Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Hep C..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Byrd
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Hep C..Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't have it but I have a friend that does. Many people have Hep C. It seems that many people that have it get some liver problems later on..I heard of a Hollywood producer that beat it by eating nothing but beets supposly he doensn't have it anymore..I've had a couple friends die of it one got liver cancer another had a heart attack both had used heroin earlier in their lives..It seems like many people in their 40's-50's find out they have hep c as it's laid dormat for many years...Do you have any ideas for treatment Know anyone that has it that's found a way to feel better...Thank You..
 ashley1861
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:27:22 AM
That's scary... the laying dormant thing... kind of like crummy sex coming back to haunt you. uuuuhhoooo.
I have heard stories of lots of things affecting the liver and then add everyday compounding of stress on any one organ - can't be good. Also, note: liver misdiagnosis runs amuk.
Tell your friend Good Luck from us at POF.
 justjazz
Msg: 3
Hep C..
Posted: 12/14/2005 2:59:21 PM
have your friend see a hepatologist. Have him request a HPV DNA analysis. A liver biopsy is also recommended to assess the stage of fibrosis and other issues. It can be treated but certain criteria must be met before the treatment can be given. The success rates of the treatment are not the greatest either. Many people are nonresponders to the treatment. It is hard on the body and has some significant side effects. please have your friend seek help from a hepatologist if not two!
 Byrd
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/14/2005 7:52:25 PM
Thank You, she isn't feeling too bad yet she still drinks I worry about her all the time as we had a little close knit group of friends then the sh*t hit the fan a couple died...I gave everything up got checked for everything cleaner than a whistle...Thank God but even then this gals like my sister so it's rough..Thank You.
 ineed20ccofu
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:13:03 AM
as a healthcare worker i come into contact with those afflicted with Hep C on an almost daily basis.....as a healthcare worker few diseases scare me as much as Hep C............
although there are treatments that can prolong the quality and length of life there is NO CURE for hep C......the best way is to avoid high risk lifestyles such as unprotected sex and IV's drug use ect.....but Hep C is one of the strongest bugs out there. Hep C a virus and therefore is unaffected by anti biotics. Hep c has been able to survive for 3 days in dried blood, precautions versus bodily fluids are of extreme importance
 Byrd
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 3:26:44 PM
Whoa didn't know that..in dried blood? That's wild...What gets me is that it goes undected for years then suddenly Whammo! Also most people have no idea how they got it..I wonder if you get checked your negative..Then years later get checked it shows up, if you've been exposed to it I mean.? Thanks for the information.
 livewirehere
Msg: 7
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:01 PM
I remember the day when there was A, B, and C... And I work in the medical field... It now goes up to G, including negative A-E... I was lucky enough to contract viral hepatitis over the summer, which started with a simple lymph node in my armpit...I won't make anyone listen to how ugly it can get. The worst part about viral hepatitis is that there's nothing they can give you to make you "well", and it takes about 3 months to "do it's thing". They don't tell you that it can also take about 3 months after that to fully recover, since you've basically been bedridden for 3 months...
 stevens
Msg: 8
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:00:42 PM
it is a sad thing
any hep.
though god bless i'm all good
i have witnessed the suffering.
may god bear witness also.
life ain't fair.
someone's gotta live it.
 late™
Msg: 9
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:24:09 PM
I remember the day when there was A, B, and C... And I work in the medical field... It now goes up to G, including negative A-E... I was lucky enough to contract viral hepatitis over the summer, which started with a simple lymph node in my armpit...I won't make anyone listen to how ugly it can get. The worst part about viral hepatitis is that there's nothing they can give you to make you "well", and it takes about 3 months to "do it's thing". They don't tell you that it can also take about 3 months after that to fully recover, since you've basically been bedridden for 3 months...

Absolute BS.

Seriously, there are resources available, google is your friend.

Hep C, Hep A, Hep B, ...all different in the way they're contracted, the way they're treated, the may they manifest.

