Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Texting without revealing phone number      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LaughingHeart12
Msg: 1
Texting without revealing phone numberPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do any of you know of a way to both send and receive texts without revealing your own phone number? It seems I've read about a web site that can be used for that, but I don't recall specifics. Too much of my personal info is revealed by simply googling my phone number (a couple of former students have resumes on the web that include my full contact info), so I prefer to wait until after the first meet to give out my phone number. This is a dating issue for me, so I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. If not, please advise.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 2
Texting without revealing phone number
Posted: 12/12/2012 7:16:45 AM
I recently downloaded a texting ap to my phone called text plus. I'm not really impressed with it, though, because it doesn't alert me to when a text has come. You do get your own phone number and 10 minutes of free calling time, then you can purchase more phone time if you want. I keep getting notices for a missed call through that ap, though, even though I know only one person has the number who would call it, and he hasn't.

Does anyone know of other texting aps that are similar, but do alert you when a new text comes through?
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 7:50:28 AM
Textfree can be used from an app on a smartphone, or from the website at Pinger dot com. Unlimited texts are free, and you do get a number as Bebe mentioned.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 8:14:07 AM
Here is the perfect solution. ALL online daters should try this.

Go sign up for "Google Voice". Its free. They give you a free local phone number to give out. Calls to that number can be forwarded blind to your cell, landline or BOTH so you never have to give out your real numbers. You can text from it on your computer free. I do it all day long to a gal in Canada when she is working.

If someone starts abusing the number you can have it CHANGED to a new number for FREE also.

There is now never any excuse to not be able to talk on the phone before meeting someone! Your actual cell or home phone number is always hidden. You can use it to call or text. Heck you can even set it up to try and translate texts into a voice message!!!

Cowboy
 ShellyFish1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 8:22:30 AM
Can't you get a separate pay-as-you go sim and give that number out? Just stick it into some old brick size phone you have from the past.
 Asarat11
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/12/2012 8:23:46 AM
Yahoo Messenger works like a text as well, comes through the cell as a text.
 LaughingHeart12
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/12/2012 8:49:34 AM
Thanks for all of the helpful responses. Google Voice seems to most closely fit what I'm looking for.

And jham, suspicion isn't the issue; caution is. I have indeed been stalked in the past and it's quite scary. If it were to happen to you just once, I'm sure you would understand.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:14:22 AM
Unless I'm missing something obvious, what's the point of texting via your cell? If security is a concern, and since it's still words on a screen just a different keyboard, why not continue to message on here until you are ready to provide a telephone number? Moving to phone text is not progress, you aren't ready to hand out information, what's the difference between this medium and text in those circumstances? What am I missing here?
 CawkBlawker
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:50:20 AM

Unless I'm missing something obvious, what's the point of texting via your cell? If security is a concern, and since it's still words on a screen just a different keyboard, why not continue to message on here until you are ready to provide a telephone number? Moving to phone text is not progress, you aren't ready to hand out information, what's the difference between this medium and text in those circumstances? What am I missing here?

I've had this question too. I don't understand what's the difference. Although, I had one guy insist texting was better for him. He said he didn't want to keep logging onto pof to view the messages. Plus the chat on this site is flakey.

I'm not a big texter. I actually loathe it. I usually move to a messenger like yahoo which you can use to send out texts. I also don't want someone that I haven't physically met to become text happy with sending mindless "hi" messages to me.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:01:05 AM
If calling another person via voice call using a cell phone gives them access to your phone number, texting via a service that assigns an alternate number is an option. I agree Google voice is a very good option for receiving voice calls. I have not used that service for texting, so will not comment on that function. Using a pre-paid cell is a good option if you are happy with the functionality of the texting application, or wish to talk to someone. iPhones and other smartphones can use texting apps when wi-fi is available without having a service contract with AT & T or another carrier. Skype and other VOIP services can also be used in this manner.
 LaughingHeart12
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:42:08 AM

Unless I'm missing something obvious, what's the point of texting via your cell? If security is a concern, and since it's still words on a screen just a different keyboard, why not continue to message on here until you are ready to provide a telephone number?

I connected with this guy online, but not through this site, so messaging here is not an option. We are planning to meet this evening. He gave me his phone number and said I could text him, but again, I don't want my phone number known until after we meet. I know I read something on these forums once about a way to use the phone without revealing your number. Hence, I posted the question here. I hope that clears things up.

Again, thanks for all of your thoughtful responses.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/12/2012 11:56:03 AM
^^It does but you are missing my point....As you connected on-line, there must have been a means of communicating that provided. It would likely have utilized a keyboard. What progress is texting vs what you have been doing to date, especially as you don`t want him to have your contact information yet?

