Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What did you learn??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 misty767
Msg: 1
What did you learn??Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Okay first time posting a thread but I was thinking about this today...
Have you ever heard that saying that people come into your life for a reason...
Well if you are over the age of 18...I am pretty sure you have been hurt at some point or another..everyone's first response is to blame and degrade the other person and in some cases that is completely understandable..

My question is that can you figure out why they came into to your life...what did you learn...benefit....make you change about yourself...

I know some of you will have very funny responses....I am starting from latest to my first adult relationship..either dating or marriage...

I learned never to call someone after coming home from a bar lol
I learned that I was tired of waiting for someone to take me for a ride so I am learning to drive a bike and buying one in the spring..

I learned that online and in person are two different things.

I learned that some people are just put there to have fun and they are unable to love someone deeply but they can be your friend forever.
I learned that being wealthy doesn't mean being happy..

I learned that I can't be with unaffectionate men..
I learned that you can overthink things and end up never living your life.

I learned that there is romance in the world and men that like it equally..
I learned that you can love someone but never change them.

I learned that a family is a family and they are all dysfunctional to some extent...
I learned that being married (having someone) doesn't always mean feeling loved.
I learned that children are a blessing and there is no greater love on earth.

Now let the funny people respond..

Misty xoxoxox
 bigsmile
Msg: 2
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:07:51 AM
First to last-------

22 yrs old ---- realize how young we both were and I did not recognize that perhaps he really did love me
32 yrs old ---- wow, it's sure nice to be with a secure confident man that adores you, but life sometimes get's in the way
48 yrs old ---- those are great kids we were blessed with, some good memories even though we both let everyday stress beat our romantic life to death ....hope I can make sure that doesn't happen next time around
now --- hard to not know where you stand, when to stay, when to run, how much to feel, how to not feel so much but no matter what isn't it great to have the ability to feel all of that and experience great passion for life, for him and smile.
 Peep05
Msg: 3
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:23:21 AM
I learned not to take everything at face value.
That somtimes people can't change.
That I am better off without him (all ex's) They are ex's for a reason.
SOmetimes the person you end up with is the one that you can help, it isn't always about you and what you learn, it can be about someone comes to you to learn from you.
That life is to short to accept bad treatment and behavior
Not to expect everyone to keep their promises.
To wait for sex is better than to jump in and get hurt because you find out you never really knew him at all.
Learn about yourself and what you need before you get involved with another.
Love yourself or no one else will.
I am worth it.
 misty767
Msg: 4
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:26:09 AM
Bigsmile...

I love you now part...it is exciting to experience that passion..good luck to you and may this be the "ONE"..

Misty xoxox
 misty767
Msg: 5
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:27:14 AM
Peep you are absolutely right about them learning from us too...I hope all mine weren't bad lessons :)

Misty xoxoxo
 SoulBane
Msg: 6
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:27:56 AM
Well Misty, that's a pretty good list. You're ahead of things in life for sure.

And, you are doing a lot better than I did!

A few additions to your list:

I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt. If I trust them, and they wrong me, I am fine with me, just not with them.

I've learned that you CAN'T save someone from their personal demons. You can be there for them as they save themselves.

I've learned that time alone is not a cause for alarm. We all need time to ourselves, for needful things like thoughts and reflections, and potty breaks.

I've learned that cats do indeed have nine lives. But they're nine times more likely than humans to run into the road. everything equals out.

I've learned that first instincts are usually right, if not always correct. trust yourself.

I've learned that you are who you are, and can't and should not change to suit another.
Once the changes occur, you are no longer who they fell for, and they just might not want you anymore. Stay who you are, and true to yourself.
If someone loves you, they love YOU today, not for who they can mold you into.

And, I've learned that being in my forties is better than my thirties, and my twenties. because it's taken that long to grow the hell up.

Oh yeah, and lastly, a touch is worth a thousand words.......

-sb
 TheDevilsAdvocate
Msg: 7
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:38:02 AM
I've learned that you'll always have higher standards for yourself than you will for everyone else in your life.
That you cant have complete control over any situation, but can only hope for some control over the important ones.
That something as simple as a smile, freely given, can change someone's life inalterably.
That humour is the cure to just about every bad situation.
That the best and most precious things in life are those that can only be given.

Maria XOXO
 YamIhere
Msg: 8
view profile
History
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:39:15 AM
I learned that we just did this thread and it was called "What I've learned from my past relationships..."
 angel_smile
Msg: 9
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:47:12 AM
I learned that happines is a choice that requires effort at times.
I learned that you can't really hurt someone unless you mean something to them.
I learned to live each day as if its memory in the making.
 misty767
Msg: 10
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:50:27 AM
Sorry guys I didn't see it anywhere and I have been browsing the forums for awhile...

So now I have learned don't repost a topic because YamIhere will get on you about it :)

Misty xoxox
 YamIhere
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 10:56:01 AM
Misty, if I don't, one of the moderators will. In fact, I’m surprised it hasn’t been locked already. It’s nothing personal though. If you’ve been here browsing long enough, you probably have learned that I’m the forum a$$hole. It’s really a good thread and the last one went on for several pages. I just like to rain on people’s parades
 TripleThreatLive
Msg: 12
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 11:29:33 AM
I've learned that whatever your do, wherever you go, and whoever your with should be enjoyed to the fullest because it may not be the same tomorrow.
 stop sign
Msg: 13
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 11:42:45 AM
age 17- my first real love, he died a year later because of a drunk driver. he came into my life when i was just learning what being an adult meant. he taught me everything i know when it comes to relationships and to this day i compare EVERY guy to him.

age 19- casually dated "Dare" for 7 monthe. his mother never called me by my name but refered to me as the s1ut who was f*cking her little boy. i learned NEVER to tolerate it when a guy beats you up and i came to the realization that getting drunk and high is just stupid.

age 20- the second time i fell in love (well sort of) great guy but found him at a bad time in his life. he's in jail now and i guess i learned that patience is important in a relationship
 JuJuBee
Msg: 14
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 12:50:24 PM
I learned @ 20 that marriage should be outlawed until age 40. Not many ppl are ready to jump into something like that @ that level of maturity. We weren't.

