Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does POF work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 danL8589
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does POF work?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am new to the area and definitely new to the online dating scene. I was wondering if this really works. Looking for testimonials from people who have done online dating. For instance if someone meets you, do they often turn out to be different than on this site??
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:24:51 AM
I'm only here for the forums. However, based on what I read in these forums; people's experiences are varied as the profiles on Plenty Of Fish itself.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 3
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:28:11 AM
Fishing is actually a pretty good analogy.. some people will catch their limit while others will never get so much as a nibble.
 gogogo66
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:37:36 AM
well you won't know till you show!
It works in a way you want it to work
meet many,good for social interaction,may take a while to find a compatible partner,but it's fun trying.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 5
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:45:28 AM
It may not always turn out, but I can say that the ladies I've met over time were nice and well-mannered. Some pics are old or flattering, but for the most part right on. Some you never meet because you figure out that you are 'off' on a few things. Some don't reply at all.

My advice? Remain positive and polite. Always read the profiles - they have words in it for a reason...
 FletisHumplebacker
Msg: 6
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:48:01 AM
It will probably take more than 45 minutes to work.
 ryuoki
Msg: 7
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:05:50 AM
Probably? Unless you are on the upper end of the 1-10 scale on looks it might take more like 45 days to get a single response. I would say expect 75-95% of any responses men send out to be ignored and not replied to in the least. Women may get views but no messages, so my advice is start casting yourself and not waiting for someone to find you. PoF can work. It can work really well potentially for these on the upper end with GREAT pictures and looks. For the rest of us well..... we are fishing with empty hooks. Just have to find a fish desperate enough to bite at anything shiny whether it has a tasty smell or not.
 RockabillyPaGirl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:23:40 AM
Yes Pof does work.. I am proof. I am average in looks. But I have been with my boyfriend for 10 months and we met right on here.

My advice is have a good profile. Be yourself. Be realistic on your league, don't fall for too good to be true or a fantasy. And realize it may take a while. In my case it took over 7 months and I had to wade through some toads Mr not right for me to find him.
 grove_22
Msg: 9
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:50:42 AM
IMO most of time it doesn't. Even people that eventually found a significant other from POF might have had many unsuccessful dates / meetings. Or relatively few positive replies from their initial emails.
 TrishaF2011
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:56:31 AM

does POF work.
that's my second favorite question, right after,"have you had any luck on this site?"
both are stupid questions.
POF is a website and it "works" only as good as those using it. Its a database of people who are generally after the same thing; dating and meeting others.
"have you had any luck on this site?"
what in the world does that mean? why would anyone ask that question? what information are you really trying to get? IF the point of contacting someone is to find out about them, why would you even consider this as a question to help you do that?
 tnt144
Msg: 11
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 9:38:53 AM
There are people who could be a match for you in any town. This also applies to social / dating sites such as POF.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 12
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 9:44:51 AM
It can work for women, not to sure about working for men though. I just feel women have way to many choices, therefore can afford to be ultra picky. The bottom line is, men get far fewer messages, far fewer messages returned. you can be a good looking well built man, but still get no messages or very few ever returned. It can get frustrating.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 10:06:36 AM
Does POF work? Well, it seems to work for the site operator, he got rich. It must work for the advertisers who are the site's paying customers, or they wouldn't use it.

It might or might not 'work' for you, depending on your expectations.
 bluebeach415
Msg: 14
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 1:27:22 PM
If you look like Brad Pitt it will work for sure.
 4ms4me
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 2:06:34 PM
OP, I used online dating for about three years, and most of the people I met were more or less as described. I had one six-month relationship, and then met my current sweetie and we've been dating for four years. I think we fall into the LIT (Living Together Separately) category I saw recently.

Many of my friends have found their long-term partners online, so yes - I'd say it "works". I'd also say that attitude and expectations have a lot to do with it - being positive and not focusing on the disappointments will help you a lot.
 RB_64
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 3:10:37 PM
Online dating works for those who are persistent, know who they are as individuals, and are able to articulate what they are seeking. One must deal with rejection well and understand just as in real life not all relationships are meant to be.

Happy fishing! Perhaps you will land a keeper.....life is sweet when you do.
 msright78
Msg: 17
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:02:43 PM
Whenever u meet someone from online it's always going to be different.

