Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > when a guy says he loves you forever, does he mean it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 painted_wings
Msg: 1
when a guy says he loves you forever, does he mean it?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Like really, men have a funny way of twisting things around so that everything is your fault. honestly its not all the time, but if a guy tells you he loves you, that there is no one else for him, the whole growing old together and watching your kids grow, then why when one little problem happens that as nothing to do with you, and you didn't start it. why is it your fault????????????????
 rodscot2010
Msg: 2
when a guy says he loves you forever, does he mean it?
Posted: 9/7/2005 3:53:33 PM
Coming from guys, a statement that he "loves you forever" means one of two things. The most probable is that he wants to get laid and is willing to stoop to any form of emotional manipulation to acheive that goal. Less probable, is that he actually means it- however, there is no such thing as a lifetime guarantee in these areas. The person he is right now may believe that, however that person changes over-time- as does their preferences, beliefs, likes and dislikes. We need only to observe the evolution of our taste buds, our preferences for entertainment, our sense of fashion amongst many many other things for proof of changes in our personality. So yeah, at the time, he meant it- but once it is over baby, it's over. He may try to deflect responsibility because he feels guilty for falling out of love- feels that he is letting himself down- that he is quitting. Thus it becomes easier in his mind if he can blame somebody else- it lessons the pressure on his own ego, which has suffered from the perceived failure.

I guess you just gotta go with the flow. If love is happening right now- just enjoy it because it could be gone tomorrow. However- instead of that being a bad thing- why not look at it as a special gift- that you've had to opportunity to see the love of many souls- instead of mourning the one that is lost.
 sweet_yet_sexy
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/7/2005 3:59:36 PM
Well said!!
 trvlingman
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/7/2005 4:24:45 PM
not true.

if I say that. it,ll probably be right before I ask her to marry me.

people throw the L word around far to easily today.
 Upgraded
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/7/2005 4:37:14 PM
it's about as believable as, "i'm a lawyer, trust me" or "Sure, i'll respect you in the morning" or how about, "i'll just put it in for a moment and if you don't like it i'll stop"
 longcoolwoman
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/7/2005 4:56:27 PM
I think some "think" they mean it when they say it...but I think it's often too soon. They may like everything they have learned about you SO FAR but I can guarantee you, there is more to ME then what you can learn in one hayride!!! or a month or 6 months. In fact, I don't think it's possible to say "I'll love you forever" and be sure of its validity. After all people change and the person you fall in love with today may not be the same person you wake up next to in ten years. Life experience is about growing and unfortunately weeds and blooms grow in the same garden...and sometimes the weeds grow faster!

I even think the wedding vows should read "As long as out love may last!" Cynic? or Realist? I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions....and I welcome them all.

longcool woman
 Venomous
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:05:56 PM
You're all wrong! I'm a guy, and when I tell a girl that I love her I mean every word of it, I'm not looking for sex and could care less about it in my life. If it happens it happens. I'm sick of stareotypes.
 trvlingman
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:06:48 PM
since someone mentioned marriage I think it should also read.

this can only happen once. 1 kick at the can. you get divorced no more marriage for you.
 PuffyDee
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/7/2005 10:45:36 PM
agree with u rodscot. enjoy it as it cud be gone tomorrow. i dun believe forever. just enjoy it and dun think too much...it will only ruin the relationship sooner
 rocknrolla890
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:04:46 PM
i think it depends on the guy. ive been hurt enough times now that i no longer say love unless i absolutely mean it. its hard to break through sterotypes because its so easy to put a label on everyone. but then you could look at my pic and say well he's good looking and probably gets ne chick he wants. or u could see me now as i type this in my glasses and jeans and say he's a geek. the point is this is true for what people say. a guy can look like prince charming and lie, or he can look like a criminal and be the most honest upstanding person you've ever seen. i wouldn't ever say i'd love someone forever unless i meant it. not to my friends (because they are all family to me) or a lover. i still love my first gf even tho she cheated on me. i still love her because she changed me, my views, and my life so drastically. i still love my friends from college even though they dont call me because they cared more about me than my own family did. i guess what im trying to say is have a little more trust because not everyone lies.
 quiet-guy
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:13:25 PM
Short answer ...most likey NOT. He is saying something that he thinks you want to hear.
But every situation is different. If you are 14 and he is 16 then yes.
If you have just given life to a healthy son...yeah
But if a few words will change a mood then listener bewarey.
 hunter642
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:26:27 PM
Hrm... I've asked the same sort of questions about the women I've dated. I think I'm going after the wrong sort of women. You know the sort; they have snakes for hair and turn men into stone with their eyes. Know what I mean? No? Oh dear...
 Nighted
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 4:58:29 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Man, I've become so cynical.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/8/2005 5:14:52 AM
LOL PaintedWings....sounds like there is a deeper subject here....that you are not wondering as much about the sincerity of this guys love...but of the relationship, itself?

