Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Where has Intimate encounter gone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sonofmosley1
Msg: 1
Where has Intimate encounter gone?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I've just noticed intimate encounter has been removed from the search options. How come?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
Where has Intimate encounter gone?
Posted: 2/21/2013 10:54:35 AM
Hmmm. After reading your post, I too went and looked at the options within the Advanced Search and I agree, that it's not under the Intent and it doesn't seem to have been moved into any of the other fields where logically it might fit.

Not sure if it's an oversight and if a table has needed to be restored and this has been overlooked if the input of options was needed but if it's intentional, I can see a whole whack of uproar on the forums.

Maybe there will be a completely separate index for IE's to eliminate all those 'accidental' contacts which seem to happen so those here for IE and kept completely separate (i.e. not shown under New Users or anywhere else they might appear). Maybe they are removing the IE category altogether. All speculation and as we never get informed in advance of any changes, I guess we have to wait and see.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 11:29:03 AM
It is interesting that you can still choose IE on your profile, but you can't search for it (it's gone from Basic searches, too, so it seems especially odd they would have screwed up on the same thing in two different places like that). The implications of leaving the situation like this (which, knowing this site, they will, for weeks or months or years) is that IEs can never be intentionally searched for OR intentionally excluded, unless the system is secretly auto-excluding them from all searches. If it's the former, then this would be unfair both to those in the IE category, and to the non-IE's who don't pay close attention to the intent section on their search results (which was already a problem when you could intentionally exclude them apparently) -- if it's the latter, then it's more unfair to those with IE, since they can never be searched for, but at least the rest of us won't be able to unintentionally (or even really INTENTIONALLY) message them.

It's kind of a mess to leave things like this (which, again, would be nothing new with this site). Either make them equal with everyone else, or get rid of the category entirely and FORCE those currently with that category to change to something else... which is where they screwed up with "Other Relationship" when they finally decided to get rid of it, but chose to grandfather in anyone that had already chosen "Other Relationship," so they could never be found in searches. "Other Relationship" was obviously a lot more misleading than IE and needed to be removed because it turned into nothing more than a trap. I have no strong opinion one way or another about getting rid of or keeping IE (unlike the moral police who are soon to show up here), but for God's sake, don't half-azz whatever it is that you do!
 Accidental62Tourist
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/21/2013 12:46:43 PM
Who can we write to to find out what is going on before I flee to !!!
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/21/2013 2:03:45 PM
^^^ You can try and contact POF at csr@pof.com. Don't hold your breath for an answer though. They don't normally announce any changes to functionality and they very rarely explain it once it does happen.
 3ffervescent
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 2:11:18 PM
It is odd... I just checked "Newest Users" and they are still letting people join with IE as their intent,
but to not be able to search for them, or show up in regular searches...
Hmmmmmm

Does this mean that the IE folk will switch to the regular dating side of the site now?
 privat33r
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 2:34:14 PM
IE is just a way to meet scammers. The site just isn't setup for it. Having it around has been encouraging a jungle-rama of dudes to create multiple profiles so they can beg for cake and bake it too.

And.. really-- if they're not looking for an intimate encounter- what the hell are they doing contacting you on a dating site anyhow?
 3ffervescent
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 2:57:47 PM
I am with you that adult relationships include sex...
But,
They have no option for people that are looking for casual hook-ups now --
and those that are IE, will be blocked by the filter that most women have on their profiles...

Are they stuck in IE purgatory now?
 MrEntertain
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/21/2013 2:58:23 PM
I don't see IE as a jungle of scammers. I've chatted with people and met one. So, that scammer excuse is thin. It would be nice to get an answer for this. Not being able to search for IE is limiting.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 3:15:48 PM
Look for searchtype= in the URL of a Basic or Advanced Search. Set it to searchtype=9 for Intimate Encounter and launch the address. Bookmark the search URL for easy access.
 just_want_to_play
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/21/2013 6:48:14 PM
This sucks! what else are they going to take away!
 And_For_Now
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/21/2013 7:25:48 PM
An addition to that. It appears that whatever the search criteria were for your last basic search, this is remembered by your cookie. I'd tried what you said - which worked - then later on, after having logged out and come back, clicked search and it went right to an intimate encounter search.
 And_For_Now
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/21/2013 8:14:18 PM

Notice the vast majority of profiles (of those around here at least) block messages from those seeking them, so it's possible it's become a really unpopular thing that so few use they got rid of it.

