Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Apparently I'm Online When I'm Not      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cherryblsm66
Msg: 1
Apparently I'm Online When I'm NotPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I've received quite a few messages of the likes... "hey, it's 4am, what are you doing up so late", or "wow, you were online all day!". The thing is, I wasn't even online at these times, yet somehow pof shows that I am.
How does this happen? Is pof doing it? I've already had to delete one profile because someone was sending messages from my old one, I don't want to have to do it again... :P
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Apparently I'm Online When I'm Not
Posted: 5/6/2012 5:04:52 AM
You should be logged off here by POF in 15 minutes of inactivity. It seems some versions of the POF mobile apps used on phones show you as online constantly. Could that be the problem?

Cowboy
 cherryblsm66
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/6/2012 5:07:57 AM
hmmm, I had thought about that since I do use the mobile app... but I always log out of it also.
Maybe the only solution is to remove it... that sucks, lol
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/6/2012 8:15:44 AM
Umm...why remove it ? If you use it and find it useful, then removing it because it shows you on-line when you aren't seems an action unnecessary to me.

If someone in particular is questioning your on-line activity then that in itself is worrying but if you provided them with the reason you appear to be on-line when you are not, that should be the end of the matter, IMO. Question answered.
 daneil912
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/6/2012 2:44:09 PM
i do NOT use the mobile app to get to pof, i only use pof on my home computer and i am also getting emails from men claiming that it shows me online when im not and tehy are mad that i am ignoring them.

i work 7am-530 pm and had a guy tell me i was online at noon....not possible at all last time i was online was 11p- miodnight
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/6/2012 2:59:36 PM
Then in some ways this quirk is doing you a favor by identifying those who are getting cross at something beyond your control. Who would want to date someone who gets a bit aggressive about that anyway.
 keithwalton42
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/6/2012 6:00:15 PM
The mobile app for android at least keeps you signed in even if you log out and if you just use your phone (nothing related to pof) it will show you as online to the site.

As for the person who doesn't use the mobile site but has been showing online, perhaps mail support they should have a log as to where you were logged in from and should be able to tell you why it showed that
 Randy2010357
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/27/2012 3:37:41 PM
This definitely looks like a bug to me. And its not people being aggressive when someone is online (as in a jealousy thing), its more about being perceived as blown-off or ignored (or perceived as blowing off or ignoring someone you're not). If you send a message and then see the person pop online, you're assuming they're reading the message (or consciously choosing not to), but when you don't get a reply for hours or days it looks like you're ignored. This hampers the site's usefulness as its impossible to tell if someone lost interest, has just been busy, or their phone has been fishing for them. Its bad enough that people lie, now mindless computers lie too? And why would POF want people using bandwidth they're not using?

Furthermore, if someone upgraded their membership in order to see the dates and times people are online, it would be grounds for a refund since the information provided is knowingly false. I don't think its legal to knowingly sell false information, as trivial as it may seem. POF knows the bug exists and since POF cannot discern which dates and times are accurate, none of the information should be for sale. I think it could be winnable in court... and possibly damages if the person acted on the information that was purchased. Who knows in this litigious society...
 TheLongSpring
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:06:33 PM
People, people..... It would take a lot of resources (computing, etc.) to constantly check and see if a person is online (logged in) or not. It's not unique to POF either.
 Randy2010357
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/27/2012 7:20:12 PM
Then I doubt its legal to charge for the information if there is not at least a reasonable expectation the information is accurate (which there isn't).

It doesn't take a miracle of computing wizardry to log me out on the pc, so why would it on a phone? Just code the app so everyone is automatically logged out after 15 min. But it appears more like the apps log in automatically when a message is received, rather than staying logged in all the time. That also seems like an easy fix. No?
 JoseMadre
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/27/2012 8:50:12 PM
Wow, my problem is the opposite. I get logged out quite often. I thought it was my settings, but it happens on IE and Firefox on Win7, Firefox on Linux, and on Safari and Firefox on OSX so I'm pretty sure it's the site.
 vestaceres
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/29/2012 5:58:13 AM
OP: It's none of your contacts' business how you spend your time on or away from PoF. If they're online at that time actually participating in search and/or forums, clearly what you do should not be of consequence to them.

I have the PoF application on my mobile, but I have downloaded as such with he understanding of what the permissions I sanction can do to my offline presence, so it's best to read the fine print, if this is the app you use. Sometimes people pocket log-in.

