Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Living with Psoriasis      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Babycherub
Msg: 1
Living with PsoriasisPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Since age of 14 I have learned to deal with the occasional blemish, but up until recently I didn't realise how hard it is on someone who has a severe outbreaks. Until now! After my son was delivered via C-section I was one of those unlucky few who suffered a severe infection around the incision. In turn this upset my T cells which causes the overproduction of new skin cells which results in the outbreak of Psoriasis. The one thing I am noticing is that there is an unawareness in society of this specific genetic disease(Psoriasis). It leaves the person who suffers, feeling alone even embarassed. Can you imagine a child having to go through his or her childhood suffering from this disease. It wasn't until recently that my skin condition played a huge factor on my love life, but now for some reason I have this flashing hazard light which scares alot of guys away, because esthetically it doesn't look appealing to the eye. And the one thing that will clear this plaqueing problem, is overly priced, not covered by medical, and hard to come by. Go figure. IS there anyone out in this world of online dating personals that suffers from this disease. Or men out there that look for beauty within.
 SmileyInKamloops
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:59:12 PM
I think there are more people out there who have it but don't admit it, especially not on this site. My only severe outbreak happened after I went back to university four years ago. The stress, hypothyroidism, and my other autoimmune disorders, brought out this outbreak on my limbs. Thankfully, only on my limbs. Still trying to get rid of it. I hope a guy will not judge me by this skin disorder. Afterall, if he does, then he is losing out on one heck of a great catch. Even if I say so myself. Unfortunately, too many men are looking for the ultimate female. Even if they ain't so hot themselves. If they looked a little deeper, they might find themselves a lot happier.

About three years back I dated someone for the first time who had psoriasis also. I didn't know anything about it then. It didn't stop me from dating him, but then us females are different. We can look beyond the outer image.
 tricky111
Msg: 3
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 1/9/2006 8:56:47 PM
a fiend i have got told to go to a chinese herbalist,took 3 monthes but it finally cleared up,after a few additions to the original tea never looked back.flairs up when she is stressed so she took up tai chi,yoga and learned to de stress,worked miracles with her,tasted like pee but worked!
 ash73
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 10/25/2006 3:32:46 PM

I hope a guy will not judge me by this skin disorder. Afterall, if he does, then he is losing out on one heck of a great catch. Even if I say so myself. Unfortunately, too many men are looking for the ultimate female. Even if they ain't so hot themselves. If they looked a little deeper, they might find themselves a lot happier.

I second that, but it also applies to women!!!!! I've been told by one girl that I really liked that she thought that going out with my would be like going out with a "rotting corpse". That really crushed any remaining speck of confidence I had, and so now I isolate myself from the world as much as I can...I hide my feelings, cover up in case people look and stare at me (I AM paranoid about it now...my P is VERY noticeable, covering a large proportion of my face, and somewhere in the region of 80% of my body!)

Just wanted to add that women also look for the "ultimate" and they can be just as cruel!
 bolotye
Msg: 5
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 10/26/2006 6:18:41 AM
Essential fatty acids are supposed to be outstanding for this condition.
 xxSweetasCandyxx
Msg: 6
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 11/24/2006 9:16:28 AM
I remeber when I first got it when I was 13 years old. The abuse I used to get from the boys at school becuase they thought I was diseased. I took it really bad and was in and out of sleepless nights because I didnt understand what it was.

I use to cry because it caused to much pain when I had to get my mother to apply the cream, because it was all over my back were I could not reach it. And in the summer when I first had it, i had to cover myself in long sleeved tops and was always overheated.

Im now nearly 20 years old and it has started coming up again. I get it every year now, more or less on schduele Lol. Near Xmas and what a brilliant preseant to be given. I have tried everything I can imagine but nothing really works.

The funny thing is, when it decides to disapear for some time, I decide that when I go out ill wear short dresses to clubs and anything to show the clear skin I have when I have it. And people stare and thing "how can she wear that" and I always say to people - "you wont have what you have now for very long, so appreciate it while you have it!".

