Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Shoulders and weights      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Shoulders and weightsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Would like to find any shoulder exercise/s that will not put to much strain on them for at home with light, medium to moderate weights. 8-10-15 pounds for now.

Have looked online, asked my instructor to show me proper form and I just can't seem to GET the form correct unless she is standing over me , so maybe some of you have a few ideas to strengthen so I can eventually work them as hard as my other areas.

I tend to raise my shoulders to much if that helps.Its an automatic thing I do.

Thanks PEPPS
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 2
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:58:14 AM
Try a resistance band. Stand on it and with straight arms, do front and side raises. At your height the resistance shouldn't be too heavy. When you're stronger you can shorten the band by spreading your feet apart to shorten the band.
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 8:10:55 AM
Thanks ST..and to to those that e mailed me with great advise also.

P
 guignol1971
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 11:00:56 AM
Many people, if not most, have unbalanced shoulder due
to injuries, repetitive habits and poor posture. There are
a lot of little muscles in there and the relationships between
them are delicate.

For rehabilitation, range-of-motion improvement and toning
light Indian clubs can be a really great. Just the 1 lb. ones
won't make you Hercules but if you use them I think you'll
be surprised at how much stability you can acquire in the
shoulder girdle with these simple tools.

The other thing is chest expanders or resistance bands. You
can work your shoulders in so many interesting ways with
these things and they are cheap and easy to carry around too.
 statemachine500
Msg: 5
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:33:49 PM
Have you tried the TRX Petunia?This is very scaleable,there are many movements you can do and I find this to be very easy on the joints.Bench pressing causes discomfort in a shoulder I separated years back and now I just do trx presses and flyes .Lots of examples on YouTube.
 zookie57
Msg: 6
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 4:48:46 PM

I tend to raise my shoulders to much if that helps.Its an automatic thing I do.

imo, use your lightest dumb bells first.And from the standing position, legs spread,even with your shoulders, palms out,curl up & then, from there at the shoulder point,twist & power up with your triceps. 12 times. 3 sets

Or, lift your arms horizontal with light dumb bells , aty waist level, then up ,even with shoulders & let it burn. 12 times,3 sets

enjoy
 Jashor
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:53:58 PM
Shoulders are tricky as they move across so many plains.

I don't know all the exercise names but with dumbells you can do shoulder presses, side laterial rises, front rises, lay face down on the bench and raise the weights up. There are also shoulder shrugs, altering the rotation. If you have a machine or can have resitance band secured above you, you can do pull downs.

I came across a term that was new to me which was 3D meaning exericising across all the plains of motion for that muscle. You might want to google 3d Shoulder exercise.
 BurtonGusterJr
Msg: 8
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:01:44 PM
Jump rope, that will get your shoulders exercise without a lot of strain on the shoulders
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:22:46 PM
I've done weights for 40 years. No issue with strains, etc. However, I don't mess with my shoulders. I do them after I do chest exercises . I do 3 sets of 8 or so repetions with light to modest weights at different angles...shoulder presses, lift from waist to horizontal, etc. Almost as much an aerobic work out with them as a weight workout.

This will give you good tone (what I'm after) but not much muscle mass. As stated in Burton's posting above, skipping is also a good shoulder exercise for tone and helping with flexibilty.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 4:36:25 AM

Just the 1 lb. ones
won't make you Hercules but if you use them I think you'll
be surprised at how much stability you can acquire in the
shoulder girdle with these simple tools.

Not looking to be Hercules but would like to enjoy canoeing and things that do require shoulder strength and a range movement again.

You also hit on a point I got from a friend that e mailed and no to low weight makes a lot of sense for now.

Have you tried the TRX Petunia?This is very scaleable,there are many movements you can do and I find this to be very easy on the joints.Bench pressing causes discomfort in a shoulder I separated years back and now I just do trx presses and flyes .Lots of examples on YouTube.

Ill look into it.

Thanks to everyone. that responded

I saw many people with shoulder injuries in a lot of pain when in PT for back issues.
Also will stop loading and unloading the car and/up and down steps with my heavy gym bag.

I want to check isometrics also and maybe start swimming again instead of weights after talking with some of you.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 7:56:34 AM
I also use the resistance band by putting it across the top of a door and closing it with my back to the door and pulling the resistance bands to different levels. Put it in above where the door closes and step back and bring resistance band to your waist, hips and do reverse biceps on it. Good luck I did it yesterday and it was a really good work out...I don't do lateral when it comes to the shoulders. My PT has told me there is really no use for lateral for shoulers as well as the sports medicine physician.
 me_dl
Msg: 12
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 10:55:07 AM
As a PT Student, I find that a lot of people neglect the role the scapular movement in shoulder joint ROM. I would throw that into the mix if you are interested in increasing ROM.

I personally would be weary about TRX until you are sure your rotator cuff muscles can properly stabilize the shoulder (GH) joint.

If you are worried about stability, isometrics can be a good option. Bear in mind that strength with isometrics is fairly specific to the joint angle in which you do the exercises--so change your joint angles for your isometric exercises to get best results. I've had patients have good success with IYTW stabilization exercises, but you have to make sure you do them correctly (If you aren't familiar, I'm fairly sure you can google this and it will come up.)

