Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > android battery      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jmoinajo
Msg: 1
android batteryPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I live and work in a remote area, several apps and cknstantly tweaking my phone helps, but every phone that I, or my co workers have, struggle with battery power even on standby, mostly because it is always searching for signal as we drive. We will get a sugnal for a few seconds to minutes and our texts and emails will come in. Because all of us need that gps or camera handy for work related issues that come up with no warning, we can't shut it off. I am preparing to get a new android phone, which ones do you know havr best battery power? My long term solution has been to have spare batteries and a battery charger, but If I could just have a phone make it through a work shift, that would be great.
 Padawan61
Msg: 2
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:19:50 AM
My previous phone was a Motorola using Android v2.1 and the battery hardly lasted 24 hours on standby. Due to a mechanical failure, I ditched that piece of junk and went (back) to an HTC model running Android v4.0 and the battery lasts a lot longer ... especially on standby.

Android is a battery hog ... or so I understand ... with it's constant background updates. Though later versions seem to have improved. Normally, I disable Internet connection (Wi-fi and cellular) until I have a need to use it.

If you exercise the phone heavily for work related purposes, it's better plug it into a car charger while you're in the vehicle. As for taking pictures, if you really need to do that for work, I'd suggest using a dedicated camera and save the phone battery for GPS functions.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 3
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:41:41 AM
Have htc, it's much worse than my droid 2 was, resolved.most of droid 2 with a app that constantly and automatically killed background apps, meant to root it to get rid of the garbage apps I never used, but broke screen. It's in drawer waiting for moment that I get around to replacing screen.

Keeping charger connected isn't always possible.as I am not actually always in a vehicle. I already carry a whole lotta weight required equipment (guns, ammo, cuffs, etc.) So an all purpose equipment of smartphone has been salvation. i can quick send photos, audio, gps, and do draft reports before getting back to shop. I mwy just stick with my battery charger method, I can carry spare batteries in pocket, and the phone never gets hot on the charger... In 115 days, that is kinda important.

So many new ones on market, just don't want to get stuck with one that drains fast and charges slow.
 dimitri24
Msg: 4
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:54:38 AM
samsung always has acceptable battery life.

htc not so much but they are getting better. new motorloas can be the best. they use huge batteries.

the android system is not the hog, a nexus one,s,or gnex will have great battery life. that is stock unmodified android. the custom skins and carrier supplied apps manufacturers put over android are sometimes huge and loaded with background services that are mostly useless and at times invade on privacy!

there is also drivers and hardware configuration. each manufacturer runs there own hardware profile and that posses a problem. there is no consistancy in performance. some radio chips or firmware for the radio can have bigtime heat and battery drain issues. sometimes they are fixed with later firmware updates, sometimes you have to live with it. on an older htc phone loaded with htc sense and some other androids it is almost 100% necessary to use the power widget to manage bt, gps, wifi, data sync, and screen brightness so the radios are only working when you are actually using them. on other phones you are mostly safe but might not want all your email accounts push email. the gmail app is typically ok to sync but if you have other email accounts set in the email app you might want to set them to manually download.
 dimitri24
Msg: 5
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:58:01 AM
oh and dont use task killers religiously. some of that stuff is set to relaunch itself. only kill apps that are frozen. the claims of better battery life and speed with task killers is bunk./ the theory is sound but most apps aren't that simple, and may launch nessesary services for other functions. killing the app kills the services, that either causes bugs or the system isset to automatically restart the app. all the app loading and reloading can use a bunch of cpu time and eat battery.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 6
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 4:56:45 AM
google is always your friend. Lots of articles listing android phones with longest battery life.

many of the apps just suck the life out of you.

Here is your google search phrase "longest battery life android phone"

http://blog.laptopmag.com/best-battery-life-longest-lasting-smart-phones
http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-cellular-verizon/android-phone-longest-battery-life-120691.html
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/264094/phones-with-the-best-battery-life

And here is ten tips to improve android phone battery life just for kicks

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367542,00.asp

Good Luck

Cowboy
 coyotefeller
Msg: 7
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:27:12 AM

because it is always searching for signal as we drive.