The pictures don't say it all.

I met a guy online last year and really, the lighting on the picture made him seem 'light skinned' but when i met him in person he was 'dark skinned'. So yeah it didn't matter much to me, but small things like that u have to take into consideration.

Also sometimes don't show all the 'weight' a person has until u meet them in person.

My pictures don't show me at all being on the big size but then other cameras shows it. I remember my ex bf's camera showed me bigger and then with my cellphone or other camera it didn't.

His was a professional camera but wow, it made such a huge difference.
 SimpleCltMan
Msg: 18
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:07:21 PM
Depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are looking for someone to be friends with that you can build something off of.. Yes, it does work. I have 5 married friends from here maybe six by the end of the year. However, you have to take this place with a grain of salt. Not everyone here is honest and straightforward. You will get rejected, cursed at, and ignored. However, just take it in stride and continue on looking for someone to build something good off it. It can happen.
 xoMSAMANDAxo
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:30:02 PM
ATTITUDE ATTITUDE ATTITUDE
A NUMBERS GAME SORT OF...THE MORE YOU MEET THE HIGHER THE CHANCE OF MEETING MR/MS RIGHT
JUST AN ADDED WAY TO SEEK AND SIFT
PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE...HERE OR OUT THERE
JUST BE NICE...HAVE FUN...BE SAFE NOT STUPID
IVE MET LOADS OF NICE MEN....SOME BECAME FRIENDS....MOST I JUST MET AND WE CARRIED ON OUR SEARCH
ONE DEVEOPED INTO A LOVING RELATIONSHIP
HEY YOU WONT MEET PRICE CHARMING BY SITTING ON YOUR COUCH...GET OUT THERE
 LG2727
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:32:16 PM
If you are buying that crap about finding your soulmate, dont even bother wasting your time on here or any other dating site, unless you like searching through thousands of profiles and even if you do find one or two, they are nothing like they claimed. That has been my experience and most dont even last a month on here, they give up and go back to hibernating at home alone. You need a thick skin and not take this to seriously, well, men dont anyway but, even so, expect nothing but to maybe make an aquaintance or 2 that isnt crazy or horrible, thats the most you can hope for.
 sigungq
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 8:54:13 PM
OP, I've been on dating sites since the late 1990s. I have yet to get a date. I think most dating sites (especially the ones that you have to pay for) are fakes for he most part. They create thousands of fake profiles using photo models to lure in unsuspecting people (both genders), to part with their money. As for the free ones like POF, most of the people (it seems) can not be taken seriously. They are here just to tease or play, or gossip and flame, but not for dating or anything remotely like that. POF works great, if you just like coming to the forums and participating in the discussions, but for dating, you need to go out into the rel world to find real people who are really single AND available, and who are ACTUALLY looking to date.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 9:19:10 PM
OP, It definitely does work........

I've had several STRs and 2 LTRs. First LTR was a year and a half. Second one is going on 4 years now (very happy too!!).

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Use this place to supplement dating IRL - don't set unreachable expectations and expect women to fall at your feet here. Work on things that will make you more marketable. You'll see success both here and IRL if you set some realistic expectations of yourself and what you want in a mate.
 OutMind
Msg: 23
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 10:07:18 PM
Does it work?

Actually I used this site only for the forums, then out of the blue, I emailed this one lady. ONe. She responded, then put me off because of some stressful business trip. So I moved on, then she contacted me, and we eventually went out. The point is this. Out of sending emails, getting conversations, dates, what not. One to one.

Is that because it's POF, nope. It happens. Here or another sites. Do the work. It will pay off.
 aussiesealady
Msg: 24
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/19/2013 11:07:36 PM
I have met quite a few men from here and other dating sites over the years.

1 x 18 month living together.
We would never have met through real life as we mix in different circles.

Have just started to see a lovely man.
Date 3 next.
Same thing would never have met in real life.

With luck many more dates to come.
 romesbitten
Msg: 25
Does POF work?
Posted: 3/20/2013 10:01:11 AM
and it entirely depends on the bait that you use. good bait means a well constructed profile with good photos and good online communication skills.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does POF work?