Among each type there are genotypes, between them, ...a myriad of differences in treatment and outlook.

Do yourself a favour, if you want knowledge, ignore anything in this thread and do your research.

Hep C a virus and therefore is unaffected by anti biotics.

D'uh, .......antibiotics suck for cancer too, and torn ligaments...... again, ....D'UH.

BTW, it is possible to have Hep C in viral remission (as good odds as 80%), the odds depend on the genotype, ...."A", "B" and other variants are not cross tolerant and are as different from "C" as Polio.
 Byrd
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:30:51 PM
I got A once body surfing in the ocean I was one of 33, boy! was I sick for days almost as bad as eating raw sea urchan...
 Ms. Picky
Msg: 11
Hep C..
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:43:22 AM

Have him request a HPV DNA analysis

What's that test tell you? Isn't that a different virus?
 livewirehere
Msg: 12
Hep C..
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:20:47 PM
I have to say, that when something is "viral", the only thing you can take is something to treat the symptoms ((like with a cold, in which antibiotics won't do a dam# thing)).... I have a friend who has autoimmune hepatitis, and within a month they had a medicine that was working well enough for him to function again.... And this poor guy was as sick as I'd ever seen anyone.

Which is why I said the word "viral"... It's totally different from a few of the other. Those tend to be a lifelong disease that you have to deal with and many people end up needing transplants...
 livewirehere
Msg: 13
Hep C..
Posted: 12/17/2005 2:27:18 PM
They took 9 vials of blood from me initially, when they tested me ((I believe that was done at least 3 times over a period of less than 2 months))... It seems that viral hepatitis is hard to diagnose.. My Sed Rate was elevated as well as my rheumatoid factor ((but that all makes sense now, because with liver inflammation you can also have inflammation in many other parts of your body))... ((I was almost at the point where I was ready to give up))---

I couldn't believe the first doctor I saw told me the lymph node in my armpit was an infected and ingrown hair from shaving.... I've learned to never, ever believe everything I hear, even from doctors, and to do my own research....

I'm almost 100 % normal now, though.. ((okay, I said almost))~~~
 late™
Msg: 14
Hep C..
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:08:47 PM
What's that test tell you? Isn't that a different virus?

I think he meant "HCV".

In the case of the "C" type, there are different strains or "genotypes". Some are more resistant to treatment, others respond well. The treatment for Hep C is similar to chemo-therapy, especially in side effects. It is usually some kind of "pegylated interferon". I have a friend who had HCV (Hep-C)-type2b....... that's the least aggressive of the genotypes, he is now free of the virus after 6 months of (brutal) drug based treatment, the virus remains undetected in his system, ....once a person goes 6 months without the virus detected, the chance of it returning is 2%. It's not considered a "cure" by some, more of a "viral remission", but my friend has no doubts about how he feels about it.

20% of those who contract Hep C, ...."clear" the virus just by their own immune system.

Viral Hepatitus is the name for the family of viri "Hepatitus", A, B, C, D E etc.

A and B are "acute" and "easy" to catch, C is "chronic" contracted through "blood to blood", usually IV use, transfusions, and in some rare cases tattoo needles.

There are Non-Viral causes of hepatitus: alcoholism, Wilson’s disease, Alpha 1-Antitrypsin deficiancy, etc.

If you have friends or family with the HCV virus (Hep-C), or if you contract it, get the facts. More BS is spread about this affliction than almost any other.
 livewirehere
Msg: 15
Hep C..
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:04:50 PM
I have to admit that the doctor who finally diagnosed me said they'd probably never know exactly where I got it or how I got it... But, she told me I"d be feeling better in _____ amount of weeks, more than likely.... She was soooo right, but, didn't disclose the fact that it can take almost as long to recover as it took for the virus to ravage my body.... I'm an exercise fanatic, and when I couldn't exercise to deal with all the things I use it to deal with, I thought I was gonna die.... It can become very depressing... Plus, people are not kind when you're ill, long term, and I'm trying to still deal with that as well....
 late™
Msg: 16
Hep C..
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:24:27 PM
But, ...from what you are describing, ...you didn't have HCV, you had "acute" hepatitus, .....A or B probably.

