Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Match.com Billing Fraud -anyone else?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pagoda
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Match.com Billing Fraud -anyone else?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I signed up to match.com free trial and cancelled it within 10day trial. After the trial, last night I logged into account and went to send someone email. It gave me no warnings or anything let me send the email, then showed a subscription confirmation with billing amount and showed I was being charged $29.99

I never accepted this charge and they automatically charged me without my permission. I called them up and tried to fix the probblem and they act like I voluntarily joined and they won't give me my money.

So now I spent about an hour or so contacting various entities to let others know and to get my money back; BBB, FTC, State Attorney General and of course doing a chargeback with the credit card company.

This is outright fraud and I'm thinking of doing a class action lawsuit against them. Anyone know how to do this and wanna join?

It is nice knowing that there is a free alternative out there like Plentyoffish where you don't have to deal with things like this.
 Belfast Child
Msg: 2
Match.com Billing Fraud -anyone else?
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:10:57 PM
There's been a thread similar to this concerning Match.com and another dating site; lavalife, I think.

You might want to further a search!
 Wildcard74
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:11:51 PM
Match.com is one of the worst dating websites I've had the displeasure of having a trial membership. If you are a trial member, you can't even see who the email is from. It is very proprietary, and most of it's members are from adjascent websites, such as cupid.com.

cupid.com is a much better website, and not nearly as proprietary.
 pagoda
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:22:18 PM
I spent a couple hours searching for info on Match.com and the various law authorities that regulate laws for it. Here are some links to the places you need to file your complaints with.

http://www.dallas.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=21002176 THis is the BBB on Match.com. As you can see, no suprise lots of billing complaints.

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01 This is FTC link to file a complaint

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/forms/cpd/cpd_getcounty.php This is the State Attorney Gernerals complaint link. Match.com is in Dallas county

And you can call your credit card company to dispute charges. Most merchants account banks will charge their merchants a fee for each chargeback they have. So Match.com might be expected to pay a fine of up to possibly $60 per person for $29 disputed charge.

Do these things and post your complaints to others. Fraudulent behavior will not be tolerated!!
 ParadoxDreamer
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:35:26 PM
There is some website that you can sign up online, but you have to manually call them, talk to an operator, basically get some speal about how you should stay, and argue your way out of the sitaution before they take you off their soon to be paid customer. It sucks, I hate those websites! Word to the wise, never sign up for free if it involves giving your credit card number. If that's the case, they will find a way to bill you no matter what.
 Travelor227
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:38:47 PM
READ THIS AND LEARN

I use the shop safe feature of my credit card lots offer it. I go online takes 5 seconds. It gives you a different number expiration and 3 digit code. YOU can pick the expiration and limit the amount of the charge.
They can charge me the first fee and need my permmision to auto charge each time! Think that is a good idea or what? This is good for free credit reports and other things where it is free but you have to cancel. Be a power consumer!!!!!!!!!!
 apostle
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2006 2:53:04 PM
A better thing would to not use credit cards on the Net.
If it requires a credit card, they can bite me. I'll send a
money order or use PayPal.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/4/2006 4:29:02 PM
I think it was a pretty good idea (shop safe feature).
 phos
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:06:53 PM
I didn't have billing problems with Match.com. I just signed up as a regular member, bypassing the free trial. I was sure to cancel my membership before my membership expired so that they wouldn't automatically renew me.
 Majestic_Lizard_Returns
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/5/2006 11:34:36 AM
So how productive was that investment? Didn't you find it a little annoying that when you sent messages the women didn't get your real email address and you didn't get theirs? That site has a bot that automatically replaces your email address in your messages with whatever(at)match(dot)com from whatever(at)your_real_email.com so that the other person doesn't get your email address.
 liplicker4u2uu
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:17:14 PM
Hey guys this is really helpfull.I will learn from your toubles.
 Travelor227
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:58:06 PM
You guys are right you can send and email. The send a second with the my email in the subject line and the email inside. Take advantage of the system. Imagine being the only guy the women can reply to?
 Pamperme62
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:24:15 PM
HELLO YES I TOO WAS TAKEN BY MATCH.COM THEY SAID IT WAS AUTOMATIC RENEWAL AFTER I EMAILED THEM TO ASK WHY I WAS CHARGED AGAIN WHEN I STOPPED MY MEMBERSHIP. AND THEY STILL HAVE MY PROFILE ON THERE TODAY.

LORI
 Walkingwithu
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:06:54 PM
^^^^^^^^
me too. I have cancelled so many times and they still send me my matches which I cannot respond to. What a waste of money.
 pagoda
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2006 12:47:06 PM
Well, I charged it back with my credit card company and did all the other things I mentioned I would do.

I got a letter from the BBB in Dallas that they are investigating but haven't received one yet from the Texas Attorney General or the FTC.
 lazyboy
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/28/2006 1:14:38 PM
Mine was a different experience, although what you guy's are discussing has
been widly reported in newspaper's in Vancouver.

