Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is style really that important?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kefka7
Msg: 1
Is style really that important?Page 1 of 1    
I mean, as long as you're doing well in your career, and your clothes are neat & "fresh," why is the way your dress so critical?
Physical attraction is a different story, but criticizing your style, as long as it's nothing extreme, seems to me like such a trivial, and pointless thing -- so much so that I'd put it in line with "criticism" of music taste, movies etc..

Well my main question is, how important is the way a guy dresses to you?
 m_a_y_a
Msg: 2
Is style really that important?
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:33:36 PM
to me style and dress are two different things. style has little to do with what you wear but rather 'how' you wear it.

to answer your OP, it doesn't matter. if someone used this as an excuse then, what can i say but to move on.

:)
 CheezyChick
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:39:17 PM
I am not from the school of 'follow the leader'. I more likely to notice a man who makes his own style over one that follows the leader or is 'trendy'.
For me being 'in style' isn't as important as being confident in your own style.
That goes for dress, career choices, music, movies, laundry detergent choice and basically everything.

ps...fyi...'extreme' isn't such a bad thing either. ;)
 CawkBlawker
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:44:05 PM
It's very important to me. If a guy's idea of dress shoes is a pair of sneakers, we won't be compatible. If he thinks a wife beater is a dress shirt, we won't be compatible. If he wears Ed Hardy, we will not be compatible. If he wears his pants and his azz his hanging out the back of them like he's in prison signaling for another guy to fvck him, them we will not be compatible.
 Kefka7
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:53:28 PM
Well by extreme I mean stuff like hanging boxers, or some form of inappropriate cleavage, whatever that means. "Extreme" varies from person to person, so it doesn't clarify much. But I essentially agree with you.
 siestabeachlover
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/8/2013 6:08:29 PM
Your style of dressing will attract people simular to you. So what is the problem?
 Kefka7
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/8/2013 6:15:21 PM
That's THE problem. Why does style limit you to one specific "group?" I just don't see how being superficial in this regard makes any sense.
 m_a_y_a
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/8/2013 6:37:48 PM
most people look for commonality, be it musical, film, or in this case, dress.

it's understandable if you think about it, OP :)

it shouldn't limit you however but, if you at least understand 'why' you will know how to counteract it. you may not always be successful all of the time but you may succeed in causing at least 'some' with entrenched ideas to 'rethink'
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/9/2013 5:12:53 AM
how important is the way a guy dresses to you?

it's not important until it's important. people tend to not pay too much attention to "style" unless they see something that looks ridiculous.

guys who wear football jerseys as a fashion statement. say no more. i already know we're not a match.

shall i make a list:
- biker
- bad boy
- redneck

at the other extreme:
- guys who make sure you see that Mont Blanc in their pocket
 HottNSC209
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2013 5:34:12 AM
OP, I get what your saying and to some extent I agree with you. However, style is tied into who someone is attracted to. For instance, a girl might like "the country look" on a guy, but if you dressed him "preppy", she might not dig it, so that then makes him less appealing to her. You see what I mean? And, believe me, you do this too. You're just not aware of it. I'm sure there's a style LESS attractive to you, but you could then take that same girl out of that style, and put her into something you are MORE attracted to, and you might view her differently.
 Kiki_Buttons
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/9/2013 5:48:18 AM
Usually the way a man dresses is an indicator into what type of lifestyle he leads which IMO is important. I could never see myself with a guy who wore suits to work and slacks and a button down dress shirt in everyday life because he most likely wouldn't be into the same things as me . Where a guy who gets dirty for work and wears jeans and a tshirt outside of work is my kind of guy. He would be more likely to do the things I do.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2013 5:57:38 AM
You are young. Some things take time. Odds are you wont always believe hoodies and wife beater shirts are "you".

For now just try and find a gal that thinks thats hot. I would wager that the first time you have a knockout gal that views you as more of a friend but whispers about how hot guys are that dress up a bit you will suddenly change into a new "style".

Your ability (or lack there of) to attract classy attractive women will influence how you dress. You DONT have to live in suits. There is a HUGE gap between suits and hoodies and wife beater shirts.

I have worked in suits for a good portion of my adult life. Its expected do to my profession. Once I get home I pretty much live in jeans and cowboy boots. Dressing up is throwing a sport coat on with the jeans and boots.

