Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 callendargirl
Msg: 1
'toooo many fish in the sea?'Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I think we all agree, that this Plenty of fish is the best place to fish , and cast your rod. Hats off to the site!

However, if it is this site, (or one of those other sites who are dangling by threads , soon to be gone because we all love it here ,, swimming...... and fishing.... )

my question is.,,, ARE THERE TOOOOO MANY FISHES IN THE SEA!!!. Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices? When gramma met grampa at the box social (whatever that was) at church, did he have this many fish? When our parents met in highschool , didnt they search and choose from the smaller crowd. Now we have the option of thousands.

I think, that relationships and dates, and meetings, are almost like a ballot box.... we look and pick, we order as we would on a new car.. we select our options and if the newest selection... the one we have ordered doesnt come off the line with perfection , we tend to say , OH WELL NEXT.............
............. next ......

if we are back to fishing , we cast, fish a little,, hook and ........... toss that one back, he is too little, she is too big, he is out of season,.... oh god her gills are the wrong colour...............his tail is too short!

there are more fish in the sea........ I really hope , this isnt true, one day reality will hit and we will all still be here! still fishing! I myself, hope to hook one,, hook , line , and sinker!
 Majeau X!
Msg: 2
view profile
History
'toooo many fish in the sea?'
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:27:38 AM
I dunno about you, but my experience has been that yes, there ARE plenty of fish in the sea. But a high majority of them are bottom feeders, or your run of the mill cod. Only very rarely do you have the chance of bagging one of them swordfish.
 Heart Bandit
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:38:59 AM
I guess this is the way of the 21st century dating scene. And I believe if our ancestors had this technology they would have used it as well.
Yes, there are a lot of fish in this sea. But there are too many "men fish" trying to gobble up the comparatively small schools of "women fish" lol.

I think I need to use better bait!
 callendargirl
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:39:46 AM
yes, lots of bottom feeders, lots of suckers..... but really and honestly do you think there is too many to choose from? and as i asked... TOO MANY , fish ?
 callendargirl
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:48:03 AM
time... really , do you think so? do you think it is a better way? or is it disposable like everything,, slowly and surely is everything becoming disposable? this is the only way i date, no way for the blind dates or the friend set up,, so i hope this will work........... but my question, are we making this too easy too! what do you think?
 w82b
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:52:10 AM
ooops!

(read next post)
 w82b
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:52:54 AM
Not really. If you are mature enough to appreciate a mate and forget about feeling that another potential mate may be out there, then this site should serve you well.

When I read the OP I thought about the people who need to buy a new car often. Rather than appreciating what they have, their selfishness hounds them constantly. If you lack self control then there is not too many fish in this pond... in fact, maybe not enough.
 callendargirl
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:58:30 AM
island, i do believe i have the maturity,,, however, although i look for my forever, when i meet , seems like all of us are looking for that 'prefect puzzle piece that fits'

sometimes, i wish i would .......... see........... but blindly! that will make sense to some!
 Philosophers Stone
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/8/2005 1:07:28 AM
Women do seem to be the ones who express the opinion that there are a lot of options and that they get too many messages and such.

*looks over in his relatively empty bucket* Maybe I'm fishing in the wrong part of the river. I see a few skirt past my hook but they never bite, or if they do there is an obvious incompatability that would have been aparent had they read my profile and I have to throw them back.

Or maybe like time, I need different bait.
 mike1003
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/8/2005 1:25:35 AM
I would have to agree with callendargirl today there are so many ways to find that greener grass, even if its not really there. divorce was a big taboo 30 years ago and now its the the qwick fix. oh he's lost his hair, or she's gained 30 pound I don't love them anymore. there always that biger better fish just around the next bend in the river. good job girl for comming up with a topic that makes you say 'hum'
 BuzWeaver
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:14:52 AM
The site itself is simply a tool, like any other site, what makes it work is the people that participate on it. I suppose there is a certain level of commonality among the people. What I see as a common trend is people looking for someone very much like themselves, and since we are all different that is a tall challenge.