A lot of times (non traumatic) shoulder pain starts as bad posture. If shoulder movement is initiated from an upper crossed posture with an internally rotated shoulder (GH) joint, there is undue stress on certain rotator cuff tendons and pain. Mind your posture when you do your exercises.

I also think that sometimes people take a isolationist perspective, but with real movement, muscles like to work in synergies. Being able to activate your shoulders simultaneously with other muscle groups is what is going to help you be better at functional activities.
 statemachine500
Msg: 13
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 2:23:49 PM

I personally would be weary about TRX until you are sure your rotator cuff muscles can properly stabilize the shoulder (GH) joint.

You can adjust your lean angle to select resistance.The TRX has become quite a popular method to introduce people to resistance training.You can train back,legs or chest and shoulders,as well as your core.
 me_dl
Msg: 14
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 2:37:00 PM
I understand what TRX is, statemachine. In fact, I've used it with PFT clients and in group fitness classes, but I've also seen patients who have done more damage than help with it if they weren't ready or had improper instruction. I just wanted to throw a caution out there.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 3:17:05 PM

Not looking to be Hercules but would like to enjoy canoeing and things that do require shoulder strength and a range movement again.

Then do more things that require shoulder strength like canoeing, and problem solved plus also you just killed two birds with one stone.
 zookie57
Msg: 16
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 4:55:10 PM

You also hit on a point I got from a friend that e mailed and no to low weight makes a lot of sense for now.

Whether it be a woman or man, yoga imo will give you the results in a body that is slender,lithe, & sexy.....

imo,Light weights are fine, but a natural figure is divine. If you do 30 to 45 min of that ,you body, mind & spirit will thank you, many times over. Good luck in that. As it sounds you eat right,now the rest is up to you in all the rest.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 17
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/26/2012 5:20:33 PM

How much weight you lift is not the only factor in muscle development.

If you want a muscle to grow you must work it close to its failure point.

How you get there is not going to make any significant difference in the development of the muscle.

If you are experiencing shoulder issues while lifting, then reduce the mass and up the rep, but as soon as you feel your form being compromised, end the rep.

As that is one of the first signs of failure, so heed that warning and take it easy.

Keep in mind though that when you are using low weight, it is not a race and slow and steady wins every time. Many people speed up the movement and end up doing as much damage, so keep it slow and steady.

I mix all of my sets up with high weight low rep and low weight high rep.

I like to starting with a weight I can do 20 reps with then add 2X the weight and reduce the reps by 1/2 until I max out then back down the ladder, with no rest between sets.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:19:11 AM
Zookie I take yoga and have to be careful where I position hands and shoulders.
I hate downward dog..it seems to strain it the most.

The positions most consider the most difficult I actually do better with.

Then do more things that require shoulder strength like canoeing, and problem solved plus also you just killed two birds with one stone.

^^^^^^^^^
I totally agree with you. Also will take advantage of a pool a friend has soon.

Yesterday I used no weights but did the movements and slept better, also lightened my bag.

Again thanks to all.
 DragonBits
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 1:49:18 PM
I had some sort of pain in my left shoulder, and when I lifted fairly light weights it would hurt.

The machine that made it most painful was a cable front lateral raise, with a abduction movement, which focusses on the supraspinatus muscle, and could indicate a rotator cuff injury. I am sure this machine isolated the problem, as many other types of machines that also worked muscles around that area did not give me any problems.

Not sure what it was, it lasted at least 18 months, I would do very light weights till it went away. Maybe some sort of minor damage to a ligament, or the rotator cuff.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 4:48:45 PM

I like to starting with a weight I can do 20 reps with then add 2X the weight and reduce the reps by 1/2 until I max out then back down the ladder, with no rest between sets.

For the first set, are you using a weight that puts you close to failure after 20 reps?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 21
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 5:07:44 PM

For the first set, are you using a weight that puts you close to failure after 20 reps?

Yep and sometimes I reverse it, with a weight that put me there with as little as 5 reps and work down in weight and up in reps ending on 20 reps.

I am also gauging failure on when my form is compromised.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 5:35:07 PM

Yep and sometimes I reverse it, with a weight that put me there with as little as 5 reps and work down in weight and up in reps ending on 20 reps.

And you are doubling the weight for the second set?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 23
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 5:55:58 PM
Yep.

For Dumbbell Bent-over Row it would go like this:

100lbs x 5
50lbs X 10
25lbs X 20

50 bench jumps

25lbs X 20
50lbs X 10
100lbs X 5

Drink some water and wait until hr comes down to 120ish and then:

100lbs x 4
50lbs X 8
25lbs X 16

25 bench jumps

25lbs X 16
50lbs X 8
100lbs X 4

The last run through numbers are only goals as I usually can not get all the way through.

It all depends on the exercise, as some I increase by a few lbs and some I double all depending on what it is and how much time I have.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:33:52 PM

It all depends on the exercise, as some I increase by a few lbs and some I double all depending on what it is and how much time I have.

Ok, I guess this is the key. I was thinking of exercises where the doubling of weight for half the reps would seem to be impossible.
 GoodFicoScore
Msg: 25
Shoulders and weights
Posted: 6/30/2012 10:45:29 AM
Im an exercise physiologist.
some exercises to look at include
external shoulder roration
internal shoulder roration
shoulder retraction
shoulder protraction

if you put these terms in YouTube you should see demos of them

joe