Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What's the difference between a woman and a lady?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ClassyLexus
Msg: 1
What's the difference between a woman and a lady?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Inquiring minds want to know.
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 2
What's the difference between a woman and a lady?
Posted: 11/26/2005 7:43:02 AM
I would think that the difference is in the eye of the beholder. So you have to answer that one for yourself, IMO.
 Crossfade
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/26/2005 8:08:36 AM
A woman is a gender specific human. A lady is the same human of the same gender but has enough self respect and respect of others to know the difference and act and treat herself and others accordingly.
 lilkitten
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/26/2005 9:52:20 AM
Cross.....

I truly appreciate your way with words. So eloguantly put
 ezgoinguy
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:03:45 AM
To me, "A lady is a woman who makes it easy and enjoyable for a man to be a gentleman"
 La Loba
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:06:23 AM
A Woman is a fully developed human being of the female gender who is capable, independent, confident, self-assured, assertive (even aggressive if a situation dictates) - any and all of the qualities that adulthood dictates. A Woman has all the rights and responsibilities that go hand-in-hand with being an adult human; and as many of the privileges as she can demand from this same status. A Woman has the ability to make up her own mind about what she will and will not do, will and will not allow in her life.

A Lady is a woman for whom society has set certain 'rules' that keep her in her place - the Lady's Room. She must be genteel, elegant, sophisticated, well-mannered, and 'know her place'. Any activity not condoned by the social mores of her society will suffice to keep her there - and will stunt her ability to develop into a fully developed woman - capable, independent, confident, self-assured, assertive/aggressive. A Lady is circumscribed by the mandates of said society in that she must match her will and desires to the dictates of same. The lines of a defined 'Lady' are somewhat more blurred than in years previous to today though they (the lines) are still very much ingrained into the seams of society (reference Titanic and the roles placed upon women even in very early 'woman'hood at that time).

Various societal contrivances have been utilized over the years to ensure that women adhere to the mandates of society in complying with the Lady Rule. Failure to comply results in a Woman suffering the consequences. The rules are less stringently and overtly enforced as in years past; but are still very much alive within the framework of society and many still carry some of the same penalties.
 arri
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/26/2005 10:06:55 AM
Since all females are women, the question should be

What makes a woman a lady?
 Frrosty
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/26/2005 12:45:50 PM
La Loba speaks closely of my observations also. His descriptions seem to ring quite true.

A woman, in most cases, will admit to her desires and reservations openly.

A lady will not, in most cases. because to do so would not be "lady like".

A woman is who she is

A lady is who she thinks she is supposed to be.

*shrugS*

I find a lady will be more of a player than a woman because "a lady has her secrets"....right? She MAY almost OBVIOUSLY want to sleep with you...BUT..if you MENTION this..she will unleash the wrath of hell on you. (you're not supposed to see through a ladies secrets apparently)

What makes a woman a lady?

That depends on the views of; and morals of society on any given day. I find that most women who are adamant about being "a lady" will change their morals and descriptions of what is appropriate as soon as the majority of her environment does. A woman is solid, and consistent. The lady..is the flower that blows in the wind.

If the winds change direction...so does she.

Furthermore...every woman can be a stellar lady. Every lady cannot be a stellar woman.
 La Loba
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/26/2005 1:02:00 PM
Gosh, darn. I know that whenever I have on my ballcap, blue jeans, flannel-shirt look and head into Lowe's all covered in grim working on my most recent project that I sometimes get mistaken for a guy but ....

Anyway, La Loba translated is 'She Wolf.' 'She' as in woman, female-gender type of wild thing. And, just in case anyone is really interested, it comes from 'Women That Dance with The Wolves'. A really good Jungian read for anyone who has twenty-five cents and cares.

Regardless, thank you for your thoughts, Frrosty. I think we might be thinking alike. Yes, I will in pretty much all cases admit to my desires and reservations openly. I have no concern regarding what is ladylike or no. I can go from the 'most-recent-project look for Lowe's to a little****ail (okay will roostertail work?) dress, heels and stockings for a night of dancing in the twinkling of an eye. I know exactly who I am; spent way too much time in the past-tense being who I thought I was supposed to be. Only on that last little thing do I beg to differ - All women have their secrets. Don't let any of us tell you differently.

Furthermore...every woman can be a stellar lady. Every lady cannot be a stellar woman.

Can I borrow this?

Changed pic. Now do I look like a Woman?
 Frrosty
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/26/2005 1:06:06 PM
AbssoRUTERY!

Furthermore: a woman demands a certain amount of respect for who she is as a person and how she acts as a human being.

A lady demands a certain amount of respect.......simply because she's female.