Computer use of the program may be a little more stable.
 vestaceres
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:00:54 AM
It's because third-party entities can remotely access it and sign you in for the purposes of generating traffic - to make more ad bucks. The permissions on the app are extensive.
 singmespanishtechno
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/1/2012 3:49:26 PM
This is a system bug!

It happened to me with someone I was talking to last year. It kept saying online at 4am on a weekday and strange times that made no sense.
I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet.
 Adeptus89
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/10/2012 4:02:37 PM
This is a system bug. I mean, I only browse the site with my PC. I've noticed that even when I Logout, my profile will still show as online, with the Chat option available, for around 10 minutes after logging out.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2012 5:27:28 PM

This is a system bug. I mean, I only browse the site with my PC. I've noticed that even when I Logout, my profile will still show as online, with the Chat option available, for around 10 minutes after logging out.

plus or minus fifteen minutes is the way it was designed. So thats a "feature" not a bug if it works as designed.

It has been tested numerous times and the chat indicator usually shuts down first and is the most accurate. But you stay showing as "online" up to 15 minutes after logging out.

Cowboy
 keithalmli
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/15/2012 7:37:21 AM
10-4

I can think of a few times people may become jealous thinking a person is online but they are not lol
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/7/2013 11:25:02 PM
I had this happen too. Kept messaging someone, and no reply. Was thinking I was being ignored, then I texted him to see what was up and he said he has not used his pof in months. no reason to lie, since he is not my boyfriend. If he doesn't want to talk to me, he can tell me. So this bug needs to be fixed.
 ric_1975
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2013 3:16:28 AM
hi is this true because I have been told im online always even if I used my mobile and not pof related
 forum_moderator
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2013 5:05:33 AM

Is what true?

Does the mobile application keep you logged in?
Yes it does.

ric_1975
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2013 2:41:43 AM
sorry I mean the mobile app... I was talking to a girl who I was interested in but she got funny because I was online or showing up online, but could it be linked to every time I use my mobile and not pof related, I did say it could be my mobile app because I no I was not on pof. I said if I was online surely I would be moving up the search list an not be moving down to online today...sad thing is she did not believe me
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2013 3:25:24 AM
I have had to recognize that the internet, and in fact, any communications system we use now, is made up of thousands or even millions of pieces of actual hardware. We have the ILLUSION of near instant and accurate communication, but it is JUST that, an illusion.

The example I keep coming back to, is how my phone mail experience has ALWAYS been, ever since the demise of mechanical phone mail machines. You can call my number, and leave me a message, but that message isn't IN my phone waiting for me. It's in a server somewhere, stored on a hard drive. If that hard drive dies, or the server is taken down for maintenance, or the physical links between that server and my phone are temporarily severed, I will not have access to the message.

I have OFTEN received messages as much as several DAYS after someone called me, even though I checked for messages every few hours, and was told that I had none.

Hence when I am dealing with someone online, I have learned never to assume either that the "online" designation is factual, OR that even if it is, that messages I send to them while they ARE online, reach them right away.

Just within the POF "experience," I have seen that while I am reading forums, that if someone sends me a message, I will NOT be notified that they have right away, even though I AM online. I will ONLY see the "Message" indicator at the top of the page change, after I log in, sometimes several times. In addition, the notification in my regular email that I have a message on POF, is exactly like the phone mail experience: sometimes it's near instant, but sometimes there is a time delay, anywhere from minutes to hours.

Bottom line, I recommend to everyone, NOT to try to measure a human being's remote responsiveness or what it means. The hardware and software we have to live with are just not up to the task.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2013 7:12:20 AM

If she doesn't believe you that it is possible, send her my way.

Just give her the url / link to this discussion for her to view.

PlentyofSharks301
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/12/2013 10:51:49 AM
Seriously, any woman or man on POF receiving complaints from users they are not in exclusive long-term relationships with about being online needs to ask those users to stop messaging them or block them. This is classic stalking activity and never get involved with anyone you are not exclusively dating who questions your online activity. Why anyone would even consider changing their profile or anything about their online activity is beyond me. These folks are dangerous.
 mas31000
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/25/2013 7:36:28 PM
Your right they are dangerous. I had a guy flip out on me because I was online this was weeks ago. While I was talking to him we had not even yet met. And I was online checking for a message from him because he disappeared on IM. Turns out this guy was very unstable and I found that out. He also deleted his profile and made a new one...and he was the one that was actually seeing someone else.

I understand about the being ignored thing and I get that. I too have been on the other side of the coin. But I would rather wait and see what happens in the end of things before I go questioning someone to death.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Apparently I'm Online When I'm Not