Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > There's a stigma here right?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nerfmagnet1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
There's a stigma here right?Page 1 of 1    
I certainly don't open up with what I'm about to say, but sometimes it will come out in the course of getting to know someone. When it does come up though, I notice that most women don't look to kindly on the topic. They retract like I had just said ... well, something really offensive.

World of Warcraft!

I'm way too busy to play it regularly, I go to school and I have a full time job. In a given week I'll probably clock 2-5 hours (Tuesday/Thursday nights) total. Outside of that, I don't do any gaming at all. Now I realize some people do take gaming to extremes and are on them constantly but how much of a *cringe* do you give when you hear those words come out of a guy's mouth?

Any horror stories from women who have dated avid gamers?
 scifichicky
Msg: 2
There's a stigma here right?
Posted: 4/23/2012 11:38:24 PM
You're funny!

Though gaming is not my thing, I DO have a WOW account I hop on once in a blue moon if I am bored and my 14 yr old daughter plays it fairly regularly when she isn't drawing anime.

Coming from a sci-fi geek, I gotta figure there has to be someone for everybody somewhere.
 Nerfmagnet1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2012 11:50:06 PM
You used the proper form of "you're"!! That's so awesome.

There was once upon a time that I played regularly, almost every day even. Right now though the only time I log in anymore is on raid nights. If we knock out 8/8 on Tuesday, it means I don't even log in on Thursdays anymore. This week we'll be pushing through hard modes though, which means I'll probably be maxing my 6 hours as opposed to the 2 hours it takes to do everything on normal mode.

I guess what I'm asking here is: When you hear a guy say "I play world of warcraft" what is your initial reaction?

If there are any horror stories about dating a gamer I'd like to hear them. Most of my ex's didn't even know I gamed much, if at all.
 scifichicky
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:14:21 AM
Not quite a grammar nazi, but their, your, too, and some others really need to be used properly.

What is my inital reaction? (shrug) better than football
 _sighnomore_
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:32:35 AM
yes, if I have to sit through one more minute of battlefield i will put a gun in my mouth.
 Bond_Girl
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/24/2012 3:04:31 AM
Within the age group that I am attracted to, I'd rather the guy had interests that meant he interacted with the real world.
(No offence).
 Nerfmagnet1
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 3:21:06 AM

Within the age group that I am attracted to, I'd rather the guy had interests that meant he interacted with the real world.
(No offence).

None taken at all. I asked because I would like to hear all opinions on the subject, whether for or against it.

It won't let me edit my OP so just to clarify, the 2-5 hours is a total for both days combined, not 2-5 on each Tue. and Thurs. For me it's a minor hobby.
 funinsun32
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/24/2012 5:57:58 AM
Personally its like any other hobbie or interest.... Fine if performed in moderation and equal balance. My brother LOVES his "killing" games and is 35! Its what he likes to do to unwind after work. It doesn't consume his life though. He spends quality time with his family and is very successful in his career. Whether it is "gaming" or working out anything can cause problems if your partner is feeling neglected.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 6:04:01 AM
Yes there is a stigma to wow, and other games.

Bad news is what sells in N America and Ive yet to see any good news posted about wow other than stories of people hooking up. Doesnt mean it is bad to play, but the masses have been spoon fed the bad news only.

Personally, because Im a mom and my mission was to always get the boy to go outside, I have an attitude about gaming. But thats just me.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 6:40:23 AM
Not a horror story, just not a gamer myself. I hear too much about it from him, and a few friends. Not my thing, certainly not a deal breaker unless it takes away from my time with them.
 curvesweetblonde99
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/24/2012 7:35:38 AM
If you see WoW not as a video game but as an alternate reality and you're acting like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory (who called the police when someone hacked into his WoW account) then, um yeah, that's going to be a problem. But if it's only 2-5 hours per week then it's fine. It's like any other hobby. It's when it becomes an obsession and completely consumes all your spare time to the point of you being devoid of having any semblance of a social life that it crosses the line for most people. I guess the question is: if you weren't so busy with work how many hours of WoW would you clock? If your answer is more than 8 hours per week, I think many women will "cringe" as you say. However, the alternative is that you could always try to find a gamer chick who shares your passion.
 edgedreality
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/24/2012 10:14:20 AM

I guess what I'm asking here is: When you hear a guy say "I play world of warcraft" what is your initial reaction?

