Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Best places to meet people after 45      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Best places to meet people after 45Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Ok, I would date more if I met more people my age who were single. Nominations for best places to meet people after 45 now being accepted...
 69Roadrunner
Msg: 2
Best places to meet people after 45
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:31:56 AM
Try taking dance classes at your local community college. Currently, I'm taking Salsa classes at my local college and the majority of the students are over 45 and appear single.

Another positive is that the male to female ratio is always kept at 1:1, so you'll have no problem meeting people!
 fizzyh2o
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2006 3:27:04 AM
I find that I meet people everywhere I go. I like to talk to people that I think look/sound interesting. I just had a guy ask me out at the home improvement center near here, and I had my two kids in tow! So much for dancing lessons or singles bars.

If you're shy, take a few months to learn how to be more daring in public. I don't know if it's something a therapist would do, or if going to a school on manners. No insult intended, not saying it's a fault, it's just like a lot of other things people are left to deal with on their own in this world, shyness is a hugely ignored issue. Most people without it can't identify with it.

Fishing is tossing out the line. You can't get a bite without bait and a hook. If you just go out on the lake and drop in a line without either thing, no fish will bother. Better yet, if you just sit in the boat, you'll never eat. Alternatively, there's always a net. Lots of ways to catch a fish, none is right or wrong, but remember there are some you don't keep. Gotta getem in the boat, first.
 guernsey_donkey
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/21/2006 4:57:18 AM
I'm always chatting to people, in supermarkets, bars, shops, work, parks - never 'on the pull', just chatting.

I'm always surprised at how many single people there are my age. It's much cooler than when we were teenagers. It's easy to just chat/have a coffee - we both know we are 'seeing what happens' but, if nothing 'happens' that's cool too, you've just made a new acquaintance.

Dating/meeting people is so much more easy and laid back. I WISH I'd known this when I was a teenager!
 Man of Ink
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:55:27 AM
At the replacement hip store during open house.
 Mandrake48
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:55:32 AM
I moved my bed right next to the cemetary figured at my age thats about the only place to meet people now! But nobody in there is talking to me either!!
 ashley1861
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:31:33 PM
I notice that guys my age or maybe slightly older glance at me, linger, then don't know what to say. I guess I don't either. But maybe a "Hi" is a good start. Followed up by, "What a nice smile you have".

Was in Seattle a few weeks back and a man accompanied by a younger man (son?) said Hi
in a coffee shop. I was at the next table. I said Hi back and a little blah blah. This could have continued, except that I did not have time to pass the day chatting. Had I spared the time, I could have learned something wonderful about Seattle for my next trip.

I don't think it's rude to jump into someone's conversation with my own input as long as I don't try to dominate. It opens a door.
 Man of Ink
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/21/2006 12:48:05 PM
I speak to women who smile. For some reason, women my age do not smile much. They have a kind of pensive and calculating look as if waiting to defend themselves against a panhandler. So unless I have met someone online it is unlikely I will find anyone to speak with in the course of the day. There are specific venues for singles. Beyond those, it is slim pickings offline. I realize that women only smile at men they find attractive in the first place. To meet women my age I would probably go to a singles event of some kind, if not for the fact I don't go to those things. My strategy now is to stop for red lights and provide at least that much of an opportunity for some woman to leap onto the back of my bike before the light turns green again.
 familynurse
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:27:53 PM
Any specific places in NYC other than bars? I always feel like the daily special when I sit down at the bar and order. Lots of interest but no takers or keepers.
 auntie-up
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:47:05 PM
You know ... you hear stories about how men pick up women in the produce section at the grocery store. I've been approached several times that way ...and yes ... I smile and make conversation. But as soon as I answer their question about how to tell if the melon is fresh... they actually walk away ... as if that's all they really wanted.