I've learned that the only way to find a true friend is to be one.

I've learned that paying it forward is a wonderful habit to acquire. It doesn't matter what is done for who, someone will be thankful that you thought of them.

I've learned that internal fortitude is found after adversity.

However strong you THINK you are, you are.

I've learned that people strike out when they are hurt, scred, angry, or emotionally overloaded & don't know how else to get thier feelings across. Not everyone talks non-stop or is completely quiet. We are all different, yet all the same.

I've learned that no matter how much you love a person, if they don't want help, you have to let go, & let God.

I've learned that you teach others by every single action you take, word you speak, & step you take, whether postive or negative.

I've learned that I am surrounded by angels on a daily basis & that miracles happen every day. You might have to look for them, but once you start looking, you'll be blown away by how many miracles there are.
 amust2c
Msg: 15
view profile
History
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 1:28:09 PM
Man I've learned that all these people are so young and know so much?????
 My.02 Cents
Msg: 16
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 1:34:19 PM
I've learned that control over ANYTHING in Life, aside from how you react to it...is an illusion.
I've learned that just because I want something and think that I deserve it, doesn't mean that it will be mine...
I've learned that hard work doesn't necessarily lead to success without a liberal smattering of good luck being involved...
I've learned that people do shitty things...but that doesn't mean that I have to retaliate...
I've learned that nobody else's opinion of me is as important as my own...
I've learned that allowing the past to dictate the future is a choice...
I've learned that I know less NOW than I did 20 years ago!!
I've learned that NOTHING is forever...everybody leaves us eventually...or us, them.
I've learned that love is not just a feeling...but an action, requiring effort and attention.
I've learned that the value that I place on my life when I die, will be based on whether or not I have loved well...
 HB2
Msg: 17
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 1:58:21 PM
I've learned there is also a 2nd thread like this one called Pivotal Moments.....

18...I learned I had a kind of power over men

25...I learned what domestic violence really means/money really can't buy happiness

27...I finally learned to live on my own

28...I still had that power

44...I decided it's ok to leave when he cheats

44...I learned that the power is still there and it was me being myself in every situation

45...Life is good and the journey is just beginning
 mustangsally1273
Msg: 18
view profile
History
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 2:17:18 PM
I've learned that if they hit you once, it will happen again...no apoligy with stop them from doing it again.

I've learned you can only depend on yourself, there isn't always someone there for you when you need them.

I've learned to never regret anything...only deepens the pain, but to actually learn from it, and it then becomes experience.
 timber_wolf
Msg: 19
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 2:21:56 PM
-learned to be patient
-learned to be honest with myself
-learned to be honest with others...and the brutal truth is not the best way.
-learned that the past isn't the best place to live and encourage others like wise.
-learned that most people can be a$$holes and not just a$$holes in general
-learned that gorgeous girls don't have it all.
-learned that newborns smell kewl and melt my heart
-learned that spitiuality was the most important thing missing in my life
-learned that preconcieved notions are terrible things
-learned that sarcasim is not for all people
-learned the power of the remote
-learned the finer details of a womans body
-learned that being single and one-night stands suck

there are soooo many other things here.
 leafslady
Msg: 20
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 3:48:57 PM
At 18-I learned what real love was..
At 23- I learned that real love doesn't mean you'll be happy forever..
At24- I learned that motherhood is amazing..
At 30- I learned that single parenthood was a long tough road...
At 35- I learned that I really needed to get my sh*t together for the sake of my kids..
At 40-I learned 40 isn't a death sentence..
In the last year- I learned to appreciate my vision..because I almost lost it...

Everyday-I learn something new..
That friends are a godsend..
That the only person who can assure my happiness is myself..
That life is good...
 fishbill
Msg: 21
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 4:12:14 PM
I learned that If I am really horney the woman doesnt need to wash her ass first before Spanish kissing.
 bigsmile
Msg: 22
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 4:56:23 PM
Yam.....get off her case and it seems like you think you are the monitor!!!!
 mr.classicchevy
Msg: 23
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 5:29:29 PM
I have learned nothing.I have known right from wrong since 18.I am not like 90% of you that has to go through relationship to another relationship to another relationship ETC....To learn.What a waste of time....If you got to be involve in a relationship to find out what you want out of life.Or to learn.Then that is sad.I feel bad for the other person....I refuse to play games with another persons emotions.Sorry i have feelings .I know what i want out of life and i do not have to play games to know what i want.
 sammysalt
Msg: 24
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 5:40:43 PM
I learned that the good ones are rare, and if you have one you better hang on to him.
 ekkobeach
Msg: 25
What did you learn??
Posted: 10/18/2005 5:41:46 PM
Yes, Mr.Tarheelman, but you hate everybody and everything. No one is as smart as you; according to you.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/usermessages.aspx?user_Id=408413
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What did you learn??