Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The relationship between the US and other countries in 10 years      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DMT
Msg: 1
The relationship between the US and other countries in 10 yearsPage 1 of 1    
I'd love to hear peoples' predictions of how the US will stand in relation to other counties in 10 years time.

Will it have conquered the 'axis of evil' and filled the world with theme parks (e.g. 'Arab-land', 'melting-Icecap-world'), and grubby little identical plasticy outlets selling poor quality fast-food. Or will it have overstretched itself and look something like the former soviet union - full of poverty, conflict and division? A place to go for risky cheap shopping trips and cheap holidays but not much else? Will many communites have been blown away by self-inflicted hurricanes and underwater?
 AngelAmbie
Msg: 2
The relationship between the US and other countries in 10 years
Posted: 2/5/2007 9:44:25 PM
The US already has a shaky view in the eyes of other countries. They need to stop imposing their thoughts and ideas on everyone else in order to correct the situation. The United States is NOT the best country in the world and shouldn't act like it is better than everyone else. I don't know about 10 years from now...but in 25 years we will definately be in dire times!
 Redheadgidget
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/5/2007 11:34:35 PM
In 10 years, everybody and their brother will still be trying to get to the USA and live.
In 10 years, other Countries will still need The USA for their economies to remain viable.
In 10 years, other Countries will still be complaining about the big bad wolf known as the USA while in the same breath expecting us to be the first with the most to give in times of their land's natural disasters.

In 25 years, in 50 years, the same applies.

That's my take on the scenario.
 SkaWizzles
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/6/2007 1:25:51 AM
10 years from now...

the debacle known as Iraq will destroy itself and unfortunately return to the rule of a dictator. The republicans will argue that the surge of troops proposed by Bush should have been carried out and be known as the main reason for republicans to regain power after democratic rule.

The history books will be written and read, mainly by foreign countries. The aftermath and degregation will irrate not only the middle east but surrounding areas. It will all begin when the United Nations insists that the Bush administration answers for their crimes against the middle east. Unfortunately, Bush signed into law, not only allowing him to revoke torture and the geneva convention, but rather be held UNaccountable for his actions. The united states will not turn him over. Thus providing fuel for the fire...

The US will not be the superpower of the world. China will be. They will need to build a power plant a day for the next 50 years to meet the needs of their population. They will outbid the US for natural resources of foreign countries. They will attempt to collect on the overwhelming debt that America owes them.

It's kinda intriguing that if an alliance is ever proposed between the Arabic countries and China that the two can destroy America with one blow. Not by way of military force but through economic means and resources of energy. The Saudis control 7% of the economic structure of the United States, hundreds of billions of dollars. We, the USA, now owe China hundreds of millions of dollars. The dollar is one of the weakest monetary assests in the world, Can't even compete with the pound. Now you might say "7%" is nothing, but every economist relays the same measure that if they were to withdraw, it would devaste America. So combine a economic crash with lack of energy and world hatred towards America, the future could be alittle grim, only IF WE LET IT HAPPEN.

Food for thought, WallStreet has remained supreme as the greatest and most lucrative economic marketplace in the world for over 50 years, the federal reserve predicts we will lose that power in less than five years to emerging markets like London.

I love America, but alot of this "go at it alone ideas" and "relinguishing of constituional rights to fight terrorism" has me very worried about the current situations that America is in.

Thank you all for your time...
 haloate
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/6/2007 2:00:19 AM
Everyone always likes to bring down the No.1... so i agree with MSG 3!
 Nightwing66
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/6/2007 5:08:33 AM
With the division of wealth continuing to widen & the US losing quality, high-paying jobs to overseas markets, leading to a falling standard of living, I think that domestic issues will be much larger in the coming years.

This may lead to a period of comparitive 'isolationism' while the US licks it's self-inflicted wounds.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 8:12:05 AM
I think one will indeed see a country like China rise to heights one cannot even imagine now. With their economy in it's current state, and unlikely to change anytime soon, they will be able to make better choices.

Unless the USA curtails it's deficits, and begins to work on the needs of the common people, this will be a ball and chain that will hobble progress on a social scale. Those pressures will keep the nation from making some much needed decisions, ones that will make it stronger in the future.

