Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Capn_America
Msg: 1
In a relationship with a cellphone....Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Is it just me, or do half the POF population communicate only on their cellphones? Nothing turns me off more than sending a nicely constructed message, only to receive back a 4 word "U lok kool guy" or "Dat's hott" or some other idiotic 4 word reply.
I only think of what my sister does, she actually SLEEPS with her cellphne, in case someone texts her at 3 am.....

Does this turn you off, is it a deal-breaker for you to have a relationship with a cellphone? Do you reply to short comments made by someone who forgot basic english and can't make a regular, subject-verb-compliment sentence?
 callwilliam
Msg: 2
view profile
History
In a relationship with a cellphone....
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:39:42 AM
Sending text messages on a cell-phone is a lot more time consuming than sending a letter via e-mail.

Personally, for me, I like text messages because it gives me an opportunity to read the message and see if I forgot anything...like where and when we might meet for a first date. But other than that, typing out a long message on a cell phone is a bit time consuming.

I only see the cell phone as a means to communicate a brief message.

You might try "pre-written" messages which you save to draft.
 callwilliam
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:42:41 AM
One other thing, I would try the e-mail route. It gives a person a lot more space to express themselves, if they want to tell you about themselves.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:43:56 AM
It drives me crazy too !

I have a cellphone. It's rather old. You can make a call on it, receive a call on it, end the conversation and hang up. That's it. Only 4 people/places have the number. My children and their school's. That's it. If it rings, something is horribly wrong - so yes, I will answer it as a sole parent. I think it's rung about 3 times in the last 12 months.

I don't text and I won't text - I want a communicator.

It would be a deal breaker to me if some had a cellphone but if it was constantly attached to their ear or finger tips, it would be an issue. Unless it's an emergency or you are running a multi-million dollar company, there's really no need for it.
 HeartOn64
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:47:03 AM
I come from the generation that used rotary phones that didn't reach close enough to the fridge ....so I can't really speak on this,but I can say....TEXT SPEAK IS RIDICULOUS and if it's meant to "dummy down" and make people become society awkward and rude......IT's WORKING!

I have a 19 and 20 year old who think texting IS the only form of communication and an 11 year old who's well on her way.

You might try "pre-written" messages which you save to draft.

That way,you don't have to deal with individual messages for individuals....haha

Maybe something like.....

Yo...wut u up 2? Wanna hook up l8tr? Yur treet.
 Capn_America
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:56:57 AM

Yo...wut u up 2? Wanna hook up l8tr? Yur treet.

Yo, Huni, waz goood? Wan see ma pecker, bra?

*throws up *

Smilingeyes10
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:58:34 AM
I have my cell phone with me night and day, but that is because of my business If I get a call in the middle of the night I automatically take it. I also live 8 hours time zone away from my family and it has also been critical that I pick up and receive texts from them....

I do use it for quick communication also when I am out on the road, or out of town . Texting is easy and quick, would I have a relationship through one, absolutely NOT .. but yes I would send the occasional text through text to my SO. All in moderation....
 Meems919
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/14/2012 8:59:00 AM
"r u up 4 me?"

This was the FIRST communication hahahah

gee, lemme think......
 shin08
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:07:17 AM
text messaging and email to certain degree , I think it is still fine.
gas is expensive...:) why have to go back and forth for a person who send lunatic email or messaging ???
 Maleman999
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:07:45 AM
I don't understand why it's called Texting. Texting has nothing to do with the use of text. A much better name for it would be Typing For Retards.
 Capn_America
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:10:30 AM

I don't understand why it's called Texting. Texting has nothing to do with the use of text. A much better name for it would be Typing For Retards.

I'm more for TFD. Typing For Dummies. Can make money off a book too
 callwilliam
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:10:42 AM

I think it's rung about 3 times in the last 12 months.

Me too. Actually, I'm not a phone person at all. I never talk on the phone, except maybe to call in to work if I have to. And that type of event is less than 30 seconds. My preferred method of communication is writing. I like to write, and I like to get to know someone through them writing to me.

For now, I only have a prepaid phone mostly for emergencies. I never have an emergency. My minutes roll over and keep accumulating.
 dreamfire
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:18:43 AM
@HeartOn64- Believe it or not, I actually won concert tickets off the radio in 1979 using a rotary phone.....

Were it not for mostly business use and emergencies, I would prefer not to have one at all. It comes off my hip the moment I get home and I generally won't answer it until it goes back on in the morning. Friends know what time I get home and know I hate it, so they call the house phone.

I wouldn't say it's a drop out deal breaker, but if someone spends more time on it than interacting when they are with me, then they can be involved with it and I'll go my own way. I also much prefer a call over a text. Texting to me is impersonal.

Incidentally, I read an article in my local paper about people who answer fake calls to avoid embarrassment in the checkout line at the grocery store(i.e.-forgot their wallet, etc.) and pretend to be talking on it when actually speaking with no one to appear more important. Creepy.....
 carolann0308
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:19:42 AM

A much better name for it would be Typing For Retards.

I don't expect Shakespearean Sonnets but this is getting out of hand. Someone needs to kill all the texters.
 cooldog65
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:22:54 AM
My question has always been how did people who prefer to text communicate before cell phones?

