Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you snort or blow your nose?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Do you snort or blow your nose?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm sitting here at my desk listening to a coworker constantly snorting snot every few seconds instead of blowing his nose.
It's really quite disgusting.
Should I leave a box of tissues on his desk?
What whould you do?
Which do YOU do?
 soicat
Msg: 2
Do you snort or blow your nose?
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:10:03 AM
Pay attention to your own work and perhaps you'll eventually be rewarded with a private office. You must be subject to all manner of indignities in your current seating arrangement - some kind of cubicle I would guess.
 Welsh474
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:50:27 AM
I share an office with someone and she eats snap peas and raw carrots during the day...with her mouth open. I've put up with this for over a year now. When she gets chomping I usually leave my office. One day I know I'll go "postal" and just spew out some ill thought string of obscenities. The thing is, she's so friggin sensitive that if I talk to her about it she'll be in tears for days. So I put up with it and do a mini rant every once in awhile to let off steam.

The thing is, folks who snort probably don't realize how annoying it is. Same with the ones that clear their throats in a piggish way. After awhile it becomes a habit. I'd try the box of tissues on the desk thing and see how it goes.

We used to have a lawyer in our office that had hygiene issues - the b.o. was just terrible. No one wanted to hang their coats in the closet because they ended up smelling just like him. One gal we had in during a mat. leave ended up leaving a note on his chair basically saying "we all really like you but you have to do something about your body odor". It worked...for awhile. I see him every once in awhile and he still stinks.

I'm sure there is some things that I do that might bug someone and I'd appreciate it if they told me. Procol will have to deal with the snorting and I'll have to deal with the carrot eating eventually. All in a days work - but when I win the lottery, I'm outta here.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/23/2012 9:55:36 AM
You little..... attention seeker! Why I oughtta......

I'd either bonk him on the back of the head with a box of tissues, well-timed of course to coincide with the snortage, OR I'd leave an extra large box of kleenex on his desk with detailed written instructions. It's not a "flow chart"... it's a "blow chart".

Operant conditioning: Moan in a really exasperated tone of voice every time he does it... invoking the deity of your choice. You know you can do it....... Jayzus! Gawd! Christalmighty! Moses! Holy Mother of God! Then slap the desk and start rolling your eyes. Or get one of those really loud air horns and pull the trigger every time he snorts.

Or send a friendly email with this link: http://www.ehow.com/video_4986477_blow-nose.html
...AND the instructor is an LPN. Now *that's* authority.

P.S. I'll be waiting for an update.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:28:07 AM
Damn I love being self-employed and working from home.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:44:18 AM
This is exactly why I started my own business. NO audio annoyance from the next cube. NO people trying to give you trouble on purpose. NO screaming meanie fit -thrower bosses. No nightmarish games of "Beat the Clock" every morning to be on time -- or else!.......

The type of work I do is actually quite easy in itself. It's unnecessary pestulance from co-workers and bosses that make the work hard.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:44:19 AM

You little..... attention seeker! Why I oughtta......

I'd either bonk him on the back of the head with a box of tissues, well-timed of course to coincide with the snortage, OR I'd leave an extra large box of kleenex on his desk with detailed written instructions. It's not a "flow chart"... it's a "blow chart".

Operant conditioning: Moan in a really exasperated tone of voice every time he does it... invoking the deity of your choice. You know you can do it....... Jayzus! Gawd! Christalmighty! Moses! Holy Mother of God! Then slap the desk and start rolling your eyes. Or get one of those really loud air horns and pull the trigger every time he snorts.

Or send a friendly email with this link: http://www.ehow.com/video_4986477_blow-nose.html
...AND the instructor is an LPN. Now *that's* authority.

P.S. I'll be waiting for an update.

I'm very visual- LOVE the visual I got with the airhorn. HA.

I'd go with the email and I'd be standing there beside him with popcorn when he opens it.

Damn I love being self-employed and working from home
. Amen and pass the big buscuits.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:47:57 AM
I did work with a "snorter" once. One day I gently explained to him that if he would blow his nose, the mucus wouldn't drain down his throat. Then he would no longer have that terrible cough. It sunk in.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:50:18 AM
You know you can do it....... Jayzus! Gawd! Christalmighty! Moses! Holy Mother of God!

Ah...now that brought back memories of when I...
Um...NM

I'm muttering a few of those words every time I hear the gut wrenching sound of mucous rattling around in his nasal passages.
Luckily he went out for lunch today so I was able to keep my food down.
 pescando75
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/23/2012 11:32:03 AM
I'd tell them I'm tired of listening to it and tell them to blow their damn nose rather than create an internet thread about it. LOL!
 Attercop
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/23/2012 12:39:07 PM
* What I would do:
Hold out your tissue box to him, asking "would you like a tissue?"
If he takes one, ask sweetly, "would you like to keep the box?"
If he declined the tissue, I'd keep holding the box out, while giving him The Look.

I'm assuming it's a temporary issue so it need not really be addressed the same as if he did it chronically.

* What I did do:
I had a case of the snots and was told by a supervisor that I couldn't be away from my desk 200 times in a day to go blow my nose in the bathroom; then told by a cubicle neighbor that blowing my nose at my desk was a disgusting habit.

Whereupon I put my thumb on one nostril and let fly onto the carpet.

Ohhhhh to be in Prairie Dog Town again (not).
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 1:02:32 PM

I'm assuming it's a temporary issue so it need not really be addressed the same as if he did it chronically.

