Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is dating over 55 the sweet spot for men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DragonBits
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is dating over 55 the sweet spot for men?Page 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
It appears to that at about age 55 men have more choices to dating than women. Of course I am talking about dating within a few years of age 55, not dating 20 years younger.

Is this what men and women have found to be true?
 laskoboo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is dating over 55 the sweet spot for men?
Posted: 10/4/2012 9:44:03 AM
My grandmother , years after grandfather died.. wanted to go online dating, or at least check it out.
lol

She concluded all the men in her age group were dead as there was no one in her age group to contact ( close to 80).......... so she began emailing 55 to 65 year old men.
It was cute.. they were all so polite to her. One wanted to meet her.......
then she chickened out despite my telling her I would pick him up and drive them both out for lunch :)
lol

Lots more women over 55 looking, but they are particular !!!
so good luck trying to charm a mature and strong woman with the standard dating site crap... "hey, your hot"
won't cut it.
:)
so if your impling women over 55 more desperate, easier to date.. not hardly.
I know many 55 and older woman, who are strong, beautiful, and very stable in life... they are not much interested in your average joe or dating one. They say its harder to find quality men over 55. I believe them.
 DragonBits
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 10:01:16 AM
I implying there are more quality women over 55 than there are quality men. They just have to find each other.

Maybe many men and women over 55 don't want to date at all, but it's likely the same pecentage for each gender, so they don't count.
 justherefortheforum10960
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/4/2012 10:22:59 AM
When I went through my divorce 3 years ago I was 55 and hadn't dated anyone since my late 20's. At that time I was a poor struggling artist. Dates were hard to find. Voila, at age 55, I was well off, an entrepreneur, still had all my hair, I was straight, single, and living in a cool apartment in Soho. I could have (and sometimes did) dated a different woman every night. Things were definitely better for me at 55.
 c_deacon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 10:29:21 AM
Will let you know when I get there......lmao

Right now, I do not see a difference at all, as long as I continue to find awesome looking, self sufficient women that are over 40 and good about it!!

cd
 Giggles10000
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/4/2012 10:40:09 AM
For the right man--there is always a sweet spot--but to think cause there is a *lack of other men makes your chances better really does imply that a woman would lower her standards--and yet everyone talks about how much more picky older people are.
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:05:44 AM
It's sweet anytime I hit that spot, no matter the age.
No, it is not true, fun can be had at any age; at 55 who wants and needs a life long commitment?
We have already have had it, I hope.
 DragonBits
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:08:18 AM

really does imply that a woman would lower her standards--and yet everyone talks about how much more picky older people are.

I don't think lowering your standards is what I was talking about, but to be honest if there is a huge number of people vying for your attention, then it's human nature to get more picky.

I was assuming you don't lower your standards.

If there are 100 men that meet your standards, you are likely to meet someone fairly quick, and thus no longer be looking.

But if there are only 2 men that meet your standards, then you are going to have to be looking a lot longer to find 1 of those 2 men. Thus it's more likely that a man that meets your standards will have a greater chance of meeting you.
 DragonBits
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 11:09:39 AM

at 55 who wants and needs a life long commitment?

On the other hand, I don't have nearly as much life to commit. Less risk the older we get.
 YAMACANMECRAZY
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/4/2012 12:14:03 PM

But if there are only 2 men that meet your standards, then you are going to have to be looking a lot longer to find 1 of those 2 men.

If there are only 2 men that meet your standards, then you had better hope you meet theirs!!

Thus it's more likely that a man that meets your standards will have a greater chance of meeting you.

This does not follow any kind of logic
 DragonBits
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 12:52:51 PM

This does not follow any kind of logic

Statically you can prove there are more women at the age of 55 and older looking for someone by using the search feature on PoF.

Logically there should me more women than men since women live about 7-10 years longer than men, and typically men are already 2-3 years older than a woman when they do get married. So divorced men are already 2-3 years older than divorced women.

Really, the biggest factor is women start to out number men on dating sites after age 54.

