Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > teenagers going vegan      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 missmaddy
Msg: 1
teenagers going veganPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
some close friends of mine have 2 daughters 13 and 15 who have decided to "go vegan". their parents and i are close and have been friends for a long time. their kids even call me aunt maddy. their parents and i worrry that they arent getting the nurition they need, and since going vegan they live off of pop tarts, soda and pb and j. mostly processed foods. and neither like veggies. and they refuse to go back to a regular diet. is this a safe diet for such young girls? i cant imagine they are getting the right amount of nutrition.
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 10:49:37 AM
The teens seem to not understand vegan diet... as theirs is actually not vegan, but some oddball version of it.

I have been raw food vegan and in that feel it was healthy. perhaps you can get them some books on what a REAL vegan eats.
It certainly is not that fast food, sugar laden diet they are eating.

There are various type of vegans... these girls need education. They also need a good blender.. introduction to green smoothies, vegan cookbooks.. etc.
 missmaddy
Msg: 3
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 10:52:37 AM
books are a good idea. i hadnt thought of that. wouldnt you think if what they wanted was a healthier diet they would stop eating all that preservative packed food? i think eating that crap is worse than meat.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 4
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 10:53:29 AM

and since going vegan they live off of pop tarts, soda and pb and j. mostly processed foods. and neither like veggies. and they refuse to go back to a regular diet. is this a safe diet for such young girls?

That's not a good diet for anyone.
 laskoboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 10:57:10 AM
I think with the right education, they can do well on a vegan diet..........

they can drink green smoothies. Look into some books by Victoria Butanko
and share the recipes with them.. they will not miss sugar if they know other things to eat.
You can help them very much in understanding how to be vegan. I do not feel its a bad thing.. however the version they have is bad.

They can learn to ferment veggies to spice them up, try kiminchi recipes, make enery bars from dried druit and nuts........

They lack education. You can help very much in getting it to them.

http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/veganfoodpyramid/vegan_food_pyramid.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9RoIfjELKI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fah1AOPB0tE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48656UxvPY&feature=related
 OopstooLate
Msg: 6
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 11:16:11 AM
This reminds me of when my sister stopped eating meat. She was essentially looking for an excuse to cut back on most foods and have to answer fewer questions when she refused to eat. She was anorexic.

However I stopped eating meat at the same time, but I used a special plan that slowly cut the meat out of the diet. It eliminated red meat first, so I still ate chicken and fish for the first year (though it was supposed to be 3).

I would say what they are doing is dangerous, but they are doing it in such away that if you "force" them to eat properly it would go against their ideals.

I was a vegan for about 9months back in my early 20s. In that space of time I got the flu 3 times (I rarely get sick even once a year), once so badly that I lost consciousness. When I could finally move I went straight to the grocery store for yogurt, cheese and milk. I ate very well, lots of chick peas and beans and all sorts of veggies so despite eating well I know I still require some form of dairy.

One thing that it did do for me was drop my cholesterol levels so low that my Dr was absolutely baffled. He was very proud (lol) that they (good and bad levels) were comparable, even competitive, to those seen in the people of Okinawa.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 7
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 11:48:51 AM
I'm going out on a limb here but teenagers are odd creatures...I think they are interested in being Vegan because it's different. It makes them 'interesting' among their peers. Many go through this phase as teenagers, as they are trying on different hats and trying to work out who they are as individuals.

Based on the diet they are eating, I think they are more interested in the label of being Vegan then the ethics/health benefits etc. They might also have decided on this as a calorie cutting means, so be aware of that.

Have a little chat with them and see why they have chosen this. Not in a judgmental way but just to see if it's really what they want or simply, what they think they want to be 'cool'.

I suspect, that regardless of their real motivation, they will make all the right noises about the health benefits, cruelty to animals, the wrongs of modern day farming practices etc. As part of that conversation, explain that what they are doing is not Vegan by any definition of the word but that you are their parents will help them 'do it right'. Then, armed with some books to support your eating plan, go for it - fully !

