Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would Commander Data of TNG be "ALIVE" if he existed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MorningThunder
Msg: 1
Would Commander Data of TNG be "ALIVE" if he existed?Page 1 of 1    
We all know the episodes of Star Trek: TNG so I'll spare you. My question really concerns how we define "life." I would like your opinion of whether or not an electronic brain could ever be "alive" and a living creature according to our moral system(s).
 OopstooLate
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would Commander Data of TNG be ALIVE if he existed?
Posted: 4/8/2012 4:28:34 PM
Are we determining his life based on "human " qualities like emotion?

I need more specific information... are we considering:

Before or after he got that emotions chip?
Before or after being assimilated by the borg and having wild "relations" with their hot mechanical Queen?

Given that we have created life via cloning, in some way I guess he could be considered alive...
Though I don't think I personally agree with that...something of a dilemma for me...
 Waaters
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:01:02 PM
I would consider Mr. Data to be "alive" He is self-aware, creative, expressive, intelligent, capable of critical thinking, interacts with his environment, and he is constantly learning/growing. So he doesn't "feel" like humans do, but he feels in his own way. LOL, I think I remember he saying his "net-pathways grow accustom and can even miss certain people when they are gone".

Data is alive. :)
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2012 6:11:18 PM
We have levels of recognition of life, on this planet. Even without challenges such as Data would present, people here often decide to distinguish between humans and non humans, and between species, when they respond to the idea of "life." It's a fascinating area for consideration.

I would tend to think of Data as being more closely related to the walking dead, than the living.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/8/2012 8:34:58 PM

My question really concerns how we define "life." I would like your opinion of whether or not an electronic brain could ever be "alive" and a living creature according to our moral system(s).

(your opinion of whether or not an electronic brain could *EVER* be "alive" and a living creature ) My capital question...

Living creatures are by definition able to wholly reproduce themselves and evolve. And to ask if EVER an electronic brain will be capable of that, is almost rhetorical since someday electronics and neural networks WILL achieve that level of sophistication..

Now the moral part is less clear, a universal global agreement would likely be necessary before SKYNET is unleashed upon the world and actually accepted as moral and have any right to continue "living"...
 Bloke_up_North
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:25:13 AM
No, because our "moral" beliefs are based on religion (see the other moral/religious threads that seem to be de-rigeur at the moment). Any religion that has a "God created everything" belief would object.
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/9/2012 8:39:12 AM

We all know the episodes of Star Trek: TNG so I'll spare you. My question really concerns how we define "life." I would like your opinion of whether or not an electronic brain could ever be "alive" and a living creature according to our moral system(s).

There was a similar question on an actual Science forum. I paraphrase,
Can evolution on a distant world produce aliens made completely of electronics, like IC chips?

At first glance it sounds absurd. But if you think about the processes evolution have gone through to produce biological beings like us, it seems to me nothing is impossible.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2012 9:54:25 AM
At Nr 1 ...

Yes. How could he not?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would Commander Data of TNG be "ALIVE" if he existed?