Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's a suitable pet for a 5 yr. old child other than dogs or cats?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MissUnknownLegend
Msg: 1
What's a suitable pet for a 5 yr. old child other than dogs or cats?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My nephew is going through a rough time right now with his parents separation. I want to get gim a pet as a form of therapy or distraction. He's living with us now, so I know I can help him care for the pet, but I just don't think I'd be up to raising a big pet like a dog or cat. So what would be an easy pet to manage?
 sawdust_maker
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What's a suitable pet for a 5 yr. old child other than dogs or cats?
Posted: 8/6/2012 10:50:10 PM

I want to get gim a pet as a form of therapy or distraction.

I'd be a bit leery of getting him anything that he could suddenly lose, if you get my drift? How about a guaranteed portion of your time each day. His play choice one day, yours the next, or something similar. Anything structured that you know he'll look forward to.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 11:53:32 PM
How about spending time with him volunteering at an animal shelter? It would give him the love of the animals, the comfort and therapy they give, and help him to learn to help others as well. Plus it would only be a commitment of a little time each week. Any pet should be a longer commitment than a few weeks/months. Just an Idea.
 VerityBlue
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/7/2012 3:20:49 AM
Rats are ace. Incredibly smart animals he can teach tricks, very kid-friendly, and easy to look after. My 4yr old and 10 yr old love our 3 rattie boys.
 flossybear
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 3:40:53 AM
The animal shelter thing is a good idea. He can help out with you and learn about each animal. Once youve helped out a few weeks yiu could even adopt one!

Its a win win as if he gets bored of animals they still have A home at the shelter. And the shelter also gains two volunteers. Its also getting him out and learning new things which im sure will be a distraction for him
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 3:56:57 AM
http://www.petsit.com/choosing-your-childs-first-pet?id=332195
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 4:05:06 AM

I'd be a bit leery of getting him anything that he could suddenly lose, if you get my drift?

Agreed.
If the child is going through a tough time with his parent's separation, having him get attached to a pet only to possibly have it die on him is not a good thing for him emotionally.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/7/2012 4:06:49 AM
I think it's a really bad idea to get him a pet. Really bad. If you intent is to provide a distraction for him, then a new hobby o sport would be fa better.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 4:19:19 AM
I'm with import all the way. Asking someone who is stressed out to take on responsibility for the life and well being of another creature isn't rational in any way.

And a five year old is more likely to stumblingly and unintentionally injure a pet, thus causing them to feel incredible guilt, on top of everything else. Something I unfortunately have first hand experience with.
 cupidsarcher64
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/7/2012 5:11:44 AM
First no 5 year old child should have a dog or cat ..Are they going to walk it or change its litter box ? What is wrong with people today ?Take a trip to your local pet rescue center and see where most pets end up when given to children. Then stick around and watch a few get euthanized ..

"I want to get gim a pet as a form of therapy or distraction."

How about a book not a living thing as a therapy toy ? If your not up to raising and taking care of it yourself dont get it simple as that ..A PET is a living thing possibly with feelings ..Not a form of therapy. Now in a hospital setting with adult supervision yes ! The problem with people today is they think pets are toys ..And no I am not a PETA animal nut either ..Just tired of seeing animals treated like toys !
 MsGirlyMuscle
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/7/2012 5:16:29 AM
I would not advise getting the child a pet. One of the parents would end up having to take care of it, as pets are somewhat like children. Maybe like someone else said, go to the shelter even a zoo with the child, and let him/her see the animals there then go home, without the responsibility of feeding, caring for it etc. The easiest pet to manage is one that is not yours.

A lot of people use/buy pets to try and fill voids, only a couple weeks later to surrender it due to not being able to take care of it.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 5:21:57 AM

A PET is a living thing possibly with feelings ..Not a form of therapy

Totally agreed.

However you could look into hippotherapy. I'm sure there are several farms in Texas that have "hippos" for the kid to work with. It's a wonderful, life changing experience for screwed up kids and you don't have to
'own" anything. It will test your commitment to wellness though as I'm sure the price tag is slightly higher than the ferret you were thinking of.
 lovefun99
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 7:54:14 AM
We had a pair of guinea pigs when my children where little, they adored them.
 Funcuz
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 8:47:33 AM
Nothing .
Look , I know you have the best intentions here but we're talking about a living creature not a plastic toy . 5 year old children have absolutely no sense of responsibility at all .
While you may recognize that you're going to get stuck with this pet in the end (because A) he didn't ask for it and B) even if he had asked for it , 5 year old children have no idea of how to treat animals in the first place ) let's consider that like anything else , small children are going to like it for a while and then just ignore it .

Don't kid yourself , this pet will be entirely yours and it should be .
 Tayfire
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:01:50 AM
There's one pet i can think of that dosen't need much looking after and that's a Goldfish. You only need to change the water every so often and feed it, but saying that sometimes they dont last long.
Is there not an orginisation like the Scouts, boys brigade,or playgroups like what there is in this country that he could join?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:23:31 AM
I don't understand all the pet hating. Yes- pets are living things, and many people anthropomorphize them. Hugging a teddy bear and telling it how sad you are, isn't as therapeutic most of the time as an animal that will nuzzle or snuggle you. When kids don't feel like they can trust a person, they can trust an animal. Also, being responsible for something that is dependent on you, can give a kid greater self esteem.

