Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cats in my garden.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jessrar9
Msg: 1
Cats in my garden.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So I have a question.

My neighbors cats have been using my flower beds and vegetable garden as their litter box. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them out besides killing them? (kidding) But seriously. It is so bad that I actually have to dig it all up and replace all of the soil. It's not going to be cheap. My vegetables weren't even edible last year because of it.

My plan last year was to buy some barbed wire and lay it down under like an inch of soil but I have a baby now and I am sure he will be into my gardens and don't want him to get hurt.

So something that will deter cats but yet be safe for my baby.

I was thinking of buying an airsoft gun and shooting them with it whenever they come into my yard. It would just hurt them a little bit and hopefully scare them away for good. No?

I myself have two cats but they stay.in.the.house because we live in a friggen town not out on an farm or something.
 FoxyMoron74
Msg: 2
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 7:53:44 AM

I was thinking of buying an airsoft gun and shooting them with it whenever they come into my yard. It would just hurt them a little bit and hopefully scare them away for good. No?

Er no. You have 2 cats but would shoot at another cat?? Thats really not at all nice. Regardless of where they crap you can't shoot animals unless you want to be known as the crazy cat killer.

Have you thought about getting some very cheap plastic netting and putting it over the top of the flower and veggie areas? They wont like that at all and it will deffo deter them.

Try planting some chili plants there, cats dont like chili and that also might work, as well as putting some orange and lemon segments on the soil. You can also buy stuff from pet stores that are safe for other animals and children to be around that deter cats.

Good luck
 fall-blossom
Msg: 3
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 7:58:51 AM
There is a motion activated sprinkler. Maybe get one of those?

I have a male cat that frequents my yard and sprays everywhere . A couple of summers ago one male cat would spray my toddler's sandbox. This current male of course is trying to get under my female cat's skirt. The poor guy sits in the yard and doesn't leave and is very affectionate. I don't know when he eats or who owns him. I am thinking of taking him to the humane society so the owners have to pick him up, but then I won't know the fate of this cat if I do this.
 VADERPRIME
Msg: 4
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:02:02 AM
We had a similar problem w./ my neighbors cat...but it kept peeing on all the outdoor chair cushions and welcome mats. (neighbor didn't seem to care after talking to her)
..I went to the town and they lent me their cat trap... I caught it, brought it over to the neighbor's house.. and said..next time it goes to the humane society.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:09:17 AM
Complicated, but effective and funny. Ditto on the motion activated sprinkler system..much less complicated than this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

And please do not fall for the mothball or other toxic compound strategy. The napthalene in mothballs will be taken up by your food.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 6
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:19:07 AM
I don't know if this works but I've heard the scent of oranges is not appealing to cats and know of people who put orange peel in the soil at their allotments. It's will of course just compost down over time and is perfectly safe for your child. It might be worth a try although it will depend on the size of your garden and the amount of oranges you can physically eat ! LOL
 VADERPRIME
Msg: 7
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:22:23 AM
used coffee grinds, and marigolds too..
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 8
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:27:05 AM
Interesting thread. When I let her out of the house, I keep an eye on my cat to make sure she doesn't think my raised-beds are giant litter boxes for her. So far, she's been good, and only uses the sand around the perimeter.

My neighbors cats have been using my flower beds and vegetable garden as their litter box. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep them out besides killing them? (kidding) But seriously. It is so bad that I actually have to dig it all up and replace all of the soil. It's not going to be cheap. My vegetables weren't even edible last year because of it.

I was thinking of buying an airsoft gun and shooting them

This would not be a good idea, as it could get you arrested. It's also not warranted.
 chameleonf
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:33:34 AM
If you're thinking of going to the trouble of staking yourself out to shoot at them, use a long range super soaker instead.
 windchymes
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 8:48:49 AM
I think the motion-detector sprinkler sounds the most effective, although it sounds like it might be costly.....I don't know, I didn't research the costs, lol. But the cats definitely would hate it and the plants would benefit.

I've seen products in the pet stores that are supposed to deter cats, too, stuff you sprinkle or spray around the garden. Cat-Be-Gone, or something like that.
 red_fir
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:01:47 AM
Get a large dog!
 windchymes
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:23:40 AM
Then you gotta keep HIM from pooping in the garden!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:30:10 AM
http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/diy-cat-deterrents.htm

If you are going to take the time to do the stake out, as one person pointed out, the cheapest, easiest tool is the garden hose. Using those soft pellet things litters the yard and could put their eye out.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 9:56:38 AM
In the UK they sell lion dung. I have a friend that swears by it.
 darknight48
Msg: 15
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:19:56 AM
half fill large plastic bottles with water,sunlight reflecting off it puts them off going as will shiny bowl see relection,crazy but it works!!!
 NellieBly
Msg: 16
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:24:07 AM
Um, why are we punishing cats for being cats? If it were a bunch of kids pulling the flowers out of the garden you would talk to the parents, correct? I don't think you would shoot them with anything. I would talk to the owners and explain to them how this is affecting your garden and how you both can resolve this issue.