Could be allergies...we've had some high pollen counts lately.
I just moved into a new cube about a month ago. It's been chronic. I could handle a sniffle once in a while, but these?
Like fingernails on the blackboard.
 daynadaze
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 1:49:47 PM
Blowing or snorting is going to be gross to all who have to be around it, one or the other isn't going to make that go away. But according to medical info, blowing can cause a lot of problems, snorting is your better choice. I'm sure this person doesn't have a cold or allergy problem just to annoy you OP, get a grip. Oh and get some ear plugs.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 1:56:37 PM
it COULD BE allergies ... and maybe he thinks he's not making any noise ...
sometimes people aren't aware they're making disgusting sounds ... or ...
it could be the carpet in the new area is still out-gassing ... making him the
font of mucous he appears to be and maybe making you irritable ...

how well do you know the guy? maybe you could go to his cubicle and say
something friendly like, "you really seem to be having that cold for quite a
long time ... do you think it might be allergies? have you seen a doctor
about it? did the doctor offer you any advice?" you know ... commiserating
instead of accusing ... friendly ... caring ...

I always loved my jobs but sometimes had a great deal of effort invested in
putting up with my annoying co-workers ... one guy stunk up his entire
office so bad that after he left, we THREW AWAY his chair ... had the room
deep cleaned ... and it STILL stunk ... I doubt he was aware of the extent
of his gaseous distention and emissions !!!!
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/23/2012 2:59:01 PM
I would let out an, EWWWWWW, GROSS!!!

How could you not???
 cotter
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 3:02:46 PM
I'd go into a long drawn out story of how I trained my children by the time they were two-year olds to blow their nose and never swallow their snot. Then I'd tell them how I got my children (two-year olds) to keep their noses clean without having to ingest any of it's contents.

Next I'd also add that while they're at it (snorting up that snot) they are sure to get boogers with it as well.
You could also leave him some floss for getting the "tough and crumbly" ones out from his teeth.

Following is something you could print up and leave on his desk ... just to let him know what it is he's swallowing. As a nurse, I have actually noted that some patients who swallow enough of it, also poo it out in the same form they swallow it. Now that is some smeary mess!

"Boogers are mucus (myoo-kuss). Mucus is the thin, slippery material that is found inside your nose. Many people call mucus snot. Your nose makes nearly a cupful of snot every day. Snot is produced by the mucous membranes in the nose, which it moistens and protects.

When you inhale air through your nose, it contains lots of tiny particles, like dust, dirt, germs, and pollen. If these particles made it all the way to the lungs, the lungs could get damaged and it would be difficult to breathe. Snot works by trapping the particles and keeping them in the nose.

After these particles get stuck inside the nose, the mucus surrounds them along with some of the tiny hairs inside the nose called cilia. The mucus dries around the particles. When the particles and dried-out mucus clump together, you're left with a booger!

Boogers can be squishy and slimy or tough and crumbly. In fact, boogers are a sign that your nose is working properly
."
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 4:00:48 PM
That was an interesting and informative post, Cotter. Icky, but worth learning. Thanks.

I would let out an, EWWWWWW, GROSS!!!

How could you not???

A man that I contract for sometimes has NO sense of smell due to wearing dentures, plus a past nasal operation.
Sadly, his favorite food is beans. He farts freely all the time. He doesn't smell his farts, so, he tends to forget that others do smell them.

I take air freshener to work at his place of business, and spray it frequently. I just don't want our clients to think I am the "guilty party".
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 4:02:08 PM
^^^
Thank you nurse Ratchet...errr...Cotter.
I get to hear his nose working extremely properly every few seconds.
I'm thinking he can hear it and is aware he's engaging in that activity since he's about 20 feet away and it makes the coffee in my coffee cup tremble.

I'm sure this person doesn't have a cold or allergy problem just to annoy you OP, get a grip.

True enough, but the issue is not the cold or allergy, but the chronic snorting of snot at or above the acceptable OSHA decibel limit.
 LoveMyDog55
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/23/2012 4:30:03 PM
Perhaps you can partake in some club soda and respond with high decible belches
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:52:02 PM
I would not only give him the tissues but some over the counter allergy pills along with some printed info. on Snorters, Bad habits, "Why hankerchiefs were invented",etc., all in a basket with a nice note saying we all chipped in,etc.,etc.

Hate to say it but chronic snorters usually never stop. Make it obvious and hopefully he'll work on stopping his bad habit.

By the way, when I was in the Gym once, this guy was snorting so loud I could hear it over my earbuds. I loudly exclaimed to someone "Wow, I can hear his snorting over my music, disgusting!!" Lol, I knew I probably wouldn't see him again so why not speak up! I know I never HEARD him again.

Good luck!
 cotter
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 8:31:56 PM

Thank you nurse Ratchet...errr...Cotter.
I get to hear his nose working extremely properly every few seconds.
LMAO ...

I have a pretty strong stomach, but that snorting stuff makes me want to barf.

I have already told people (described it in details) just what they are swallowing and how offensive it is to be subjected to the noise of them doing it. If it continues, I make remarks like ... "What flavor was that one?" or "Do you feel better now?"
 Pinky127
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/24/2012 8:51:17 AM
My God,Procol.............i cant believe i 'missed' this Thread til now and i cant stop laughing with a bit of a snort thrown in for good measure..................

Did you leave Piggy a box of tissues on the desk?
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 9:28:34 AM
^^^
I can't believe you missed it either!
Nice start to the weekend.
He's on "summer hours" today so he's out.
SOOOO QUIET!
 billingsmason
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 10:04:36 AM
really? do many people have a problem speaking their mind?

I'd probably say something like..." Fvcks the matter with you? What are you eight years old?"
And to the guy in the office..." Same as above, with a blow your nose tossed in there too."
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2012 1:26:29 PM

really? do many people have a problem speaking their mind?
I'd probably say something like..." Fvcks the matter with you? What are you eight years old?"

Speaking your mind can also be done politely. Your approach might make for a hostile work environment.
Unless that was humor.
Hard to tell.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Do you snort or blow your nose?