Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Dating someone younger.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 chmraptor
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have been given this suggestion by quite a few people lately. "You should try dating someone younger." There reason for this idea is most girls my age ether have kids already and don't want any more or, if they do not have any, don't want any at all. Having a family including (a) kid(s) is something I want. Seems I spent to much time with the wrong person in recent years believing that was going to happen. So i am entertaining the idea. With that said I'm not looking for someone just to have a kid with. I still want the right person regardless of age. Over the last year I have dated a few girls that where younger then me. As young as 22, I was 31 at the time. The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me. Aside from that I didn't see it working because of the gap in age. Two people with an age gap of 5-10 years can coexist and interact as adults. It is true thou what they say, nothing makes up for experience. An age gap of 5-10 years doesn't seem like a whole lot as an adult until you really sit down and start sharing and comparing life experiences. You suddenly come to the realization that, yes this person is a mature adult, but they have a lot more living to do before they reach the same point in life that I am at. So while I am open to this idea, I have had some experience with it and I am skeptical. Have any of you experienced dating someone younger? Or do you know anyone that have meet and have a long term relationship and or marriage with someone that is significantly younger then they are? I'd like to hear from both men and women.
 boarderdad50
Msg: 2
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 9:54:39 AM
Age is just an indicator of the potential for growth and the potential for maturity, use it as a guide for starting out but when it comes down to it you need to get to know the individual to see if she will be a fit or not regardless of her age.

I know a really nice girl that is 26 and I am 33, we have gone out a few times with mutual friends and talk at the local pub every so often. I am attracted to her but based on our conversations she as you said just isnt up to the same point in life I am. Nothing against her but I could see it being an issue in a relationship but is fine as a friend.
 abelian
Msg: 3
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 10:22:45 AM

The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me.

Well apparently, neither are the women your own age, so I don't see why you're singling out age as being a problem.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 4
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 11:35:32 AM

It is true thou what they say, nothing makes up for experience.

"Experience" at what?

Age is simply a chronological measure of the number of years you have been on the planet.
It does not automatically have any bearing on what you have done with those years.
What experience does a 50 year old who has never left the small town they grew up in have, versus a 30 year old who has seen the world?

The few that i dated that where much younger where simply not the right match for me.

What made you decide that? Was it JUST their age? Or they didn't share the same values? Or same lifestyle? Or same goals?

redsox322
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 12:09:28 PM
O usually only date younger because I find the same problem with guys my age they have too many kids or exwives and im not a fan of either. I want my own family I dont feel like I need to or should have to take care of someone elses child. Plus younger people imo are usually more fun to hang around and still can party
 excessivemayhem
Msg: 6
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 7:28:18 PM
yeah i've dated someone younger. much younger. we found we had nothing in common and she cheated on me, which ended the relationship...from now on i will never date a woman younger than 28 ....oy
 m_church
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/28/2012 7:53:32 PM

Well apparently, neither are the women your own age, so I don't see why you're singling out age as being a problem.

You really do have a gift for cutting to the heart of the problem....
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 8
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:20:20 AM
OP... your question, obviously is important to you... but please, please do a subject search before doing so again. This age thing by older men who feel they have to discredit women of their own age in order to justify (in their minds), dating younger women -- has been done over and over and over. Also the age threads about women dating younger.
And the threads about younger wanting to date older.
Soon it becomes a gender-bashing topic.
I hate it!
You are looking for approval to date younger women.
Who cares!
Just do it.
 Capn_America
Msg: 9
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:54:54 AM
I've been told the same as OP. Having a 9 y old and a 3 y old myself....I look at an 18 y old and can almost, ALMOST see my daughter, save for some exception.
And every time almost, I've felt like a pedophile for dating someone way younger than me. HOWEVER, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the level of maturity of some kids nowadays, and also the fact they are VERY un-jaded. It's a pleasant surprise, because it allows for a relationship withtout problems, concentrating on the laughter instead of the drama.
Plenty of time for that latter when she grows up
 JoseMadre
Msg: 10
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:10:40 AM
Two of my best friends are married. He's 45. She's 30. Great relationship, perfect pairing. If anything, she is more mature than he is. It is all dependent upon the individuals involved. Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. Ritchie Blackmore and Candice Night. I'm sure there are many, many others.
 mike_bass
Msg: 11
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/31/2012 6:12:26 PM
Well iv got to say it I'm 44 and iv bin dateing a girl that is 23 we bin together for 3 years and its over as of last week she cheated on me never agen will I go with such a age gap
 Renee326
Msg: 12
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 3/31/2012 7:15:08 PM
I dated younger, well had a fling with younger. I wanted a different type of excitement in my life. I kind of fell for him and got the hell out it because i was falling and didn't want to hear from him, "but your too old". He might not have felt that way, but i didnt want to take any chances. lol. But the memories are amazing!
 helpmeahhh
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/1/2012 12:08:53 PM
I've found economics and different personalities to be much worse than age gaps. Poor working class guy dating a rich princess for instance. Very rarely does that work.
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 14
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/1/2012 4:41:25 PM
the natural order of things is for men to date younger women and take younger wives... i have been all over the map age wise with my dating, but ya, younger is typically better for men...

