Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do single women wear rings on their left ring finger?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brandon889
Msg: 1
Why do single women wear rings on their left ring finger? Page 1 of 1    
There is a girl in one of my classes who I would really like to talk to. I'm not really sure how to approach her, but thats another story. Today, I noticed for the first time she had a ring on her left ring finger. I had never seen her wearing it before and I feel like it would have stood out since day one. It looks like it might be silver, or white gold with a few emeralds or some other green stone. I think one of the stones, the center one, is in the shape of a heart. Anyways, she is very young; no older than 21. I know that some women wear purity rings on that finger, and I really hope thats what it is if their even is a special meaning behind it. So anyways, can any women out there give me a suggestion as to what it may be symbolize, I dont want to go barking up the wrong tree... Also, any encouragement and advice as to how to approach her would be nice as well. I'm a good guy, with a great smile so I feel like once I make a move I should have a pretty good chance at success.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
Why do single women wear rings on their left ring finger?
Posted: 8/27/2012 12:46:27 PM
Ask A Girl > Ring on left finger http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15237522.aspx
Off Topic > Ring on left "ring" finger http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts7796489.aspx
Ask A Girl > Why wear a ring when your not married? http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts10542942.aspx
 phoenix_55
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/27/2012 12:58:41 PM
Can't speak for the girl in your class, but I used to wear my wedding ring when I went out after I was divorced to keep undesirables away. But if some guy approaches you want to talk to, it's easy to slip off and put on the other hand ;)
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 1:08:10 PM

Because they want to. There is no rule that that finger is reserved for ONLY wedding rings. Thats just the one you are supposed to wear a wedding ring on if you are married.

I would put no faith in it unless it looked like a wedding band or engagement ring.

Cowboy
 RushLuv
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/27/2012 1:24:26 PM
I can wear a ring on my left ring finger all I please to.

No where in the books does it state a ring should only be worn on a persons left ring finger, unless married or engaged to be married.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:07:37 PM

To keep the self-professed "good" guys away.
 brad29483
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 2:08:54 PM
I try to avoid rings on my middle fingers as it slows the reaction time on giving someone the finger.
 LGG62
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:13:59 PM
I wear rings on my left hand all the time. I like unique rings that don't look like wedding or engagement rings (a large flower, a unique twisted metal, a large bead or gem, etc.). I'm right handed, and a lot of my rings get in my way or just annoy me when I use that hand. So I wear the funky ones on my left hand, and the smaller ones on my right, if I wear them on that hand.
 joan_jett
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/27/2012 4:47:16 PM
If it's a heart ring it might be a claddagh ring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring

Irish in origin, it depends what way round the heart is facing whether the person wearing it is available or not.

Or she could just be wearing it because she like it?

And I agree, sometimes we wear rings on our wedding fingers to keep guys away.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:19:14 PM
It really is best just to ask, OP. I've worn my grandma's wedding ring before both in and out of a relationship. I happen to like diamonds, and why not use what I already own if I feel like it? I honestly wasn't thinking about the menfolk when I put it on in the morning. I can appreciate you not wanting to be chatty w/ a woman if you think she might be married, and that's admirable. I'm the same way with not chatting up married men. However, we Ladies like jewelry, so we have by now confused the symbolism re rings and the left hand. A problem easily clarified by just communicating :)
 lad3da
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:46:50 PM
I wear one when I want men to leave me alone
=)
 femaleconnection
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 10:09:18 AM

I wear one when I want men to leave me alone

Ditto
 TheOgre
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/28/2012 11:02:49 AM
Why not just comment on the ring, tell her it's pretty or unique or whatever. Then, if she is in a relationship of some type she will mention it. If not, ask her where she found it (natural question when discussing something) and if it's from someone special she'll tell you.

See how easy that is?

Not only do you get an opening to talk to her, provided by her, but you also get an answer to a question bugging you beyond that.
 Full_of_Grace67
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 12:28:52 PM
You could always look over and say "Wow, that's a pretty ring..." and hopefully she will elaborate a little on where/whom she got it from. But honestly, if she flirts with you, you can be pretty sure it's just a piece of jewelry and hopefully she is not seeing anyone...

Good luck!
 c_deacon
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 12:40:23 PM
I wear one on my left hand when I want to show off that finger, or because I got a new ring, or when I want women to wonder if I am yet another married man, or to get tan line to show that when I take it off making those that do not know me think I am married and trying to not show it..........In other words, because we can, both men and women, and if you have a problem, or want to know, ask!!

