Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Has anyone had a good relationship with someone on POF?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 maryapolis
Msg: 1
Has anyone had a good relationship with someone on POF?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I have had many personal horror stories, disappointments etc on POF

I'd like to know if anyone has had SUCCESS with someone they've met on POF?

If so, what is your secret? Any hints you'd care to share?
 MementoMori32
Msg: 2
Has anyone had a good relationship with someone on POF?
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:05:24 PM
Out of all the people I've talked to, or tried to talk to in many cases lol, I've met 2 really great people from POF. My secret is to not pay much attention to pics or the profile at all and try to get to know everyone as an individual. Most of the profiles are generic and best, and bullshit at worst. People just put whatever they think they're supposed to put. And the pics don't mean anything. One of the women I met had terrible pics but was attractive enough in person. Some people take great pics and some people don't. Pics are only good for a general idea of what the person looks like. I will talk to anyone that sends me a message and take it from there.
 VienneSeule
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:17:40 PM

Nope.
 Holly63
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:26:48 PM
I've made a lovely friend from here. We dated briefly then drifted apart. He's now married and I'm so happy for him!! We still remain friends. :)
 licoricecat_1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:34:54 PM
Most POF are very fussy about outer appearance and some disrespectful
 neck romancer
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:38:05 PM

Most POF are very fussy about outer appearance and some disrespectful

This is not POF's fault.. this is people in general.

I personally have not made anything more than friends... but every now and then you see success.
 saveta
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:38:43 PM
I've met two lovely men on pof and very much enjoy their company. Down-to-earth men, both.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:43:33 PM
~OP~ In the 6 years I've been here, I've had three short-long-term-relationships (if that makes sense.) Two 3-6 month situations and one significant relationship that lasted about a year and half. I was not looking for something life-long here, so I can't attest to having found that, but overall? I've been pretty fortunate with dating here. I will say, it's a number game for sure. If you think in terms of how long it took me to meet those three men? That averages one every other year. So clearly this is not some quick-fix. But if you're willing to wait it out ~ it's an OK place to meet someone. JMO
 BlokeInSydney
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:07:57 AM
I had a great relationship with a fantastic lady I met right here on POF.

We were seeing each other and growing closer when I received a job offer to work overseas. She had school-age children and responsibilities here in Australia, otherwise she would have joined me.

The contract was a rolling one so I had no idea how long I would be there, so we reluctantly decided to break up.

She ended up finding another fellow, again on POF, and are still together. Believe it or not I am really happy for the both of them and her in particular, she is a great lady and deserves to be happy.

I've also met several ladies who remain friends despite no relationships developing.

So it is possible on this site.
 MrCalif
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:08:29 AM
Stay positive!
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:17:41 AM
OP:
Everyday there are thousands of people who trek through the mall or roam our beaches. Every so often tw people will begin talking and connect on a level they never connected with before.

It doesn't matter the venue. It is being in the right place at the right time.

Use this one sparingly.
 dp300
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:55:39 AM

I have had many personal horror stories, disappointments etc on POF

I have had a ton of horror stories as well. I think most people are the same in that department.

That depends what you would define as success... I have had one long term relationship (2 years) with a great girl who I remained friends with after the breakup. I have met a few other women who I still hang out with from time to time. Some are friends, some are friends with benefits. I would say that is some success, but nothing that I haven't done in real life during the same time period.

If so, what is your secret? Any hints you'd care to share?

Theres no secret. It's half luck, a quarter chance, and a quarter knowing what you are looking for.
 abdieos74
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/31/2012 1:00:59 AM
I have had several relationships with women on POF... I even married one.
I think you can meet someone awesome, you just need to "take a chance" so to speak.
I have also founda that a lot of the women on here also have profiles on other datings sites. Though normally they same the same thing and have the same pics..

Keep the faith and remember, you will never discover new lands until you have the courage to leave shore first!
 VienneSeule
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:46:41 AM
of course if anyone had any REAL success they technically wouldnt be here to post about it.....
 3ffervescent
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 3:03:36 AM
Don't agree...

I have dated 2 sensational men in the time that I have been here (but, I am a tad picky).

I have met a lot of genuine people too -- (just because we are on POF, doesn't mean that we are not real)
Real people make profiles, and genuinely reach out to other people -- not everyone here is a player or some other dating term. Most of us get that it is harder to meet people that are genuinely single the older that we get.

