Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anybody know of ways to get mustard stains out of the carpet?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Football Mom
Msg: 1
Anybody know of ways to get mustard stains out of the carpet?Page 1 of 1    
Before I go out and buy carpet stain removers that may not work, I'm hoping to get some ideas on what other people have done to get rid of mustard stains!!
 leeroybrowwn
Msg: 2
Anybody know of ways to get mustard stains out of the carpet?
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:37:52 AM
you know that oxy clean stuff that u use for laundry! i think that stuff works on it i saw the infomercial on it and i think they used it on fabrics as well as clothes ! good luck!
 marol
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:42:47 AM
details on type of carpet u have is a depending factor...infocommercials are a reliable source of discrepances..

immediate attention to stains prove most effective..lol
 whosyourbadkitty
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/4/2006 8:40:39 AM
football mom... go to the web site for the manufacturer of your carpet, they'll have stain removal tips for virtually any kind of stain. don't touch that stain til you either find the answer on line or contact the manufacturer directly or you could void the warranty. this is presuming you purchased and installed that carpet.
 halfblond
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/4/2006 9:35:29 AM
WD-40 cleans up an amazing number of products.

I have used it on everything from grease to grime. I have not tried it on mustard, but it will not hurt your carpet so give it a try. Just spray some on. let it sit a few minutes and clean up with a little dishsoap and water.

Believe it or not it is the best thing ever to clean your bathtub. Spray on, wipe off. Incredible. If you don't believe me, just try it once.
 Frrosty
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:02:43 AM
I dunno.....

maybe try some ketchup?

dallasguy99
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:17:30 AM
Rub a hot dog all over the spot. You will have a clean floor and a tasty luncheon.
 SRV4ever
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:11:24 PM
Dark or light mustard
 sammysalt1
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:15:13 PM
I would stream vack it, with the cleaner that comes with the steam vack with warm are hot water.
 j-roc
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/4/2006 2:22:06 PM
Shaving cream gets many stains out of carpet.
 KrazyTrk
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/4/2006 3:06:48 PM
My freind's brother is a chemist who works for a company that creates industrial use cleaning products. he invented this product that's pretty amazing, you spray it on the stain, and it literally breaks down the stain and it ends up disappearing without having to touch it. It's non toxic, and is safe on all surfaces. I used it personally on my oil painting stains on teh carpet, coffee stains, and my puppies pee stains, all disappeared 100%. Not trying to be a salesman or nothing but the stuff works wonders literally, message me if you like, I'll hook u up.
 wading to exhale
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:45:35 PM
http://housekeeping.about.com/od/stainremoval/a/stains_mustard.htm
 pen name
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:16:47 PM
Spread hot dog buns on the stains, then press down on them with a phone book. After ten minutes, open the phone book and look for the number of a carpet cleaning company.
 Football Mom
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:32:12 PM
Thank you wading to exhale - that gives me a few ideas.

Pen name, I'm assuming you already tried this???
Obviously I'm looking for other solutions before I fork out bucks to have my carpets cleaned professionally.
 indicalover
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:46:04 PM
Try peroxide. Get a wash cloth and pour the peroxide on the stain, and kinda scrub it out. (It's pretty much the active ingredient in Oxy Clean). Also, you can try vinegar and baking soda. (remember science class in the third grade?) I've used that before on a number of things, including cleaning out the bathtub drain. Both are safe and non toxic, no worried for kids or pets.
 pen name
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/4/2006 10:47:14 PM
I used my own buns, but the results made me think of more absorbant alternatives.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:29:57 AM
i'd try a few things around the house before resorting to buying chemical agents.
ordinary plain vinegar might work;
it has many uses i believe...

try to sponge the stain with a vinegar solution: 1 quart warm water, 1/2 tsp. liquid handwashing detergent and 1/4 c vinegar. blot with water. before using solution, test for colorfastness.

you might try using a powdered detergent, mix some with water, then sponge with plain water. apply a paste of powdered detergent and water.
if using a liquid detergent, apply liquid directly to the carpet.
if you use any detergent, blot with plenty of water till you see no more soapy residue.

another thing to try might be goo gone, one of those stain sticks or pen stain removers if the above don't work.
 redmamma
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:25:01 PM
half-b I didn't know that... will it work on anything I wonder?/ And it wont ruin the carpet>>> when you catch me later I may have a cleaner carpet....and heyyyy that gave me an idea for my toilet cleaning issues.....

goo gone can work.. but I am not sure about on mustard...
 yna6
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/6/2006 2:34:02 PM
Cut a swatch about a foot square....replace with a swatch a different colour or try to match it. It would make real fashion statement and start a whole new idea in "house cleaning".
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Anybody know of ways to get mustard stains out of the carpet?