The thing is i will never get over the fact that i have it once a year fro about 6 months (and servere). But I know that when its gone I will appreciate ever minute that I have "perfect" skin.

Remember to keep your head up high. x
 bolotye
Msg: 7
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 11/24/2006 9:49:16 AM
Adding to my above post...

There seems to be a link between toxin buildup in an unhealthy colon and the continued outbreaks of psoriasis.

perhaps trying a decent colon cleanse will help. It certainly cant hurt.
 she-lla
Msg: 8
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 10/15/2007 11:34:33 PM
I see alot off people on the street not hiding it. U shouldnt be too upset. My mother had it nothing cured P but some sunlight, see water and prescribed creams seems to ease condition. Avoidance of alcohol , procesed food and relaxsation is good too. There are diferent tipes of P my cousin has a mild one. If u find hard to find a partner ,doesnt mean it is only because of skin condition maby u havent find the right person ,same like many people cant find one even people who have been blessed with nice skin or something else, so dont let that to discourage u , keep looking there is someone for all of us. Statistic shows that 40 th man in the world has P. Maybe if u put in your profile that u have it u could get response from people who also have it, or people who wouldnt mind, just a sugestion.
wish u all the best
 countrytat
Msg: 9
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 12/19/2007 1:02:09 PM
ok i KNOW its horrible BUT... tanning helps.... the uv rays help.... i have it, mostly on my head, and mildly but as soon as the weather turns cold my skins TOTALLY changes... but the tanning does help, ALSO.....the meds help... if you cant afford the meds, try peanut oil on the affected area!........if you have no peanut oil, any kind of oil may help.... try tea tree oil also!
 average_anomaly
Msg: 10
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 12/21/2007 5:15:27 PM
baby - yes please see a holistic pratitioner, traditional medicine hasn't gotten very far with this subject. I didn't have psoriasis but I had to result in homepathic remedys for other issues I was having and I am so happy I did!
 countrytat
Msg: 11
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/11/2008 11:56:02 AM
i get psoriasis, and luckily its on my head, and its not that bad, dermasmooth the prescription is the best that i have used, also, i KNOW its horrible, but UV rays are proven to help, so if your up for the idea of a tanning bed, i would recommend trying that when you are having a bad breakout.
 Freesia1975
Msg: 12
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/11/2008 3:14:45 PM
TANNING BOOTH, TANNING BOOTH, TANNING BOOTH!!!

I get it once in a while on my scalp and the ONLY thing that gets rid of it ...and quite quickly is tanning.

Good Luck...just remember to cover your face...we don't want wrinkles!
 normaldude
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/11/2008 4:00:46 PM
I dont know which is worse... Excema or Psoriasis. I got excema first on my hands and then it slowly started popping up randomly all over. I saw lots of doctors and dermatologists. Tried many different creams(none really worked) took polls like prednosone(sp) which did clear it up but you cant stay on it long or it messes you up. Some of the creams turned out to be implicated in skin cancer too. One dermatologist wanted me to use a special tanning booth but nothing really worked.
I have always considered myself a stable person but after spending many nights scratching my skin off in my sleep I could relate and understand how people chose suicide. Complicating things I work with my hands so they naturally take a beating. Doctors blamed my job, environment, diet, stress, laundry soap, shampoos, clothing types, clothing material, pets.....you name it. I tried that skin zinc stuff but it didnt help either. Bottom line was nobody seemed to be able to fix me up. In dersperation I was referred to an old guy in an old style Apothocary. He took a look at me and said to load up on omega 3-6-9 and milk thistle. Try to get the best quality supplements you can. Some of the discount brands are made from base ingredients out of china and may do more harm than good. The omega 3-6-9 must be taken in large amounts maybe 10 to 20 capsules at 1200mg. It took about 3 weeks but finally I am pretty much ok all over. I know it works because sometimes I slack off on taking the omega,s and sure enough it starts to come back. I am not saying this will work for anyone else but it pretty much saved my skin!!!! I think using the omegas could possibly benefit anyone with many different types of skin problems. I have been using them now for at least two years and all ok.
 Happy Camper 2008
Msg: 14
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/11/2008 9:11:51 PM
Zinc.