I think someone said it well when they said that people tend to use those three words, too easily...and unfortunately, it causes the value of it to lessen, for others who DO mean it but do not say it so easily. People need to learn the differences between love and lust/realllllly realllly like! LOL

But someone else said something to the effect of, "He could mean it at the time...enjoy it while it is there." I hafta' agree with that...maybe he DID mean it at the time...but love (even true love) fades or dies sometimes...as people grow (apart) and become different people than the ones we fell in love with. I know that was why my marriage failed...well, besides being a way too young anyway LOL...because I grew into someone (better!) and I was no longer the naive little girl that my X fell in love with. Someone better!

Lastly...someone who tends to place all of the blame on YOU during your disagreements or debates, is a control freak who will never take responsibility for the negatives...so HOW can they take responsibility for love? It is a give and take thing...
 painted_wings
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:26:44 AM
Thank you HarleyKat, it makes a hell of a lot of sence
 Shaps
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:42:28 AM
I'm gonna love you forever -- ok I said, now how do you feel ??? happy, sad, getting a good laugh out of it.
Love is based on length, now a spur of the moment thing or fling for that matter.
Love doesn't last, the same way as when the words first come out of your mouth, sometimes it gets strong, sometimes less.
Only question is, are you gonna love him just as much or as little as he is.
 Nighted
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:19:46 AM
Love is based on length?

How much can I get for 7 inches?

:D
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:36:33 AM
^^Giggles....about two hours, at least?!
 Textaxlady
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:04:55 AM
You are so right! There is no such thing as a lifetime guarantee when it comes to love. I know this from experience because after 20 years of marriage my husband up and said he didn't love me any more. The only thing that we can do is to take one day at a time.

Guys do mean it when they say they love us, but, like you said already, it's generally for one of two reasons. Frankly, I would just assume that a guy NOT tell me he loves me until he knows for sure that he does. I know I won't be saying the "L" word any time soon.
 itechman63
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 1:53:55 PM
After 10 years I got the "it takes more than love" meaning "I want to be a teenager again".

But there is truth in that statement. When infatuation gives way to love it takes maturity, dedication, and passion to keep it alive. It is too easy to take things for granted when home, kids, jobs, and finances bring you to the routine of getting through the day. You believe that love alone will get you through, but just keeping that love inside yourself for you then the object of that love won't know. Forever doesn't just happen, you have to make it.
 Bionic Woman
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/8/2005 1:57:46 PM
LoL

Ya he might mean it for a second. Just a line to get u into the sack when he sees u.
In my opinion
 Nicolebaby
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:58:27 PM
A guy can say he will love you forever, and in his heart he might feel that he does and will, But thease words do not guarantee you will be together for the rest of your lives or even more than 8 years, people change and their feelings do too! two people got to work at it and try to hadel things as maturly as possible!! You never no what might happen life and love is a crazy unpredictable thing!! Dont set yourself up for a let down! be honest and be ready for anything
 beautifully undone
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:04:20 PM
Monkeybone is correct.. unfortunately :(
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:06:07 AM
Well I disagree with those who said it is a method of getting someone in the sack or as believeable as a lawyer....

Who's to judge others and what they are feeling? Maybe it is more of a difference on what WE view as love? I know I do not throw those three words out easily...I mean...I tell my kids and family "I love you" every day...and that is unconditional/forever. But maybe these people that DO say it, truly feel it?

Try this...think about some past relationships where you thought you loved someone. (Put on those thinking caps, romper roomers!) ;) Maybe it was an awesome relationship that ended for amicable and mutual reasons...maybe it was a violatile and ugly ending? Point is...the next time you were in love, it probably SEEMED to blow away the last time, right? You thought, "Wow! THIS is what love is about!" That is because we LEARN from our experiences and mistakes...we take something from the past and use it in the future. So maybe, these people that are saying it, truly feel it because that is all they have experienced so far? Just a thought!
 Pellaken
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:19:58 AM
95% of guys are liars.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > when a guy says he loves you forever, does he mean it?