Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Guys using emoticons?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 1
Guys using emoticons?Page 1 of 1    
As some of you may have noticed, I like using emoticons. In particular, I'd say the eyeroll one on these forum fits my expression pretty well. I've always used them a lot online; I figure the vaguely sarcastic side of me could be mistaken as mean or serious otherwise. In real life, I'm usually pretty expressive with my body language. That said, how do you feel about a guy who uses them?

Keep in mind, I'm really young and the girls I do talk to are young as well. I usually stick with one of the these:

^^'
O_o'
 Twitch369
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/28/2012 10:19:49 PM
I use the =), =D, and =P a lot. I'm kind of curious as to the answer on this as well. But basically I'm in the same boat as you, young and don't want what I'm saying to be taken as serious.
 sainbain
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/28/2012 10:32:35 PM
I think as long as it's kept to a minimum it's fine. I sometimes do the winky-face one if I'm joking around. It becomes a turnoff when they are overused or used randomly. Especially the animated ones: when you get a page full of those, it's liable to make your eyes bleed.
 1bellanella
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 6:56:07 AM
I would MUCH rather see an emoticon than a bunch of lols and hahas sprinkled throughout the text. As a previous poster said, however, please use them sparingly.
 IronBelle
Msg: 5
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:20:12 AM
Face to face, I love emotions. I can tell sarcastic people when in person and dig it. On line? not so much. Not that a fear someone being * mean * to me, it is too hard to tell and sometimes I am hesitant to respond in thought of feeding a mean person a response.

We all know as regular on line users these things can be misread. I will not ever include them in an e mail. Now if I meet someone, you bet I will roll my eyes and goof off.
 funinsun32
Msg: 6
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:37:05 AM
I use them and I agree, using them sparingly can help to get a better sense of one's personality and emotion behind the typing. Even "lol" can help with a response that is dripping with some sarcasm. My sense of humor often is misconstrued through test or Email because it is often layered with a sarcastic undertone.
 Viewtiful_Me
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:33:12 AM
The more bubbly the girl is, the more they seem to like 'em. The last girl I've been talking with says she loves that I use them, so hey! I usually stick to :p, O_o and the good 'ol ^_^

Side note to the OP, what's your username from? I think it means Swallow Flip or something like that, just wanted to know what you're referencing. ^_^ (possibly improper emoticon use there)
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 8
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:58:30 AM
It's roughly translated as Swallow Reversal or Swallow Return. It's a sword technique from Japanese lore. I like the version from Fate / Stay Night in particular.
 prometheus76
Msg: 9
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 11:39:46 AM
I find it hard not to use emoticons when I want to make sure my target knows I'm being playful.
 ManOfNature
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:08:16 PM
I always look at her profile and messages to see if she uses them. If she does, I'll use them in my messages. If not, I won't.
 BRDeb
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 12:29:18 PM
I tend to send smileys and winks to show that I like something or when something can be interpretted two ways. That being said, I DO NOT like the POF emoticons. I find the bouncy ones and the ones that run back and forth to be well....creepy!!! Oh and let's not even talk about the dancing pickle. That's just WRONG!!!

Maybe I'm just old but I remember when I first started emailing a guy about a decade ago and he used "loooool" in just about every sentence. I really didn't know what lol was back then and having it all drawn out like that was different so as I read his sentence I pronounced it in my mind. It kind of sounded like he was getting his jollies...NEXT!
 idachinju
Msg: 12
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 6:24:15 PM
Emoticons are part of online chatter. We have all become accustomed to using them...well I guess most of us anyways gender doesn't really enter into it, does it?
Considering your age, its just part of your everyday communications (texts) isn't it? So I say use 'em if you want, if you don't fine by me.
Personally, I think it helps convey your attitude in the message, especially if it can be misconstrued differently than you intend. And I have a habit of signing my board/forum posts with a smiley sticking out a tongue.

brad29483
Msg: 13
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/29/2012 7:27:58 PM
I do it to mock others

As a young male, you should try to look less like a girlfriend or gay male friend, so the less emoticons, the better. Think Alpha-male, he wont be sending smileys, he is out doing stupid sh!t that will get him killed or paralyzed.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/30/2012 11:00:41 AM
I personally only like :) and :P . I don't think I'd like a guy who uses any others and ESPECIALLY not the eye-rolling one.
 lad3da
Msg: 15
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/31/2012 2:55:15 PM
I prefer for the guy to use them sparingly and the simple ones like =) =p =( (if in r/s the kiss one) ...and mostly in joking ways not serious e-expression lol
[Those are the only ones I tend to type out talking to 'randoms', I never use the actual yellow emoticon guy unless it's my gf or bf, so perhaps that's why lol
 DanceyFace
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:41:30 PM
I like when my guy uses emoticons. I think it's cute; however, I can see how it would bug some people.
 PutYouOnBlast
Msg: 17
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:51:56 PM
I like using emoticons from time to time. The ones that I like the best I am not able to use on pof, as some of them are 'unusual'.
 Ratsrule
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:57:06 PM
I massively over use the :-) just because i use it where other girls may use xxx .... sounds stupid but I reserve kisses for people i actually want to kiss.

I like guys that use them

(as long as they don't use loads with lololol and then all in text speak... that just makes them look illiterate)
 UK_bleedblue
Msg: 19
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:00:21 PM
Nah, I never use them. Ever. They're totally lame. -_-

Since all women are inherently psychic, I expect them to use their abilities to understand sarcasm and humor without an :) or ;-) or :D or even Lad3da's favorite =p. I also refuse to clutter a perfectly sarcastic email with a bunch of lol haha lmao rotf or any other acronyms expressing my hilariousness. The only new-age manuscript that I will occasionally include in a message is the superword made by joining separate words together. Who's with me here? Everyoneisthanksabunch.
 LukeT77
Msg: 20
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 4/2/2012 4:27:11 AM
My messages are usually laced with text-based smileys (as opposed to the animated image-based emoticons on PoF).

It's about as close to adding a tone to your words as you can get without actually speaking them.

I do use the animated emoticons on these forums, but I try to be more sparing with those as they can be distracting and 'busy' if used in too great a concentration.

My latest edition to my stable of smileys is my 'wicked face': >:-D
 Bravs
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Guys using emoticons?
Posted: 4/2/2012 9:01:54 AM
used sparingly I wouldn't see a big problem with them,
its easier to tell someone your just messing around or joking with a simple ";)" then the "omg lol im only joking"
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Guys using emoticons?