Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > How could we possibly end poverty?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WorldCitizen
Msg: 1
How could we possibly end poverty?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Who would go to the trouble of getting an education if you didn't have to do it to make more money?

Who would do the dirty jobs if they didn't have to?

Doesn't poverty serve functions of society for this reason?

How much poverty can we tolerate without huge social problems due to bad hygiene? starvation? inability to care for one's surroundings? disease?
 reeferjones
Msg: 2
How could we possibly end poverty?
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:00:20 PM
The ENTIRE WORLD's agricultural output can sustain the complete balanced diet of 2.1 billion people.How many are we up to now?6+ billion?
 reeferjones
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:24:52 PM
Well those statistics came from a book(can't remember the name right now,but could go to library and get it)written by very well respected leaders in the field...studied by proffesers in top universities around the world and have given lectures on the topic in universities such as Harvard among many others.

Are you suggesting that the ENTIRE populations of the Industrialized world are eating a "balanced diet"?
I would think that "Billions" ARE actually clawing at the dirt in order to stave off starvation,maybe I'm dellusional.
All those starving famillies around the globe are a myth....we should stop sending them aid,they are obviously faking starvation.
 dallasguy99
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:30:01 PM
Ending poverty is highly overrated.
 dallasguy99
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/4/2005 3:56:08 PM
Are you poor when you sit and smoke a crack pipe all day, and Ted Kennedy feeds you? Well, he wants a hit of the pipe no doubt.

You know you are wealthy when you have more than three 'baby mommas'.
 WorldCitizen
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/4/2005 4:30:20 PM

If you live in a house with electricity and flush-toilets....are you really "poor"?

certainly not as poor as many other people.

Good question....
 bellavita
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2005 5:17:52 PM
I don't think crackheads feeding off the economy is the reason for global poverty, dallas- honey.

Isolated instances of crack abuse often result in personal poverty, but that doesn't explain the large majority of welfare mothers- If you're insinuating that people 'choose' to be poor in most cases (which I'm sure is an assumption you'll back out of) than you are gravely mistaken.

Is it so much to believe that the system we have now is NOT working for a large majority of the people? Dallas, honey- it's easy to say that people are poor because they choose to be, but in saying this you've obviously never been TRULY poor. It's not something people proudly display on a sash or mantel- It's a horrible truth that many have to deal with- and making light of it only makes you sound insensitive and ignorant concerning the realities of the subject.

I know though, deep down- that you two do NOT believe the cruel myth that poverty is caused by lazyness- you are TOO good for that, don't prove me wrong..

xo

-bella
 JacksSmerkingRevenge
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:14:28 PM
I don't believe humankind can exsist on such large scales without poverty.
 WorldCitizen
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/4/2005 7:32:48 PM

Intelligence x work = wealth

shouldn't we throw money or ownership or opportunity into the mix there somehow honeyko?

I can't believe those aren't major factors...
 dallasguy99
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/4/2005 8:08:59 PM

I know though, deep down- that you two do NOT believe the cruel myth that poverty is caused by laziness- you are TOO good for that, don't prove me wrong..

Yes I do believe this. And I believe there are more crack pipes that you realize.

I do too much volunteer work with people just like this not to believe it. One weekend with me would change your life, your way of viewing people, and put everything in its correct perspective. It does not mean that we do not (or I do not) continue to help.

Some call that a burden, I call it a fact of life.
 bellavita
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2005 9:07:41 PM
Dallas, I volunteer at all levels of the community- I speak to 'at-risk' kids about their goals, I help at Wesley Urban ministry dinners- I give speeches at middle schools to help promote positive drug messages- I come into contact with people that you are generalizing on a DAILY basis-- I am not discounting your knowledge, I am not saying that there are NO crackpipes in the world..

But I certainly do not think ONE day of witnessing drug abuse in your community would change my mind about things. I see alot of this myself, but more than the abuse itself- I see alot of hope in people. I see mothers and fathers who work 3 jobs to provide for their children, and still struggle- I have a good friend that is a recovered addict, who served time 9 years ago and didn't find an employer until LAST year that would look past his criminal record. It's not a fact of life when society will only accept white bread perfection - when kids are born into low-income families their chances of always living in that level nearly DOUBLE.

I'm making a film about the core area of my city- the "gritty" downtown area that is stereotypes by the richer areas in the suburbs as being drug-addicted and plagued by crime.. But what I've found through the interviewing process is that most are not involved with drugs- and those who are- every single person who I've met who has a drug problem, or has had one in the past- did not choose to use their drug of choice for fun, or recreation - perhaps at first made a semi-conscious choice to use, but then it became out of their immediete control. Most of these people have their own pains, struggles- used because it made them feel better about their situation, no matter how bad it was.

