Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Do dating sites really work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 randy76252
Msg: 1
Do dating sites really work?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have been on several dating sites in the last 18 months. When I close my account with these dating sites in the past, then reopen them six months later finding out the same nice looking ladies are still there. What is up with that?
 Pinky127
Msg: 2
Do dating sites really work?
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:48:29 PM
They (the ladies) are still there coz they're looking for someone but they weren't interested in YOU.
Am i stating the obvious.............?

*Edit* Ok,Op,email 'em and ask
 _sighnomore_
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:49:37 PM
Well they must live in small isolated cities with limited prospects like myself.
 randy76252
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/27/2012 8:57:18 PM
That does not make sense, since I was not on the dating site for those six months. Lol! It has nothing to do with me at all. :-)
 CJC1337
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/27/2012 9:46:35 PM
I find it absolutely hilarious in that situation, to see women on dating sites for months and months at a time after having ignored my polite and friendly attempt to make contact and get to know them. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to see them still having not gotten what they wanted after passing me up because if they hadn't passed me up they wouldn't need to be on the site anymore. Plain and simple.

Women like that are looking for something that doesn't exist. You think doctors, lawyers and otherwise happy, healthy and successful people need dating sites? No. The best prospects of the opposite sex get laid naturally. Many women need to lower their unrealistic expectations a few notches. Then they might realize someone like me is a great option. Because I am.
 somedaymaybe2012
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/27/2012 9:54:26 PM
some ppl like to take there time getting to know someone do to security reasons so they feel safe by emails for a while thats why they're still here but maybe not looking
 adora71
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/28/2012 12:33:54 AM
I have noticed the same thing in reverse. If I see a cute guy on all the sites for a long time--think, "what is wrong with him?" "why is he still here?" But a lot of people are serial daters, for whatever reason. Why don't they settle down with someone? Here are some of the ideas that I have:
*fear of being hurt
*just looking for sexual connection which often fades after a few months (both men and women do this)
*looking for someone compatible on every single level (also known as holding out for "the one")--I believe this is often actually a byproduct of fear of being hurt.

I think women tend to do this last one more than men. There are some dangers because the longer you stay single, the easier it is to stay single--you kind of build up a partner-less life for yourself.
 lightbrownsuga2luv
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/28/2012 5:49:57 AM
Their in the same boat as you, still have not met anyone in six months, you decide to hide for a while...they decide to stay.

Not a hard question or worth putting a whole lot of thought into it.
 SilverLight
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/28/2012 6:47:53 AM
It works for some people....they manage to find their match...it hasnt for me. I've been on sites for over 2 years. It's become more entertainment/a diversion for me rather than something I take seriously these days. The good looking people that are here for years...I can only guess they are players, and are looking to rack up numbers, not something serious that will get them off the site. There is the chance they are just really picky, there are all kinds of scenarios. But as far as finding the right guy, I still am convinced it's going to be someone who does not use online dating. It's just for now, this is all I have time for. So I have pulled back on my expectations and don't rely on it as much as I used to for anything "real".
 snowstorm22
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/28/2012 12:30:03 PM
it works for some people and doesn't for some

colt8301
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/28/2012 3:13:18 PM

I think women tend to do this last one more than men. There are some dangers because the longer you stay single, the easier it is to stay single--you kind of build up a partner-less life for yourself.

Out of curiosity is it something wrong with a "partner-less" life?
 jason963852
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/29/2012 12:50:30 AM
Alot of guys aswell arent looking for their true love and are happy just dating (playing the field) and where better then a dating site which is full of
single, lonely women??
Ones that have been on here for a long time and if you read their profiles, what do most em them say...players etc etc jog on lol

lol
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2012 6:19:05 PM
when fishing.....
it is best to always keep your pole in the water.

It does no good to cast a line....
after you've seen the fish swim by.
:-P
 Asazon21
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/30/2012 7:05:02 PM
I find it works if your patient and not using it as your only tool to meet someone.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:05:54 PM
I've used dating sites as one way to meet people over the past 3 years or so. In that time, I took a year long break a nd a few small breaks for dating sites and dating in general, but I kept a profile to use the forums.