My brother gets rid of his by taking zinc tablets.
 Two Hawks
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/12/2008 2:59:18 PM
Two Hawks takes the Talking Stick:

My mom had this back in the 50's before there were any creams and ointments for it. Her doctor told her to get a sun lamp and use it. She did this and it worked. It didn't get totally rid of it, but it did work to lessen the sizes of the infected spots. So a tanning booth will work for this...but we must be careful. Too much exposure in a tanning booth can lead to another problem. Skin cancer. I know this for a fact. Been there...done that. Had three run ins with this all because I wanted the "golden tan". Don't do that anymore!

Two Hawks passes the Talking Stick.
 Sidi37
Msg: 16
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/12/2008 3:32:25 PM
I have Psoriasis. I was told by a hair dresser one day to try Neutrogena TGel. I went in there to get my hair cut because my own clippers gave up and i walked out with what seems like a cure. Sunlight and short, really short, hair helps. I shave mine all off as i dont have any that i can do anything with and i don't do comb overs.
If you can resist the urges t scratch that will help keeping it from getting inflamed. My frien Josh in high school had it all over his face and the poor guy almost had no confidence left. I was lucky and like most of us only got in on my scalp. Others are not so lucky .
 Babycherub
Msg: 17
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 4/17/2008 10:45:55 AM
Sorry that its taken me so long to put another post online busy being a single parent, right now my psoriasis flares have been up and down, I am taking u vb treatments which cost a pretty penny so I am looking into founding a non profit facility that has the machines readily available buy doctors re feral with a walk in fee as well hopefully I hit no red tape in starting it up. As well as diet plays a huge part so I have invested in a professional juicer and am incorporating fresh squeezed juices into my diet three times a week. And I try to use natural lotions so currently I used Coconut Oil on my skin instead of store bought.
 satx78218
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 4/17/2008 11:45:00 AM
The UVB creates Vit D3 in the skin. I have friend in Canada who gets psoriasis bad "where the sun don't shine" in the months when he can't play golf, but it disappears on his legs, arms, hands, neck when he plays golf. Vit D3 is not water soluble, so you may increase bio-availability by dissolving it in warm coconut oil. As stated above, omega-3 oil from marine sources like cod liver oil, fish oil, krill oil is supposed to help, and is anti-inflammatory. Psoriasis is an inflammation so switch to diet of non-inflammatory foods, and away from pro-inflammatory stuff like corn, corn oil, sugars, products high-fructose corn syrup is a) healthy for everyone and 2) helps reduce all chronic inflammation. Chronic inflammation seems to have become recently seen as the core cause of many diseases, including cancers, CVD, diabetes, kidney disease.

You can have blood tests for bio-markers of inflammation like C-reactive protein, the cytokines, the interleukins to discover if you have inflammation, and then to monitor if your anti-inflammatory tactics are working.

Strenuous exercise is also anti-inflammatory. Just read an article today that said that said, counter-intuitively, exercise helps reduce pain from osteo-arthritis. And of course rheumatoid arthritis is .... inflammation from an auto-immune attack.

There are plants, phtyo-chemicals, which reduce inflammation like ginger, capsaicin. Lots of information on the Web.

Diet and exercise! How original!
 LabLite
Msg: 19
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 5/28/2008 9:28:15 PM
I have Psoriasis, I think my first out break was when I was about 37. At first I was upset and hid it, but I think once I realized it isnt 'going' away, I changed my attitude and wore shorts and tank tops. Got alot of stares but mostly I got alot of "what is that?" Once you explain it most people are Ok with it.
I went for treatments but usually quit after a month cause the UV rays are burning places that dont see any sun and it hurts.
I usually do tanning booths and find staying away from dairy and beer really helps.(as my pic shows me drinking beer) LOL
Lately, it has been spreading like crazy so I'm gonna do the treatments again.

