Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > ww.pof.com?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Creative.Genius
Msg: 1
view profile
History
ww.pof.com?Page 1 of 1    
I accidentally mistyped www.pof.com as ww.pof.com- and it showed a very similar site. Strange thing was it kept prompting me for a password even though I was currently logged into POF. Any chance this is a scam password harvesting site?
 Magical_Monkey_Fun
Msg: 2
view profile
History
ww.pof.com?
Posted: 5/8/2012 8:02:01 AM
....except that isn't what the guy said.

He said he accidentally typed in the URL and it brought him to a site that looked exactly like POF and asked for a password.

I just found one today called www(dot)it(dot)pof(dot)com

I was not given "a list of possible sites".

It took me directly to the site, which had user profiles, and asked for my password, even though I was logged in to the real POF already.
 hteraG_smailliW
Msg: 3
ww.pof.com?
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:25:52 PM
The domain in both cases is pof.com - it looks as though the web server is configured to ignore the prefix. You can go to fake.pof.com and still hit the site. You can test this by opening a command prompt (Windows) or terminal (Mac, Linux, etc...) and doing an nslookup on the various domains... this gives you the machine-friendly IP address for the human-friendly domain name. It's kinda like looking up a phone number in the phone book. In all cases they'll resolve to the same IP address.

However if you browse to fake.pof.com then you wont show as being signed in even if you're logged in to www.pof.com because the site uses a cookie to identify you and the cookie includes the prefix.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > ww.pof.com?