Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Has anyone tried speed dating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 black-cat
Msg: 1
Has anyone tried speed dating?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
???
I have heard it is becoming increasingly popular, an am considering attending an event. Anyone had any experiences of speed dating?
 Maidendg
Msg: 2
Has anyone tried speed dating?
Posted: 12/10/2004 3:59:42 PM
never tried it, seen a tv show about it. very interesting.
 w8in4u
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/10/2004 5:18:04 PM
What is it?
 michellecathleen
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/10/2004 6:26:32 PM
yes i would like to know what it is too. please explain.
 justaguy13
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/11/2004 3:17:04 PM
In speed dating you go to an "event" usually held at a bar, you sing up before hand.

When you get there the girls all have their own tables and the boys wait for the starters pistol.

Then the guys go one a time to each table of the ladies. Depending on the event you usually have 2 or 3 minutes with each person. Ladies AND guys have a "score/note card" to keep notes on each person.

Based on that OH SO BRIEF encounter, you then decide whether or not you want to see someone again.

I haven't gone but have thought of it. I'd kinda like to hear from someone that has actually GONE to one.
 justaguy13
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/11/2004 3:18:28 PM
Oh, I forgot, for the QUALITY events, the organizers keep contact info and they keep a sort of "tally" of who you are interested in seeing/hearing from again. They then compare notes afterwards and if two people are "in" to each other, they make the introductions/provide the contact info.
 Tayven
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/11/2004 3:46:27 PM
Lol..."Speed Dating" ???

What the hell is that?

Like a drive by ralationship?

Love in passing?

I cought eye contact with the girl once...and, and...well, it was one of the best relationships I've ever had...So loving, so much to remember and embrace...Lol

Tayven,
 Dragon Fire
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/13/2004 10:50:10 AM
Aww Tayven thats cute :)
 Spoiled Princess
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/13/2004 12:40:49 PM
Speed dating...What the heck is that? Guess we don't have that in Arkansas yet....LMAO
 Roaul
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/18/2004 3:37:27 PM
i have been to one in england 8 months ago you get 3 mins to chat with a woman then move to the next one you can chat with upto 25 women,in a evening it was not all it was cracked up to be but it does work for some.
 Puppy_Love
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/18/2004 4:19:10 PM
Speed dating is probably more common in larger cities, where there are a larger population of single people. The process is described in a post above. I've seen speed dating on television, but never participated in one. Basically, you have about two to five minutes to meet someone, then they ring a bell, sound a horn, etc to let you know your time is up, then you rotate to the next table. The ones they showed on television made it look more like a job interview than a "dating."

Realistically, what can you learn about a person in two minutes (that is about a minute for each person)?
 Bobbarry
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2004 8:30:46 PM
Yes I have tried it and found it to be a very positive experience. I think it would work best for more mature people: 1. At my age (53) it is not easy to meet single people and this provides a method (the function is limited to specific age brackets) 2. The participants have a pretty good idea of what they are looking for and can make a judgement call in the short time they have.

Puppy Love: You are correct that you can not learn about someone in two minutes. The best way to look at it is as an introduction service. Also the speed dating part is preceeded and followed by an hour or so getting to know the other people.

For me, it worked quite well and I would do it again.
 Spirited Wolf
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/19/2005 5:24:38 AM
Well lol I just registered for one - 3 of my g/f and I are suppose to be headed towards one in April - well let yah know how it went lol.
 KeepingStep
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/19/2005 6:31:15 AM
Yes.. I did this. It was a great deal of fun and no pressure.

I don't know how this works with every organization, so I will tell you about the one I attended.

I filled out the form and payed the admission. The organizers waited until they had a group of 10 men and 10 women...all within my age range. (no young men looking for a Mrs. Robinson, thank you).

We met at a local hotel. On arrival I was given a sheet of paper for each man. I was told, to I would spend 15 minutes with each one... in the same order that the papers were stacked. At the end of those 15 minute I MUST come back into the reception room. I would have a few minutes to write whatever I felt on the paper, turn the paper in, and go back out to spend 15 minutes with the next fellow. Under no circumstances was I to try to over stay the 15 minutes or advance into another contact at this time.

