Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > A Man Who Cooks For His Girl... What Do You Think?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Michael_Pro
Msg: 1
A Man Who Cooks For His Girl... What Do You Think?Page 1 of 1    
Let me start by saying this isn't in the cooking forum because I'm not giving/asking for a recipe.

So I like to cook and I would love to pamper a girl a bit in every way I can. Both sides of my family are rather old fashioned ((Italian family mostly)) though so I grew up with the idea that's it's odd for a man to cook his girl a meal. I'm not in for the whole women cook and clean while men do.... What do we do again in the old role system? Work and defend the house from ninjas? Anyway my point is cooking for a girl seems like it would be fun.

I know a lot of girls don't like to cook so this would be ideal for a girl who never wants too. However I also think it would be fun to cook together for the girls who also enjoy time at the stove. I'm open to taking turns and think it's awesome when a girl surprises me with a little something.

My first question is do you mind sharing the kitchen with your man? Also for the girls who don't cook tell me do you like when a man invites you over for some of his cooking?

My next question for you ladies is to tell me about a time your guy cooked for you.
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 2
view profile
History
A Man Who Cooks For His Girl... What Do You Think?
Posted: 6/28/2012 9:50:38 AM
I love it. A man can cook for me and I'll bring the wine.

I'll make an an awesome pan of cheese enchiladas and a mean margarita the next time.

We will dispatch the ninjas as a team.

You want a story? I'm a fair to decent cook, but I'm really more of a baker. My one weakness is gravy, I just dont do gravy well, so I use the packets and fake it.

One fine gentleman spent an entire evening teaching me how to make a roux. I'm still not very good at it, but he literally spent hours trying to teach me and it was really sweet.
 GarnerGirl71
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:27:01 AM
I have yet to have a man cook dinner for me, but I would love it. I would even do the dishes afterwards to show my appreciation. :)
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:35:29 AM
I don't enjoy cooking and I never have liked it. I used to think it was because it was a chore and I never had the time with work and family. Well, little work and little family still does not motivate me to cook and enjoy it. My guy loves to cook and is very good at it. I love the fact that he cooks and never views it a a chore. We also have a lot of fun in the kitchen especially preparing dinner. We also like a lot of the same things and I have learned a lot too!!
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/28/2012 10:58:58 AM
I can and do cook but it's never going to be a passion of mine or even an interest. It's just something which has to be done everyday like cleaning the bathrooms.

My first question is do you mind sharing the kitchen with your man?

I do find it less tedious when I'm working with someone else probably due to the company rather then the current situation of me cooking, the teenagers eating it and clearing their plates away before evaporating into thin air ! So no, I would have no problem sharing the kitchen or indeed handing it over if that's how the division of labor falls.

Also for the girls who don't cook tell me do you like when a man invites you over for some of his cooking?

I think it's a lovely idea.

My next question for you ladies is to tell me about a time your guy cooked for you.

Um, I think my father made me some toast once when I was studying for exams.

But if someone wants to cook for me, they are more then welcome to. I'll even happily clear up the kitchen afterwards.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:48:54 PM
On the other hand, don't invite a woman over to cook for her until after you've slept with her or it will look like a ploy to sleep with her.

I rarely disagree with you, Abelian, but I do here. The guy I'm seeing now cooked for me. We hadn't been between the sheets. I saw it as inviting me over for dinner, to see his place and to get to know him better. He was also returning the favor of me cooking dinner for him.

Most women know that a guy wants to sleep with them since they are dating them. ;)
I didn't see his cooking for me as a ploy to sleep with me. I saw his dating me as a ploy to sleep with me. ;)

To the OP: I understand how you were raised. Part of being on your own is blazing your own trail and deciding which, if any, traditions and familiarities you want to bring forward in your own life.
I think it would be great to cook for a date, friends, family, etc.
 lovefun99
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:53:42 PM
My girl has never cooked at my house except for the occasional breakfast. I like to cook and am a very good cook. She is fine with it and will help clean up after meals.
 Gorgeouscomedy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:56:13 PM
I absolutely LOVE to cook and would have no problem being the cook in the house for me and my [future] family. However, I think it's very sweet gesture for a guy to cook for me.

A guy I was dating did cook for me once. He cooked a piece of lamb [threw it in a skillet with some butter], steamed some veggies in the microwave and put bagged salad on a plate. Obviously this isn't exactly five star cooking, but he was really proud and happy to make it for me. The lamb was tough as a tire and pinker on the inside than I'd like it to be, but I smiled and ate it and thanked him as though it were a gourmet meal. I think as women, we don't encourage or appreciate men enough when they take the time to do something thoughtful, and I would never want any man to feel taken for granted.
 Michael_Pro
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/28/2012 1:20:26 PM

On the other hand, don't invite a woman over to cook for her until after you've slept with her or it will look like a ploy to sleep with her.
I rarely disagree with you, Abelian, but I do here. The guy I'm seeing now cooked for me. We hadn't been between the sheets. I saw it as inviting me over for dinner, to see his place and to get to know him better. He was also returning the favor of me cooking dinner for him.