What bugs me the most is the itching and dead skin everywhere-UGH!
I find most of the creams are a complete waste of time and just end up ruining my clothes.
 chuckcb
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:29:07 AM
I feel your pain I also have P covering a large portion of my body, scalp, neck,chest,abdomen,sides,back,buttocks,and upper thighs.
I have found that being open and honest with women about the condition is the best method.
I think working on our own problems and self esteem is the real issue.Let's face it do you want to be with a woman who would say that dating a person with P is like dating a rotting corpse?,it says a lot about her and you.
You are right both sexes can be cruel but I have to agree with the ladies on this one, I think men who are more into the physical appearance are less understanding.
 chuckcb
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/9/2009 7:45:21 AM
I love this post...
I am a personal trainer I have been working out and playing sports for over 24 years.this person is correct I have P,and Arthritis,and I have had gout flare ups in the past.but my Ortho Dr was amazed that at 32 at the time,I was able to play semi pro football with the arthritis that I had in multiple joints. I think being active and staying at a healthy weight helps so many medical conditions. and you do not need to be a gym rat but find activity's that you enjoy! your more likely to continue to exercising that way.good luck and remember keep your head up.
 Ciaobaby77
Msg: 22
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/25/2009 4:37:56 PM
I applaud all you Beautiful people who have posted on this thread as I believe that education plays such a great deal when it comes to P and any other Auto Immune Disease....I think less are receptive to Psoriasis as it is visible and attacks the skin cells(overproductive skin cells) and do not understand what it actually is. Most perceive it as a contagious disease which by the way it is not in nay way shape or form... Stress, injury and Genetics have been linked as actual cause, however others believe it to be allergy related, food consumption or from alcohol/smoking. Whatever the actual cause(as many are different) I would like to stress the importance of how no one is exempt at anytime from developing any type of Auto Immune type disease whether it runs in a gene pool or not. Sad but so very true I can say that I know several people with at least one or two Auto Immune diseases and they have no family history of one whatsoever. My best friend developed Alopecia out of nowhere and lost ALL of her body hair including her head and it never grew back. My mom developed Lupus which affects the joint's like MS and RA and can also affect the skin similar to Psoriasis and have possible hair loss affects. Another friend in her early thirties developed Chrone's disease recently and has been hospitalized several times since and the list goes on. It not only breaks my heart but angers me when some are so arrogant towards others because they just don't understand. Compassionate is key as this can happen to you or someone you know and love dearly. Psoriasis is very misunderstood and still pushed under the rug as it doesn't exist when the reality of it all is there are over 1 million peole diagnosed with it each year whether it is a mild or severe case. What gives? Perhaps times today or much more stressful than before but whatever the case may be just know that is does exist and no one should ever be condemned for something that is out of thier control...
 monalee1
Msg: 23
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/25/2009 8:15:26 PM
hi.. sorry about this situation , your point is well taken.... you have not asked for advice yet I feel for your situation and I would like to suggest that if you are on dairy products or antibiotics that both of these are known to aggitate skin conditions.. blessings for health and understanding, warmly Mona
 end600
Msg: 24
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/26/2009 7:56:24 PM
i have it from my chest to my ankles but in no way am i embarassed. It's in no way something that defines me. I don't have out breaks often but when i do they are major!!! I got my first one at 21 when i got my first tattoo. Freaked me out i thought i got an infection. I must say tanning is the best hands down way to get rid of it. I found that scrubbing down in the shower before going tanning really helped. I did go to the doctor and get a script for tanning too so either put it on your insurance or write it off on your taxes.
 boloteee
Msg: 25
Living with Psoriasis
Posted: 2/27/2009 4:01:11 PM
Sarsaparilla Root is well known as a blood purifier. The compounds in this herb, saponins, are great for Psoriasis. It also has anti- inflammatory properties.

Burdock Root not only detoxifies the liver but helps to reduce skin allergies and has anti inflammatory properties as well.

Omega 3's. Try a brand called Carlsons. Nothing beats an adequate daily intake of Omega 3. Their healthy benefits go on for miles. There is mucho information on omega 3's helping reduce Psoriasis breakouts.

Im sure theres quite a few more goodies out there that help, but this is what I have off the top of my noggin.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Living with Psoriasis