Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > basic search      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 1
view profile
History
basic searchPage 1 of 1    
Up till a few days ago the basic search didn't show single mothers. All of a sudden single mothers started to show up. How can I set up the Basic search not to show single mothers again??

Thanks
 seekin_luv
Msg: 2
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/15/2013 12:52:17 PM
Did you make any changes under your profile?

Click on Edit Profile
http://www.pof.com/editprofile.aspx

About 2/3 the way down on the right, you'll see a question:
"Would you date someone who has kids? Y/N"

By answering No to that question, at least some of the searches such as Meet Me only display profiles without kids.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 3
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/16/2013 2:35:22 PM
I just looked and where it asks if I would date someone with kids it says NO. But for some reason I still get women with kids. Which happened all of a sudden about a week or so ago. Updated my profile to make sure and I still get the kids.
 seekin_luv
Msg: 4
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/16/2013 3:01:32 PM
That is BIZARRE

Try putting your zip code into the search criteria.
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 5
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/16/2013 6:27:33 PM
I believe somewhere it says that that question doesn't apply if you are older than 43. Or is that on a different dating website??....
 HawkingJr
Msg: 6
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/17/2013 11:27:02 AM
"I believe somewhere it says that that question doesn't apply if you are older than 43."

That did once appear, I believe, with the question itself. I can't find it on the main site anywhere anymore. Does not mean it isn't still true, but OP's situation is problematic because he's well beyond 43, yet he says this only started a few days ago -- sometimes these types of things happen to people when they have a birthday that puts them over a POF limit, but even if he did recently have a birthday, he should have already been over the previously stated 43-year-old limit long before that.

A few weeks ago, some guy in his 30s was also complaining that he was suddenly getting Matches from women with children despite having not changed his answer to that question from "No" to "Yes." It seems possible POF is either glitching on some people or moving the age limit around. But it's also possible in some cases (but almost certainly not Los Angeles resident OP's case) that geography is factoring in, because if there aren't enough Matches or search results with a person's geographic area, POF has been known to ignore the user's stated parameters in order to give him/her more results. But again, that doesn't explain the OP's situation because LA is about as big of a geographical area as you're going to get and should never have issues getting anyone results in Matches or Basic Search (advanced is different altogether -- you can easily shoot yourself in the foot there and end up with nothing, no matter where you live; and obviously, advanced will definitely allow you to get rid of women with children in your search, but I'm sure he's aware of that).

Nevertheless, perhaps the OP should experiment with expanding the geographic range (and maybe age range, too, and any other parameter that might be limiting) with Basic Search and see if that gets rid of women with children. If so, that means POF's female user base in LA must have shrunk to the point that it was causing defaulting issues, but I still find that highly unlikely for such a densely populated area.
 seekin_luv
Msg: 7
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/17/2013 11:34:44 AM
As mentioned above, I was able to simulate the problem with the "Basic Search" by simply putting in or taking out the zip code from the search criteria.

Perhaps there were other factors in the search criteria, but the zip code seemed like the key.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 8
view profile
History
basic search
Posted: 7/17/2013 10:29:17 PM
Thanks for helping but nothing seem to work. I'm not sure but it might started right after I had my birthday. Or a couple day after. Oh well I guess someone wants me to date single mothers lol ...
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > basic search