Just plug the damned thing into the cigarette lighter socket for God sake !
And buy a booster !
 dimitri24
Msg: 8
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:05:15 PM
well some of that stuff is total bs, some may work on one phone but not another. signal strength can affect battery life but it's not a rule. my infuse sometimes gets better battery life when i have a weak signal. it probably has more to do with frequency than strength in that case, which can depend on the tower i'm connected to. live walpappers, maybe on older <1ghz hardware without good gpu's and handle opengl through the cpu or devices with low ram like the first generation of snapdragon powered phones (htc evo and earlier) only because the wallpapers can be ram hogs and may cause itself or other apps and services to be killed then later restarted. but on a modern android unless the live wallpaper is always on screen and you have a lot of screen on time it's not an issue because the ram is higher and the gpu can handle most of them without the cpu ever scaling up. widgets? depends on the widget. again it comes back to ram.

sync, well google/gmail sync is rarely a problem. the social networking sites, rss feeds, weather widgets, and email push can be a problem. keep it to a minimum.

flash, well how much time do you surf the web? that's a browser only feature so logically if you aren't spending big chunks of time with the screen on and browser open to flash heavy pages it doesn't do much for your total battery life.

auto brightness, well this is another one. if you use the phone a lot for emails,games, browsing and things other than talking the screen will be a big factor but auto brightness is a win lose situation. you turn on a light sensor and check it for light values constantly, it uses cpu time and additional hardware, might it make more sense to just use the power widget to toggle through the dim/auto/med/bright settings as needed for visability?

not that the articles are meant to mislead but sometimes it's just theory, generalizations, or commonly accepted myths.

then there are just bad apps or apps with unexpected issues on one phone or another. beautiful widgets used to suck battery horribly on the samsung vibrant but not on the captivate which was bassically the same phone but built for different carriers. the firmwares of the two phones were somewhat interchangable but had different button mapping, but something in the vibrant framework doesn't like that app and it sucks battery. that's one that i ran into but i'm sure there is more.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 9
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:04:39 PM
Good info.

Google though, is not a friend, search engines are full of crap articles and lies for marketting. Real experiece with no profit motive is here.

My red and blue lights are plugged in the cigarette lighter and a spot light in the other. Adapters have just created heat and get in the way of my microphone. Again, phone in cig lighter for the entire day just results in a hot phone that ends up with a short life span. If I had a more normal job and lived in a more normal area, then normal solutions would work.

I had a huge problem with bloatware on one phone, no app killer helped until I found one that killed them ahtomatically as fast as they turned themselves back on and I was finally able to use my phone again. I am thinking of rooting my phone, maybe if I get some time off this weekend I will do that to my old droid and put the new glass on and see if removing some unneeded system apps helps to solve the problem.

I tried many signal boosters and found one that sort of worked. Think REMOTE area.

I don't play any games and web browsing is done a lot at certain times, though there is good signal there and a wall plug. I play music often because there is no commerical radio signal in most of the places I go, but now that I have phone without spare battery, I can't do that. Email is frequent, or texting. Different agencies use different radio repeaters and there is significant spying going on. If one agency encrypts, another agency cannot communicate without cell phones, and sometimes we end up communicating through text, email, when voice won't go through.

At night, I use a screen filter and have to 25%. Sometimes lower. That definately conserves batterylife and could.be protective in terms of not acting as a flashlight when an agent or officer calls.

I keep my location service on, literally so, if I don't call in, my last location with live phone can be found. Social.networking is not synced at all, and I don't let the one I use check my location because that definately seems to hog memory, and it isn't public business, anyway.