I was posing this as a question, I believe it is correct but am open to others proving it is not correct.
 laskoboo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:10:56 PM

Really, the biggest factor is women start to out number men on dating sites after age 54.

seems too young still....... I'd say by age 65 they would start to outnumber men, altough maybe not on dating sites as many women have been married 40 plus years by this point and now widowed or divorced and no intention of getting involved with another man.
BY age 75, the woman outnumber the men which is apparent in nursing homes.
Again, these women not looking for a man......... good food, nice game or music, good secondary health care plan, but not men.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:12:09 PM
Im only 46 so maybe my opinion won't count... But I see no reason why dating at 55 would be any easier or better then at any other age... If what I read on the forums has any truth to it I would expect it to be even harder... The 55 year old today won't be the same 55 year old in 10 years from now.. Todays 40+ year old are more indenpanded seem to know exactly what they want, need and deserve. Again from reading the posts on the forums. If they don't find exactly what they are looking for then its nothing more then settling for the second best.
Now for us guys its not much better. We have this idea of what we want as well. We also have our own idea of what attracts us which would be something from 25 years ago or even 30. Like it or not guys go for the looks more often. Women know it too, Just look at the profiles where the boobs are half the pic or pics of there a$$ in the mirror. So the older we would get the more single people would be out there. We would all be just floting in space and keep on looking and bouncing off each other.
I think the biggest thing is that the longer we are single the more used we are to being single (men and women). We would almost and look for reason why this person or that person is not good enough so we can stay single and not rock the boat. The number of single people is growing each year. If you think in a logical way there isn't realy any reason to be in a relationship. On the emotional level we all do want to meet our counterpart. I also know of a couple men in the 80 who been single for many years. Both said that they see no benifit in a relationship. Both are well to do, fit and active, Kind of guys that most women would wish to snare.
 TwistedAir
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:26:33 PM
Women age 10 years faster than men so for the most part Id say this would be true. The skin on a woman takes a nosedive after 40. This aging effect is described as rugged on a man and dried up on a woman. Hey I didnt come up with the names. Gravity has a dramatic effect on women as well. Some guys get beer bellies while women just get plain fat.

Aging suck for both sexes...
 L0thari0
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:32:08 PM
I think I had the most options when I was about 35 to 40. I was mature, owned a successful business, was confident, but not arrogant, tall and physically fit. I had everything and the 20 somethings were lined up.

At 50, for what ever reason, many women my own age seem to just hate me at first sight. I've spoken to women that literally would not tell me the time! Women in their 30s say I'm attractive, but too old. So, I generally date women in their early 20s.

I think it's weird. I really don't get why I have that affect on women my age because I'd really be interested in dating one.

c'est la vie
 deere_rancher
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 3:12:21 PM

It appears to that at about age 55 men have more choices to dating than women.

Nonsense ..! women still have all the same choices they have always had ,
They just have them with less attractive men now .
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/4/2012 3:54:17 PM
Based on my own personal experiences so far, no......at least not yet.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 4:29:02 PM
More choices does not always mean better choices.
:-P
 WeebitRusty
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/4/2012 5:04:22 PM
"...at 55 who wants and needs a life long commitment?"

I do and I'm sure many in our age bracket feel the same. As for the sweet spot - I might have to agee to some extent. I find men at 55-ish to be very hot in so many ways: kids are gone, they generally look great, they have reached their peak at work, have a little disposible income (no kids, probably house paid for or close to it), they seek some sort of adventure by doing things they couldn't do while raising a family, have a sense of adventure, appreciate the little things in life as they've already discovered what is important and what isn't. I think guys my own age are great.

Most mean in the 55-ish age group are just as realistic as women - we all know that we come with a past, gravity hits us all as does wrinkles, grey hair, etc. and we don't care. We take people more at face value and tend to treat each other with respect. We know what is of value and realize it isn't always the dollar or the shiney car.

Most in the 55-ish range also know how to box up the baggage, we know what we want from a partner and what we are prepared to give, which is usually ALL of ourselves. We know the difference between love and lust. We know what a great relationship SHOULD be: we should be each other's biggest fans and always have each other's backs. The 55-ish age group "gets" this.

So, yup, that's what I want - a 55-ish dide and I will cherish him with all my heart. Both genders should feel this way about our age group. We're at the best age. JMO.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/4/2012 5:26:52 PM

It appears to that at about age 55 men have more choices to dating than women. Of course I am talking about dating within a few years of age 55, not dating 20 years younger.