Take the PB & J out of the house after explaining that it does not fit in with the Vegan diet. Remove the pop. Bring in a blender and start doing it right. A nice bright green vegetable smoothie to greet them at the morning breakfast table. LOL Leave them with no options but to do it properly. No crap in the house for them to snack on should they not like 'just that one' recipe. All or nothing.

Within about a week, one of two things will happen. They will either embrace it but at least they will be getting their nutritional requirements. Or they will suddenly decide it's not really for them ! LOL I'm thinking it will be the later most likely.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 8
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:09:50 PM

Take the PB & J out of the house after explaining that it does not fit in with the Vegan diet. Remove the pop. Bring in a blender and start doing it right. A nice bright green vegetable smoothie to greet them at the morning breakfast table. LOL Leave them with no options but to do it properly. No crap in the house for them to snack on should they not like 'just that one' recipe. All or nothing.
Agreed.

Cut the crap out of the equation and you'd be surprised how little they care about the actual dietary guidelines that should be followed as a vegan.
 Paul K
Msg: 9
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:25:25 PM
Hey OP

I think that your problem is not so much what they eat or don't eat, because girls at the age of 13/15 have a tendency to be flighty, and something else will catch their fancy, and this current trend towards being vegan will go away.

Being vegan is a lifestyle comitment, and is not one that one just decides to do unless they have been promoted rather heavily. I would worry more about the fact that kids that age have a tendency to follow certain trends that are not good for them, and I would want to know WHY they want to be vegan now, and WHO it was that convinced them that this was a better way.

As far as throwing everything in a blender, and living on that.......... You really need to do some research on what the human body needs to live at a healthy level, and you will see that you are not going to be able to get it from a blender. At this point in their lives proper nutrition is very vital to their growth, and the rest of their lives. If they ignore that fact, thwy could very easily lead a life of constantly being weakly and sick.

Paul K
 laskoboo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 12:39:14 PM
Once they figure out they can eat ice cream every day ( fruit and veggie version)
kale chips
and all the amazing food vegan diet has to offer, they may never look back.

I wish my kids had some interest in vegan... but there is zip and nadda interest.

They will drink the smoothies and love them but they also love fast food.

The best blender for vegans is a high powered blender and tey start at about 200 dollars. Mine was 400. I use it daily still, even though sometimes eat chicken or fish...............

I prefer a vegan lifesyle but sometimes the creativity wanes. OP you could also order some vegan cooking magazines for them.
If i'd known you could eat ice cream everyday( vegan type) when i was young I'd been vegan my whole life.

In the high powered blenders they are much more than a blender, they also process food.
My adversion to meat is farmed meat and cruelty to animals....
Maybe them too?
Introduce them to PETA
get them some BEAN cookbooks... show them around the kitchen.. with any luck they will start to cook and get good at it, learn about food too.

Lucky damn parents if that happens !

my kids love a good fast food burger, know nothing about food farms and do not care to be bothered with any of it.

stupid music on this link, but here are some recipe ideas.. yummy stuff. who needs meat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m41dnzXpZQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CPEYXbr7Do&feature=related
 Paul K
Msg: 11
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 1:38:06 PM
Just out of curiousity, how did vegans ever survive before the advent of the blender, and "as seen on TV", to buy it from? Anybody who thinks that being a vegan is something that has been around for ages is sorely mistaken.

Man has been comsuming meat since the beginning of time. Except for Fred Flinstone, I find it hard to believe that cave man had a place to plug in his high powered $400.00 blender.

Hey Holy.......

You wrote:
"Introduce them to PETA
get them some BEAN cookbooks... show them around the kitchen.. with any luck they will start to cook and get good at it, learn about food too.

Lucky damn parents if that happens !"

PETA? Shirley, you jest......... and you would be happy because they would be better off, or because they are doing something you don't/can't do?

Paul K
 femaleconnection
Msg: 12
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 1:47:07 PM
I love to eat meat, but I do know we can get all of the same benefits from eating legumes, nuts and beans. Humans only began enjoying to eat meat when we discovered fire.