If I have a truck fail, or god forbid, it is stolen while I am outside it, a long life phone will save my life. We carry portable radios, of course, but some areas require a hike up a mountain to get signal and the battery life for them.is disgustingly short, and some areas, even the truck radio has no signal. I can't really be experimenting by buying one phone after another, I am hoping to get some more real people's experience with phones, to help.me decide what to get.
 dimitri24
Msg: 10
android battery
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:40:41 PM
the droid 2 can be tricky, i have no personal experience with it but know that the bootloaders are locked and only factory signed roms will flash through recovery or download mode, however i do believe that you can mount /system rw and remove applications after it's rooted but rooting might have to be done through an exploit of some kind which might not work on newwer firmware updates. a lot of known exploits don't work on new devices. but you'll need to check the droid 2 forums and see.

htc has a locked system partition so no rw can happen to it normally other than updates, not even through a file manager even with root permissions gained through an exploit, but htc has a program for developers and will give you a code to unlock that partition so it can be rooted.

samsungs keep the kernel on a seperate partition and they don't lock out flashing through download mode but they do track unofficial kernels. custom kernels flashed through download mode are how root is acheived on most current samsung phones. but depending on the phone the firmware counter might need a reset or you might ruin the warranty.

other phones can be less secure and exploits might still work.

also a screen filter apps should only save batteries with amoled screens. that is where light is created at the pixel. lcd screens do have a backlight level adjustment but most of the time the app isn't changing that unless it's designed specifically for a phone and uses some kernel interface to change the level, normally only the system setting in settings will adjust the backlight level. the screen filter app should not effect battery life on an lcd screen.

as far as factory and carrier installed bloat that can't be removed, well that's one thing apple has on google. apple controls there product to the end, but manufaturers that use android are used to giving carriers what they want. and if a carrier has an advertiser that wants an app on the phone the manufacturers put it in. verizon is one probably the worst with this. i think if you get the rom cleaned up you will see a world of difference in that older but still kinda fast phone. the hardware specs are very close the iphone 4 (better actually) but with less screen resolution so it should be able to run very smoothly.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 11
android battery
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:04:21 PM
Well, stuck with verizon. Those private individuals who have the few cell towers here, have an agreement with verizon thay leaves other carriers refusing to sell you service if you live in my zip code. But coworkers who have other service providers are without signal much more often than I, so I have bloatware to excess but more signal.
 MacInOC
Msg: 12
android battery
Posted: 7/20/2012 2:41:07 PM
I thought everyone knew this?

Get JuiceDefender Pro

Handles everything for you so you can save as much battery life as you are comfortable with. Read the instructions as it's configurations options are more advanced than your average app. I am not associated with JuiceDefender.
 dimitri24
Msg: 13
android battery
Posted: 7/20/2012 4:35:54 PM
yeah juice defender often works on stock phones. but bassically it just schedules data being on or off. try it. but there are situations it can hurt. also if there is an option you might want to disable 3g when the screen is off. my samsung phones are weird with this and it's not always easy to set it to 2g only since samsung quite frankly programs the phone just plain wrong in that regard. the droid 2 being cdma is a different story all together and i have no idea about what you can do with it data wise.

with 2g only mode you will still get email notifications and mms but things will download painfully slow. so if you can get 2g with the screen of and 3g with it on you will probably be happy. juice defender can help you get good life without disabling most of the phone.

at one point my galaxy s would go 4 days on a charge with a stock battery! that was without juice defender and wifi, gps, data, and 3g enabled at all times. it's all relative. on that device in that state juice defender hurt the battery life but that's not too typical. it involved a custom kernel with some drivers that were modified (not by me im not that good) with undervolting on the cpu and a custom rom that was trimmed down.
 MacInOC
Msg: 14
android battery
Posted: 7/21/2012 9:52:10 AM
For the laymen / neophytes out there, this is what it comes down to in "english". This assumes you DO NOT have a bad battery, old battery or battery phone leak.

In ALL phones the main battery burners in order are:

Screen display (brightness)
Radios (GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G, 3G, CDMA, ....)
CPU (running processes and number of cores)
Notification (vibrate and blinking light)

all other are relatively insignificant. The only battery longevity solution is to turn off what you can, when you can. The easiest way I have found is to use some app that will control all this for you. I use JuiceDefender in advanced mode and pretty much turn many things off when the phone is "sleeping" - meaning when I turn the screen off. Of course it does NOT turn off whatever "phone" radio you have - so you will still get phone calls and text messages real time.