These are not the same virus, they're contracted differently, manifest differently, treated differently......

Which virus are you talking about?
 justjazz
Msg: 17
Hep C..
Posted: 12/19/2005 11:00:46 PM
exactly what I meant to type Late...(I was pooped) thanks....you are absolutely correct about misinformation about hep C. Trust me I KNOW. Treatment with Pegasus and Copegus is ROUGH. (thats pegylated interferon and Ribavirin). This disease is very VERY complex. PLease seek the advice of a competent gastroenterologist/hepatologist.
 late™
Msg: 18
Hep C..
Posted: 12/19/2005 11:49:56 PM

It's so much better with facts!

gastroenterologist/hepatologist.

Yup
 robert_paulson
Msg: 19
Hep C..
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:09:00 AM
Rebetron and Pegetron are two of the drugs used on Hep C patients, with great success.
 WorldCitizen
Msg: 20
Hep C..
Posted: 12/20/2005 11:07:28 AM
Byrd: I injected alot of drugs when I was younger and was told when I got tested for AIDS and Hep C about 7 years ago that I had Hep C.

After my last test, the liver doctor told me that the only cure they still have for Hep C is interferon, but they found out they can use smaller doses. This is important because in larger doses, it's been known to make people feel very sick and suicidal. It's actually somewhat like chemotherapy.

He also told me that I only had 1100 parts of antibody per million in my blood or something like that, which made him feel like either I'd had a false positive in the first place or just my healthy living since has caused it to go into a natural state of remission.

He said Hep C is something that's just recently been discovered when doctors started asking why some people who had serum hepatitis never had it go away. At that point, they'd thought it was incurable, but it was inconsistent how it only seemed to have deadly consequnces for about 5% of those who had it.

Now, afew years down the road, they're finding out that alot of people don't even have it anymore, which leads them to different conclusions than they had when it was first discovered:

1) It seems most if not all people who die of it have had a history of strong drinking or drug usage which kept on going probably even after they knew they had or should have known they had liver damage. Mickey Mantle and Walter Payton come to mind as strong drinkers.

2) Unadvanced cases seem to be disappearing simply by improving one's health habits.

3) It evidently is not incurable.
 Byrd
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Hep C..
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:41:12 PM
Amazing yes, my friend is a drinker...Amazing you'll have me thinking about this allright...I had a friend I mean at the brink of death with hep C..Stopped drinking he's around 5 years later..Thank all of you very much for this information and please keep it comming...Thank You.
 justjazz
Msg: 22
Hep C..
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:38:06 AM
They pegylated interferon/Ribavirin treatment is the only thing out there that has much effect on this nasty virus. Even with this combination success rate of those treated is only around 40%!!....sorry, but thats the facts. That said, many people live a long life while infected with HCV. Much depends on the genotype etc. Hope this helps
 late™
Msg: 23
Hep C..
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:39:29 AM
Even with this combination success rate of those treated is only around 40%!!....sorry, but thats the facts.

As high as 80%, it depends on the genotype.

That said, many people live a long life while infected with HCV.

Barring complications (alcohol - drugs - secondary liver ailments), most die from something else.
 justjazz
Msg: 24
Hep C..
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:51:58 AM
yes, but that 80% success rate is from those that complete treatment. Most do not.
 wangdovish
Msg: 25
Hep C..
Posted: 8/15/2009 8:26:23 AM
anybody out there with hepc antibodies and wants a social date. I took the treatment and they say that I am cured. But since I have antibodies and body fluids I would like to have a dating site for those of us that are treated and non-detectable. I do not want to give this to anyone that is virus free. get in touch please I feel like I am living in a leper colony.
a nurse in Arkansas
then how do you get in touch with people if you can't have an e-mail address ?
do they type in your user name ? duh ?
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Hep C..