Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should you call a guy or let him call you      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lori993977
Msg: 1
Should you call a guy or let him call you Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
We always meet people all over and then they exchange phone numbers....I am a little rusty...what happens if you call him first ---- will he respect you or should you wait and loose him if does not call?????
 LaurenB
Msg: 2
Should you call a guy or let him call you
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:05:34 PM
Call him. It will let him know that you are a woman who
takes the initiative sometimes. Men love that. They respect it, too.
It takes pressure off their backs. A presure-free man is a strong, confident and loving man. Trust me on that. It will make you stand out from the rest.
Call him !!!
 ruff_ruff
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:14:56 PM
I appreciate a woman who is willing to call first. It shows me that she can make a decision and doesn't need me to make them for her.
 luvgoddess
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:20:02 PM
I hate to completely combat the last post. She does have a very valid point. Men do like a woman who takes the first step...SOMETIMES. I just find that in that situation if I make the call, if I ask to see him etc. it ends up being a one way street. but they are so biologically into the chase that whenever I've taken "initiative" i end up on the losing side of the battle. If a guy really wants too talk to me, he'll call.
 soulinparaphrase
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:27:35 PM
"If a guy really wants too talk to me, he'll call."

Not true.
 gentlespirit
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:37:54 PM
You know, this question has been around for ages, and will probably survive for ages more...
The "old-fashioned" way, was for the guy to call the female, and go from there....(imo, it's still the best way) Unfortunately, in today's times, much of what is now considered "quaint" or old fashioned has gone by the wayside, and that includes manners....

"Should you wait and lose him if he does not call?"......I wouldn't call that losing, I'd call it a blessing...if you gotta do the work, he's not such a great catch, and you probably wouldn't want him anyway....
Gentlespirit
 soulinparaphrase
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:42:18 PM
"I wouldn't call that losing, I'd call it a blessing...if you gotta do the work, he's not such a great catch, and you probably wouldn't want him anyway...."

Care to explain why that reasoning doesn't apply the other way around, Gentlespirit?
 Redstuff
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:44:09 PM
If you're interested call him... what's the worse thing that can happen?
 cheech1313
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:44:20 PM
if you want to call him, call him. if you don't...don't.
if you do and he thinks less of you...he's a loser and you are too good for him.
if you don't, you may be missing out on "the guy"
if you do and he is happy about it...everyone wins.

to recap...by my odds...if you call, you have a 50/50 shot at something. if you don't, 100% of your odds rest with him which could mean a 0% chance of anything.

i have no clue if any of that makes sense or if it even matters...i like it when girls call me!!

In my opinion, if you want love to work, you have to eliminate any chance for the guy to screw it up.

CALL HIM
 GeorgieLeopard
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/16/2005 4:47:34 PM
If he has your interest and you think there is potential, I see no reason why you can't call him first. Think of how thrilled you are when someone calls you! He'll feel the same--special--when you make the first step.
 bearbrain
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:00:34 PM
I suggest calling him. Ask him if he still respects you. If he does, you're in luck. If he doesn't, run like hell, because if that is all it takes to lose his respect you're in for a lifetime of hellish denigration.
 squeak365
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:03:48 PM
Ya got his number? Call him woman.....
 MDBiker
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:10:52 PM
Definetly call him. The whole thinking that if a guy doesn't call you that he's a loser or is being rude is narrow minded and sexist at best. Come-on now, its 2005! Men do respect and like when a woman calls them first. Why in the world would we think otherwise? A good relationship is a two way street, if he never calls you, I'd say drop him. But it should work the other way around too. If you never call him then you're sending the message that you're not interested, even if that's not your intention.
 starcharmer1
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:21:54 PM
I agree, If he is into you he will call. Men like the chase like a cat who chases the mouse.
Once the cat captures the mouse the cat becomes bored.
So let him do the chasing.
Same thing with a coffee date if you don't hear back forget it move on. He/she is just not interested. Star
 Ender
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:46:07 PM
If you want to call him, then call him. If not, then don't. I honestly don't understand why folks always stress about this stuff.
 TommyGirl84
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:49:19 PM
Ha....well if he agrees to a # exchange then I don't see why he would be offended if you actually used it(especially hearing all the continuing complaints about how some are tired of the dial tone tune lol) I mean otherwise why bother with a double exchange it should have just been you giving yours.
Though it is advised to ask about timing so you kind of have an idea about when a good time would be to call. (Knowing when ones at work, when is the cut off call time for those early to bed early to risers etc.)