And here's a thought - why not state up front, I am not yet comfortable in providing that information to you and would prefer we continue communicating as is? He'll either oblige or not but I don't see the point of jumping through loops to accommodate your comfort level just to create the illusion of changing the dynamics.
 Pinky127
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/12/2012 6:49:12 PM
Op,cant you phone this guy from your landline phone ,instead of texting him and just block your number from your home phone?
Oops.................maybe you only have a mobile (cell) phone??
 carelesswhisper00
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:04:59 PM
This is good info to know.....even though I am not the OP with a question, I learned something new from the forums....thanks!
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/13/2012 5:55:55 AM

Go sign up for "Google Voice". Its free

Cowboy ... you states you could call out from your phone using google voice. How without it showing your own cell phone number? I'm guessing it's an app you load on your phone and use? Open the app and make the call?
 grove_22
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/13/2012 6:36:12 AM
I agree with the others. Either use Google Voice or buy a cheap prepaid cell phone and use just for internet dating if you are that concerned about this.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 6:45:52 AM

yet the dude is still here with the rest of us.
No its not an app you use on your phone. And no your cell or landline number is never exposed. It is a forwarding service basically.

Go to google voice and read what it does. You could of googled for it ya know (wink)

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Cowboy
 LaughingHeart12
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/13/2012 10:38:40 AM
I posted a simple question, and thanks to all who posted answers to that question. To the rest -- I'm glad to have provided you with some food for thought!
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 10:47:52 AM
JHam - I just find it utterly fascinating that the OP would venture to meet someone that she is afraid of giving her number to.....

I believe the OP explained this well in answer to your earlier post. She is entirely correct, IMO. As she explained, access to her phone number opens the door to online search results giving personal and confidential contact information. Presumably, that includes her home address. Any woman (or even man) who allows that information to be accessed by complete strangers is taking a chance. I personally know of one woman here on POF that was stalked because her date came to her house to pick her up and things went poorly. Caution is well-advised and the OP is completely justified in her desire to limit when her date(s) know her address or other information.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/13/2012 10:50:42 AM
jham ...

I think it's like being on POF. If you come here, you can get chat requests and choose to ignore them or sign out when you don't want to talk. On your personal cell line, you never get to "sign out" and whether you answer the phone or text or not, you still have people who have your personal number who can "bug" you, or downright stalk you. Personally, I don't want my phone being used much for social communications, as the main intent for my cell phone is work and communication with immediate family.

I don't know how to "block" someone from my cell phone, but that google app allows it. I wouldn't want people who I've dated or communicated with to have that much direct access to my personal life all of the time. If they called or texted as often as I got an email, that would be obtrusive as I would receive a few a day from the amount of online friends I've accumulated. That wouldn't go over so well if I were dating someone, either ... the questioning as to why I received 3 different texts from 3 different guys in one evening. If I'm at work 12 hours a day and MUST have my cell phone on I don't want to be checking it to see who called all of the time, I want to just be able to pick it up knowing it's work or family. I guess it's just a personal choice, but some people like some distance before inviting someone into their more personal inner circle as time goes on.

It can be used due to caution about stalkers, but "stalkers" aren't always with intent to harm ... they can just be unintentionally persistent or interfering. Everyone has their own personal level of how much electronic communication is acceptable. I personally am not actively dating, so it's not an issue for me, but if I were, I would use a different number to start also.

Cowboy: I did find an app for your phone, too. That was an awesome introduction page. Thanks.
 tuesdayruby123
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 12:51:14 PM

Lastly, 99.9999% of the men you meet aren't Rapist, Murderers, stalkers, predators......they just want to meet a nice lady and have a nice date and possibly get a little nookie......just like 99.9999% of the women here on earth....

Well, I take steps to make sure I don't run into that .0001%.

OP -- Get his # and dial *67 first to block your number. (I tell them I will be doing this, since many people don't answer anonymous calls)

I also like Cowboy's suggestion and will def check out Google Voice.
 LolaEasen
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/13/2012 3:54:31 PM
some guys on here are so pushy when it comes to texting. many of them send there number in the first message. i don't like so many guys having my number. i am not sure what to do either. thank you for this post.
 Maleman999
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2012 4:11:00 PM

some guys on here are so pushy when it comes to texting. many of them send there number in the first message. i don't like so many guys having my number.

How are all of these guys getting your number? Does your number magically appear out of thin air or are they finding it written in bathroom stalls in the mens bathrooms, saying "For a good time, call..."?
 Tek_Savvy
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/13/2012 4:17:38 PM
Prepaid phone is the best way to hide your info. No records period.
 Pinky127
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/13/2012 6:15:47 PM

How are all of these guys getting your number?

Re #26............They're not.
But,i think what she's saying is that guys are emailing her their number in their first email to her and are hoping she'll do likewise.
And,Op i dont blame you one lil bit - i think you're being cautious in safeguarding yourself against total strangers having too much information about you.

And i dont understand certain people who dont "get" this?
*shrug*
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Texting without revealing phone number