Being vegan shouldnt mean living with drinking your dinner. Nor should it mean eating junk food.

I have a few relatives who are vegan...they eat very well, have no issues getting enough protien and dont live with drinking thier meals in a blender.

Most people in N America ingest way too much meat. We actually dont need alot if we are eating properly, from ALL food groups.
 laskoboo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 1:49:11 PM
yes PETA........
cruelty to animals.
Watch movie FOOD INC and come back and tell me you can eat beef or pork again.

Never before now was there the kind of meat there is now............ all injected with hormones, cattle fed grains which blow their liverds out as they want to produce meat. They do not care how sick the animal is, what condition its organs are in... and they want YOU to buy the pink slime and other crap they sell. meat is not what it used to be.

Cancer rates are up too.

if you find an affordable means of grass fed cattle that is kosher killed... then go for it... but the other I will not touch, esp beef and pork.

YOUR PARENTS never ate the crap they now sell as meat. Meat was different once upon a time ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQVll-MP3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhlhSQ5z4V4

far as needing a blender to be vegan.. not really required but who has time to do all that chopping and cutting?
 Paul K
Msg: 14
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 2:14:57 PM
Hey holy..........

You wrote:
"YOUR PARENTS never ate the crap they now sell as meat. Meat was different once upon a time ago."

My parents never had $400.00 blender either. My point is that times change. I find it hard to support any group that places welfare of animals about welfare of humans, and PETA does just that. They are VERY carefull about how the word things that they say so as to appear to be "normal", but they are one of the most fringe groups out there.

Paul K
 laskoboo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 3:07:36 PM
Support who you wish.

This thread about teens interested in veganism... peta is a part of many who are vegan, myself included. It is unfortuante I did not know more about either in my teen years.
I could maybe have prevent my cancer.

my 400 dollar blender was worth every penny ! .. I use it more than the pots and pans.
I used it today to make energy bars with dried fruit... yum ! crushed a bunch of almonds in like 10 seconds.
The dry mixer was an additional 100 or more... so more like 500 plus for the blender, but a regular one can be used for beginners... long as it has a powerful motor.

Raw food vegan, not that is really hardcore vegan ! I doubt the teens would start off with that. It eliminates the entire bread and pasta/ grains group almost in entirity !
 tuloa942
Msg: 16
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 3:08:09 PM
That is NOT vegan, that is a junk food diet. Their parents could research a vegan diet and then teach it to their children and keep only those food in the house. That would educate the children fast!

I don't know a single vegan who would even touch the foods those kids are eating.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 17
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 3:22:29 PM
Are they sure they're getting vegan bread? Most bread has eggs, so I'm not sure what they're eating that PB& J on. Also, pop tarts are NOT vegan, they have gelatin.

They're becoming starchitarians, and that isn't healthy. It's a great way to get diabetes.

But the simple fact is, they aren't being vegans. They clearly haven't looked into this. "Vegetarian," maybe, but many ignorant vegetarians are starchitarians. Simply cutting out meat doesn't make a diet healthy at all.
 HaloKitty
Msg: 18
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 3:43:42 PM
PETA is one of the biggest hypocrites when it comes to animal welfare. I support animal rights and have been a vegetarian before. Right now, I eat very little store-bought meat; mostly game meat or organic/grass fed/pasture raised beef (though not much of it) and chicken (more chicken and fish than red meat). But PETA is not someone I would be caught dead supporting - ever.

As for veganism, I'll keep my opinions on it to myself - suffice it to say, if the kids really want to go through with it, I would seriously have their parents take them to a pediatrician first (pediatricians treat children until the age of 18, I believe) and make sure THEY think it's ok. THEN go get books and literature on how to do it right.

