Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How long after a break-up should you wait before dating again?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetnsexiegurl
Msg: 1
How long after a break-up should you wait before dating again?Page 1 of 1    
I just came out of a 4 yr relationship and I'm wondering how long I should wait before I start dating again? Then I wonder if the next relationship would be a "rebound". I have tried going out on a couple dates but they just felt wrong. Before that relationship I was with someone for 12 yrs, so I am so new to this whole dating thing...HELP!!!
 JustMyOpinion
Msg: 2
How long after a break-up should you wait before dating again?
Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:50 AM
If someone peaks your interest go for it......it's just a date! Well maybe more, but you'll know
 SNIFFLER
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/13/2006 1:40:54 AM
Every action you take speaks of your character .
who are you as a person and what do you view as the right amount of time.
dont worrie what others think react when you think its right.
regardless what you think how you act will say alot about who you are.
best of luck
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:27:31 AM
It's different with everyone.

After my 17 year marriage, I was dating within a month. By the six month point, I was home free and totally in my element.

When I was much younger, after being involved in a three month relationship with a woman that had been my best friend for four years - I was single for five years.

Go figure.
 Poet102781
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/13/2006 6:40:22 AM
A month is standard time...lets the other person know that you cared about them somewhat.
 naturelover70
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:56:07 AM
******SWEETNSEXIEGURL***

I don't believe there is any real answer to this one, it all depends on the person and how they handle things emotionally.

I have been out of a 18 1/2 year relationship almost 10 months..........and didnt start actually dating until about 7 months after the split. I didnt feel ready emotionally until then and even then it was kind of rough. Still at this point, I feel that I am not completely ready but do not really want life to pass me by.

So I guess it is when you personally feel ready inside............you'll know just trust yourself it will come to you. It's hard starting again, but so worth it when you find someone that can make you happy.

Good luck

Nice post , was actually thinking of doing the same one. Be curious to see the other responses.
 kce33
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:11 AM
since i have lots of options i would not wait, i would date someone else the next day, life is to short to waste on doing nothing....

kce
 shady_613lady
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:12 AM
Breaking up sucks doesn't it? There are 3 important things to always remember, and you'll be ok.

#1- People who replied to your question are right so far. There is no designated time frame that you can wait out to feel better. You need time alone, AND social interaction, just to feel around a bit. I told myself "one month" too, but that just helped a bit with wanting to rebound. If you were in love, which I'm sure you were, it will take much longer. You need to love the person from a far, wish them all the best, but know you're going in the right direction.

#2- Take Brad and Jen as an example. They dated 7 years (i think).. and one day Brad divorced her over some stupid attractive whore. We all know who it is. Granted, Jen feels like shit, and she is rebounding, HARD. And I can guaruntee you, it is not helping her at all. After hearing about Jolie's pregnacy, she publicly stated that if she (Jen) was not pregnant within a year, she would adopt. Ironic, isn't it?

#3- Men. They will like what they see, and pressure you any way they can to date them... Only because they know exactly how you feel, and they want to milk it for everything they can get. I've had men say "there is no time limit" or even go as far as to freak out insisting its ok to date... just because theyre desperate for sex / lovin' and they know that you are now available. Actions speak louder than words. But when you don't have any actions to go on, always listen to the words. People speak freely not realizing that you are free to judge their character, based on what they say.

Good luck. You will be ok. Always love yourself. Don't harbour baggage, if you can help it. Be honest, and watch your back because you are all you've got.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How long after a break-up should you wait before dating again?