EEK! SORRY LOBA!!

*Grovels at her feet for forgiveness* (I'm NOT too proud to grovel)

Again, truest apologies. I did not look at your ad before answering and very quickly glanced at your pic, on this forum, before answering.

My bad.

IN further looking at your ad; it is GLARINGLY apparent that you are in fact quite the lady when the situation calls for such.

<--relegates himself to carrying her baggage on her next 4 business trips AND holding the towels for her next 2 spa trips.
 La Loba
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/26/2005 1:14:37 PM
Apology most graciously accepted, Kind Sir. (Now would that be lady-like, or womanly?)
 Frrosty
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/26/2005 1:15:23 PM

That was rather lady like.

heehee.

"Lady" is a shallow branding done for social purposes. "Woman" is the deepest root. YOu CAN make a lady seem unladylike (quite easily). You CANNOT make a woman seem unwomanlike. (EVEN if she is in a boxing ring; she is still very much..a woman) ;)

We can tell by Lobas' insight into her line name..that she is, indeed, quite a deep thinking woman with strong character and much substance.

^THAT was not grovelling; THAT..was truth.

But you DO look quite pretty in that picture with the HAT you know!! Who would have KNOWN that such a striking flower could grow up in all that SAND!! (who knew!!?)

^ That "was" a wee bit...um...grovelish..but hey.
 La Loba
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/26/2005 1:30:35 PM
Well at least now I'm not being mistaken for a man. Now that would be a travesty!
 Kiss_My_Karma~
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/26/2005 2:02:01 PM
Thought I would share one of my favorite poems. This woman is both a phenomenal woman and a lady!

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Maya Angelou
 angelstar64
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/26/2005 5:05:44 PM
ummmmmm.......there are men and women......a lady is one who doesnt cuss at all in the company of men...they behave and act in a certain matter......manners......not all women are ladies....a woman can be a lady in public then an animal in private....so i guess thats the difference...
 Humble Pie
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/26/2005 5:10:05 PM
There's lots of one, but few of the other!
 La Loba
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/26/2005 5:11:54 PM

a lady is one who doesnt cuss at all in the company of men...they behave and act in a certain matter......manners......not all women are ladies....

Damn, my point exactly!
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2005 5:09:06 PM
Lots of women around ... some nice ... some not ..... some self centred ... some not much..
A Lady is not caught up in herself ...genuinely is interested in others and cares ... puts herself at ease with all ..... and makes them feel at ease ..... is interesting ..... not hurtful, ever and can be any age and from any race and economic strata.
Pretty much the same as a gentleman
But a true lady can become the object of worship (figuratively speaking) where an average woman will not
 La Loba
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/28/2005 8:08:56 AM
^^^^I would say a really succinct definition of a Good Woman.

But 'not hurtful - ever'? Then she just became that object of worship and, Man, I feel sorry for her. If she's never hurtful, ever - then she's hurting, herself, all the time. And Thank You, God for making me an average Woman!
 insertbrainhere
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:43:26 AM
A woman starts with W, and a lady starts with knowing how to sit with they're legs crossed, and doesnt openly scratch armpits and eat with an open mouth, burp, fart, or talk like a greasy spoon trucker waitress.

And she wanted to know what i was feeling when i dumped her..lol
 JimmyD82
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/28/2005 9:52:12 AM
A woman is a full-grown female. A lady is a woman with manners, morals..class.

Ladies are so rare in the current generation that we now use the word to refer to mostly older women. In the age of Girls Gone Wild (not that there's anything wrong with that ) ladydom is mostly forgotten, but I bet it'll come back. Possibly soon.
 Frrosty
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:01:32 AM
A Lady is not caught up in herself ...genuinely is interested in others and cares

Or at least is good at pretending she does?

not hurtful, ever

Even when needed.

A woman will TELL you that you have issues or are looking retarded. and your faults. A lady will smile and say you're perfect the way you are. (then tell her friends the truth later and/or talk about you behind your back.)

But a true lady can become the object of worship (figuratively speaking) where an average woman will not

I disagree.

A lady is a woman with manners, morals..class

I can agree with this. HOwever; I would say a lady is a woman who sees manners and class as her main goal as opposed to a woman who will know when manners are not what is most needed and/or effective in any given situation.

This above quote is the best side of a "lady" though.
 leafslady
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:07:45 AM
Aww..crap!
I guess I need to change my name on here,then?
 Sierrasman
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:16:42 AM
All ladies are women, but not all women are ladies.
 lone56wolf
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:36:55 AM
A woman is someone else's gal. My lady loves me....

Steve
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > What's the difference between a woman and a lady?