The bottom line is finding someone that shares your principles and ideologies. Its common for people to look for someone they most unconsciously see them selves as, this is the cause of a lot of the repeat problems in finding the “right” person.
 arri
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:30:01 AM
Are we talking about the Candy Store mentality?
 bucsgirl
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/8/2005 6:54:24 AM
arrianno Yes, I've heard that term and I think it's relevant. And NOT gender based. Some people do better with a smaller selection because their idea of what they're looking for is very broad, so having fewer choices simplifies the decision making process. Some have a more narrowly defined set of parameters so whether there's few or many choices the decision making process is pretty much the same. On a dating site, it's always a temptation to fall into the candy store mentality, but I think you just end up wasting more time if you stray from what you really want, or give into the "give someone else a chance" way of thinking. Personally every time I've done that I've been disappointed. It's striking a balance in between going out with anyone who's not a convicted felon to having your parameters so narrowly defined it's like an extensive shopping list.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:01:39 AM
One can always choose their favourite cove and leave the greater waters be. Or you can be selective by being very particular with the bait you use. As to bottom feeders, if you say "No cheaters, liars, players..." then who do you think you are going top attract?

Too much of a good thing only becomes bad if we let it.
 arri
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/8/2005 7:18:45 AM
^^^^ Right on --- if you show that you are wounded and vulnerable, then you only attract the cheaters, liars and players.
 callendargirl
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/8/2005 8:55:37 AM
In my seven years of being single , i have had three long term great relationships, and all long distance. As soon as they were solid , and i saw we had something, i was out of the dating scene, and when i meet him, i will be again! I dont fish when i have enough to eat! I am not even tempted. so that isnt the issue.

I just think maybe people are a little toooo picky because there are many more options here. Candy store mentality? yes, I agree . , but I dont like candy! I would rather think of it as an appetizer before my wonderful dinner! lol
 Heart Bandit
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:37:36 AM
time... really , do you think so? do you think it is a better way? or is it disposable like everything,, slowly and surely is everything becoming disposable? this is the only way i date, no way for the blind dates or the friend set up,, so i hope this will work........... but my question, are we making this too easy too! what do you think?

I didn't mean to suggest that there is a better way or not. It's just that with the technology we now have it does make it easier to look for others. Are we treating others as being disposable because of it? There will always be people who easily dispose of others regardless of the internet. Are we making this too easy? If the end result is for people with good intentions and are sincere in their endeavours about finding someone, then there is nothing wrong about making it easier.
 HB2
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:43:05 AM
You all know I meet a lot of ppl off this site....I date very few. I play a lot on here but I know what I want and am not into wasting anybodies time.

This site is a another tool to make those potential contacts and a long term partner and glory be! The friends made along the way are worth the time spent in the pond!
 OnTheBus
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:43:45 AM
like the OP idea/observation

But I also like having a variety to choose from
 brawnydog
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:45:30 AM

Are we becoming too picky now that we have so many choices?

No. I just wanna be "Johnny Fishy Seed".

moo
 HB2
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/8/2005 10:58:31 AM
POF has widened my horizons beyond what I ever imagined could be.

I will always be grateful to Big Fish for providing this to me.

No...for me there aren't too many fish in the sea...it's just a matter of logistics.
 thecatt
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/8/2005 11:03:47 AM
Yeah, I might be a little picky. But why not? I know what I want.
I also know what I DON'T want.
Most of the ones I've spent time writing to and talking to have been deceitful... liars.

I've yet to find what I'm looking for.
But I will.
I'm just not looking real hard.
 HB2
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/8/2005 11:06:09 AM
Who's looking anymore? It seems to just pop up since I quit actively looking!
 MtnDawn78
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/8/2005 11:34:18 AM
I totally agree! Seems like the 'rents found the dirl and guy next store, and were satisfied finding someone that they were "somewhat" compatible with, just because they were handy. Now, everyone is so obsessed with finding the RIGHT one, the one that's MEANT TO BE. Nobody wants to just settle anymore, and keep searching and searching. There are too many fish out there now.
 ShadowKnight59
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2005 3:31:02 PM
Well for some it still seems to be a mighty small pond given the lack of responses. I guess in part that is due to location as well.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > 'toooo many fish in the sea?'