Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Question for the ladies      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 u2fan74
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Question for the ladiesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
How many of you would start dating a guy without a car or license?
 ruthless75
Msg: 2
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:24:30 AM
Nearly every guy I have dated has not had a car - material things mean nothing to me. Who needs a car to have fun?
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 3
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:06:25 AM
I have & would consider it again.Those DUI's are a b*tch,aren't they?
Needless to say it hampers the poor man's ability to be out there in
the active dating pool.Though it could also be to his advantage in
the fact that he can now be the chasee...hopefully!And the woman
who chooses you despite that setback is definitely a keeper!
Now,I would have a different outlook if the man had never had his
license or a car at some point...I would think something is amiss there.
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 4
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:26:37 PM
I see not many responses... Aside for possibly being perceived as a materialistic lady, which I am not, (bad habit of being independent), I will give a response.

In my earlier years of dating.... I would tell my grandfather of this terrific man I had met, you can count the seconds to which he would ask, "does he have a vehicle?" After numerous lectures of what it takes to own a vehicle and the discipline of maintaining a vehicle....etc, my grandfathers' initial impulse was to ask that question.

It might definitely be seen as a screening tool by some as a screening tool as to your discipline and self control...I may see a red flag...

It may cause me to question....
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 5
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:27:40 PM
minus one screening tool etc...
 fatboy461
Msg: 6
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:54:01 PM
I've got no car or license...I still get the gals!
 brawnydog
Msg: 7
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:57:24 PM
I wouldn't think that any sane, non-desperate woman would....
over the age of 15 of course. Get real.

moo
 lady_bugg65
Msg: 8
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:23:09 PM
only if he had a really cool 3 speed with a banana seat and he doubled me around on the handle-bars...
 paradise31
Msg: 9
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:50:20 PM
Well, since I don't drive, it wouldn't be a great thing but I wouldn't turn him down just for that. That's a petty thing to worry about. I wouldn't want to miss out on a great guy for that reason alone.
 swshift
Msg: 10
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:39 PM
this question was posted in the 30's something right? The way I see it if there is a guy out there 30+ who isn't disabled mind you, then chances are there is some other major problem. This indicates to me he is not responsible, irresponsible behavior at this stage in the game is a turn off when looking for real companionship, hope this gives you some persepective.
 ~Lipsmacka
Msg: 11
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 2:28:43 PM
If I was 12 maybe......
 Velzy
Msg: 12
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/2/2006 8:30:03 PM
I agree with swshift. It would be something I'd wonder about, but wouldn't stop me from getting to know someone.
 registerdnurse1975
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:43:46 AM
i am ashamed to say been there done that.....
 Photostar
Msg: 14
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:49:23 AM
Last guy I dated...did not have a car nor a car license.....that did not matter to me. In the end, it did not last....but not by my doing.
 JackActionHero
Msg: 15
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:58 PM
I would not date a girl that didn't have a license, a car, an education and a career. No way, no how.
 designingwoman
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 6:14:58 PM
I would say that if I was living in New York City and the guy had no car I would understand, since the train is much easier to use than a car. A car is just a plain hassle in downtown Manhattan!

If he lived in the suburbs I would want a guy who had a car so that we can get to where we need to go, even if it's just to the train station to get into the city.

With that said, I would want a guy who had a license so that he could drive if the need arose to get a car.

If he has no license because of DUIs I wouldn't want the drunken bum around anyway. Drunkenness is a huge turnoff for me, especially the puking part. YUCK!!
 MuppetKiss
Msg: 17
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:57:38 PM
Unfortunately...

I have two non-negotiable rules when dating men.
One is that he must have a job.
Second is that he must have a car.

Otherwise, he'll use you for money and rides.

Hopefully your situation will be over soon. Don't worry, you're very cute. Maybe you'll find a gal who lives close by. Real close by.
 sweettalkingwoman
Msg: 18
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:16:54 PM
More and more often today I see it is the woman driving, not the man, leading me to believe that it is the woman's car. Personally, as long as one of us has a car to get around, I think that is all fine. No car for either of us might be a bit limiting, but cuddling on the back of the bus may not be so bad either.

Edit: I just read the post above me and I am very suprised a Counsellor would have such a negative outlook on people. Just because a man doesn't have something, doesn't mean he is going to "use you". I am sorry you have let your past experiences dictate your future experiences.
 MuppetKiss
Msg: 19
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:19:33 AM
^^^ Just because I'm a counselor, does not mean I'm an enabler.

Yes, this viewpoint does come from experience. It took a while to get it in to my head, too.

If the person doesn't have a car & a liscence he can get one. If he can't get one, then there's a darn good reason, (drugs, alchohol, etc.). If he can't manage his own life, why would I want him in mine? He's got to get it together before he can date me.

Once he's got his car back & his liscence I might consider dating him.

(BTW, I'm not a shrink, I do immigration, there's different types of counselors.)
 Coastergal
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/4/2006 12:34:35 PM
depends on why he was without a car or license and whelp.. honestly how far away he lived!

Can he pay for gas????
 hummingbird23
Msg: 21
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/12/2006 7:43:35 PM
what does a care and a license have to do with dating a person??? It isn't about dating their car but them!!
 honeysage
Msg: 22
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/12/2006 9:15:04 PM
If he lost it from a DWI or DUI, then we wouldn't be compatible. I'm not much of a drinker and don't enjoy being around drunks.
If that is not the reason, then I don't see why not.
honeysage
 RoseSoul
Msg: 23
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/13/2006 2:42:51 AM
Personally, I don't think it is an issue whether a person has a car or license to drive or not. Then again maybe the environment/ situation also affects one's decision to date a "car owner". In my country, its really small and the public transport is very efficient, and owning and maintaining a car is really expensive. So I don't think a being car owner is that important.

But I do know some women who will only date a guy or strongly prefer to have a boyfriend who is "wealthy enough" to own a car. And even within the type of ladies, I have across one or two who will only date those who drive "prestigious" cars, you know like Mercedes, BMWs, Jaguars, Lexus... And I know there are men out here who have a similar attitude.
Well what can I say? The world is filled with all kinds of people, to each his/her own.
 yourdelights
Msg: 24
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/28/2006 9:38:57 AM
Glad someone brought up this point, I for one have lost my license for a little while not for DUI but for careless and speeding. That put aside with the price of gas and insurance these days, its so much cheaper to call a cab.

Any woman who would only go out with you if you do have a license and own a car, is obviously looking for Mr. Money bags and not looking for a soul mate. And is probably why she's still single.

There are plenty of women out there that don't mind, especially when you show up for your date in a limo...lol.
 Lux_Interior
Msg: 25
Question for the ladies
Posted: 3/28/2006 9:50:41 AM
Virtually everyone I've ever dated has had the means to obtain a car/license. Roughly 6 out of 10 bothered to obtain a car. I didn't even bother to myself and I'm going on 36. Where I lived, it just really wasn't necessary as the public transit was MORE than adequate and parking tends to be a nightmare downtown (which is where we went mostly).

I wouldn't get involved with anyone who lost their license in a DUI, though. No way!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Question for the ladies