Their reaction would be the same if you told them you collect comicbooks. When in doubt, consult Big Bang Theory.
 DeerTaint
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/24/2012 10:22:10 AM
I guess if you'd rather play a video game than meet actual people, then being single shouldn't be a problem.
 InMyOwnTime25
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:30:38 PM
I'm not into WoW, but I wouldn't dismiss a guy for playing it, as long as they didn't have an addiction, like they sat in front of it for 14 hours at a time and didn't want to go out, ever.
 excessivemayhem
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:37:10 PM
i play halo on the xbox myself, but usually only after i've had my day already. i much prefer people in person(after all, i DO want to date) to playing online games. i can always play games later, dates don't always come when i want them to so i prefer to reserve my time for those. women always like a guy that pays attention to THEM before games.
just saying...
 psytle
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:44:06 PM

Now I realize some people do take gaming to extremes and are on them constantly but how much of a *cringe* do you give when you hear those words come out of a guy's mouth?

Any horror stories from women who have dated avid gamers?

I'm not a woman, but I twitch noticeably if people start talking about the mechanics of World of Warcraft, Modern Whorefare, Battlefield or any other game that lots of people play and know about.

Why? Because I've found that gamers show a surprising inability to moderate how much they talk about games with people that don't play their specific game (like me) or tend to prioritize playing these games over people who go out of their way to set aside time to spend with them (again, like me).

I can't even imagine how pissed off I would be if my hypothetical girlfriend acted like that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like video games, but there are so many other things out there besides popular video games.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 1:01:01 PM
Having thoughts of all night marathons, liters of Dr Pepper and Sprite and a huge pot of chili with cheese fries and dozens of ham sammiches.

Trash everywhere in a dank un-aired room and stinky fellows playing games for 14 hours straight then sleeping all day?

Mmmmmmmmmm sexy.
 Landra2
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 1:30:17 PM
I wouldn't date an avid gamer any more than you'd want to date an avid ballroom dancer.
In a given week I'll probably clock 2-5 hours total dancing, recording music, choreographing new patterns, watching competitions, etc.
You'd be as bored with me as I would with you, but that doesn't mean we won't meet people who share our interests.
 Nerfmagnet1
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2012 3:41:19 PM

Having thoughts of all night marathons, liters of Dr Pepper and Sprite and a huge pot of chili with cheese fries and dozens of ham sammiches.

Trash everywhere in a dank un-aired room and stinky fellows playing games for 14 hours straight then sleeping all day?

Mmmmmmmmmm sexy.

lol!

That's the stereotype :) except I think most would prefer Mt. Dew over Dr Pepper. I'm a neat freak, it's just something I was raised to do and then further instilled into me during my years serving in the Army. I wash the pots used to cook my noodles and sauce before I eat and when I'm done eating I wash my dish and fork.

A messy place makes me cringe.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2012 4:00:51 AM
Good for you being Mr Clean, but we both know thats not the norm.

Like saying a sober night at a bar with the guys for hours on end.

MOUNTAIN DEW?????????? LOL
Novice.
 Ren-Girl
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/25/2012 4:53:44 AM
I cringe, seriously over the "gaming" issue. My marriage broke up because of it....he was into gaming so much that I threatened to buy a hoola hoop for his computer ( a wedding ring) 'cause he spent more time with the computer than he did with me!

However, if the guy only spends a few hours a week gaming, it doesn't bother me too much.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > There's a stigma here right?