Just my opinion though
PEACE!!
 cutieforyou2
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/16/2005 5:52:21 PM
I used to call them...MEN. Now i have learned not to. Read the book "He's just not that into you " it is VERY empowering, enlightening and truthful. Take away from it what you wish. I am realizing that men like to have a chase... even if it seems like stupid games. Only because when we (ladies) lay our cards on the table and act like either person can do the persuing, they arent as responsive.
I was told from a male friend,that a great date last night will not have the outcome I desire because I didnt act like I had several guys on the line. OH brother...!
 Coolkoala
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/16/2005 6:12:00 PM
I say, when you get their phone number, call the guy on Thursday if he doesn't call you by Wednesday night. Sometimes ESPN mesmerizes a man's mind. We forget everything. The reason to call on a Thursday is because it's not too late to make weekend plans with him, and it's not too early to be taking him away from ESPN. When it comes to dating, some men like the chase, some don't, and some want the woman to meet him halfway. I'm the type of guy that wants a woman to meet halfway. The reason is because I respond to feedback. If the woman is showing interest in me, I have to make sure her feelings are genuine towards me. That's why if a woman doesn't make the initiative to make plans with me, then most likely, she's not totally into me. If she's not totally into me, then end of story. A relationship will never work.
 soulinparaphrase
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/16/2005 6:14:10 PM
Cutieforyou, I suggest that that approach will only apply for some men. Personally, if I thought a woman had several men on the line, I would be less interested for various reasons.

I also don't like a chase, simple because it's a game and thus a warning of what may come.
 ramcharger
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2005 6:17:26 PM
Call Him, I love it when a lady calls. Makes my day too!
 jimi77
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/16/2005 6:24:47 PM
I dont see anything wronge with it. it gives the guy a green light to proceed.. but if your calling all the time then yea. it might send the wronge signal.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/16/2005 7:03:20 PM
Not sure where you are at with this Gentlemen.
But if this is gonna be the very first call, you should make it using a Calling Card for your Safety.

I am realizing that men like to have a chase... even if it seems like stupid games. Only because when we (ladies) lay our cards on the table and act like either person can do the persuing, they arent as responsive.
I was told from a male friend,that a great date last night will not have the outcome I desire because I didnt act like I had several guys on the line.

So, you want to read a book on how to become a better Game Player?

And that's exactly the kind of Treatment you'll get in return.

Try some simple basic honesty and good communications, you might just be pleasantly surprised who will come up the walk.

charmingandsweet
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/16/2005 7:32:22 PM
Personally for myself...I will call the guy first because sometimes they are waiting to see if we are really interested and as for the good ole days, yes, it was only the guy who called first. Today I feel if I do not take that first step, it could be a great potential for me, and out the door it goes! After this though, I may wait for the guy to call first because than it tells me he is interested.

After a while if it is just me calling, well, than I would have to rethink the whole situation because once in a while it is nice for a guy to call me first. If they do not call me, than I begin to wonder why and may continue my walk elsewhere. That be via email or a call than I know they are interested if they contact me. If not and I have seen them a few times, then that would leave me questioning the ole situation. And yes as ticket says, grab a phone card or star 67 it, that way there it is still anonymous. For me , I am lucky because mine is unlisted even though if a guy loses it, he may not find me again!

charming
 jimi77
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/16/2005 7:34:19 PM
Ticket and his words of wisdom.. they just go together -good post.
 Canavera
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/16/2005 8:33:05 PM
"In my opinion, if you want love to work, you have to eliminate any chance for the guy to screw it up."

Dude, that's rich and oh so true.

-Cana
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Should you call a guy or let him call you