I have to agree with msg 7 about that. Besides... If you think that way, then you can't invite your girl over to your house for ANYTHING without her thinking your making a move on her. So curling up on a couch watching a movie... Dancing to the CD player... Playing some games... Or even just hanging out and talking, can't be done until you've had sex with her? I would figure getting to know your girl ((even in your own home)) would come before sex... Not after. I respect your opinion Abelian and I'm sure you meant it as good advice. I thank you for it. But I would hate to say, "Lets have sex already so you can come over for some Braciole and Zuppa Toscana :)" to a girl... Although it's not the worst line Ive heard... Hmmm *Quickly wrights down pick up line...*
 prometheus1666
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/28/2012 1:26:01 PM
I love cooking for my gf or my date... always have:)
 spilling_fire
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/28/2012 1:41:11 PM
I hate cooking for the most part, even though I'm good at it. I've had a few men cook for me and it's wonderful. I also have no issue with doing the dishes after he's cooked. Plus it gives me the chance to come up beside him, kiss on his neck, and distract him with my sexual advances. I had a guy cook me this stellar pasta dish with summer squash and it was so divine that I now make it at home all the time, even though he and I never ended up dating.
 Michael_Pro
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/28/2012 4:46:33 PM

cooked every meal for 17 years, she had breakfast and dinner waiting for her on the table, and made her luch and packed it for her too. what did it get me? cheated on and she served me divorce papers. i shoulda gotten takeout :) lol

Or maybe use less salt next time ;)

Sorry couldn't resist...
 prometheus1666
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/28/2012 4:47:44 PM
/\/\/\mercury's quicker.. tell her its sparkly!!
 SmilingSalmon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 5:00:13 PM
For me cooking really sparks those primal joys and urges of comfort and accomplishment.

Since the dawn of time gathering around a fire to cook, eat, tell stories, share family time and make love have been the definition of home and security, comfort and love.

Nothing is more satisfying to me than cooking for the ones I love or want to know better. And nothing is more exciting than cooking together.

Only 2 men have ever cooked for me, without me cooking at all. One was really bad, but it was a nice gesture, at the very least and made me warm up to him.

The other was in a group, but he was doing it for me, all of it, the evening, the guests, the meal, every detail. I have never felt so cared for. We barely knew each other, but he went to great length and detail to get to know me and do something sweet and romantic for me and to show me he could take care of me in whatever way I needed. He let me know he was there for me and he ended the weekend giving me a wonderful gift.

I am so used to giving that it was hard to receive so completely, because he wouldn't allow me to lift a finger. I didn't fully know how to respond to that, because he didn't really leave the door open for me to reciprocate. Be careful not to wrap the package so tightly that she cannot give in kind. Relationships need give and take in both directions.

I have had many times of cooking together and they are the best! Or, at least him talking to me and chopping or washing dishes while I cook. The point is that we were enjoying our time and doing it together.

One thing that will really turn a girls heart toward you, even if she is on the fence about you, is if you approach her sincerely while kneeling in front of her. I used to date a man that did that and I fell in love each time he did it. It always caught me completely off-guard. The same effect can be made when he initiates taking you shopping and enjoys waiting to see you in the dresses you try on, then buys you the one he likes. Something so masculine about that. A man that isn't trying to show he is all macho, but really into you.

You sound like you will not have any problems getting and keeping a wonderful woman.

Blessings

EDIT: As a response to messages I saw above... Often I have a man over to cook for him pretty quickly after we begin to become closer friends. It is the only way I can truly know if he is the kind of man I am really interested in. If he were to invite me asap, I would love it. I much prefer that over going out. You do not get to know a person that well on "dates." Nothing is going to force me to sleep with him, whether he is at my house, or me at his, until we both want to do so.
 flaneur001
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 5:45:42 PM
I love to cook. It would be fun to have a guy cook a meal. But frankly, I really love going to the farmers market early Sat. morning, buying terrific stuff to cook with, then coming home, reading the paper then sauntering in the kitchen with a partner, and creating a wonderful experience through the mutual experience of cooking together.

When, I first started to live on my own, it took a bit of adjusting to not having this ritual. So I created a new one, I have a dinner party most Saturday's and it's compensation....although not quite the same!
 Beachluvr56
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/28/2012 6:01:57 PM
abelian, you are not engaged anymore? :(
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/28/2012 6:29:24 PM
I think it is always something they like.. However it is the absolute most effective that first time when they have no idea you are good at cooking. I can fix everything from a fighter jet to an Italian car , an expert with an M16. Iraq veteran manly sh*t etc... but what really loosens up their buttons is when you can cook a serious gourmet meal and are still a manly man.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 6:31:57 PM
I love it. I've got one of those now.. we like to cook for each other or make a meal together, and there are times when he likes to ask me what I feel like eating for dinner while we're both working, then close up shop early, hit the grocery store, pick up wine and cook for me until I get there - or he'll shop for breakfast and cook while I sleep in. I usually get handed either a glass of wine for dinner or a cup of coffee for breakfast and then he'll tell me to go relax. He really loves doing it, so when he's in the mood to do it, I go with it and enjoy.

I have to admit I will try to pitch in on cooking and/or help with cleaning up if he'll let me. : )

I really love going to the farmers market early Sat. morning, buying terrific stuff to cook with, then coming home, reading the paper then sauntering in the kitchen with a partner, and creating a wonderful experience through the mutual experience of cooking together.

Sounds awesome...this goes on my list.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > A Man Who Cooks For His Girl... What Do You Think?