Drugs are an escape, Dallas. I don't believe there is a purely recreational drug- So to me, personally- witnessing the plight of drug addicts attempting to whitewash painful childhoods, and abusive relationships, day to day struggles with their addictions- it is pity that I have, not contempt.

Drug addicts aside though- I don't think poverty is caused by drug addiction. I think it's a convienient label for the problem that makes people in higher-classes and higher income brackets more comfortable in their quality of life- relieves guilt if they can blame it on the poor population and not on anything they have an influence on.

xo

-bella
 Blacksheep
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/4/2005 9:13:03 PM
Well Said Bella!!!
 readyforyourlove
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/5/2005 5:51:06 AM
i think we should tax the shit out of the welathy and give it all to the poor..of course, after all the wealthy businesses and people go bankrupt who will we be able to tax?
 ErikSFBay
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:54:13 AM
i guess some people have never heard of the working poor.

34% of those on welfare are single mothers with children. 19% are the elderly. 35% goes to non-elderly adults most of whom are disabled. (the other 12% are families with married parents).

poor people still work hard including single moms it's a requisite for any benefits. some day people will wise up and stop listening to the Ronald Reagan created myth of the Welfare Queen.

I don't find it good sport to beat up on poor children, the elderly, and disabled.

I never see anyone question the hundreds of billions we spend on corporate welfare. we shouldn't question social welfare without also questioning corporate welfare. we give away money to highly profitable corporations with no quid pro quo.
 Blacksheep
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/5/2005 10:55:55 AM
Oh no, lets not tax the wealthy, they will have to trade in the 90' Yacht for a 40'er, and drive last years Bently! How will they be able to defend themselves without high priced celebrity lawyers, or brib the government to look the other way?
How will the be able to contribute to political campaigns?

How could we do that to them after they've done sooo much for poor people, like send their jobs to India/Mexico/Asia, and syphone all the money outta poor peoples retirement.

Can you see the tears in my eyes for the rich?????

"I plead the 5th"
 WorldCitizen
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/5/2005 11:29:26 AM
I don't think we're getting what I asked for here....

I'm not criticizing rich people or poor people. It's a given that we must have social inequality for the economy to perform. For example, if we were all out on yachts (90 foot, 40 foot, whatever), who would collect the champagne bottles out of the garbage?

The point is that we must have some form of social safety nets in place to keep severe social disorder from becoming commonplace. We need to protect ourselves from diseases, rampant crime, and many disastrous consequences like riots in the streets if certain conditions go unchecked.

There is a danger of this now in certain large cities where thousands of homeless people are living.

Do we let riots and disease happen or deal with it?
 bellavita
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2005 12:28:12 PM
We do our best to deal with it- We attempt to create a basic quality of life for EVERYONE- We try to suffocate overconsumption and spread out wealth so that it is more equal.

What can we do to work towards a more equal world?

1) Redistribute resources, land wealth among poorer countries that the U.S. currently profits from- [Columbia, Sierra Leone, Swaziland]
2) Push for human rights in countries that exploit their people- establish a U.N. presence (non-military) to help progress women's rights specifically in cases of FGM.
3) Ensure that countries are not pressured into producing cash crops to repay foreign debts.
4) Put funding for Africa into community based programs, education for young girls with reality in mind, and spreading medication for AIDS into poorer communities.
5) Stop using bargaining tactics in providing foreign aid, in exchange for gutting of their education programs.
6) Promote a job market that is fair to workers, provides fair wages, pension plan, medical insurance, life insurance- [Most companies in poorer African countries pay the workers less and do not provide proper health coverage so that they can hire a back-up worker to fill in when the employee is victim to the AIDS virus]
7) Allow welfare plans in the U.S. that help mothers achieve a higher level of education instead of working long hours away from their children for minimum wage.
8) LOWER the deficit so that interest rates can go down- allowing more middle-income investors to put their money back into the market.
9) Fully fund proposed social programs, head start- after school and breakfast programs, adult literacy programs, etc.

There are many smaller steps that can be taken. It is not about EXTREMES- It's easy to throw our hands in the air and say It's impossible to make a difference in the state of our world- in the issue of Global poverty, but that is not the case.

It is not a choice of taxing the rich into bankruptcy- if we truly look at statistics readyforyourlove, this is next to impossible. It is about balance, and equality- small uninvasive procedures to even out distribution of wealth and resources. If all the million and billionaires in the U.S. and Canada sacrificed just 10,000 dollars each- (A deduction they would NEVER personally feel)

We could END world hunger!.. These people have SO much money that they do not have the capacity to EVER spend it all personally- Why is something like this not being considered?..