It may be unpopular with a whole lot of people - and it might not be overly popularly used. But it is used. There are still people using it, and in my area (which is rather small), there is someone new probably every week or two. I'm sure in cities that number is quite a bit higher. That doesn't seem to be a situation that justifies ditching it altogether. This is an adult site. And it isn't ChristiansMingle.com. Considering the option was available the ever since my first encounter with this site way back in 2005, it seems to me to be little more than censorship.
 need4peace
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 2:07:45 AM
I figure its because if you do search for IE, it virtually renders your profile useless with 90% of women on the site, since they will add that to their mail preferences. So that forces a user to create another profile and have a double identity.... not that there's anything wrong with that?? ;) So now the site will allow men to contact women who have that mail preference and POF can claim " he's never searched for IE"...meet him!!
 lightstar1
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/22/2013 2:18:00 AM
Ooo I'd missed this one....
All those working girls from Manchester with fake profiles and even faker pics gone at last?
It really was time POF threw that junk out.
If you want to waste time and money on wank fodder there are zillions of other places to be.............
Personally I hope we've seen the last of it.

vestaceres
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/22/2013 2:31:34 AM
I figure its because if you do search for IE, it virtually renders your profile useless with 90% of women on the site, since they will add that to their mail preferences.

This isn't the case. A user has to do more than just search for an I.E. profile; they would have to have messaged four or more unique I.E. users to trigger the filter. Although the filter is unforgiving to purveyors of casual and risky encounters, you have several chances to mend your ways (not that it's likely) before the bear claw of responsibility stops your pecker. (Even contacting one with this intent is quite bad, IMHO.)

So that forces a user to create another profile and have a double identity.... not that there's anything wrong with that?? ;)

Yes - there is everything wrong with this. It's forbidden to create duplicate identities, and even more so (but with the same penalty of profile deletion, as I understand it) for attempting to circumvent the filters, by doing it . Your suggestion of it could get your posting privileges revoked, as well.

So now the site will allow men to contact women who have that mail preference and POF can claim " he's never searched for IE"...meet him!!

You're traveling perilously into the realm of being deemed something quite impolite. Why should any woman be subjected to attention of men who sought women on this site for casual, NSA, sex? If you are accorded the same rights to filter people, either through the automation of this site or by manual selection, you don't like, why are we not allowed the same?

You also haven't a clue as to what happened to the IE options or whether or not this will impact the filters.

I find your blatant disrespect for the wishes of others quite disturbing.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/22/2013 3:19:55 AM
Notice the vast majority of profiles (of those around here at least) block messages from those seeking them, so it's possible it's become a really unpopular thing that so few use they got rid of it.

Surely, if the vast majority of profile block contact from IE's, the filter is very popular. The only complaints I've ever seen about this filter as from people who have been blocked, I've never seen a complaint from those who use the mail restriction.

The implication of that is that the ability to filter out IE's is popular and those using the filter are happy with it.

So getting rid of it makes no sense.

At this moment (and yes, I do understand that it may change), it is still possible to set up an account with the intent of seeking IE's, it is still possible to filter out those with this intent and also those who state a different intent yet routinely contact IE's in terms of receiving messages from them.

It's just the ability to search specifically for the IE's which has been removed. Admittedly, to me, it makes no sense to jumble them all in with everyone else as those who do search for and contact this group of users will now have the task of sorting through everyone, unless they see the work around provided earlier in this thread.

Of course, the flip side of that is that IE's will have to be included in the general searches and therefore for those who don't read a profile properly, or who are new and don't understand fully the functionality, might well get caught by the filters innocently. I have seen many users state that sometimes the details within an IE profile don't reflect the category and so, I do wonder, if true, how many really did miss that intent on a profile. Historically, it was claimed that IE's were excluded from general searches and although that's reflective of my experience here, I understand that they are included in the New Users. If included throughout this site, I can see that some might trigger this filter unintentionally, which depending on the volume of users who do so, will result in the constant deletion of accounts and regeneration of clean slates, and maybe make this filter less effective. It does seems a shame if this filters effectiveness is reduced, as it's the only one which doesn't rely on users being honest (with themselves and others) about what they seek but instead is action driven.

I figure its because if you do search for IE, it virtually renders your profile useless with 90% of women on the site, since they will add that to their mail preferences. So that forces a user to create another profile and have a double identity.... not that there's anything wrong with that?? ;) So now the site will allow men to contact women who have that mail preference and POF can claim " he's never searched for IE"...meet him!!

That's completely illogical logic! IF the site was acting for these reasons, the simple solution would be to remove the filter that stops these people from making contact.

I find your blatant disrespect for the wishes of others quite disturbing.