I came off of the year long break last September and began dating someone I met online and we're still seeing one another exclusively.
I have several gf's and one bf who I have met on this site or who I know IRL who used this site or others and are in committed ltr's. The bf married almost 3 years ago; one couple is engaged; one has been together for 15 months and they're going to live together, etc.
 THE_HERO_EXPERIENCE
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:33:14 PM
I see different girls every few months. I met 6 girls and dated 2 of them last year from POF. Works for me.
 FUNNYGIRLoo
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:44:20 PM
They work I meet someone it had lasted over 5 years. I am now fishing again but I am now taken it slower and not to seriously this time around if I meet someone again goody if not goody.
 Reveal1K
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2012 9:46:14 PM
Sites like this work. If you don't believe me, take a look at my profile picture. :)
 nonchalantgal
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/1/2012 1:34:47 AM
Yeah it does work that is how I met my boyfriend. It just takes patience and trying to find the people who are not about games
 CatfishBlitz
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/1/2012 6:23:42 AM
A lot of dating sites are jokes and most want you to pay out money before you can talk to anyone. If you ask me,the odds are maybe a 25 percent chance you will meet someone out of a 100 percent and that is a big maybe. Most of us though still hope and try it regardless of the odds and big maybes.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2012 1:10:00 PM

I find it absolutely hilarious in that situation, to see women on dating sites for months and months at a time after having ignored my polite and friendly attempt to make contact and get to know them. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside to see them still having not gotten what they wanted after passing me up because if they hadn't passed me up they wouldn't need to be on the site anymore. Plain and simple.

Women like that are looking for something that doesn't exist. You think doctors, lawyers and otherwise happy, healthy and successful people need dating sites? No. The best prospects of the opposite sex get laid naturally. Many women need to lower their unrealistic expectations a few notches. Then they might realize someone like me is a great option. Because I am.

You are assuming a whole lot when you see people on here.

Myself, at most times even though I had a profile on here, I was actively dating someone. So...many men would email me with the same diatribe as above, basically saying I would end up alone and miserable because I didnt want to date THEM...in reality I was getting dates and meeting new people..people I chose to meet...just not the ones writing this stuff^^. But heck, if it makes you feel all warm and gushy inside to think people on pof who dont want to date you are bitter and lonely, then more power to you.

POF does work. It is a tool to meet new people, and I have met new people. Im dating a really nice man currently, and met him through this site.
 torfc23ian
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/2/2012 12:27:22 AM
From my perspective no. For as many messages ive sent out, I've only been responded to 2 times, and never have i been emailed first.

Then again im only 18 most people my age only want flings but for me personally, they do not haha.
 neck romancer
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2012 1:50:19 AM
Yes it works.. if its not working your in a bad location,doing something wrong, or are unattractive to those who you find attractive.

The first thing I mention in my profile is I have cancer. Yet I still have women writing me.. less than before but some still are. I also met 2 in person in the beginning of the year and both would like more from me. So yes it works.
 Purple_wings
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/2/2012 9:20:18 AM
I so agreed with most of you...majority men that I see are still the same people from mons and mons ago too...we can't judge everyone is on the same boat...I've been here for awhile and haven't met anyone, because I had no luck meeting a decend man, and I am being very selective and carefully who I decide to meet..
Honestly, most men especially the better looking ones they think they can score any women, since this is a free dating site, since its an app that so convienient at your finger tips and sleep around is like their missions...and make them so cool...urggg so many serial daters, cheaters, and jokes....I put so much efford and time but ended up meeting a heartless player....:((((((((
 songstylist1960
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/4/2012 12:45:53 PM
I've been doing this off and on for 3 years. I can tell you that the same men are on here as well so perhaps they need to lower their expectations as well? Per your post. I have had men tell me that I became too complicated because I have one son that is 14 (and he visits me every other weekend) but men don't won't "baggage" meaning children. Sometimes that's hard to do when you get to be older then 20!

I am looking for an honest, good man. Not a doctor or lawyer or someone that's rich. I don't care if he digs ditches. But I'm tired of the come on's and sex talk when we are into the first few conversations. I want someone that is looking for intelligent conversation. Of course I may still be here because I am retired and disabled because someone hit me while I was at a stop at 65mph resulting in a spinal cord injury for me. Even though I live with pain daily and I can't walk as far as I use to. .I'm still a darn good cook and the accident has not affected certain important functions (which you guys always ask right off the bat). But I cannot go hiking or walk my 3 miles a day anymore. I can go to a movie (I shift positions a lot), I can go out to dinner. I can snuggle, hold hands, talk, sing, play guitar (albeit not as well as I could before my wreck) and I love karaoke when I get the chance. And enjoy a game of pool that my roommate has been trying to teach me.

So tell me CJC1337 . .why are so many of you men still on this site?
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Do dating sites really work?