It is practical, logical, VERY possible- but yet here we are, 2005- and something like this has never been mentioned, considered- or even thought of.

In fact- the middle/lower income classes give MORE of their income to charity than the higher income bracket groups. Does this not seen unbalanced and unproportional to anyone but me?

We have the ability in our lifetime to make poverty history, to end world hunger and to abolish suffering in the third world- but it's going to take more than idealism and rhetoric to do so- There needs to be an understanding that the world is ours collectively and an agreement to do something about the injustices that are occuring while the top percent of the developed world lives in the lap of luxury.

xo
-bellisima
 Ms. Picky
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/5/2005 2:43:48 PM

Do we let riots and disease happen or deal with it?

The government will never let this end. They make too much money from poverty/disease.
 cameo80
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/5/2005 8:46:27 PM
The only way to deal with poverty from a political view.

Solution to our debate, lower the intrest rates (from places who loan money like the IMF (international monterray fund) to the HPI (human poverty index) countries on the united nations list of the people who are really suffering deprivation of the basic needs of life (mostly in africa and south asia. Increase Aid to these countries, increase trade of services to these countries major city's where industrialization has been taken place.
Set a world standard price for labour, for western nations building their.
Free Trade, between all nations "free trade, is fair trade" PM Martin
And this is the new globalization act, that should be taken place if you want to see this world to see improvement.

Maybe somthing could be done about the currency, and everyone adopt the U.S dollar and call it the World dollar or somthing.

Other than that theirs nothing you can do that can change this system its pretty much flawless. (multi party democracy, and the system of this globalization policys)

Invest in military and security for countries to crack down on corruption which i think is the worlds biggest problem in slowing growth.
intrest can do to ya too.

Then let it play out
"their will always be bad apples, when you grow them on a tree"
 CountIbli
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/5/2005 8:58:22 PM
How do we even define poverty? Are the lowest 5% of income earners in poverty by definition? Then we'll always have poverty because there'll always be a bottom 5%.
 bellavita
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2005 8:58:24 PM
It's too difficult for aid to be provided to countries that are mineral rich- Gov't corruption is too rampant.

The U.S. will never alleviate the strain on the developing world, the gap in quality of life helps the United States maintain pressure on these countries and creates a dependance that is good for the U.S. economy- the U.S. only provides funding and aid to these countries if their is some sort of political or economic gain, so the chance of the G8 countries getting together and actually meeting the 0.7 benchmark voluntarily is pretty slim.

xo

-bella
 Breifne
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:14:11 AM
I agree with bella on this. (Re: corruption.) Human nature has always been the same. There is no reason to expect it to change. Politics (the distribution of wealth and power) is a human endeavor. Poverty will not end until human nature is altered, i.e., never.
 bellavita
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2005 12:46:18 PM
Honey, the US maintains pressure in many ways--

ONE. Most African countries are still grossly in debt from interest repayment, etc- So in order to attempt to alleviate this strain, repay the debt- Instead of the U.S. giving these countries a break-

They are forced to mostly cultivate CASH crops, extract resources that are valuable to the U.S. that may help reduce their debt.

I.E. Sierra Leone is the most mineral rich country in Africa, yet the POOREST by far. It has spent years extracting the most beautiful diamonds in the world for our lovely American ladies to wear- but ignoring the strife of its' people. There is no focus on growing crops to sustain a quality of life- only only the cultivating of resources that are valuable to the Western world.

Malawis' original debt of 14 million several years ago, has become over 42 million from interest build up over the years- Although agriculture sustains most of the population, in bad crop seasons and drought/natural disasters Malawi falls prey to its' second greatest resource- tobacco. This dependance on the U.S. is often factored into unfair prices for Mallawi exports.

xo

-bellisima
 Gotapulse
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/6/2005 6:11:18 PM

Give me all your money.

Hey, I didn't say I was concerned with YOUR poverty.
 right_wing2300
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:44:04 PM
There will always be poor people and they will always suck off the government.
While people who work pay there own bills and fight to keep from being poor have to pay for that. I'm 24 have been homeless jobless and even than still way to freekin proud to take one red cent from my fellow country men. I belive in take care of the childeren, elderly, than the perfectly healthy welp who wants be steel my tax money to buy crack. later folks
Dude I am so gonna get hate mail for this............lol Love ya peace out
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > How could we possibly end poverty?