that doesn't mean every younger woman you go out with will be a perfect match, but still in the long run....its supposed to work better for both involved.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/1/2012 8:41:25 PM
The last few guys I have dated have been 5-8 years younger than me. I haven't felt the age difference. I'd usually date older guys, but now it seems guys my age and older have kids and are divorced - and that's just not my thing.
 excessivemayhem
Msg: 16
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/1/2012 11:13:20 PM
charlie girl 2's answer was fascinating...and to me, correct.
 Hibiscus718
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:37:47 PM
Dating someone younger is tricky....not tooting my own horn but am constantly meeting younger men because they think am their age. When they find out that am older they surprisgly want to prove a pt and continue to date me...while I wt to run the other way! Why, well it depends on their age actually: a man in his mid to late 20's is a no no for me, especially here in S. FL...there is so many pretty women that MOST of these men just want to get at all these women because they can... and hey there is nothing wrong with that, isn't that what men do in their twenties? But am not interesting in being one of those women, while at the same time tell me that u "get me" and my generation and "age is just a number"...exactly I wish folks would stop pretending like age doesn't mk a difference....I've already finished school, went on to get a post grad degree and am already established my career. whilst a man in his mid 20's is possibly just getting started and is just not where i am in life...so they r less likely to want to tk the next "SAME" step as I am. Now I have dated men in their early 30's and some of the sme issues can come up, but at the end of the day if they are ready then its cool...but if they get hesitate after dating u for 3 or 4 yrs then u've just used up ur prime 30's with someone (MEN) who's clock ain't ticking and could just keep it moving at any time...tread lightly...everyone is an indivdual.
 xrenee22
Msg: 18
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:31:01 PM
Try someone younger it can never hurt. I find myself attracted to older men.. my last relationship the man was 20 years older then me. We had a blast but things just didn't work out.. never hurts to try
 vampyreshadow
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/6/2012 5:51:17 PM
My ex coworker is dating a 24 year old guy, shes 37 seems to be working ok for her, been together for 4 years now. I got lots of offers on that, but I won't do it.
 pyarmaleaach
Msg: 20
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/7/2012 5:17:08 AM
The 31 to 22 age gap isn't too bad. The gap that disgusts me is the 22 with 46 combination; I guess because I have a 20 year old daughter and if I caught a man at that advanced age trying to go after her, I'd destroy him.

Nevertheless, I am almost 39 and I would like to expand my family. (Yes, I'd like to settle down again and have a meaningful life with somebody and maybe have another child. I love motherhood.) Not all of us older women have given up on this.

I wish you well in your search.
 Ravewitme
Msg: 21
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/9/2012 5:17:37 PM
I dated younger, well had a fling with younger. I wanted a different type of excitement in my life. I kind of fell for him and got the hell out it because i was falling and didn't want to hear from him, "but your too old". He might not have felt that way, but i didnt want to take any chances. lol. But the memories are amazing!

Yep I have done this! Only I stuck around too long. He never actually said I was too old but I obviously was for what he wanted his future to be.....kids etc I got too attached even tho I was fully aware there was no future.

Dating someone younger is ok as long as your expectations/objectives are clear AND you can realistically keep your emotions under wraps and just enjoy it for what it is 15-20 year age gap is pretty hard to go beyond 'friends with benefits' I think ??
 trh1268
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/10/2012 8:34:08 PM
If two people enjoy each others company and accept each other regardless of age, that's all it counts 1+1=2
 Complexitity
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/12/2012 1:54:40 AM
I strongly believe that attraction (and love) works on three levels: physical, emotional and intellectual.

I also believe that those things are not age determined. That said, it is often more likely you will have intellectual and emotional attraction with someone of a similar age due to experiences.

*shrug* There is no set and fast rule, in my option at least. Though there is a formula:

"The Creep Equation
your age, divided by two, and add 7 - to - your age, minus 7, times two.

This is your dating age boundary"

Blarrgh to that *grin*
 The5foota
Msg: 24
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/12/2012 8:26:12 PM
The only thing about dating someone 22 is that eventually the will end up doing some 22 y/o s**t lol
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 25
Dating someone younger.
Posted: 4/12/2012 8:33:53 PM
It would make a lot more sense to expand on your thread and include the people who have dated older, them being the younger person in the relationship. Asking them what they expected, what they hoped for, and if they were mature enough to handle a relationship with a mature older person.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Dating someone younger.