The out of control debt, coupled with an inevitable recession (which always seems to follow a war) , will make for some hard times. This is the greatest problem I see currently, for the long term health of the nation. Unless someone starts to act on it soon, it will pose a serious challenge for perhaps a generation. That debt, and it's interest (especially if rates rise) will create havoc in your economy.

I think after the Bush presidency, there will be a great shift in American attitudes back to a previous time. If, by some miracle, Obama gets into the White House in either spot, it could revolutionize the image of America in the world. It could also provide a wonderful opportunity to bridge the racial divide once and for all.

If America could return politically to it's ideological roots, and focus on it's true place in the world, and realize it cannot do the things it needs to get done all alone - things may improve.

What's sorely needed is a major revamping of the political system, particularly in regards to political funding of parties. The corporate buy off of politicians must be stopped, at all costs. Serious campaign reform has to occur, otherwise the voting public will never have any real option for change.

None of those things is an insurmountable obstacle, but whats needed is a great public outcry for change, in a bipartisan way.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 9:04:01 AM
Stay on topic please.
 Wolves-Lower
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 9:43:59 AM
The relationship between US and other countries will be both good and bad.
I think both Fosil fuels and food will be used as political weapons.
It can be argued that North America is the bread basket of the world.
When that is used to influence political motives....oh my.
 Mykool
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/6/2007 12:06:14 PM
interesting scenarios.......

In 10 years

It is possible the united States' aggresive foreign policy will have encouraged a new war
which may be bloodier and more destructive than ever imagined.

Or possibly the continuation of enforcing policy with a heavy hand, keeping forign threats at bay. Encouraging more people to continue to flock to the USA to seek out a better life.
 SkaWizzles
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/6/2007 2:28:12 PM
Montreal guy, I've read alot of your post in many of these forums and I do applaud your insight whether I agree with them or not.

Mykool, I do understand the positive outcome you address with the continuation of immigration, hopefully another administration will embrace the "melting pot" unlike the current. Immigration reform and the backlashing against "quality immigrants" by Bush are intended to hinder the very foundation of these values.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/10/2007 1:08:55 PM
I think the relationship over the next ten yrs could be strong....

If only......

Lets say Barack Obama did have a good running mate...

Someone i think could be perfect for that position would be Joseph Biden.

And with his past experience in politics, he would only benefit Barack Obama as a leader.....

And if they did get elected.....

Then sometime during their presidency.........

They could bring change and apologize to the Muslim community for America's over-reaction

First and foremost, for not understanding their culture/beliefs/society before 9/11

Secondly, for their actions against the Muslim community as a whole, post 9/11

Then a much needed healing process could begin and extremism in the muslim community would loose the legs that has been grown over this past administration.

All extremists....... need extreme elements to continue to grow like a cancer on society

The world needs real remedies/cures to this cancer and it.....

First starts with an apology.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2007 3:07:34 PM
Global problems require global solutions. Going it alone won't work, and refusing to negotiate with other nations won't work. Reagan was able to talk with the "evil Soviet empire", and no one took that as a weakness. Negotiating with terrorists should be a no go , one should never tempted to do that with individual actors. That will only encourage more terrorism. Negotiating with states which may sponsor terrorism is a different matter, however.

If you look at the history between the US and Soviet Union, that was never a problem for either side. The US was "sponsoring terrorism" in Soviet held Afghanistan (roughly the same type of situation that occurring with Iran in Iraq today), and negotiations could still continue. The Soviets had done much the same, on their side of the issue.

I think the failures of this current policy will empower the next generation of American politicans to see the value of working with the international community to resolve problems that touch all of us worldwide. To do that, they will have to also realize that such teamwork will mean that the USA cannot always get everything it wants.

That was how US foreign policy was historically always run (at least in modern times), up until very recently. It proved to be an effective way of slowly working towards what was desired, within existing international relations.
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/10/2007 3:53:34 PM
Global problems require global solutions

Totally agreed.

But when it comes to the United States in the next ten yrs...it reminds me of an analogy of someone trying to find love...

To love someone right, you first have to love yourself.

This is hard to do, when America is so divided amongst themselves (Especially Muslims) for the different actions taken in the search of terrorists(In their own country and abroad) by this administration.

