Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Phone number in chat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 joeishor1224
Msg: 1
Phone number in chat?Page 1 of 1    
Ok so, I just had a first time "experience". I was online and I got a chat pop up. I accepted and this very attractive girl starts talking to me, attractive to the point where I was flattered she actually wrote me. She had 4 pictures up so I was a little more confident it wasnt a fake profile, but then she asked for my number, mentioning that POF im is pretty bleh (agreed). I had hardly spoken with her and I was a little caught of guard with the approach and forwardness so I just assumed it was some dude who made a fake profile.

So, my question is, do any women typically ask for a phone number and/or give out theirs without really talking to someone first.

I said im sorry, ill have to say no, I closed the chat and now I cant find the profile (hidden). Did i just drop the ball on a girl that was maybe interested in me and who was extrrreeemely attractive (with some common interests)!?

Ty
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/23/2012 2:57:39 PM
Why didn't you just say 'sorry, I'm not really comfortable giving out a phone number just yet, do you mind if we chat for a while first?'

That would have resulted in them closing the chat (based on them being a scammer, which is highly likely) OR she would have agreed and continued chatting.

Most women won't give out or ask for phone numbers that early but I'm sure there are some that do.
 joeishor1224
Msg: 3
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/23/2012 3:03:29 PM
I said that practically word for word and she hung around for a bit but she didnt seem too be into talking in chat so much, im the same way. Im going to assume it was a scammer and not just some aggressive/attractive girl who actually wanted to talk. =/

More curious if this is common practice or not, really.
Thank you!
 777lilly777
Msg: 4
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/23/2012 5:00:37 PM
Hi,

I am sorry this happened to you.

Sometimes it is common for a woman to give her phone number. I usually give it out at the end of an extensive chat online IF the person I am chatting with asks for it to CALL ME.

I do not offer it if it is just to continue as a texting session. I feel if the conversation is going well enough and there is a considerable amount of material being discussed and it is inconvenient to type, I want to make sure the person is on the same level of interest. Typing to someone and having an actual conversation makes a big difference.

I hope you find her profile if you really liked her. I am sure you will find a way to contact her. Good luck!!
 DeerTaint
Msg: 5
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/23/2012 5:21:29 PM
sounds like a scammer to me.
 Holly63
Msg: 6
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/23/2012 5:38:29 PM
You did well to say no to giving out your number. She sounded like a scammer to me too.

I think she hid her profile so you can't report her (unless you can remember her username,) People in their right mind don't go around giving or asking for complete strangers contact details. Especially if first contact is an IM.

mysteriosa
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 2:28:28 PM
I wouldn't ask for a number in a chat; I'd see the chat as seeing how we got on. If someone is moving that fast, when they don't know you, then either they are wildly attracted or a scammer. I think you did the right thing and any reasonable girl would understand. If she likes you, she'll keep in touch, although she might expect you to take a bit of initiative after she has already taken a risk and done so. If you can't find her profile, that sounds a bit suspicious.
 Landra2
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 2:48:32 PM
If it seems to good to be true......
 nycblonde728
Msg: 9
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 3:06:43 PM
Sounds like something a desperate guy would do.
Comes off as a guy playing some kind of game. Two friends of mine had that happen (not at the same time)- the girl was hot and wanting the number ASAP to text. Of course she also wanted to meet right away (that night or the next). Still without any real conversation. Of course, like the numb skulls they were; they obliged. Both went to the assigned meeting spot (not the same one) and were jumped and mugged. The profile was removed when they got home.

That, or she was just looking for you to come over because she was horny.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 10
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 8:27:24 PM
First off, just because someone has four pictures does not make them "real".

Your intuition flashing you I think does speak volumes... she COULD have been legitimate; but I'm also highly suspecting that she was a scammar. Usually they jump right to chat and then right to offline/cellphone because they frequently have to ditch IDS so they do not get busted when they have been turned in by previous marks.

There is a possibility she could have been legitimate though; if I have emailed someone a lot in a night (like 10+ emails back and forth where it is almost a chat) I will be ok with it moving to phone. But if it was her originating a chat and having it immediately jump to cell; I think your suspicions were definately your radar "sproinging".

Good luck to you.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 11
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 8:31:11 PM
that is right

they don't get my number until we have met and we like eachother
 114M3
Msg: 12
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/24/2012 10:55:35 PM
I saw a profile of Shayne Ward (singer/ some idol winner dude in the UK) on here with 4 pictures ... all "real" looking too (taken at parties & just casual ones hanging out with friends ) ........ So yeah ... go figure.
 Silent Steel
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 8:44:37 AM
For crying out loud, a woman gave you her number on a dating site that you joined, in a chat window that you accepted. If you are so worried about whatever "scams" that are out there, then either *67 the call or use an app that provides a different number to their caller ID! You will never be able to do wheelies in dating unless you take the training wheels off of your dating game.
 AlchemistAdam88
Msg: 14
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 9:32:41 AM
Posted By: Silent Steel

"For crying out loud, a woman gave you her number on a dating site that you joined, in a chat window that you accepted. If you are so worried about whatever "scams" that are out there, then either *67 the call or use an app that provides a different number to their caller ID! You will never be able to do wheelies in dating unless you take the training wheels off of your dating game."

Read his post again. She asked for his number. It's a scam, and a common one on here. Not that's it "too good to be true". It just isn't realistic, the attitude and tone changed as soon as he said no politely. If it were real she would still be okay with him for the fact that YES he does still want to talk and get to know her before giving out a personal number. If it were real she would realize that, and if she failed to realize that then her intelligence is pretty low. Luckily enough it was just a scam and not a pretty girl who can't comprehend.
 scottey63
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 11:28:06 AM
You didn't drop the ball. You foiled a scammer. Good call.
 Silent Steel
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 12:54:15 PM
Oooopppps my bad, I guess the sight is the first thing to go when one gets old!
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 17
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 1:04:43 PM
OP, are you aware of the Google image search tool? If their picture ever seems too good to be true, right click on their photo and copy the URL. Paste the URL into a Google image search and it'll show whether the photo has been used elsewhere. I've learned of some Asian celebrities this way and this one time I even realized it was Selena Gomez.
 GiveMeAclue2
Msg: 18
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 6:54:04 PM
Well I guess we would never meet ... It is common for me or the lady to ask/offer phone numbers ... never been scammed but does speed up the dating process ... what is a scammer going to do w/ a trac phone number?
 jaxs876
Msg: 19
Phone number in chat?
Posted: 5/25/2012 7:50:59 PM
I don't give my number out until after the first meet and I certainly do not ask for numbers. This way if i'm not interested at the first meet, then I don't have to worry that the man may be persistent in his pursuit.

I do have a friend who gives and receives numbers very early and frequently. When we have girls' night out her phone is constantly ringing and vibrating with calls and text from men that she really isn't interested in. Also, she complains that some of these men call her at all hours.. To each there own, as I'm sure men who give out there numbers early and frequently suffer the same consequences.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Phone number in chat?