I enjoyed the multitude of emails I rec'd from all over the world every day...although
most were more interested in moving to Canada than with me.

But I found my gf there, and had no billing issues with them at all.
 flipper17
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:21:57 PM
I had the exact same thing happen to me with Match.com. I was a member for almost a year while living in the UK because it seemed to a better site there than Lavalife. Well I cancelled when I moved back home but received an email offering the 3 day trial. I had also received a few emails from people since cancelling that I hadn't been able to read so I thought "why not" and went for the 3 day trial but cancelling it immediately. Like you I was charged after the 3 days. When I called I told them that I had followed the procedure and cancelled before the time was up. They said it was company policy that they don't do refunds only partial refunds. They said the best they could do was only charge me for the month. I think what happened is that when I was signing up for the trial it also asks you which membership you would purchase should you want to join...I think it was defaulted to the 6 month which is the charge that showed up on my card. It was so annoying!!!! In the end they did give me a partial refund but it's beside the point!! I feel your frustration!!
 bojangles4u2
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:52:38 PM
somespamsite!!!!!!!!!!!! Did a free search and it said there were over 250 members in a fifty mile radius. Joined for one month after filling out the profile which was supposed to be like ten bucks or something. Did a search and it said there was not one single member within a 100 mile radius of me. Called them up to cancel my account and found I had been charged over 130.00 bucks and wasn't in the site but ten minutes max. For dam sure they didn't get a dime of my money.
 savorychef4u
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:03:55 PM
I joined match.com not thinking that there was a site that compared to the so-called successful matches they claim to have had. But, I mailed them a check for the payment and waited a week for the check to clear my bank to use their service. Why? Because a friend of mine told me they were ripped off by match.com and went they confronted the company they played stupid and gave them an extended credit and not a refund. So, I decided to go ahead and mail the payment in instead of doing it online....

I also cancelled my membership last week with nearly two months to go. Why? Because I am too busy to play games with people and my experience with the members of match.com is that most of them are phonies and gameplayers. Sorry, not referring to you former members but just the people I encountered on match.com
 blonddolly
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/2/2006 5:00:19 PM
I signed up for Match.com several months ago,went with Bill Me Late..I tried to cancel my account 2 days later,they said I couldn't,I never logged on to this site..They are still billing me for $99.95,WHAT A RIP-OFF...Blonddolly
 Popsicleman
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/2/2006 5:21:28 PM
Match.Com is Scam spelled by the lexDICKsick or is that Dyslexic? They are a rip off and if you are on there you should leave now and if you aren't you shouldn't go. And if you stay? Call me when you find out you should have listened to us and let me watch you kick yourself with my popcorn, hotdog and soda from the front row, please? Okay? Promise?
 Draconious
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2006 12:25:57 PM
Yea match.com is a rip big time...

The fake emails I got, were from "non registered user" lol... so they did not even have a profile, and all 5 were the same text... lol.

They also billed me the 25$ for the free 3 day trial... dont give them your CCard... I waited till i found 10 girls I felt I would get along with, none replied to the emails I sent in the "trial"... there is one there I wish I could message now, but oh well I aint paying again. and they keep deleting half of my profile text when I try to hide a way to contact me lol.

I use to use tickle/emode.com for free all the time... they sort of had a bug in the regitration on their site, and I could use it to email anyone I wanted with out paying LOL :), but the bastages fixed it since then... although the first 3 or so times u wink... they let u click an ad, and u get full use of the site for a day, this only worked 3 times tho...

this is my first post on this site...
 Major_Havock
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/9/2009 9:43:47 PM
The same exact thing happened to me and I would like to get involved in a class action lawsuit since it happened to me 3 times. Iwll donate all of any money won to charity. I just want these fraud artists to pay. They also used a dummy profile to contact me to get me to sign up again and when I did and made contact I received no response. My membership lapsed again the the same person contacted me again. I ended up getting a date with her and got her to confess that she indeed worked for match.com and was hired to lure people back to pay so they could answer their emails she sent to waiting victims. A man on the west coast brought lawsuit for the same reason yet lost in court because he was alone in the suit and did not have proof. I would love to see a large Las Vegas class action law firm pick this case up. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is complete outright fraud on a scale the online dating community has ever seen.
 PythonPerson
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/8/2009 9:12:42 AM
For class actions try www.merchantlaw.com.
 Gdaddy690
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2012 3:06:22 PM
They are absolutely turning on their own auto-renewal billing! This is the 3rd time they have done this to me! I haven't signed up for anything in over a year, have had to call them 3 times, each time verifying that auto-renewal is off. Each time they charge for a different duration and amount. At one point they charged for a full year, a couple month later charged for 3 months and then at the end of the year charge for individual months, NONE of which I signed up for.
I absolutely loath these theives!
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Match.com Billing Fraud -anyone else?