Not at all.

From the number of rather desperate men over the age of 50 who have contacted me, I would say that the choice of many men are very limited. Of course, most of those men are unrealistic in their choice of women: they want hot, sexy, good-looking women but they lack those same characteristics.

I also know women who say that they can't get dates, but not as many as men.

Truthfully, it boils down to the man and the woman--attractive people of any sex will will get more attention. Men who have money will get more attention from women, but not knowing many women with a lot of money, I can't say if the opposite is true.

I have never had a problem with meeting men online or in real life, and I have dated as many--or more--younger men than older men. However, I do not think that my experience is that of most 59 year old women.

The problem continues to be meeting men who are appealing in ALL ways. In seven years of dating, my current boyfriend (whom I did not meet online) is the second man with whom I have considered a long term relationship.

On what do you base your opinion?

Edit: after reading other posts, I see that your statement is really that there are more "quality" women than men. Since women outlive men, it might be that the good men die young.
 DumbeBlonde
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:17:53 AM
I wouldn't say so. I had no difficulty dating at 55.

Ten years later, that might be true for women. But one of the reasons may be that by then, some men develop health issues that interfere with their ability to be fully functional in the bedroom. And I'm not specifically referring to erectile dysfunction. Some develop heart problems and are not allowed to get excited (happened to a male friend of mine). Also a woman I knew experienced her lover dying in the middle of coitus - pretty awful - she was in her early 50s.

So the pool from which we, 60+ women, are fishing has far fewer fish that meet our needs. But from a man's viewpoint, yes - you'll have more fish in YOUR pond if you're healthy and presentable.

But having said that, much depends on where one lives, too. In a city of several million, I'm lucky to have a larger dating pool. But I've friends who live in smaller towns who find it hard to meet men and are quite lonely.

But the premise of your last sentence in Msg 8 is flawed.
Blondie.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 5:11:27 AM

Women age 10 years faster than men so for the most part Id say this would be true. The skin on a woman takes a nosedive after 40. This aging effect is described as rugged on a man and dried up on a woman. Hey I didnt come up with the names. Gravity has a dramatic effect on women as well. Some guys get beer bellies while women just get plain fat.

LOL...obviously you haven't done a search for men in my area between 48-55. 90% of them like look my grandfather, and one actually looks like he came out of his coffin just to have his POF picture taken.

If these guys look 10 years YOUNGER than we women in the same age bracket, then I can only assume I must look 100 years old.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/5/2012 6:06:21 AM
Too many variable to consider on this OP.

For one you would have to be available to date.

My 20's had a mixed bag of results. Partly because I was a rookie, partly because I couldn't afford much dating and partly because I was in relationships.

For all of my 30's I was married. Every time I tried to ask a woman on a date my wife would drag me away by my ear lobe and I'd have to say my 30's sucked as far as getting dates.

The forties, however, Rocked. I was single, could afford to date and still looked good enough to attract a fare share of women. I was also not ready to settle down again, which was good for quantity of dates, but not so good for quality of relationships. So raises the question of what's the definition of success in dating? In a weeks time one guy gets dates with 7 different women and his friend dates the same woman for 7 days. Who was more successful?

So now I'm at the ripe age of over 55, or as you put it, in the sweet spot. How do I see it? Well I'm no longer a slave to my hormones so I am actually making choices with the 2 eyed head for one. I don't seem to be concerned these days about pairing off with someone. I've had my children, been married twice and now just wanto to enjoy life as much as possible. Meet a lot of people instead of someone. I'm surrounded by people all of the time, many of which are women. We are not on a date. We are just enjoying each others company. So dating hasn't been a priority over the age of 55 so far. Maybe it will be after 60. Things change.
 Scottisgood
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 6:41:42 AM
Dating for anyone over 55 can have a wide variety of choices male or female. Unless you are unable to get around or have no money then options will begin closing.
 HDgal51
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:08:00 AM
I'm 61. I'd be more than happy to date a 55 yr old man...as long as he was in good shape. :) But they don't seem to be interested in older women. They want younger women. I saw on one man's profile who was 56 the ages he was interested in which was 21-45. Really? That seems a bit unrealistic to me.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Is dating over 55 the sweet spot for men?