If someone can unite the country first, especially for all the wrongs obviously commited over these past few years, then they can be a true leader to the world and it's affairs.

I prefer to see America as a leader....

But it takes a strong man to apologize successfully for his countries actions.

America always seems to have a problem admiting that they were wrong for past deeds....eventually they do, as in some cases such as Native American and maybe to some degree African American.

But in this day and age, especially with a growing religion such as islam.

I hope who ever is president, will make sure that the Muslim community understands that the western world understands that they are all not terrorists.

arri
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/11/2007 8:19:02 PM
MG MSG 13

As much as I agree with you, in this situation, US is involved in an Arab style of political maneuvering. US has lost much prestige the among the Arabs since 2005. Not because of their rhetoric towards Iran, but because they look defeated.

The Arabs traditionally been client nations going back over two melliniums. They can hate you, but would respect you if you are strong. That was the reason governments of Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the rest of the American friendly dictatorships around the gulf have been able to survive the public opinion regarding US/Israel treatment of the Palestinians while their leaders have collectively been kissing American ass.

Then comes Iran. First, they help Hamas after their governments withdraw support because Israel doesn't accept them as a democratically elected government. then US basically admits to losing in Iraq with the Iranians the winners. Later, Hezbollah fights off the Israelis.

At this time, negotiations with Iran would make US appear weak. The only way they can win back their prestige is to make Iran bow down to their power. The outcome of this drama is going to significantly effect the relationship between the Arabs and the US in the next 10 years.

Incidentally, the relations between Iran and Iraq in this situation is nothing like the US "sponsoring terrorism" in Soviet held Afghanistan. The ruling party in the US supported democratically elected Iraqi government was founded in Iran and is also supported by Iran.

You see, Democracy is a bytch. Why go to war when you can win the elections?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Council_for_the_Islamic_Revolution_in_Iraq
 bob0colo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 1:42:01 AM
If the US finds a Statesman, a leader, there will be a future. Someone to take hold of issues the World wants direction with. Global warming, middle east, health care issues for the 3rd world, ect.
Then, only then will the US become what so many have expected. A leader.
 Jack Mack
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2007 10:07:00 AM
I do not things will change very much in the next ten years, just as they have changed little in the last 20 years.
Our friends then are our friends now,
our enemies then are still so now.
The exception is the Soviet Union. We may not be best buds with them, but there is a nice toasty thaw in the relationship over the last few decades.
As for Israel, I am still a bit perplexed at the relationship with the US. Over the years there have been questionable events and such that have taken place that I am sure if it were another country we'd have sanctions on 'em, blockades and maybe even troops on the ground there. But Israel is different, "why?" I am not sure.

But my original point was/is that little will change with regards to our relationship with other countries in the next 10 years.
 Tourette_Cowboy
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/14/2007 4:26:34 AM
Not a lot will change, trade, economic & political tries will still be much the same in 10 years, but attitudes have swung enormously against America.

Once trust is lost, it's very difficult to regain.

Give it 15-20 years, I reckon & you'll see the US self destruct with corruption, crime & poverty etc.
 goinon30
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/20/2007 9:45:50 AM
Unfortunately living in Canada I've already been made to feel alienated by the US due to the new "get a passport" rule...there's a way to keep your neighbors.

dorionland
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:55:19 PM
America needs a revolution.
 Nick Thinker
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:45:37 AM
In my view, the US may not be perfect but it is (provided one is eligible for private social security) and will continue to be the best country in the world to live in, in the next 10 and 25 years and beyond. And people from around the world will keep seeking to live and work in the US because of the ops and diversity it offers compared to most other countries. I think the US will much evolve internally in the next ten years (eg Services are already 75% of GNP) become less materialistic and move more towards a more Services and intellectual products exporting model of economy. And Hillary or some other US Pres. (Rep. or Dem.) will eventually have to make universal Social Sec a reality. Plus the middle and grass roots America should consider that the US needs a Pres. in 08 that will urgently improve the US's image in the world, if not for anything else, for the benefit of the consumer goods and non-tangible products (eg music, books, cinema, etc) the US exports.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The relationship between the US and other countries in 10 years