Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ho HO! Single at Christmas. How do you spend it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 1
Ho HO! Single at Christmas. How do you spend it?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
In a few weeks, Christmas will be upon us, and for some of us that means spending this holiday, again, alone. When you are alone, how do you get through those special times of year? I always find a poor family, buy all the trimmings I would have cooked, a gift for each person, knock on the door, put the box on the step, and run away. It makes me feel special on a lonely day of the year. How do you plan on spending your Christmas this year?
 Jay_baby_girl
Msg: 2
Ho HO! Single at Christmas. How do you spend it?
Posted: 11/16/2004 2:19:22 PM
i plan on carol singing, and then giving people headache tablets as a gift.
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/16/2004 2:20:39 PM
LOL I used to sing well, now someone needs to hold a bag over my head so it sounds human LMAO
 Jay_baby_girl
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/16/2004 2:46:41 PM
Bubs, if you sound as bad as me i will eat my hat, my sock, my glove and my bra.
 w8in4u
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/16/2004 2:58:23 PM
The season is already starting for me, and I don't know what to do with it. Christmas was always such a big deal, the decorations, the music, the tree, the lights on the house, family, big meals, shopping, being awoken up by the kids or waking them, watching the hours of wraping be undone in minutes, scattered brilliant colored paper tossed throughout the house, breakfast and playing all day just being close - this year I won't have that. As it stands I just don't want to get out of bed. But I will gather myself up, put on a smile and be grateful that maybe next year will be different.

As far as this Christmas, I'd like to go to a soup kitchen and volunteer some time.
 kilkenney
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/16/2004 3:20:14 PM
i just put my mom in a nursing home 2 months ago she was with me last year so i guess this one will be lonely, as my kids live far away, i think i will try to find a older person who is alone and try to brighten up there x-mas
 Otisflave1941
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/16/2004 3:29:07 PM
Bad times? Ya know, holidays can be the pits! I know that all too well myself. This year will be a little different. Wife and two girls will be in Ohio with my wife's big family. I never did well at family affairs as I grew up an only son in the Gulf plains of Texas. Ya learn to be alone a lot. It tends to color your life and make you a loner. So I became that, and wonder to this day if I did my wife any favor by falling in love, and marriage. The years have been rough, and this Christmas, I will stay here. I rarely leave Texas,,one of those rare breed loner Gringos, ya know? I have to have a tough hide to endure, and at my age seem to be healthier than the rest of what little is left on my family side. I have walked the halls of death, and the dying, learned all about depression and anger, naturally have gotten loaded with a ton of burdens in my Christmas sack that would kill Santa comin down the chimney. So life is hell for all of us, and the longer ya live, the more hell ya see. So you just take your pills to keep from killing somebody, and move on. Yes, I have a lot of stories. Not exactly the fireside cozy chat kind, but I do have a heart believe it or not. It may be made of stone, but has lots of cracks. I'll have a couple of weeks to keep up my part time work, and be alone at home with my dog. So the computer, some movies, and DVD music will be my quiet time this year. I like it, and sometimes think too much. That leads to some melancholy. But I'll shut up. This is the way it is. Get used to it if you are my type. Otherwise, enjoy family activities.
 gatorgrip
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/16/2004 3:31:27 PM
this'll be my first christmas alone, that i can ever remember. i'm gonna ask my kids to spend the day with their mom, and i'm gonna sit and reflect all day - it's about time i spent time contemplating the true meaning of christmas anyway. no tree, no decorations, not even "the santa claus II" !
 Ruby_
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/16/2004 4:11:37 PM
Last year no tree or decorations.... but we went to my Mothers and had a wonderful family Christmas.
God willing I hope I have my Mothers to go to again. Each year I love her more, if that is possible. She is 80. My sons and I do the cooking and the cleaning up of course.
 Danien
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/16/2004 4:16:38 PM
Well I'll probably be heading to my grandparents place where most of my famliy will be, and probably pick on everyone thats younger then me since i don't get to see them often. (Thats how i show affection)
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/16/2004 4:22:36 PM
For the past five years I've spent Christmas alone. For the first three I never even put up a tree or listened to carols. I just found it too depressing. Dad died in 2000, and Mom has alzheimers and lives in B.C. What friends I have, who are dear to me, have their own family things to attend. Last year I put up a tree, listened to carols and delivered a hamper, turkey and all the trimmings to a local poor family. Seeing they never knew who left them Christmas that made my holidays. Think I'll do the same this year. I don't buy presents anymore as no one is around to give them to. Oh well, it's not that bad now. I've begun to enjoy the season alone. I think doing something special for yourself on Christmas Day is the trick to surviving it. Last year I gave myself a full spa treatment that lasted all day, felt like a million bucks when I was done, and enjoyed a glass of wine before turning in. I heard from a friend in Toronto today who is thinking about coming up for Christmas this year. He's a wonderful, dear, old friend. Hopefully it will happen as I haven't seen him in nearly a year.

