Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Wearing Baseball Caps Backwards:Is it Still In Style?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 1
Wearing Baseball Caps Backwards:Is it Still In Style?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm specifically talking about the ones you adjust. I don't want to buy a fitted, since I don't know what my size is. Someone told me that wearing the adjustable caps backwards is out of style. I do have one that is a "flex-fit", but the front is "structured" which I don't like. I can't find a flex fit with a relaxed front.

Someone help me out here.

Also, is wearing leather baseball caps considered a "gay" thing? I like the way they look, but I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. :D
 Belfast Child
Msg: 2
Wearing Baseball Caps Backwards:Is it Still In Style?
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:48:51 PM
Well, from a woman who has never worn a baseball cap, but my opinion on grown men wearing them backward; it's a 'tad' outdated and has never appealed to my senses.

On a youth, it's ok.
 WorkingGirl
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:55:44 PM
Baseball caps backwards on a grown man has ALWAYS looked stupid.
 Jetplague
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:55:48 PM
Bah...it's been around for decades. Men usually turn it around for non-fashion reasons...only when it became a "Fashion statement" in the hip-hop circles did everyone start raving on about it. Teenagers still do it today...along with the baggy pants too big for them (the stupidest thing I've ever seen) and acting as if their gangsters.

Backwards caps are not a look to have when going out though...save that for bumming around the house, yard work or a baseball game with the guys.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:36 PM
I'm not a member of the hip-hop nation. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't wear one on a formal date. I wouldn't go out to dinner like that. I'm just talking about bumming around, hanging out. I see a lot of grown men wearing them like that.
 Jetplague
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:01:57 PM
Well I wouldn't call it a fashion thing either. Men just tend to do it thats all. I don't see any big deal about it really...unless, like I said before, they actually went out on a date looking like that. That would be rather...un-cool of them. Heh!
 herbs411
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:42 PM
I've always had a cap on, from my profile you can see that and I never once have I had it backwards. Never liked the look on me or anyone else.
 astrosky
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:35:53 PM
Ugh, baseball caps are so common and cliche it doesn't matter how you wear them, it is not a fashion statement, it just means you are one of the herd. I say - bring back the fedora if you want to be different, look good and get noticed!
 Jetplague
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:47:13 PM
Director Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python fame) stated that he lothes and wishes baseball caps were never invented. He feels they are horrible looking form of head wear and wishes the Fedoras or brimmed hats of the 40's/50's would come back instyle if men insist on wearing hats. He had a whole rant in his DVD commentary of Brazil....boy...he really hates baseball caps.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:03:15 PM
I have thought of getting a fedora, a derby, or a beret.
 Jetplague
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:12:12 PM
A fedora might be a good look for ya...derby...mmm..nah I just don't see it.
 mcbobly
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:26:53 PM
To answer both questions, yes wearing a baseball cap backwards is still in, in my opinion, I still do. And no, wearing any kind of leather baseball cap is NOT in any way gay! What I do personally have a problem with is those who wear their hats sideways or tilted AND sideways. WTF is up with that? I think it looks as stupid as hell. A baseball hat should be worn either all the way forward or all the way backwards, not sideways in any way or tipped nearly half off the head. But that's just my dumb opinion though.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:52:13 PM
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Someone who enjoys wearing a baseball hat backwards thinks it's absurd to wear one sideways?!

You know, I like to wear pink, it's totally cool and not at all gay - but purple? NO WAY! That's just stupid.

Personally, one of the saddest things I can witness is when a grown man with a wife and kids wears his hat backwards because he thinks it's cool.

It's not the actual fashion that gets me... it's the idea that some 35 year old guy stands in front of the mirror, spins his hat around backwards and goes, "Oh, yeah, now I am BAD A$$!"

Sad sad sad.
 Jetplague
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:56:20 PM
Geez...I've never done that. I don't think? Usually I just spin mine around when I"m cutting the lawn (to protect the back of my neck from the sun), or when I'm just in my house relaxing. Not standing infront of a mirror trying to go "Aaaaaaaay!" like the Fonz or nothing.
 astrosky
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:00:30 PM
^^^

OK, now try in front of the mirror wearing a fedora and saying "play it again sam". Bet ya feel suave now!

PS - the Fonz was too cool for hats...you have to wear a leather jacket to pretend you're the Fonz.
 Jetplague
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:03:10 PM
^^ I wouldn't say that either. Go put on a big hat with too many flowers and crap on it and wave like the queen. "We are not amused."
 opinionator
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:07:21 PM
They first wore the caps backwards to be different, and now they have begun to be different again, so the caps look like they are forwards, but really they are 360 degrees from forwards, turned once all the way around. It's subtle but you can pick it up. There is usually a reddish ring of cap burn across their forehead from turning it around every time they put it on.
 astrosky
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:09:55 PM
^^^

OMG, that's so sad I'm gonna bust into tears. (mainly because I realized they're allowed to breed)
 MISS13
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:10:38 PM
If you are under 15 years old then yes it's still in style.

I see this often-adult men with caps on backwards....always good for a giggle as I think it looks ridiculous.....same goes for females over 15 wearing 2 pigtails--looks ridiculous.
 opinionator
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/19/2006 10:21:37 PM
It's all part of one big fashion conspiracy to drive WorkingGirl to distraction. I think it's working.
 creativedelight
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/20/2006 12:07:32 AM
Fedoras rule! I wear one often for live shows and just looking good. Guys - at least one woman will ask to try it on! Believe me. And ladies - always ask first. It is rude to just grab a guys hat off his head ( something that happens at least once a gig ). Besides that, if he is a musician under lights, it may be sweaty and feel gross! I also have a hat similar to a fedora that gets lots of compliments.
I wear ballcaps only when I am in casual mode and rarely backwards.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:32 PM
Thing is, I work in a blue-collar job. A lot of the guys I work with wear their hats backwards.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:46:28 PM
Please explain the connection between a blue-collar job and a backwards baseball hat.
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:59:08 PM
Well it's informal. Like wearing t-shirts and jeans. I mean, you wouldn't want to wear a fedora to work at a job like mine.

So, what kind of hat looks best with a t-shirt and jeans?

Another thing, I obviously shave my head. So, when it's sunny out, I need to wear something on my head to keep from burning.

I do wear knit caps when it's cold, and I like the way I look in those.
 Man of Ink
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:38:11 PM
Get a bike and then you can wear a do-rag or skull cap.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Wearing Baseball Caps Backwards:Is it Still In Style?