Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Underage minors kids children teenagers on the site      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 futbolgirl
Msg: 1
Underage minors kids children teenagers on the sitePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There's been people complaining about the amount of underaged people on POF. I don't like it either, but I figure there's no real point in worrying about it until they have some method of verifying ages and preventing people from simply lying and putting in whatever they want.

You cant go by looks, listed ages, or conversation in determining someone's age. There is no real way to know the truth, unless they are painfully obvious, admit to it or find inconsistancies in the way they write/speak. So in my opinion, the only reality is that you could be talking to anybody and thats the truth.

True, when you find out you report them (assuming that actually stops them forever), but the hard part is spotting them right off. What do you think?
 uk27
Msg: 2
Underage minors kids children teenagers on the site
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:26:04 AM
I am guilty of this. I spotted one "girl" posting a forum on here and replyed

20 yrs old. Gimme a break.

Not fair on my part, how do I know? She wrote to say she was 20 and so there you have it. She probably is! But she looks 15. lol
 oxxx||========>
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:27:02 AM
I think it comes with the terrortory with a free site. On paid sites there will be less minors as most sites require payment by credit or debit card, but as some debit cards (solo for one) are now being issued to under 16's not even that is foolproof.
 Missy~H
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:34:11 AM
A young woman mailed me over my ex on here. She's been talking to him for a while and wanted to know what the score with us was. She had his mobile number and was planning to meet him. She looked really young, i asked her how old she was. She admitted that she was only 16. And not just because my ex was planning to meet her, knowing her real age, but because a lot of other guys were contacting her, and she was planning to meet a few others that were a lot older than she was. She told me they knew she was 16, i reported her as i was worried for her, at the moment she's blocked by her ip addy, so can't get on to this site, but i'm sure she'll be able to access others, and that scares me. But what else can you do to stop them, not a lot...
 futbolgirl
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:34:25 AM
^^true plus we all know teens "never" steal their parents cards lol.

But those kids would be found out as soon as their parents looked at next month's statement.

But here's something else, even though POF's rules are 18+, in the UK, people are legal adults at 16+. So that could be why there's so many POFers confusing legal British adults for minors. Just an idea.
 Captain Fantastic
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:35:14 AM
Think if you bsee a pic of someone looking underage they probably are ok,

Think the kids are street wise enough not to attract attention that way - they probably got a cartoon, celeb pic or one of an elder sibling of their patents on there even; or no pic at all
 the horned one
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:36:32 AM
as long it's not one blairs biometric dam id cards futbolgirl thankyou!
 aer_you_free
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:37:35 AM
Its very easy to post any picture or profile information they wish and no one would ever know.

Even if they got an IP addy block, they'd still have access thru another computer. There's no 100% way to stop these people that get so determined. Best way to deal with it is simply to be cautious of them.
 Missy~H
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:39:44 AM
Captain she had a picture of herself on her profile, stating she was 18. She did look really look, but probably got away with putting 18, if she had put 21, i think she would have drawn attention to herself trying to get away with older.
 tierrah
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:14 AM
There are websites for minors about where they can meet people their own age darn it. I understand that on those websites they may not have the chance to meet up....

16 year olds are just too immature and brash to realise the dangers they are putting themselves into. There is an age restriction for a reason ne?
 aer_you_free
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:48:59 AM
absolutely but one thing I learned about teens is that they see rules as a challenge.
 futbolgirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:14:20 AM
this true, I think is why German kids are so docile in cases as this. If you tell them it ok, they see no challenge to break any rules to get away with. Therefore, no fun. Germany has no drink age, but can only buy at 15 years old. Well unless your a 14 yr old drunk, this is no fun challenge. In Americas you must be 21? That is long wait and I understand kids steal all time. I imagine if Americas changed their laws to 18 or 16, then alcohol would not be so fun to steal and there would be less crime in this area. The law doesn't keep them from getting their hands on the stuff anyway
 Captain Fantastic
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:23:12 AM
@mh was responding to OP, our messages coincided. in that case I totally agree with you, blatant ones like that should be clamped down on, sounds like she needs protection from herself as well as the skanky guys who are planning to meet up with her
 young_55
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/15/2006 11:03:11 AM
I guess as long as they keep it clean and mature, I don't have a personal issue with it, especially since as it was pointed out, I can't do a lot about it.
 skatechick
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:38:03 AM
the legal age is 16 in many places. This may lead to some of your North American confusion on this matter
 young_55
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/16/2006 5:18:18 AM
IP blocking won't really work period, except to those too lazy to not simply use another computer. Its like okay your blocked from using a site at home, so you now can:

1. go use the computer in the other room
2. use the computer at work
3. use the computer at the library

get my drift? It doesn't work.
 young_55
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:21:29 AM
yeah I got 3 or 4 separate lines in the house. Part of the deal when the house got built. :)
 young_55
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:56 AM
yes, i knew what you meant. I have my line, my spouse had there's for when they teleworked from home, and there's one separate in the basement for when our teenager lived here and his internet games would slow the rest of us down, so we got him his own line. So 3. :)

OP: to avoid the thread being locked..... I'm not sure there's a real way to keep teeny boppers off POF until there's a sure fire way to prevent someone from lying on the internet. Good luck there.
 Tiffs_popular
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:00:00 AM
Thats a brilliant idea
 *Bomb*
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:07:12 AM
I'm confused...no surprise there..lol little off topic but why do you need 3 lines...why not just get a router and set up a home network? the router changes the ip addresses all the time randomly for you.

With regards to teenage access, aren't the parents responsible for keeping an eye on what the children are doing, I fully intend to check out what mine are doing online and if they are accessing any sites I don't like the look of I will block them.
 Tiffs_popular
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:09:21 AM
if the kids clean up the history, then how can you know what they are doing 24/7? You can't watch em every second... :) Besides kids ar sneaky. If they think your on to em, they'll just do it from the library or a friends house instead.
 *Bomb*
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:26:02 AM
every moment made on a pc is traceable, even if the user clears the logs, there are ways if you know the right people ;)
 robbie21
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:33:06 AM
true bit where there is free sites youngsters will access them whether they should or not
 *Bomb*
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:45:08 AM
careful miccy...you missed the bit about "if you know the right people".....I'm no computer geek, but I have friends in high places that can deal with this stuff for me, all part of being older and wiser ;) And believe me, every action your average teenager makes on their pc is traceable regardless of how much they think they have erased or encrypted it.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/16/2006 9:48:44 AM
format the hard drive and reinstall the backup software to get it all back to what you had when the computer first came out of the box. :)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Underage minors kids children teenagers on the site