Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Bananas      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 1
view profile
History
BananasPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've heard bananas referred to as "A super food" but I've also heard they spike your insulin levels pretty fast...So should I start the day with them or not? I'm trying to eat more healthy, natural foods (including more fruit instead of fruit juices) and I want to make sure I'm going about it the right way...

Thanks!
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 2
Bananas
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:02:13 PM
I honestly think that there are so many who will give you conflicting advice that the best way to make this decision is just to try it and see how it works for you. If you find that you have adequate energy and are satiated until your next meal then bananas work for you! If not, then try something else.
 Kentish-Man
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/14/2012 5:07:26 PM
Banana's main plus point is that they are a good source of potassium. This can be good if you're going to the gym as they give an quicker energy boost, but if not, to be honest, bananas are good to have at any time of the day. Tuck in :)
 What_He_Said
Msg: 4
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 2:21:46 AM
Pretty much agree with above post, esp about K+.

Serving size of a banana is also nice. Portion control.

As to 'fruit juices' all too often very little fruit juice (just read the label). Also large amounts of high fructose corn syrup.

Good luck and each healthy.
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 4:18:43 AM
Thank you! Yeah I often eat a fat free or light yogurt with a small banana in the morning. I used to have a glass of OJ (which I love) but I think now I will switch to a clementine and my coffee (with 2% milk and Splenda)

I switch it up with an egg and a piece of whole grain bread....

If I get hungry before lunch I have some almonds, a piece of string cheese and an apple

I'm struggling with dinner because I have twin 8 yr olds who really need to eat a lot after a day of school and sports! AND they are super picky!

I'm thinking pasta a veggies with chicken for them and a much smaller portion for me
 BeeRad82
Msg: 6
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 5:11:14 AM
Bro science. So long as it fits into your macronutrient goals meal/nutrient timing means nothing (or very little in most cases).
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 7:01:39 AM
A banana fitting into my what?? Naughty boy
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 8
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 2:24:54 PM
also, bananas are proof that God exists. He made bananas to exactly fit our hands..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4yBvvGi_2A

no less an authority than Kirk Cameron asserts this eternal truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNDdCzOGTI&feature=related
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 3:45:09 PM
Go figure, one of my posts has gone to the dogs, LOL

That first video was hilarious! After seeing the second one, I believe they really didn't even know the message we were ACTUALLY getting about God's banana
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 10
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 3:55:12 PM

I've heard bananas referred to as "A super food" but I've also heard they spike your insulin levels pretty fast...

There is no such thing as a super food and when you see people use these terms, they should be a sign of someone making stuff up.

So should I start the day with them or not? I'm trying to eat more healthy, natural foods (including more fruit instead of fruit juices) and I want to make sure I'm going about it the right way...

The only way to find out is to try it and see how it works for you.

Give yourself ~ 1 month to determine and positive or negative changes.

The only issues I see with bananas is the fact that most of them come from plantations where workers are basically slaves.

That and fact that one of the best Bananas of the world is all but gone from the world market thank to the WTO and what they have done in Jamaica.
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/15/2012 4:57:14 PM
I think by "superfoods" they basically mean foods that make up your daily allowance for vitamins, minerals, nutrients etc. Some say they are organic too but this article was interesting:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/10-everyday-super-foods?page=2

Honestly I don't even know where my bananas come from! It says "Chiquita" on the label so my guess is Central America
 SerendipityHappens
Msg: 12
Bananas
Posted: 3/16/2012 6:15:25 PM

The only issues I see with bananas is the fact that most of them come from plantations where workers are basically slaves.

That and fact that one of the best Bananas of the world is all but gone from the world market thank to the WTO and what they have done in Jamaica.

I was amazed when traveling to other parts of the world how different their bananas were and how many varieties there were. SO much tastier than the cavindish that we're used to in the USA. I LOVE the fat bananas. I think they're manzano? Interestingly the cavendish may become a thing of the past if that banana blight takes hold in central america. I won't shed any tears, the only reason the cavendish are popular is because they travel well but they really don't have that great of flavor compared to other varieties I've had.
 FlyGuy17
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/24/2012 7:17:06 PM
Compared to many other fruits, bananas are low in fiber and wont leave you feeling full for very long.

If you're substituting juice with whole fruits though, you're already on the right path so I wouldnt worry too much about finding the perfect fix.
 What_He_Said
Msg: 14
Bananas
Posted: 3/25/2012 5:57:37 AM

...different their bananas were and how many varieties there were. SO much tastier than the cavindish that we're used to in the USA. I LOVE the fat bananas. I think they're manzano? Interestingly the cavendish may become a thing of the past if that banana blight takes hold in central america

Excellent point. There is something to be said for biodiversity. Some are developed and cultivated extensively for export. So a few varieties predominate. Unfortunately some catastrophe may have wide impact. Think along the lines of Irish Potato Famine....
 Hummus4Ever
Msg: 15
Bananas
Posted: 3/25/2012 2:06:44 PM
I eat a banana every morning. Who doesn't like a banana? On the other hand, I don't like banana splits (bananas and ice cream just dont get together for me).

I don't know if I would eat a banana later in the day. They are sugary and give boost to your energy, so that is why I start my day with them. If I were going to workout in the afternoon or some other really physical activity, I would save the banana and eat it 30 minutes before that workout/activity.

That's what works for me. Hope it helps!