+1. However, I am grateful that he showed himself for the person he is on international forums, especially with the loophole in functionality which allows blocking prior to messaging. That now allows all the women in his area to block his account without having a message from him. I do wonder if his is posted from his IE account or his normal one, but I am sure, a Mod reading this, will be able to check and find both of his profiles and act accordingly.

evo_57
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:53:43 AM
Once again the admins at PoF are playing Big Brother and changing things without notice or consultation with the members without who this site would be pointless. Ok, the IE option is not for everyone but then again not everyone on here is wanting a relationship or looking to get married. One of the great things about the site was the ability for members to search for others seeking the same as them but now this has been limited and for what reason? For goodness sake PoF, stop messing with the site and forcing your own moral standpoints on everyone else.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:02:42 AM

This doesn't even make sense. How can the restriction be both on "the vast majority of profiles" and also something that "so few" use?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:45:18 AM
So, just to clarify, I did both Basic Searches with "Anything" selected and Advanced Searches with "I don't care" selected, and a few intimate encounters did pop up in both cases. Therefore, they are not being secretly excluded from general searches and you will definitely have to pay much closer attention to profiles' "For" listing before messaging now.

I'm not sure if you can get around this in Advanced Search by choosing everything except "I don't care" but I would think that should work -- no IEs showed up when I experimented with that, but then again, only one showed up every umpteen profiles to begin with when I selected "I don't care" (unless I only searched for "Married" profiles, because almost everyone one of those is IE), and I don't have all day to check every single profile that comes up in my searches.

So I'm not quite sure what is up POF's sleeve with this move (feels like another one of their "experiments"), but IE is definitely a bigger trap than it was before (making it the most dangerous "experiment" they have ever performed). Really, this is no good for anyone -- people who want IEs, people who don't want IEs, people trying to avoid IEs, people who don't care about IEs. Again, if this change was purposeful and with long-term intent, it was a pretty half-baked idea. Either keep things the way they were, or get rid of the IE category altogether (without grandfathering anyone in).

Quite frankly, if they were going to drop a category, it should have been the perfectly worthless "hang out." Heck, I see no purpose in more than two categories to begin with: dating and friends (despite the fact that I consider it a ridiculous for a dating site to have a "friends" category but obviously that's what 90% of the forumites are here for -- actually, most seem to be here to make enemies and form clans, but that's besides the point). "Long term" is just what happens after you date for a while, and to separate the two of them just leads to confusion and unintentional exclusions from searches and matches.
 letmelogon
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/22/2013 8:40:28 AM

sent POF an error/bug report

in the "for" section of the "basic search" the "Intimate encounter" option has gone it has also gone from the "search type" section of the "advanced search"

if i get a reply i will post it here.
but feel free to ask them yourself as well, the more of us who ask the more effort they are like to put in to doing something
 letmelogon
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:29:56 AM
there are some people that just dont know how to use the settings as this person looking for intimate encounters has put a block on people that have messaged users looking for intimate encounters so unless you find their profile before anyone esle's you cant contact them

To send a message to Imogin you MUST meet the following criteria:
Must not have messaged users looking for intimate encounters or sex.
Must not be looking for Hang Out
Must not be looking for Talk/E-mail
Must not be looking for Long-term
Must not be looking for Other Relationship
Must not be looking for Dating
Must not be looking for Friendship
Must not be looking for Activity Partner
Must not do drugs
Must not be married
Must not smoke
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/22/2013 9:36:56 AM

there are some people that just dont know how to use the settings as this person looking for intimate encounters has put a block on people that have messaged users looking for intimate encounters so unless you find their profile before anyone esle's you cant contact them...

Maybe that is the way they want it.

As they want to be the person that does the contacting and do not want to get carpet bombed with emails from horny guys.
 letmelogon
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:47:42 AM
this is the reply i got back when i said i could not access the feature

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to email POF.com.
We are constantly updating the site to better serve our users. Due to recent site changes, this feature may no longer be available.
Happy Fishing!

Regards,
Natasha
POF Team
POF.com

may no longer be available, not really what i would call help, now if they said they were fixing it that would be help and if they said they were scraping it i could ask them not to
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/22/2013 11:58:30 AM
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to email POF.com.
We are constantly updating the site to better serve our users. Due to recent site changes, this feature may no longer be available.
Happy Fishing!

Regards,
Natasha
POF Team

I've seen this posted before when another issue came up in the past. Maybe it was in regards to the hidden profiles, I can't quite recall. It seems to be a template, general reply which answers nothing. Oh well, at least yours was answered, sort of.

EDIT - Yes, found it. Standard likely auto-generated reply. It was previously received regarding the short period of time in which they removed the on-line contacts from the My Conversations Bar.

See it here http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15631806.aspx
Msg 11. Same reply, from the same person.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Where has Intimate encounter gone?