I had a great evening. I didn't feel I had to figure out if anyone liked me or not, I didn't feel pressure to make a move or accept a move made on me, and I didn't worry about what would happen if I was the only woman still alone at the end of the evening... (we all were)... totally stress free.

Later, the organization compiles all the paper, and where both the man and the woman wrote down that they wanted to meet again... the organization contacted both to arrange for phones numbers, email, etc to be swapped between them.

I had a great time. Ended up with a few dates that were fun. I recommend it!!
 Sliv
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/19/2005 6:53:03 AM
I thought maybe it could be an alternative to a regular date for those with busy schedules. You know, instead of:

-candlelight dinner
-movie
-nightcap

You would have:
-hot dog
-tv commercial
-quickie on the couch
 OnTheBus
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:04:22 AM
I have tried speed seduction
 maxneebles
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:07:35 AM
Sliv......thanx for sharing that......:-)......love a good sense of humour!!!!.....LMAO
 playfulthrills
Msg: 18
speed dates
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:34:07 AM
5 minutes is not enough with some women and too long with others

the three speed dating outings i went to in Houston Texas, were at bars. They always had more women then men signed up for the speed dating sessions so they had to cancel some women, about 20 percent of both the guys or girls didn't show up that signed up

the last one had 8 school teachers, one doc lady... what a beetch... 2 lawyers several office workers and a ½ a dozen other women from different occupations. It seems like the women who had computers at work came and the men who were over 30

one time we had a sheet with things from the people profile of the women and men interests, another time nothing but a blank Pic of paper for notes, which made it impossible to remember them. the third time we had a different kind of notes

my suggestion if you are going have a few drinks and get into the mood i was shocked how nervous the women were almost like it was a serious thing

think of three or 4 questions to ask and stick with them because it hard to go to some one u don't know and in 5 minutes get to know any thing about them

one i use are

tell me
4 things i should know about you
3 things i might not like about you
3 reasons i should say yes if you ask me for a date

dumb questions
what do u do for a job
do u smoke,
go to church, have pets,
how many times were you married

yes they are important to a lot of people but in the first 5 minutes you meet them it hard to feel at ease and get them to talk
 MikeJ
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/19/2005 8:01:19 AM
Yes. My experience sucked. 99% of the women expected me to do all the talking. WTF is that?
 ladydi8
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/19/2005 8:18:32 AM
this post is too funny

some of us havent even learned how to be comfortable with

the old fashioned kinda dating...............

sigh....whats the world coming too...........

guess i will just go fishin.....................
 miss music
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:45:34 PM
Yes. I've tried speed dating. We had eight minutes per "date". Lots of fun...although it can sound like you're saying the same thing over and over all night. Usually get in about 8-12 "dates" in an evening. Great way to meet a lot of people quickly, get some 1-on-1 time. You quickly learn who has social skills and who doesn't!

Anyhow, I like high energy events and this was definitely that!
 Spirited Wolf
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:56:00 PM
I think thats what I want to get out of it - if anything - the energy - to see who is as silly as I am - who takes life to seriously that sorta thing - another experience in my life that I can chalk up as a good laugh lol.

I shall see.
 mouse62
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/19/2005 7:56:10 PM
A man after my own heart!
 wiles_1
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2006 8:50:20 AM
Where I live it was popular a couple years back. Not so much anymore.

Just keep in mind if you do it, it is just an introduction only. You can't expect to know 100% about a person right off the bat in 5-8 minutes of conversation.

If you want to know more about someone, you need to mark a yes (and hope they do the same)...

So if you are on the fence about someone, be sure and mark a yes so at least you have the opportunity to find out more.

The more open minded you are, the more fun the night will be. It is a great way to work on your interpersonal skills, that is for sure.

For some guys especially, sitting there talking to beautiful women sitting right across from you that you wouldn't ordinarily even walk up to... it can be a big ego boost.

Have fun and good luck.

Bryan
 Bandito
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:51 AM
I was going to until I found out the 5 minutes per lady didn't include foreplay or intercourse

I think its a big rip-off myself. Since your forced to pay something you are biased into selecting some "matches" that are really not suitable but you have to think they are suitable so you don't walk away feeling like a shlep or a looser.

Save you money for real dates!

Bana-dito
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Has anyone tried speed dating?