Once, a very average, attractive man asked me where to find instant tapioca. He had a special recipe for Sweet & Sour Chicken that everyone loved. He was in a fire fighter's T-shirt, so I figured he was making it for the crew on his shift. We spent several flirty, funny minutes looking for it together. I spotted it first ...then, just as I was about to stick my foot in my mouth and tell him that I would take him directly to it if I was invited for the meal ... he said "My wife told me the box colour, just can't remember". Arrrgggghhhh ... how deflating!!! Why don't you guys wear your wedding rings!!!!! I handed him the box and said "There you go".
 damselinnodistress
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:24:05 PM
One of my best friends met her husband on Valentine's Day at the grocery store. They got married the same day the following year and living happily ever after :)
 ohdriver
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:31:11 PM
Elevators. I’m unbelievable in elevators. It’s like I can do no wrong. Women walk on and turn to putty in my hands. Putty, I say.

But seriously, if you’re looking for a place (and they’re everywhere and nowhere), try going somewhere where women will see you again and again – church, school, sports league, neighborhood bar, gym – and become familiar with the sight of you. Research has proven that sooner or later, one of them will probably sleep with you – by mistake probably, but who really needs to know?

putty I say…weak with pleasure…
 sum1reel
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:36:36 PM
here are a few places:

1. the Laxative aisle of your local drug store

2. Bingo night at the senior's club

3. wheelchair race day at the senior center

4. pic-nic on the grounds of your nearby nursing home

RDtoo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:23:29 PM
No I'm far from being shy. Just thought that I would throw the question out. I do see alot of women around but it is kind of like wooP wooP's experience. They look at me defensively like I was thinking of grabbing their boobs or something.

Bad thing about the Detroit area is that all these women are into hockey. Seriously. I could care less about hockey. I'd rather go to Border's.
 ThePlantMan
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:57:52 PM
A good place to meet is any Department of Motor Vehicles Office.

You'll have all day to get to know the woman in the line in front of you.

rc21015
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:07:03 AM
I must be doing something wrong. The only people that approach me in the grocery store are the little old ladies asking for my assistance in getting an item off the top shelf! Sheesh!
 Maddie51
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2006 11:46:24 AM
Hi to Mandrake - now I know why we enjoy talking to each other - I used to work for a Medical Examiner - LOL Hey kiddo - I will always talk with you !!

I am not sure about the gentleman's comment on women his age not smiling. Heck, I smile all the time - it makes people wonder what I have been up to. I have found I can meet people about anywhere, but I refuse to let my friends fix me up - that always turns into a big disaster.
 Tarheel1943
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:19:25 PM
Hey, watch it, re21015---I'm only 5 feet tall, and often need help getting something down off the shelf. "Little old lady"---humph! Maybe I should wait for an interesting looking tall guy the next time I'm there, ya think?
 hondarider791
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:57:29 PM
Wal-Mart is a good place,and some have special days for single people where they mark your cart to let others know that you're single,so I heard,did anyone else hear that?it would help people if they did.
 twobits45
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:07:51 PM
There isn't any place. In July I will be 46. Then I will be past 45 and if I haven't found her by then, I understand I will be doomed to walk the face of the earth alone forever. I only have a few months left and time is running short. I am praying and doing incantations and brews and watching out for black cats and avoiding ladders......hmm, sounding pretty pathetic, huh? OK, I will walk the face of the earth alone, but for obvious reasons.....yes, no cable TV.

PS. I need to get a life. Anyone got one for sale cheap?
 rc21015
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:43:11 PM
Opps, sorry tarheel, no offense meant at all. Trust me, your aren't old at all and I definitely recommend that you wait for a tall guy the next time you need a top shelf item. You never know, right? It's worth a shot! Good luck to ya!
 Summertyme
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:18:50 PM
Hi everyone -- I really don't know where to meet guys within my age bracket. When I go to a singles dance -- mostly women -- speed dating 20 women 6 men. I went on a fantastic vacation -- had a great time, really can't complain - St. Lucia -- met about 10 single women, played golf, had a blast - but no single men .... Where have all the old cowboys gone?
Brokeback Mountain??
 Man of Ink
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:21:07 PM
I'm in Texas but I'm not a gay cowboy. I don't know where the other single men are.
 ~prizm~
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:00 PM
At the gas station when the prices drop?
 Laura_61
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:24 PM
Someone tell me where to meet people my age! Most are only out fooling around on their wives.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Best places to meet people after 45