Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Men with long hair      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sister_wife2005
Msg: 1
Men with long hairPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Is it sinful for a man to have long hair? We are wondering if the scriptures speak against a man having long hair. Yahshua and many other's who took the Nazarite vow were commanded by Yahweh to never cut their hair. Many people have stated that there are no more Nazarenes and so men should cut their hair, rather than growing it long.

Steve & Kara
 late™
Msg: 2
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:10:24 PM

Is it sinful for a man to have long hair?

Please be more specific: To who?
 NeverCaNezzer
Msg: 3
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:14:40 PM
Paul the apostle spoke out against long hair for man.. Where does it say in the bible that Jesus took the Nazarite vows??
 ASB
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:27:12 PM
It isn't a sin for a man to have long hair. Didn't they have long hair back then anyway. Plus, it's pretty hot
 late™
Msg: 5
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:52:05 PM
Look what happened to Samson...............

sister_wife2005
Msg: 6
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:58:49 PM
Late, well it would seem that Christians frown on a man having long hair as a sin.

Kara
 sister_wife2005
Msg: 7
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:00:57 PM

Where does it say in the bible that Jesus took the Nazarite vows??

We will look into that and get back to you. There is a possibility that I was incorrect in the whether or not Yahshua took the Nazarite vow. I know that he was a Nazarene and it's possible that this was confused with the taking of the Nazarite vow, they are two different things.

Kara
 SweetTreat
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:03:45 PM

Late, well it would seem that Christians frown on a man having long hair as a sin.

Kara

Not sure what kind of christians you "roll with" but I've never heard any christians say that lol
 late™
Msg: 9
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:06:32 PM
Well, many people frown on a lot of things for no reason..... Men (in most cultures) had long hair throughout history. Trench warefare in "The Great War", made close-cropped or clean shaven heads a necessity due to lice and scabies infestations.

Not a whole lot of shampooing going on in the trenches........

Those who came back from the war started a trend. = pop cuture perpetuated it.

I don't live in a trench, sooooooo........

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts2677713.aspx

where 'effeminate' behaviours in men are frowned upon, hence confusing the 'long hair' thing with that?

That's too funny, ......those who think that cultural trends are static, I s'pose.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 10
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:09:36 PM

Not sure what kind of christians you "roll with" but I've never heard any christians say that lol

Ditto.

I've been in a wide variety of churches, and places of worship, and while some old codgers may not like it, I can't recall specific chapter and verse references being mentioned specifically against 'long hair'.
And yes, Sampson had long hair, that was where his strength even came from.

However, the OP may be thinking of the verses where 'effeminate' behaviours in men are frowned upon, hence confusing the 'long hair' thing with that?
 bluemystery
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:21:57 PM
I would think that long hair as an expression of vanity would be a sin, but to have long hair as a tradition of ones faith, would not be a sin. One would have to be very honest with ones-self, to determine the reason for the long hair...if one truly needs a reason.
It is true that the Christian churches I have involved myself with, seem to have a silent shunning of long hair, but this attitude seems to stem from the self righteous and opinionated anyway and this attitude exists everywhere in society.
The weak and insecure look for anything to judge. Long hair is yet another thing for them to attack, thereby avoiding their own minds.
I am not so sure if the historical Jesus had long hair or not. It is likely, given the culture, and that he was of a Jewish heritage....Is it described in the Bible, or in other historical accounts of Jesus? (Koran, or Talmud)...
I once wore my hair very long, and now I keep it shaved. To me, neither is a sin...but then there is the "mullet", a different story entirely, and a different thread!...
 river_loon
Msg: 12
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:19 PM
...but then there is the "mullet", a different story entirely, and a different thread!...

... lol ...for those who can't agree on the long and short of it...
 late™
Msg: 13
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:40 PM

I would think that long hair as an expression of vanity would be a sin,

Or short hair......

...but then there is the "mullet"

Not really a sin, more of an abomination, ....and then there's the whole spikey hair thing......
 NeverCaNezzer
Msg: 14
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:42:09 PM
And of course there is "hair of the dog"..hang on, give not what is holy unto the d...
 skypoetone
Msg: 15
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:12:07 PM
Every church I was involved with use to frown on longhair; now I am free and I don't give a monkey's Bollocks how long it gets, just keep it clean and healthy looking.
 Alive In Christ
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:40:58 PM
I don’t believe it is a sin for men to have long hair. For one thing, what is considered long to one person might not seem long to someone else. At what point do you draw the line? And more importantly, the same Biblical passage that discusses long hair on men also mentions that a woman’s long hair is her glory, and that it is a disgrace for her to cut her hair. People always complain about men with long hair, but no one ever seems to mention women with short hair. Besides that, this is also the same passage that says a woman must pray with her head covered. I believe that the whole passage is a discussion of the customs of that time, and not something that is a command of God.
 robert_paulson
Msg: 17
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:43:45 PM

Many people have stated that there are no more Nazarenes and so men should cut their hair, rather than growing it long.

I think that this is simply a non issue from a Christian standpoint. In fact I cant think of a single scriptural verse that would adress this issue one way or another.

Perhaps there is a school of thought tied into an almost Cromwellian aversion to vanity or some such thing, but I can't really adress that. It would certainly be a very extreme view.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 18
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:10:16 PM
Upon further investigation, came across these verses:

I Corinthians 11: 14, 15

Alive In Christ
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:08 PM
I Cor 11 is the passage I was referring to. If you read the the entire passage, it seems to state that if men can’t have long hair, women can’t have short hair, and that women would have to pray with their heads covered. While I see nothing wrong with a woman covering her head if she wants to, I don’t believe this is a command of God, and I don’t believe the long hair/short hair thing is a command of God, either.
 helen of troy
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:26:52 PM
I agree with asb, that they alll had long hair back then, including Jesus! I also find it sexy when a man's hair is slightly long at the back, at least to the collar. Men should not have to shave the back of their neck. Long hair is coming back in style and my two teenage boys are growing it down to the shoulders. They are very popular with the ladies.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 21
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:28:22 PM
^^^ I tend to agree, as Paul had many 'suggestions' and advice in his letters, but does not mean all were 'rules from above'.

Remember, he also suggests that it is better to remain single to have total devotion to God, but, he also basically says: "well, if ya HAVE to get married, well, ok, I suppose it's ok"...probably badly paraphrased, especially where it's kinda hard to get a voice inflection and tone for the meaning of that...
 robert_paulson
Msg: 22
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:45:56 PM
In the 16th verse of the chapter in question, this practice is ststed as being the accepted custom of the churches, rather than a command of God. AS CR pointed out this appears to allow wiggle room...but obviously there was some importance to this issue, or it would not have been adressed at all.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 23
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:50:12 PM
^^^^ Exactly....as while Paul may have not liked the idea of men wearing long hair, God had also commanded Sampson in the Old Testament NOT to cut his hair, or else he would lose his incredible strength.

Now of course, that does not mean now that all guys with long hair are 'strongmen'...

Why, take "Tiny Tim" for example...
 lady-fair
Msg: 24
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:02:53 PM
Long hair is hot. Keep the hair long. Yep. That's what i say...but then I'm no ethereal being...that being said, I haven't the foggiest. I'd hope not though....otherwise former beatles would be hot hot hot right now.....and we don't want that.
 Canadian Romantic
Msg: 25
Men with long hair
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:17:50 PM
Well lady fair, I can't say from a male perspective, but while maybe some guys with long hair may look hot, ya gotta admit, even on this site, there are some pretty scuzzy looking long haired guys too.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Men with long hair