We are men and women that have discovered that we like interaction with other people, time has taught us to be cautious and we are not in a hurry to find "the one".

There are lots of married folk (who met here, and come back to the forums for the interaction).

Yes, OP some of us have had good relationships with the folk on POF, (and I hope that in time, you do too).
 purfectmeow
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/31/2012 3:05:42 AM
It depends on what you are looking for. I am looking to date, and have been successful at doing so off this site. I have made some wonderful memories here with friendships found. Dating is dating, and I have had the same problems in real life as online. The economy has cause two of my favorite finds online to move away for work.
I do believe I would still be dating either one, being we talk often. In three years Ive had my share of entertainment. This site mirrors real life and our personal dating philosophies anyway.
I have a good relationship with myself first.
 five-marie
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 3:28:17 AM
Success, no, I'm still here. I did have a few long term (over a year) relationships. Last one I thought would turn out to be the one that worked, it didn't. Troubling that so many are looking for the same thing on here yet are unable to find it.
 msholiday1
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:21:14 AM
I've had a couple of great relationships with men on here. I believe I was the one with the problem not them. Having said that these men were older, the men that were within a year or so of my age were looking for younger.
I would have to say don't go for looks and find someone with the same values as yours and have fun.
 dreamer711
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:48:15 AM
Just wanted to say..POF is a way to possibly meet new friends. Sometimes you click sometimes you dont. Take one day at a time, swim through all the bull**** and you just may meet someone that at least you click with. We are all looking around...some for short term (players)(users) men and women. What you have to realize is its up to US to SLOWLY take your time and decipher all these mysterious codes. lol..So relax meet new friends for coffee and use your smarts. In todays busy world this seems to be the way to get out there and "mingle" Your NOT going to meet Mr. right or Mrs.right immediately ! It takes time to truly get to know if they are looking for the same thing you are. JUST as it would if you had met them at the grocery store or the bar. (I hate bars) I am just saying RELAX and take everything lightly until you have plenty of time to really "know" them. Use your noggin and be SAFE.
 TRESemme
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:50:32 AM
most yeah. but a few no. esp. my husband.

secret? none. was just being myself. and look what the cat dragged in.
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:10:27 AM
I have had success on POF a 7 month relationship and several shorter term ones. (2-4 months at a time.) Met my ex husband online in 1999. We were married over a decade. I am currently seeing a man from on here.

My secret be myself and not take things so personally.
 laskoboo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:19:11 AM
I had a wonderful relationship with a few people on POF. One man in particlar
the last time I was here on POF, which was about 10 years ago? maybe 8?

He was great, he was awesome... UNTIL I WANTED TO ACTUALLY MEET... then
he was full of excuses as to which many made no sense.
It was a total waste of my time. He did not even want to be friends anymore since I told him
I was going to move on and find someone to meet in person.

The secret is, don't think a virtual relationship (online only) is a real one. Keep moving until you
find someone that you meet in real life that you like and the feelings are mutual. Be as picky as you want
because it's your life.

I have a feeling the man I had the virtual relationship with ( just online and the phone) is the same man a lot of the other forum posters met and had a virtual relationship with too !
haha
 soo-girl
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:24:28 AM

of course if anyone had any REAL success they technically wouldnt be here to post about it.....

Um, no. Not necessarily.

I met a great guy at OKC. We've been dating for almost a year. I'm still on POF ... in the forums. My profile is hidden.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:59:44 AM
Yikes - the first one was an alcoholic (took me a few months to figure it out since he hid it pretty well), the second one had Borderline Personality Order (which meant I was either God's gift to manhood OR Typhoid Mary, depending on how he was cycling), another was a sexual deviant with a Cuckold fantasy and the last one had extreme anger issues along with adult ADHD - which means he had the attention span of a fruit fly and could be a mean son-of-a-b*tch with his hair-trigger temper.

Yeah, good times...good times...

If by "successful relationship" you mean dealing with a bunch of nut-jobs with emotional issues, dependency issues, substance abuse problems, anger issues and sexual deviants then by golly, the answer is yes. LMAO!
 AspenJack
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:01:28 AM
I can't honestly say I've had a bad experience, meeting anybody from POF. And, I wouldn't call any of those first dates disappointing. I tend to hold my expectations in check going into them. And, I'm still here occassionally perusing profiles, even if somewhat half-heartedly. I spend more time playing in these Forums than I do in Profiles.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Has anyone had a good relationship with someone on POF?