Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > texting      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatgirl999
Msg: 1
textingPage 1 of 1    
I met a guy online here at POF that I went to school with. We weren't real close in school, but at least I know something about him. He and I have a lot in common, and, because I knew him before, i gave him my number sooner than I normally would. He texted me after he got out of work today and I texted him back, and then he called and we had a nice conversation (it was our first one since high school, 16 years ago). And now... I want to text him just to keep the communication open because I am interested in him but I don't want to seem "clingly." So, what do I do? Do i text him? if so, what do I say? Or should I wait for him to text me?
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 2
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 5:57:07 PM
Simply call him and suggest going out somewhere.

There's nothing wrong with letting a guy know that you have interest by calling him and suggesting going out. It does not come off as needy or clingy. Please take those kinds of words out of the dating dictionary. Just be real.
 Abbeygirl58
Msg: 3
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 7:08:44 PM
I agree be real and natural....don't be clingy or needy but as adults we don't need to play games...if you are interested show it!!!!
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 4
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 8:08:22 PM

So, what do I do? Do i text him? if so, what do I say? Or should I wait for him to text me?

You folks and your text message.. CALL in the very least..and ideally ARRANGE A DATE...

TEXTS do not tell you much other than what's on the surface. You need to hear how it's said (phone) or at the most (see it and hear it in person through speech and body language)

Pick up the phone!
TEXT messaging is the little virus that causes relationships to die fast.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 5
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 8:32:38 PM
Why not call him? Texting is lame.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 6
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 8:36:44 PM

Do i text him?

In honor of the 20th anniversary of the very first text (today), I say text him. And text him the exact same first text:

"Merry Christmas"
 toightpants
Msg: 7
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 8:44:51 PM

I want to text him just to keep the communication open because I am interested in him but I don't want to seem "clingly." So, what do I do?

Get a life.
Do something interesting.
That way you do something other than pine by the phone and next time you talk to him you have something interesting to say.
 StraylightRunn
Msg: 8
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/3/2012 10:34:45 PM

Why not call him? Texting is lame.

Texting is the new thing get over it.

To the Original post:

Having a conversation with someone doesn't make you clingy. Texting someone and getting pissed off they didn't text you back 5 minutes later and then saying "Hello!? ARE YOU THERE? WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING ME!" that's clingy. If you want to text him, text him. Game playing is for children.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 9
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 2:08:45 PM

Eh, think "roach motel" for dating. Looks good, but if you take a bite out of what's inside, it can be fatal.
Texting is the new thing for the weak..
Most folks think because most women do it that it'll score you points..

Go to the mall or any public place where there are lot of women, you'll see a GOOD NUMBER of women talking on the phone ...

If it's any consolation most women usually compliment my lack of interest in texting.
I don't exchange anymore than two messages via text with someone I'm dating, I end it and tell her I'm busy and will call her later or if I'm free (and we haven't spoken in a bit) will call if she texts me the "hey how are you?"

Like I said , the main problem is that is a mask that can't tell you what's behind what's being said..

Besides, all your communication should be saved for your date..not the text screen or the phone
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 10
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 2:31:39 PM

Texting is 20 yrs old now. Where have you been?

OP: call him.
 greatblah
Msg: 11
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 4:31:17 PM
Tell him this: "I'm not clingy and I don't intend to be. However, come here and wrap your arms around my legs. Wrap your legs around my arms. Wrap your hair around my skin."

Will this get me banned? I hope not. I'll be crushed.
 VA-Shelley
Msg: 12
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 4:51:44 PM
Just because you met him in high school doesn't mean you have to sound like you are still IN high school. Geeze... You are adults now. Call him, or if you must, text him and ask what is a good for you to give him a call.

I hate texting. I think it is so impersonal for a conversation. I look at it as a written note or message... not a full out conversation.

Good Luck
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 4:56:41 PM
Hmmm.

You want to text him for your own sake, so that you will feel that there's a connection. But you are afraid that he will see your texts as pointless, and therefore you will come across as clingy or demanding of his time.

Logically then, you should only text him when you have some actual point to doing so.

If you look at what you want to text, take a deep breath, and realize that you actually don't care how the guy responds as long as he does respond, then do NOT send it. Wait until you have something to say that matters.
 AnnB72
Msg: 14
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 6:42:13 PM

If you look at what you want to text, take a deep breath, and realize that you actually don't care how the guy responds as long as he does respond, then do NOT send it. Wait until you have something to say that matters.

Yes, like inviting him on a date so you can talk face to face.
Good luck!
;)
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 15
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 7:17:08 PM

Since when is texting the new thing? Get over yourself. WTF does it matter to you who texts and who doesn't.
 Calm_One
Msg: 16
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/4/2012 10:46:00 PM
Nah, don't play waiting games...
Just text or call him and say "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could get together and drink some coffee" (or drink of your choice)?
If he can't run with that, I don't think he has any future plans for you.
 Hero421
Msg: 17
texting
Posted: 12/5/2012 9:26:36 AM
I couldn't agree more texting is lame, just a shame this day and age,
that some people would rather text than be real adults and just call.
 ^campfires^
Msg: 18
view profile
History
texting
Posted: 12/5/2012 9:59:16 AM
Call him! Don't play games. There are no "rules".

Texting is one of many communication options, and usually the worst choice.

A good text might be:
"Call when you can talk for a few minutes." (Then ask him out when he does.)

Keep Fishing!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > texting