<----plaintain?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 16
Bananas
Posted: 3/26/2012 4:38:36 AM
I like a small ripe banana with organic peanut butter at least every other day
or I miss my "nanner" fix.

If I over indulge I feel like I ate bricks ( same with to much meat).
I usually eat more water and fiber rich foods.

They are good for you esp in a hot, humid state and you work out.

Electrolytes are very important esp if you dehydrate easy.

The “electrolytes”

Sodium, chlorine, potassium, calcium and magnesium are minerals which are essential for transmitting electrical impulses along nerves and for muscle contraction.

A banana should be ripe and not 10 inches
Thats a lot of banana.

For about .49-.59 a pound..I would call it a super food.

Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 3/26/2012 6:17:20 AM
Petunias: That's about a perfect breakfast! Banana, peanut butter and skim milk....Gets me off to an energetic start.

Or better yet, I have started making smoothies. 1 cup fat free milk, 1 small banana (and /or other fruits) protein powder and flax seed....Maybe even yogurt with or as a replacement for milk.

My kids are picky eaters but they love the smoothies too!
 Aphrodeity
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 4/15/2012 4:16:58 PM
Bananas are healthy for you. Make sure when you consume a banana, do not complement it with other high glycemic index foods. Check information in these sites.

http://www.sugar.ca/english/healthprofessionals/diabetes.cfm

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf
 guignol1971
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 4/16/2012 10:05:01 PM
Most people eat them unripe. Ripe bananas are brown and squishy
and the sugars are bio-available for quick use. Yellow, firm bananas
are starchy and bloating. I'm biased by personal experience because
I find firm yellow bananas difficult to digest. Your body may
run a different operating system.

Common bananas are hybridized for size and other qualities. They
will spike your insulin after you get over the bloat of digesting
the starches in the unripe food. Smaller exotic bananas at least
will tend to be less hybridized. Hybridization pumps up the starch
because the starch makes for a bulky, high-yielding crop.

If you want to make your life extra hard, freeze your bananas so
your smoothies go down cold and make your body work extra
hard to first warm up and then digest the glop you swallowed.
 friendlygirl63
Msg: 20
Bananas
Posted: 4/16/2012 10:16:13 PM
it help me can control food it better than fruit juice that hight sugar.
 L,A, Woman
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 6/29/2013 8:56:18 PM
Hey just watched a Dr. Oz recently and discovered that bananas have a chemical in them that affects people with arthritis in a horrible way. Supposedly this causes swelling or inflamation in the joints. So to get my potassium now I eat potatoes.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 6/30/2013 4:46:16 AM
You can add cinnamon to any fruit and lower the glycemic load..

Bananas are no more inflammatory than some nuts ( moderately) and much less than grains ..If eaten with a lifestyle of mostly anti inflammatory foods/fats they amount to neutral in the long run.

bananas have a chemical in them that affects people with arthritis in a horrible way.

ACK!!
Potatoes are a good source of nutrients ( the skin is the main sourse) but are nightshades and seem to cause problems in MANY with arthritis although many don't have problems with them.
If you do not get organic potatoes they are heavily pesticide laden food.
INFLAMMATORY

Watch everything you hear on Dr OZZIE and research what you hear.

Just eat what you know is healthy and if you have side effects that are not desirable then STOP eating it.

SOME may have issues with bananas and some with potatoes.
I'll take the banana
 Celina1991
Msg: 23
Bananas
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:28:53 PM
Diabetics are supposed to eat only 3 fruits a day and 1 banana is considered to be 2 fruits. Fruit of all kinds spikes blood sugar. Insulin resistance only occurs if a person is overweight.
 ElForester
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 7/6/2013 7:22:34 PM
I do know that if you're doing the low carb or low glycemic thing, bananas are a big no-no.

Probably best kept minimal if you're trying to lose weight too.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Bananas
Posted: 8/5/2013 12:15:51 AM
^^^^ agree there . Some have to watch even natural sugars in fruits if having it difficult to lose.

Banana's main plus point is that they are a good source of potassium.

^^^^^^^
Not agree IF watching "sugars" is nessesary and other food is available.

hey give an quicker energy boost

Def agree there esp before working out and again They are CHEAP and transportable.
Have it while driving to the gym or where ever.

We only need about 99 mg to 250mg of potassium depending so whats the reason for wanting extra potassium when its already in so many foods?

But lets look at some facts................ anyhoo

No slamming the banana from me but no "super food" really unless you consider the easy open carry around container called the peeling and natural sugar energy.

Actually for the glycemic load and potassium content if we are to be picky.( lets forget bananas as VERY convenient and yummy for a minute) bananas are not the best choice.

Spinach/broccoli/mushrooms/bell peppers all are full of potassium, also beef, chicken, salmon, tuna.

My fav is chicken 6 0z lean no skin 396 mg potassium( if you are a calorie counter) aprox 240 with skin add another 100 and if a carb counter zero
White tuna 6 oz 890 mg potassium and zero carbs
Salmon and beef are loaded with potassium as are veggies

Broccoli 424 grams for an ave cup and low glycemic punch.

WHY do you want/need more?

Cramps? Go for magnesium and calcium Mg 750 mg and calcium 1500 citrate form is good and do divided doses If you are using supplements..

Best source of course is FOOD..An avocado is great for magnesium but most of us need supplements of both cal/mag and D..

Insulin resistance only occurs if a person is overweight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

* sighs*

You are wrong.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Bananas