Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > How long should one wait before dating/having sex again after ending      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dr.ducati
Msg: 1
How long should one wait before dating/having sex again after ending a long term relationship?Page 1 of 1    
I've been told that it's best to wait at least several months to "gain personal insight" and "create secure closure" before dating and/or having sex again. Any thoughts?

Personally, I've found it challenging to be solo...could be because I'm an identical twin, possibly looking for "the other half" to make me feel more complete. Maybe I, like most people, just like being in a relationship...who wouldn't want to have someone to hold hands with, laugh with, share fun times with.
 MellyBabez
Msg: 2
How long should one wait before dating/having sex again after ending a long term relationship?
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:46:25 PM
Wait - you have a TWIN? *pauses to drool*

*ahem, ok, im sorry.
Anyways, one should wait until....drum roll please......they are ready to have sex again. It could be the next week, or the next year. You can never really put a set timeline on those things....
 shamanswolf
Msg: 3
How long should one wait before dating/having sex again after ending a long term relationship?
Posted: 2/26/2006 9:50:26 PM
I don't think it matters what length of time there is between ending a long term relationship and dating/having sex. This all depends on the person that it will affect the most which would be yourself. If you are secure in the fact that you no longer have a partner and are not wishing things could be as they were then it's totally up to the individual. If you got burnt bad by your ex then obviously there will be some animosity towards the opposite sex. This will definitely not lead to another relationship. But again there is the so called "rebound" relationship. This usually occurs when you aren't fully secure in yourself. When you get off the emotional roller coaster ride of a relationship gone sour you'll definitely either be more confident in yourself or totally in a tailspin. It will all come together in time.
 Coastergal
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:05:47 PM
Depends on what you're looking for dr ducati.................
You could have sex the next day..... and it would just be sex...............

When people end a longterm relationship.. there are usually issues that need to be dealt with..... so you'd be emotionally available for the next person.

I don't think there is any specific timeframe....... for anyone.... we all deal with things our own ways..............

You don't want to be with someone... JUST to be with someone....
 Soul_Mates
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:38:52 PM
It depends on you and what you want.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about it.

For me, the first intimate contact I had with someone after I told my husband our marriage was over was almost 7 months after I ended my marriage.

But then, I didn't end my marriage until I knew that I had absolutely no love left in my heart for my ex, so that made moving forward easier for me, even though I took my time.
 apostle
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:45:17 PM

I've been told that it's best to wait at least several months to "gain personal insight" and "create secure closure" before dating and/or having sex again. Any thoughts?

What the advice (I believe) should be is: You should wait until you've put
that aspect of your life behind you by coming to grips with it. There really
isn't a time-frame persay. It could take you years in dealing with the issue
of moving on and accepting.. or you could be a cold and heartless person
and only take you hours.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > How long should one wait before dating/having sex again after ending a long term relationship?