Your "style" needs to reflect who you are. And trust me when I say that "who you are today" is not where you will probably be in 5 or 10 years.

Good Luck

Cowboy
 bibliophile1
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/9/2013 6:52:11 AM
As long as they dress their age and can rock a suit when the occasion calls for it. Dress how you want. Honestly. :)

I don't care how a guy dresses. It is far down my list of priorities, as long as he doesn't dress like a slob.

Some people want dates to dress a certain way because they identify with that image - like hipsters for example. Myself, I don't care as long as he'll accept my styling tips from time to time.
 LadyMase
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/10/2013 12:45:03 PM
You can tell a lot by how a person dresses, and it's programmed into us to be judgmental (no matter how hard you try not to be, you still are). You can generally tell a persons income level and their interests by what they wear. I can tell you I used to wear dresses and heels all the time and never get hit on. Now, I wear more jeans, and flats because of an accident I just got in, and a new leather coat, and people talk to me all the time now. I guess I'm more approachable? Like your profile pic... if I saw you, I'd make the snap judgement that you're probably early twenties, like to maybe skateboard, like alternative/punk/emo or metal type music... might be down to puff puff pass... probably really cool and fun and wild. Now, dress you up in a polo shirt, no hat, spiked gelled hair, and I'd think something totally different. You can be anyone you want to be online, *especially* online since no one really knows you. It's all about perception.

I like a guy with style too as an above poster said. :)
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 1:15:59 PM
I'm the kind of girl who wears combat boots under a ball gown.
Do your own thing.
 RyanohRyan
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:06:56 PM
Your clothes project an image.

People are attracted to different things.

You wouldn't wear a Hello Kitty backpack would you? If style doesn't matter, then go wear one.
 ahoy_from_canada
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:26:31 PM
I don't want to sound like a****OP, but you dress like you're about 15, and still in middle school. The skater/Justin Bieber look, isn't (I'm guessing) what most girls nearing their mid 20's, are looking for anymore. Opt for some more timeless, and classic menswear pieces. A graphic t-shirt and jeans, is fine for a movie at home, or painting. However, if you're going to go out, invest in something decent. Here's a website I am a big fan of. The guys who produce it are either the same age as you and myself, or a tad bit older: http://tsbmen.com/

Good luck.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:27:25 PM
To some.
Not many people have "style".

They grab a polo and khakis or for some the get the matchable things the stores tell you to buy.
GARANAMALS for adults.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll wear a dress to get a hot dog, some guys have issues with it.
It's called self esteem me thinks.

I wore what was expected of me many years for my job.

I will wear what I like now.
Military jacket with a velvet mini skirt and a fedora if i want to .
Love bike chains too as necklaces.

Wear what you like.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:30:41 PM
Well, obviously, there's a world of difference between what I find acceptable and what's acceptable to you kids. I don't ever expect a guy to show up in a suit for a coffee date, but he should be at least showered and wear clean clothes. That doesn't include crocs or overalls. I'd probably have to turn and run ;)
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:31:29 PM
clean neat and tidy, dress down for bbq's smart yourself up for dinners out. i think should be the rule.
people who spend a weeks wage on an out fit have too much money! lol
how about this then? dress how you would want to see someone take out your sister/brother.
the number one rule! dress your age not like the photos doing the rounds of wal mart shoppers.... omg!
 jjoenyc73
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/10/2013 2:53:12 PM
Really depends on who you are dating. I prefer women to just in "style" as compared to fashion. Style is always in style.
Women I tend to date ,including my wife only wore mini skirts and heels. But Eastern European women that is normal.
If I am going on a date I will wear a blazer and good pants or jeans. But I also might wear a suit(minus the tie) if going to a club or more stylish place. It all depends. I will tell you something. It is always better to be overdressed.It gives you more opportunities to mingle. Even in a place where people are dressing down you will stand out.In NYC its pretty hard to be overdressed though. I was out the other day, wearing a tailored Hugo Boss suit with pocket square and tie clip. I thought I was the MAN! lol, walk into a pub and guys were dress about the same. A few had fedora's. Some times being you can not win. Pocket squares is a whole different story. Dozens of ways to fold them.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is style really that important?