I still prefer to talk on my cell phone. It's pretty much my computer as I do not own one. I turn it off when I go to sleep. I don't like my sleep interrupted except for...you know...

Capn..your sister is a cutie...were you adopted? Just kidding my friend..

Here's the throw up...
 christyis4real
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:24:31 AM
no, it doesn't bother me but I have noticed that a lot of the men I communicate with these days have no internet/computer at home and they use their phones for everything. I always get the "messaging on this site is a pain in the ass, can we talk on the phone" bit after 1-2 messages on here. Most of the time I ignore them because I am not going to be giving my number out to any ole body.
 Iceburg03
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:29:58 AM
It's a generational thing and I digital age thing I would say. Cellphones and instant messaging got really popular my last year in high school, and then really took of during college, also fb and myspace first started when I was in college. So if you grow up with exposures to digital messaging at a young age (teen years) then for most part it will stick with you. It is driven by two things: 1) the fact that people love attention (hence the sleeping by the phone at night) and a text is not as intrusive as a phone call, and quicker than an email and 2) the ability to communicate in a indirect way (no face to face or vocal connection) even the most timid person can send a text easily.

I remember when the word "Text" pertaining to cellphone messaging was added to the Webster's Dictionary in the early 2000s. I agree it does quiet dumb down the English language when you seen phrases like "r u there bro", "i'm bout 2 go toda library" and "daisy me rollin." But abbreviations are here to stay for a long time because if you use social networking you are forced to read them which is why everyone knows what terms like "lol, smh, lmao, brb, ttyl" mean, where as in the early 90's if we saw them we'd be like wtf...pun intended.
 callwilliam
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:31:35 AM
christyis4real:
"messaging on this site is a pain in the ass, can we talk on the phone" bit after 1-2 messages on here.

Wow! I don't know what I would do without my computer and internet connection. I haven't checked all the kinds of phones that can surf the net yet (and probably never will), but I'm just used to my laptop. Don't see any kind of keyboards on phones like a computer keyboard.
 Julietsdestiny
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:34:20 AM
Cell phone messages are evidence.
"I never said that!".....Oh yes you did.....Let me show you.
My cell phone is used to communicate between my friends, is an alarm, tells me the time and allows me to accept and make calls.
I do not jump when it 'sings'. I control IT and IT does not control ME!
 callwilliam
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:42:42 AM
Julietsdestiny:
Cell phone messages are evidence.

Maybe that scares people. I don't see it as evidence so much (as being used against a person) as I do more as an evaluation of the person. Do they keep obligations and agreements reached through writing? Verbal communication is hard to prove and even for some people harder to remember. That is why I like written communication. It assists in the evaluation process.
 gingerchick30
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:45:39 AM
I love the "ur hawt" or "what u wanna do?" messages. I'm like, about what?? Global Warming? the gas prices? The price of tea in China?? lol!!
 jessrar9
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/14/2012 9:56:22 AM
It really pisses me off when I am out with a friend say for dinner and they're texting the whole time. One time I pulled my phone out and sent a friend a text message to put their phone away.
My ex was really bad, it was to the point where I would make him leave his phone at home if we went out and he would keep it under his pillow at night. But I guess that's just because he was hiding his cheating.

Text slang really annoys me.. minus "lol". My 66 year old aunt will text me and say "how r u", "c u soon", "ttyl", and things like that but I think it's hilarious when she does it.

If a guy messages me on here and says something like "how r u" or something stupid like that I just don't reply. It's stupid and lazy in my opinion.

This got long, sorry. haha
 _PassionFlower
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:00:22 AM
if u text clearly, they will eventually step up their texting equitte....they will start to mirror u. it takes time. u can usually tell if they are truly dumb if they continue to text in the ways u mentioned, then they need to be thrown back in to the water.
 callwilliam
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:08:27 AM
jessrar9:
It really pisses me off when I am out with a friend say for dinner and they're texting the whole time.

I consider that rude, and it definitely is a deal breaker for me. I might as well go out to dinner by myself since the other person would be preoccupied anyway.

Maybe "the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior".
 CalypsoRach
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 10:18:17 AM

I guess I am at times. I'd rather have communication than not speak to the person. Of late I don't even mind texts as long as it's in English rather than text speak. A relationship after all can be on many levels for relatives/partners or friends.

Does this turn you off, is it a deal-breaker for you to have a relationship with a cellphone?

It doesn't turn me off only poor use of it turns me off.

Do you reply to short comments made by someone who forgot basic english and can't make a regular, subject-verb-compliment sentence?

I doubt they would have my number if they couldn't speak a word of English or had a love for text speak . So if they genuinely had something they want to say I don't think it would be in hav2hookup2.

Just to say you have thought of me that day for me is a good thing. After all I can pick up the phone too and call the person or get in the car and go see them when I am able to.. So I guess it varies on your own tolerance levels.

Texting me at 3am for a none emergency situation would not sit well with me at all. but saying that I doubt I'd hear the text lol a phone call would work though. I would expect someone would have the respect to consider that I am sleeping.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > In a relationship with a cellphone....