That being said, I'd probably suggest a rabbit. The only problem with them is they only last about 5 years. I have had friends who have rats and love them, but I think their life expectancy is shorter than rabbits. Guinea pigs are also pretty cute.

Animals that are returned because kids are bored are usually the result of irresponsible parents.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:28:14 AM

I don't understand all the pet hating.

Pet hating? Really?
I see people who are advising against it because they believe it's in the best interest of the 5 year old child, and honestly, the pet as well.
I see NO pet hating.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:35:15 AM
How about a nice "stuffed" animal? Isn't that a great classic toy/companion, and didn't we all have those?
A good-sized cute lamb, or lion or teddy-bear. Isn't there a nice store that customizes these, and he can make it the way he likes?
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:39:28 AM
You should get the pet for yourself and let the child help you take care of it instead of getting the pet for the child. That way it wouldn't matter if the child loses interest. So having said that, what kind of pet would YOU like that is also suitable for a 5 year old to play with and help care for?
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:45:12 AM
My kids love their Betta fish. They have a little tank set up on their bedside table with a small light and they love to watch them swim around while they are falling asleep. The little light on the tank also works as a night light.

It's soothing and they are quite hardy fish and don't require much maintenance...
 darknight48
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:05:00 AM
fish, hamster, gerbil
 Funcuz
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:05:44 AM

I don't understand all the pet hating.

It's the exact opposite of 'pet hating' . It's because a lot of people actually DO care about animals that they advise against putting one in the care of a 5 YEAR OLD CHILD .

Do you love animals ? Do you even like them ? If you answer yes then explain to us how entrusting a CHILD to care for one sounds like a good plan to you ? Would you put that same child in charge of making dinner for the family every day ? How about grocery shopping ?

Secondly , do you really think that any 5 year old child is going to take the kind of responsibility that you (should) know is required to properly care for a pet ? What happens when the kid gets bored with his new little furry friend ? He will . So what happens then ? "Little Johnnie is tired of Bugsy so we're going to take him to the nearest animal shelter so that they can put a needle in it." Little Johnnie is going to be interested in that thing for all of 5 minutes a day on average . And this is all assuming that Little Johnnie isn't the average boy . The average boy wants to turn his bunny rabbit into a test pilot for the latest Helmet-Cannon 5000 .

Thirdly , so what if the animal gives the kid greater self-esteem . 5 year old kids don't need more self-esteem , %99 of them need less . They don't even understand the concept in the first place . Do you actually know any 5 year old children who have self-esteem issues ? If you do then you are living in some sort of fantasy world . You're confusing a child's desire to see his parents with the very adult idea that he could be at fault in some abstract way for their troubles . Kids don't think like that . Most rational adults don't think like that either .

What amazes me is that not only do you not recognize that people who actually care about animals recognize that we don't entrust their well-being to small children but that you would have such unrealistic beliefs about the reasoning ability of the average 5 year old .
 MsGirlyMuscle
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:14:42 AM
^^ This ! Good God, pet hating? Rabbits? Rabbits are more work than meeting people off here. They need space, if left alone they eat wires, carpet, shit all over. Who the hell would give a 5 year old a rabbit ? A gold fish / or Beta like Grace said ...maybe !!!

There are so many animals in back yards tied to chains, in shelters, cages, locked in Apartment bathrooms ( God , watch Animal Cops) or simply left to die because of these sorts of reasons. Oh gee lets get little Suzy a bunny. A week later, that rabbit will be going koo koo because all of a sudden no one will pet it, hold it, love it , feed it. Then it bites little Suzy and ends up in the shelter or the neck of an Albino Burmese Python on Craig's List. Seriously. I do not have a problem feeding the snake, I do have a problem with people buying they know damn well they really do not * need.* Especially to coax or entertain a child.

This is part of how Dalmations have now been so overbred. People watch 101 Dalmations, run out and buy the damn kid one of these dogs and 2 weeks later take it to the pound. Oh gee whiz, what do you mean we have to feed it, walk it, care for it?

No one is hating on pets....we are trying to keep more animals from being bought, re sold, euthanized, mistreated, neglected, etc. And for a 5 year old?

May as well ask a 95 year old in a nursing home to go run a 5k Marathon this Saturday.
 flossybear
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:21:36 AM
Dont get a rabbit. They are the third most neglected pet as people think theyre cute and docile. People also think they dont need much maintenence. WRONG rabbits are not as docile and friendly as you may think they also have sharp claws and teeth and are very skittish . Most dont like being held and need lots of room and exercise they putcant just be locked in a hutch all day. They are not good pets for children.
 MissUnknownLegend
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/7/2012 10:44:31 AM
"I'd be a bit leery of getting him anything that he could suddenly lose, if you get my drift? How about a guaranteed portion of your time each day."

Oh he does get plenty of structured time with me, but you make a good point about the pet thing. His parents did the mistake of getting him dog after dog mostly because they couldn't care for them. They'd end up dead or lost.
To make it I feel bad for the lil guy. Last night he threw a tantrum because his mother threw out "his friend" rollie pollie. I feel horrible. :(
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's a suitable pet for a 5 yr. old child other than dogs or cats?