Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How many 40 year old men still live with their mother?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Football Mom
Msg: 1
How many 40 year old men still live with their mother?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am just curious because I dated a guy for 2 1-2 years and the one thing that bothered was that he still lived with his mother. It's not like he moved out then moved back in again - he never lived without her. That's one of the reasons our relationship failed - the inability to make a committment to me, (and he had no clue about being around kids) - Of course there are disabled men who do but this guy had a good job, making good money but couldn't let go of mommie's apron - a true momma's boy!
 whoville
Msg: 2
How many 40 year old men still live with their mother?
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:33:44 PM
I moved out just befoe I turned 15. I worked my way through education to my degree without needing a student loan. I have never had a roomate in all this time.

How long a child lives with mommy and daddy can really define how successful they are going to be in life. (flame away with your exceptions, the point is still true)
 Football Mom
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:46:07 PM
I admire men like you; men who know what life is all about. I'm sure when his mother passes away it will be that much more painful for him. I found out he is dating a woman in her 40's who also lives with her mother so maybe the 4 of them could live together! lol.
 BambiWoods
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:47:09 PM
^15 is kind of young to be moving out...sometimes we are not given a choice which seems like this might have been the case with you (for whatever reasons)...but a man in his 40's should not be living with his parents unless he is taking care of a sick parent which is by all means acceptable.
 whoville
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:50:25 PM

sometimes we are not given a choice which seems like this might have been the case with you (for whatever reasons)

My parents said to me for the millionth time the old "if you are going to live in this house, it will be by our rules, or you can leave". So, I got a job as a telemarketer after school, found a nice little room for rent and moved out. Surprised the hell out of the parents. I lived on the $0.99 Big Gulp & cheeseburger deal at 7-Eleven.

My brother moved out when he was 31.
 Eponymouss
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:59:26 PM
I've actually lived with my Mother a couple of times in my 30's. It's embarrassing to admit, but my job has made me a bit of a gypsy.

In parts of Europe (Spain specifically) it's normal for men in their late 30's to live with parents these days. But, in America it does seem a little creepy doesn't it? I'm amazed you actually dated the guy. It put a big damper on my love life. More reason I moved back out as soon as possible!
 Football Mom
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:00:13 PM
Moving out on your own is a little young, but as long as you're responsible, not partying all the time, and learning the value of a dollar, then it could benefit you later in life. So many young kids move out because they can't live by their parents rules, end up on the streets doing drugs and committing crimes. But at 40, well actually 42 now - there's just no excuse. His mother is perfectly healthy.
 whoville
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:02:26 PM
Maybe they are having a Jerry Springer relationship.
 Football Mom
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:04:43 PM
It is amazing how I dated the guy - but there was something about him and I figured that when our relationship got serious he would take that big step. I'll never forget the time when, we were at a party near his place and I lived a good 30 km from him, so he actually had to call his mom to ask her if I could sleep over and she said no! I got annoyed and laced into him about how it's time for him to get the hell out on his own. Whenever I brought it up his reply was always "its not your concern"
 Football Mom
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:52 PM
Maybe they are having a Jerry Springer relationship

LOL! Then it would be a threesome because his 34 year old sister lives there too.
 Eponymouss
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:59 PM
That's like FIVE red flags right there!
 whoville
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/2/2006 7:06:59 PM
You better stop talking about him, because you are making yourself look real bad by default.
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:08:51 PM
I never saw this before I moved to South Carolina. I am amazed at how many guys here still live with mommy and daddy well into their 40's. It's second only to my amazement at how many have never been out of the state. Different strokes I guess.
 Byrd
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:26:24 PM
I wish I did she makes the best popperkosh!
 pen name
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:26:38 PM
In many places around the world it is normal for extended family to all live together. If it doesn't indicate an inability to provide for oneself, or pose any other problems, I think it's fine. I have lived on my own since the age of 15 and am glad of it, but I can imagine someone having a good relationship with their parents and wanting free cable.
 BambiWoods
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:27:00 PM
Football mom...have you ever watched MadTv? lol
 whoville
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/2/2006 11:31:08 PM

Very normal.
Someone always available to help the folks if there is a problem.
Someone always there for the kids.
ALWAYS someone around to HELP. Rather nice.
Everyone pitches into the family finances, household etc.
In the end.,,,there is alot more $$$ for FUN stuff.

Seems like more the winning combination.

Yeah, who needs little things like privacy, independence, self-reliance, new experience, self-expression, ownership of property, or life without a safety net.
 cableclown
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:49:31 AM
Well I was kicked out at age 5 cuz she chose her new man after my dad died and kicked my azz too foster care till i was 15 or 16 then i came back to her town and got a job and one little crib to live in it was hard going but I WAS NOT GOING BACK TOO HER HOUSE TOO GET MY ASS BEAT UP by that prick again.. basterds still not close to them..... I kinda wonder about them old boys living with mom least they have a good relationship BUT YOU NEED TOO LET THEM go and get a life . OP just cuz he has a good job and money dont mean he has alife he needs too find that yet

that will make a good topic i will have too post that one about mom chosing stepdad over you
 Football Mom
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:37:53 PM
Yeah, who needs little things like privacy, independence, self-reliance, new experience, self-expression, ownership of property, or life without a safety net

I couldn't have said it better myself. Are you're right, just because he has a good job and makes good money doesn't mean he has a life. I'm sure that there are 40 year olds living with mommy because they can't hold down a job, can't pay their bills so what else are they going to do?
 pen name
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:57:09 PM
Just another way to demean men.
 Football Mom
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:05:54 PM
No, Pen name, not true. I'm not one to demean men - but if the shoe fits . . . . .
 whoville
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:06:25 PM
If he still lives at home, does the word "man" still apply?
 Football Mom
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:51 PM
No, whoville, the word "boy" is more like it. I wasted my time waiting for him to become a man
 derek73x
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:31:39 PM
The only reason a 40 year man or woman should live with their parents is to take care of them or because they shouldnt live by themsleves. My aunt is in her 50s and never moved out. Now my Grandma is 80 and shouldnt be by herself.
 one man one woman
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2006 3:25:49 PM
I was 33 when I moved out, for the first few years after school it was financial, then she had a number of strokes and I felt that I had a responsibility to help take care of her, so Iput my life on hold for ten years.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > How many 40 year old men still live with their mother?