When the phone is "off" - I pretty much want the phone to ring, text notification, some e-mail notification and that is about it. So I "kill" everything else. So you pick which process / notifications are important and let them run - for example my GMail e-mail notification is important so I let that run. Bottom line, it is all about the configuration in JuiceDefender.
 LinuxD
Msg: 15
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/21/2012 12:46:23 PM
Look for an extended life battery,tho it may make your phone a bit thicker. My Optimus sucked on battery life with the stock 1500 Ma battery/ROM, I then bought a 3000 Ma battery and rooted it,installed a custom ROM and decrapified it and also installed Green power battery saver from the app store. Now with my usage I am getting 3-4 days out of it with the cpu overclocked.

Some people dont like the fact that the extended batteries make the phones thicker... *shrug* then they gripe cuz their battery life sucks *shrug* can't have it all,ALL the time.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 16
android battery
Posted: 7/21/2012 5:47:08 PM
Linux, I think that is what I am looking for. Is there a model of phone that would be best suited to this? Could my droid 2 global work?
 MacInOC
Msg: 17
android battery
Posted: 7/21/2012 5:56:54 PM

Is there a model of phone that would be best suited to this?

LOL. Model of phone? Um, reread. By the time you root, have a custom ROM, replace battery with another, make it thicker and all, I'm not sure which "model of phone" you start with matters much.

I am curious how you make a cell phone thicker? Don't most batteries slide into a slot? Do you have to replace the case? Or does the extended battery stick onto the back of the phone? Off to google this.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 18
android battery
Posted: 7/21/2012 7:08:29 PM
A million years ago, I had a palm with a bigger battery, the battery came with a replacement back cover to hold it. At this point, I will do duct tape if that works. I know some phones root and reprogram easier than others, according to what I have been reading on the how tos.
 dwight_the
Msg: 19
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 4:19:47 AM
HTC Sensation XL is quite good for battery life and charges quite fast .I charge in the mornings,leave at 8am and listen tunein and uses the internet and it manages to keep until about 16:00 .
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 20
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:27:06 PM
I've got the newAndroid Platform 2.1 phone. This phone is awesome. I have nothing bad to say about it. A full charge can last me days. If texting all day long or web surfing, have to charge it after 24hrs.
 Mikikal
Msg: 21
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:47:49 PM
Samsung Galaxy S3 without a shadow of a doubt. It has a built in Power Save option that automatically reduces power to the screen/processor and other systems to help prolong battery life. It is super configurable and an all round winner. Using an app killer AND the power save feature my S3 easily lasts 3 days even using it on email/Maps/news reader etc etc. Brilliant brilliant phone.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 22
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 12:55:40 PM
Go to ebay. Enter your make/model of phone and "extended battery" My buddy has a samsung gallaxy 2 and his stock battery was like 1800 or 2000 Mh I think?? He just bought an extended battery thats like 3800 Mh for $10 with shipping included.
 LinuxD
Msg: 23
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:32:33 PM
I'd do a google search.. enter in your phone model along with extended battery and if it's available you should get some results. Most extended batteries also come with a back plate to accommodate the thicker battery.

Like for my phone I'd enter in "Optimus extended battery" good luck!
 LinuxD
Msg: 24
view profile
History
android battery
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:38:43 PM
I am curious how you make a cell phone thicker? Don't most batteries slide into a slot? Do you have to replace the case? Or does the extended battery stick onto the back of the phone? Off to google this.

In my situation.. no. the battery does not slide in. you pop the back off the phone and the battery sits underneath it. The replacement battery is thicker and they do have back plates to accomadate that. Another option would be an external battery that you carge and then when your internal battery runs down yould plug the phone into that and it's charge the phone.. I've got one but it's a PITA to deal with.

Rooting an Android phone isn't especially difficult and sliding a new ROM in isn't terribly complicated either. Just as if you took an XP machine and went to windows 7 or Linux.. it's still the same machine.. just a different version of an OS.
 jmoinajo
Msg: 25
android battery
Posted: 7/23/2012 9:34:43 AM
Dammit. Now I have choices instead of cluelessness. Steam coming out of my ears, brain cogs on over drive. Y'all should know women can't handle transition from clueless to choices. But really, thanks, I need to make a decision, contract ending on two lines, need to upgrade the remaining two or tweak the two pbones I already have.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > android battery