It can be a great conversation starter.....lol

cd
 _sunny_skies_darlin_
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/28/2012 10:04:38 PM
"Yet another married man" made me chuckle. It got me thinking and I see WAY more men WITHOUT wedding bands.
So either there are more single men around or maybe some of the married ones don't wear a ring, lol??
I've yet to see a man that I was interested in and be like "Oh he's married", lol.
Or maybe the men I happen to find attractive are just not the married ones.
I actually think a lot of the better ones are NOT married =)
 That_girl*
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/29/2012 4:22:39 PM
Aristotle_Amadopolis

To keep the self-professed "good" guys away.

now thats funny...yup there are alot of the "im such a good/nice men" out here some are so good an sweet that they usually wait till after the first phone call or 3rd email to let their true a sshole hole out this usually occurs when you dont linger off their every word or disagree with just the littlest thing they have to say..

as for the op just ask her make a comment/compliment about the ring im sure she will tell you the story then you will find out..as for why some women do well we all have our reasons for why us singles ones may wear a ring on the wedding finger..
 Indysweetpea2001_
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:02:31 PM
I wear rings on both hands just for the fact that i love jewelry. However even when wearing my mothers rings with my kids birthstones out to karaoke I had men accuse me of being married. Weird.
 TaurusQueen1990
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:41:36 PM
We like to pretend we're married. Or perhaps we just put a ring on the finger without giving it a second thought. :P The simplest answer is usually the right one.
 grove_22
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/29/2012 7:41:22 PM

Can't speak for the girl in your class, but I used to wear my wedding ring when I went out after I was divorced to keep undesirables away. But if some guy approaches you want to talk to, it's easy to slip off and put on the other hand ;)

I have seen some women do things like that. One time I was at a bar with a woman and some other people. She had a ring on left ring finger. When an attractive man approached her, she removed the ring and put it inside her purse. When he left and a less attractive man approached her, she put the ring back on her left ring finger.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 6:54:17 PM
Here are some thoughts on men and jewelry of all kinds:

I think men are kind of "funny" about jewelry anyway. I noticed when I was single that whatever ring I wore on either hand - no matter what it looked like -- some man would always ask me if it was a wedding or engagement ring.

I later read in a book that women who are "looking" should not wear jewelry at all. Men may tend to assume that any jewelry was given to her by another man -- and given to her because he was in love with her. He might also assume that if she had on nice jewelry, she was "high maintenance" and would expect him to give her jewelry as well.

I also have been wearing costume jewelry with stones the size of postage stamps -- and had men ask me if they were real diamonds. (No matter what color the stones were). BTW: most men aren't jewelry experts.

I would, however, wear lots of nice rings and diamonds to a dance club. A LOT of MUCH younger men always asked me to dance with them when I did that. I thought of the jewelry as my "gigalo magnets. And I do like to dance.

Once, though, I wore my 3 carat diamond heart necklace when I was out with the girls at a dance place for people around my age. I usually get to dance every dance. That night I got totally ignored. (Men don't like heart shaped jewelry, especially sparkly heart shaped jewelry)

But I did lay off ALL jewelry when I was looking or just starting to date a particular man. After I got to know him, I would tell him why, and ask him if he minded my wearing my jewelry. I just said that most of it was either a family treasure or costume. No details.

Once though, I met a nice man while wearing my three giant gold omegas and my huge Concord watch. He asked me out, so I just never stopped wearing them in his presence. I later asked him if he minded my jewelry and he stated that he had never noticed them. So, I added a costume jewelry slide with stones to one of the omegas. He was onto THAT in a hurry! (Men only notice sparkly things).

When I was single and doing some business travel I got tired of being hit on by male business travelers (yeah! monkey business!) so I wore my old wedding set on my left hand. I got hit on MORE! Go figure.

My new husband and I had "the talk" about my jewelry a long time ago. He was cool with my jewelry. I don't begrudge him any possession he owns that another lady has given him in the past. I don't even object to him keeping his "little box of memories". He wears his former wedding ring on his right hand when he goes out, and I'm glad for him to have an extra piece of nice jewelry. Because after a marriage or romance is over a wedding ring (or other gem) is just that -- a nice piece of jewelry. I wish more men would understand that that's the way women feel about their own jewelry, too.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Why do single women wear rings on their left ring finger?