A diet of poptarts, pop, and junk food is not the right way. Besides, there are a lot of hidden animal products in things you wouldn't suspect, such as BBQ chips (the "natural flavoring" comes from chickens), Parmesan cheese (which contains rennet, something that comes from the stomach of a calf), some fruit juices and sauces have carmine in them (which is ground up beetles for colouring), albumin (which can be found in animal blood and milk) is used to thicken or add texture to processed food, "gum base" may not actually be "gum" but could be from an animal, too.
 lotustemple
Msg: 19
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 4:57:29 PM
Let's give the kids more credit. All it takes is seeing one documentary on the current state of affairs with the meat and dairy "industries" and any conscionable person would at least consider going vegan.

The idea of introducing them to PETA is an excellent idea. Their website has tons of fabulous info including links to a proper vegan diet than can keep them very healthy and happy. This way it doesn't come from the parents.....it comes from the definitive source.

Suggest to their parent, protein shake powder found at most health food stores.
 Paul K
Msg: 20
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 5:21:52 PM
Hey lotus

You wrote:
"The idea of introducing them to PETA is an excellent idea. Their website has tons of fabulous info including links to a proper vegan diet than can keep them very healthy and happy. This way it doesn't come from the parents.....it comes from the definitive source."

So you would rather have the teenagers listen to an organization of dubious distinction, than their own parents? Why don't you suggest that the teenagers get taken out of their home, and be placed in a home where everybody is vegan?

And according to you, if you know the "current state of affairs" of the food business, unless you go vegan you have no conscience?

I just hope you are never in a position of power to dictate what people can and can't do..............

Paul K
 raxarsr
Msg: 21
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:07:30 PM
op......theres a lady who has been posting in the recipie forum....her name is "hello i'm vegan"

she has posted quite a few recipies that look quite tasty

that being said....i dont understand the vegan concept at all............but if i were you..i'd get rid of the junk food......and since they insist on vegan.......get rid of their leather shoes belts and wallets too
 lotustemple
Msg: 22
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:13:40 PM
^^^Paul relax and stop being so silly. Let others have their opinions. Besides you can't possibly know everything can you? Of course not. Let others speak too.
 PrunellaJones
Msg: 23
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 7:27:31 PM

some close friends of mine have 2 daughters 13 and 15 who have decided to "go vegan". their parents and i are close and have been friends for a long time. their kids even call me aunt maddy. their parents and i worrry that they arent getting the nurition they need, and since going vegan they live off of pop tarts, soda and pb and j. mostly processed foods. and neither like veggies. and they refuse to go back to a regular diet. is this a safe diet for such young girls? i cant imagine they are getting the right amount of nutrition.
I've known some teenagers who are vegan, but they don't live off junk food, they are knowledgeable and thoughtful vegans. These kids need some education about being vegan. Maybe find an adult vegan to talk to them about it and the importance of getting the proper nutrition. Get them a prescription to a vegan magazine or just buy them a few copies. Instead of just being down on it, help them to do it right, be positive and encouraging.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 24
view profile
History
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:21:13 PM
@ Nr 1 ...

" ... since going vegan they live off of pop tarts, soda and pb and j ... "

This isn't 'vegan' ... this is Child Diet Nr 1. At ages 13 and 15, they have all the 'conceptual ability' and powers of reasoning granted a snail, so their choices aren't all that unusual. Let them eat this diet until they've sufficiently gorged themselves on cheap thrill food - it won't last long. The worst that will happen is an increase in the number of cavities they have. This is a self-limiting 'disease'. 'Vegan' ... it is to laff ...
 darthbanker
Msg: 25
teenagers going vegan
Posted: 4/2/2012 8:22:12 PM

they live off of pop tarts, soda and pb and j...is this a safe diet for such young girls?

A sugar diet?
Based on current research, no.
Of course they might come out in a month with a new study concluding sugar (since it's from nature!) has antirectaloxidants or something that reduces osteoporosis so they can throw that in your face.

i cant imagine they are getting the right amount of nutrition.

They aren't. They're teens. You expect impulse control and proper dietary choices from teenagers?
Remember the stories recently about the girl that ate nothing but (or at least mostly) chicken McNuggets for 15 years?
You can go a loooong time (especially in teenage perceived years) on eating nothing but crap.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > teenagers going vegan