Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Bass players thread....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldude
Msg: 1
Bass players thread....Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
For all the ones who like the low end. You know, the ones who usually don't get noticed in the back. Now a days, more bass players get more into the limelight like, Stu Hamm and Billy Sheehan. And the playing is more musical now then from the past. And with increased playing range with 5 & 6 string bass guitars. So lets hear it from the masters of the low end.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 2
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/25/2005 3:53:46 PM
I play bass and attitude in my band.

I am by no means a technical whiz, in fact, most of the stuff I lay down is the standard rockabilly walking bass lines or some melodious back beat stuff. But I LOVE it
 creativedelight
Msg: 3
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/27/2005 3:52:11 PM
I live for the bass! Thanks to you cooldude for getting this one started. I am a lucky guy to be able to make my living providing the bottom for a few bands in my area. For the most part I`m just laying it down as I play with two drummers at the same time in one band! There`s no feeling like that. I am a lead vocalist aswell and find it easy to do playing bass-but I can`t strum a guitar and sing for the life. Anyone else find that? Most people ( that I talk to )find it hard to sing and play bass and easier with a guitar. My favorite styles to play are nasty funk rock and battling my guitar player on stage ala Jibboom. Know what I`m talking about? Billy and Steve live at The Astoria! Power to my bottom end brothers ( and sisters )!
 cooldude
Msg: 4
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/27/2005 8:29:15 PM
I think ill leave the singing to ones, who can, well, sing! I've seen the battle between Billy Sheehan and Mr. bigs guitarist...Billy can definately keep up.
 creativedelight
Msg: 5
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/27/2005 8:52:21 PM
I`ve seen Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai together twice live in Vancouver in the last two years. Just un-believable! I had the pleasure of talking to the both of them after their show in Vancouver last April. Billy was so cool to talk to, he was interested in my career as opposed to talking about his. Too cool. Paul Gilbert and Ritchie Kotzen were Mr. Big`s guitarists. I saw Billy and Paul do the drill thing on the Tonight Show once. Where they had picks attached to the drill bit. Billy Rules!!!!
 OnTheBus
Msg: 6
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:15:57 AM
I think its hard to play bass and sing. I wish I could do it better. Of course, I wish I could sing, period
 K3VLAR
Msg: 7
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:08:58 AM
check out the bass solos by Matt Freeman of Rancid on songs like Blacklisted, Maxwell Murder, and Axiom. Or just any bass line in a random song by Rancid, his bass playing is insane!!!!!!!!!!
I remember at Warped Tour last year, he went off into an extended solo for Maxwell
Murder.
When I saw him play in Social Distortion on their tour last year with Tiger Army, I was expecting him to throw in some of his own bass skills when Mike Ness introduced him, but he stuck to the Social D bass lines!!!!!
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 8
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/28/2005 6:52:20 PM
Ever hear of Roscoe Beck? Played with Robben Ford and Blue Line for a while. That guy has style!
 creativedelight
Msg: 9
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:56:50 PM
Roscoe Beck is awesome. I love it when he turns on the chorus and plays those chords!
 creativedelight
Msg: 10
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:57:57 PM
Roscoe also played with Eric Johnson. You can see that on G3 `96 live!
 Nada III
Msg: 11
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 5:48:19 AM
I've been thinking of picking up the bass, I've been playing the guitar since 1991, but like it but think bass is really cool, My freind is going to sell me his 5 string Rouge for $100.00 bucks, should get me started, then I can move on if I like it to a Fender P-bass or something.
I really dig bands where you can here the bass
some influences I like
Early Metallica (Cliff Burton)
Saxon
Iron Maiden
old Chilli Peppers (flea)
Reggae (Bob Marley)
Yes
Rush
even some old 70's Funk.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 12
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 10:47:33 AM
yeah, I like that Fender P.