Let the owner be partially responsible. We know that they are 100% responsible but it just sounds friendlier if you both pitch in. Don't explain how your cats never do this. It will just sound like "not my kid!".
 soicat
Msg: 17
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:34:21 AM
Have you tried talking to the cats?
 jessrar9
Msg: 18
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:38:23 AM
@ Message 2 - It's not like it's going to kill them, just sting and scare them. When my brother was little he would shoot our pets with them all of the time. heh

@ Message 3 - Water doesn't phase them and there is at least 5 different ones that are in and out all day.

@ Message 4 - I think cat traps might be illegal here, I might ask the town for a few though.

@ Message 5 - I don't want anything toxic as my child might ingest it also.

@ Message 6 - I tried orange peels, dind't work. :(

@ Message 7 - I use coffee grinds in my soil especially around my tomatoes and my one garden that they frequent ONLY has marigolds in it. So that doesn't work!

I guess maybe I should have wrote a list of sh*t that I tried.

I tried, cayanne pepper, orange peels, coffee grinds, some special stuff that you could buy to sprinkle in your garden where the main ingredient was caspasin (sp?), spraying them with water, throwing stuff at them, kicked one. These cats are friggen resiliant.

I also talked to my neighbours. There are at least 5 different cats that come shit/piss in my garden and it's attracting more and more. Last year I got into a fight with my neighbour about his cat because his is the one who brings the other cats around, he's NEVER in the house. I don't see the point of having an outside cat when you live IN TOWN!
 jessrar9
Msg: 19
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:39:25 AM

Have you tried talking to the cats?

hahaha
Yes, I nicely asked them to stay the eff out of my garden and then not so nicely.
 junipermoon
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:54:10 AM
maybe dig a special plot just for them. leave the center bare dirt and line the perimeter with catnip. that would distract them while giving them a place to do what they do best.

fence in your vegetable garden using chicken wire. cats typically go for what they find easiest. if you have barriers up around your vegetables and a more efficient alternative for them, they'll go for the simpler route. unless you get one who particularly enjoys problem-solving.

good luck!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 11:23:49 AM
Junipeer has my way of thinking.

Realize why it is the cats do what they do: they poop in the garden, because you loosened the soil there, and made it easier for them. Instead of trying to drive them away from what they are after, set up a better attraction elsewhere in the yard. Maybe just buy a bunch of sand, and make a small sand pit for them. A sort of outdoor catbox.
 NellieBly
Msg: 22
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 11:40:16 AM
Realize why it is the cats do what they do: they poop in the garden, because you loosened the soil there, and made it easier for them. Instead of trying to drive them away from what they are after, set up a better attraction elsewhere in the yard. Maybe just buy a bunch of sand, and make a small sand pit for them. A sort of outdoor catbox.

I have a flower bed on my front lawn, wide open, no fence. There are cats in the neighborhood (lady up the street created an outside house for them and takes care of them so sometimes they walk around the neighborhood). I can honestly say I never had this problem. I do have a little edgeing around the flower bed but that's all.

There is something drawing in the cats.
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 1:54:39 PM
quote[My plan last year was to buy some barbed wire and lay it down under like an inch of soil but I have a baby now and I am sure he will be into my gardens and don't want him to get hurt.]

Electric fence for cattle!! Just kidding!! Lucky you, where I live gardens have to be done in a cage with a top to keep the wildlife from eating the whole thing
Just remember that in this day and age if you injure your neighbors pet, even with an airsoft gun or paintball, pellet, slingshot, you might end up arrested on animal cruelty charges and even get jail time, not to mention probably needing to move
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:33:02 PM
Has anyone had sucess with motion detection activated acoustic repellants? They run on batteries, emit sound that repels cats, but is not heard by humans, nor bother dogs and birds. The frequency is modulated for cats, kinda like the Mosquito devices engineered to chase teenagers from loitering in front of businessess.
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2

The guy I work with was going through the same thing, having the best outdoor kitty litter spot in the neighborhood between his tomatoes. He tried many things shy of sonic, but in the end, just one Doberman took care of the issue.
Research on what kinds of music or sound repell cats.
Kid repellants.
http://www.movingsoundtech.com/
 OopstooLate
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Cats in my garden.
Posted: 3/31/2012 3:49:56 PM
Jess,
Cat traps aren't illegal in Edmonton. They just have to be approved ones and you can rent them from the pound I believe. My father does this regularly, especially since he got in trouble for using pellet guns...Ugh
I would be careful though, while I feel your pain, remember that pissing off your neighbors is a bad idea.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Cats in my garden.