I think the best thing lonely people can do at christmas is to either make a poor persons Christmas special or to invite an elderly, lonely person over for a special supper.
 SenileGranny
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2004 5:37:05 PM
I've spent more than 1/2 of my adult life as a single mom. I'm very lucky to have a large extended family to spend Christmas with. Although, we usually take a poll and whichever day that most of us have off becomes our Christmas day, the 25th of December is for in laws and for children to spend with the other parent. This year popular opinion says Christmas will be either the 24th or the 28th for all of us, then the kids and I will spend the 25th between my ex mom in law's and a friend's house.
I am notorious for dragging 'strays' home to mom's for Christmas, all are welcomed by mom's, "Get in there and grab some food before the boys get to it, and if you want something you don't see, just holler, it's around here somewhere and if you don't eat it I'll get fat." There's always too much food and lots of laughter, but we don't get to watch the fights anymore since evil sis in law left, boy she could stir things up, lmao. These days we just wait to see who's the victim of my little brother's latest practical joke, or tell mom a dirty joke and laugh while dad tries to explain it to her.
#1 son seems to be following in my footsteps, this year he's bringing 2 guys from work who have no family close by, and one of his girlfriend's cousins who has no place to go for Christmas. We just seem happier when we have to break out the extra chairs, lol.
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/16/2004 5:45:15 PM
A few years back I bought my mother a Decosonic Bag Sealer. This little gadget could suck the air out and keep food air locked for the freezer or fridge. Mom unwrapped it Christmas morning, and then spent the day staring at it now and then. My girls were getting ready for bed, and mom was tucking my oldest in when she said, "I just don't get it! How does a bag of garbage get into that tiny thing!" It was about 12"x4". Dad and I laughed until we were sick. Now there is a Christmas I'm not likely to forget!
 Bbates024
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/16/2004 5:55:49 PM
Christamas sucks when your alone but not as bad as valintines day two months after. I've been blessed to usally have a girl friend at christmas or thanksgiving but have never dated anyone on valintines day. So for me thats the worst one ever.
 techtroid
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/16/2004 9:56:06 PM
like every other holiday i spent in the past 2 years, getting drunk alone in a park and trying not to think about it too much.
hopefully i wont have to work on the next day.
 txracer04
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/16/2004 9:57:42 PM
single at christmas is sometimes a good thing, so you dont have to worry about buying her some big expensive ring or anything like that...enjoy it man...
 yna6
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/17/2004 12:25:02 AM
I used to do things for folks...supply a tree and decorations I picked up at a discount place or something. Help feed the homeless for a day...whatever. Used to bug my mom a lot...decorate the tree with those scratch tickets....and let her go nuts on it. (50 tickets at 2 bucks a pop....woohoo...used to start collecting them in November to have the tree full!)
then, with the kids...big christmases. Last 2 years...a small tree up...not much else. Take folks into town to do their shopping if they couldn't get in by themselves type thing.
this year...totally nuts...I dunno what's gonna happen...supposed to go to Knobettes kids, and the exes place too...one on the 24th...other 25-26...this ought to fun! Woohoo! (warning...stay off the highways, I'm out there...LOL!)
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/17/2004 10:58:27 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. I just found out my friend Brain is going to come spend Christmas with me. For once in six years I'll bake my own turkey and make a fuss for someone I've loved as a friend for simply years. We are both single and both had no place to go. Seems like the perfect solution to me.
 Mr_Simple
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/17/2004 4:12:40 PM
Well I am going to start up the old "Briggs and Straton" Gasoline powered walker and go hunt'in! I'll go bag me some chick and bring her home for some fix'ins. Stuff her up so she won't want to eat for another year! Then maybe I'll get to ask'in her, her name.

Hint to all you old folks out there! Don't by the Gasoline powered walker with the toilet attached! It sloshes too much! I know!

Now where is my "Ben Gay" or I forgot! "Menthel-ate-him" Never mind joke for those over 100.
 kilkenney
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/17/2004 7:30:13 PM
mr. simple good 1, does anyone need 1 of those gasoline walkers i have 1 for sale not needed anymore
 besdad
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/17/2004 7:51:47 PM
Since my daughter goes to her moms house i usually go to the Vancouver Children Hospital to visit the sick children and hand out gifts.
 Sixxgunn
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/17/2004 11:24:05 PM
Same as always,bundled up on the couch hating Christmas,watching something terrible on T.V.,waiting for it to be over so I can get back to work.Man am I depressing myself....
 yna6
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/18/2004 12:29:02 AM
Hey sixx...put on the old Santa suit and go out for a walk!

Spend it? All on yourself! Tree, everything...wrap the gifts...then open them and pretend to be surprised...spoil yourself a bit. Finally buy that mink g-string...whatever....have fun with it! Cook a turkey and eat till you pass out!
 MrSherman
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/18/2004 1:28:27 AM

I spend my Christ~Mass alone and in the dark,since I no longer have family...*J*

I just ask The Lord to let me die, so this game can be played by another...

~~Angel~~
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/18/2004 5:01:13 AM
It doesn't have to be a holiday for me to feel sorry for myself.

This is mine and my girls first Christmas alone. My husband and I are seperated..and I live in HIS city and have no family here.... yuk..
SOOOOO......... us girls........ my girls are 3 and 6............ were going to wait for Santa ..of course...... have a HUGE pancake breakfast ..then go to the kids center ....(cancer hosp.) and play with the kids and help with dinner... I think it'll be great for the kids and for me....

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Ho HO! Single at Christmas. How do you spend it?