I also am coveting this particular Rickenbacker that is at my brothers Music store
 Nada III
Msg: 13
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 10:56:11 AM
can you guys read sheet music?, should I start at the beginning? take lessons, this way with the bass? what do you suggest to start learning.
 creativedelight
Msg: 14
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 11:30:36 AM
Hey Hombre!
I do read, but don`t usually have to. I would get a book that takes you through standard walking basslines. If you can find one that teaches the number system-even better. If you can learn to hear music in numbers, that`ll get you through learning a song easier. Later tonight, when I get home from work, I`ll post some book ideas for you.
You can`t beat a good old Fender bass! I`ve been through alot of brands, but always come back to my old Pbass. I also have a couple of Jazz baases around too. I love Rickenbackers aswell, although I haven`t owned one in several years- my last one was stolen.
My baby is a 74 pre bass with a fretless maple neck- the real deal! Big sound
 cooldude
Msg: 15
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 11:38:52 AM
I can read sheet music ( 4 years high school band ) but the sheet music has to have bass tabs on them. I recently got me a new SR500 Ibanez. To me the basic fenders ( MIA p-bass, MIA j-bass ) were too much compared to how much bass I could get to the Ibanez. I do like fenders, some of their newer models that recently came out with are better priced and more for the money. Well, to be fair, it depends how much money you want to spend. For me $1200 is a really major purchace.
 creativedelight
Msg: 16
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 11:50:23 AM
Some of those Mexican Fenders are pretty good instruments and are about half the price of the American ones. Of course they aren`t quite as solid-but good none the less!
I used to have an Ibanez Soundgear bass a few years ago. It was a great bass at the time. I found after awhile the active pickups are not my sound. That is the problem I am having with finding a 5string that I like the sound of- they all have active electronics. For now I am the human hipshot and just quickly tune down- even in mid song! After 25 years of steady gigging you get a feel for it! $-stringers just feel and sound better to me- unless you spend $3500 for a Warwick 5-string!
 cooldude
Msg: 17
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 1:35:33 PM
I've read in some forums the quality really went up in the MIM Fenders recently. I belive most pickups in the Ibanez basses are passive but with some, active electronics. Actually, I have a question on that. Do passive pickups with active electronics make them active pickups? Well anyway, I really do like the active EMG pickups I put in my fender. If their good quality, I think I like both types of pickups. The passive bartolini pickups I like too. 25 years gigging? Wow . Recently went back to music playing bass for a year. Not been in any bands except high school bands. Well, you never know.
 creativedelight
Msg: 18
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 1:46:58 PM
I`ve always thought anything with a battery was active. I do have an EMG in the front position of one of my j-basses-what a big barking sound. I found on my Ibanez ( with active pickups ) that there was a dead spot on the 2nd string 7th fret area. I liked the sound, but my problem was the neck was kinda flimsy and the truss rod had to be adjusted constantly. I started playing in bands for a living when I was about 15. Before that I was involved in lots of youth groups that played in public. My first paying bar gig was in a biker bar when I was 15! Hell of a place for a kid in high school.
 cooldude
Msg: 19
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 2:27:19 PM
Kind of reminds me of the blues brothers, when they played "Rawhide"
 OnTheBus
Msg: 20
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 3:18:55 PM
I cant read a note. and I dont care. I play songs my own way anyway, and no one has complained yet I mean sheesh, its just the bass
 creativedelight
Msg: 21
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 5:58:16 PM
I`ve rarely had to read for gigs- sometimes in the studio and theatre work. That`s about it!Usually I`m hired for my style and fretless work.
 OnTheBus
Msg: 22
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 6:02:41 PM
well I can see if playing in a theatre group or as a session man in studio, it is necessary.

For me and my band, it is probably better to not read music.
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 23
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/29/2005 6:22:34 PM
Hey El Hombre:

If you're just starting to learn, you'll never regret learning how to read music. There are so many good systems out there. Get yourself a beginners series of books that has tablature and standard notation. That will help you equate fret positions to a specific note. If you don't already have a tuner, get one, and get a metronome too. (Bass is a rhythm instrument and it's important to have a good sense of "time") Once you learn basic music reading, you can get into all the fun stuff like modes and all the minor scales...

Good Books: Hal Leonard publishing has several: Electric Bass 1,2 and 3 By Dan Dean

Most any teaching book by Ed Friedland. He has an excellent book: Building walking bass lines. Comes with a CD that lets you play along with drums and a piano.

Don't overplay initially; you can develop tendonitis. 45 - 60 minutes a day until you really start to develop your fingerings etc...

If you have the $, taking lessons for a few months will help too...

Good luck!
 creativedelight
Msg: 24
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/30/2005 12:19:58 AM
Right on, fries!
Learning to read can give an insight into rythmics you might not catch learning by ear. I have a few students ( guitar and bass ) who`ve been playing awhile and are just now wanting to read, I`ll tell you what- they have unlocked a few things within themselves that was triggered by reading and the theary that eventually comes along in a good program. At first I would hear- " I want to rock,no reading and NO THEORY!' So... after awhile when they want to learn a solo in their favorite songs, I would say " OK, all you need to know is this simple scale right here..." At that point, they recoil in horror and say " Scale?!!!!! " I say "Yeah, this simple sequence of notes ".... " So scales are cool, then" " Damn right, I say "
Really, it all depends how proficient you really want to be on your instrument. If you just want to jam and drink beer with your buddies, fine. But if you want to compete in today`s market and be a pro- you gotta have some knowledge under your belt- 4000 gigs doesn`t hurt either!
Bass out!
 cooldude
Msg: 25
Bass players thread....
Posted: 11/30/2005 8:05:51 AM
Obviously many people have done alright without reading or theory. But for me, going back to music theory really expanded my understanding of playing bass. Just learning scales and theory alone can get boreing after awhile. But when I learned how to apply theory in a real world situation it really took off. I came up with solo's just useing and rearrangeing the major & minor triads! I will probably end up takeing lessons to expand myself even more because I am stuck in a rut right now on what to learn.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Bass players thread....