Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what to do with a 47 year old man?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 1
what to do with a 47 year old man?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I have a man interested in me..he is 14 years older than i am and only 5 years younger than my mother...wondering if this would be awkward to anyone else..or do i just have an age phobia?
 cojo4
Msg: 2
what to do with a 47 year old man?
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:23:31 PM
Lucky guy,i think its up to you,if you have a interest pursue it,maybe the best thing you've done
 CountrySugar
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:23:52 PM
Are you interested in him? If yes, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks..
 cougar99
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:24:57 PM
Are you worried about what others think....why...if you enjoy each others company..why not...
It is awkward....if you let it become awkward.
If he has any interesting qualities you like...go with the mood.

Have fun
 Tracy99203
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:26:34 PM
The question is are you interested in him. That would be the biggest issue. If your interested in him and like everything about him you should go with your gut. Unless you think you would have to worry about your mother stealing him from you Just kidding. Just remember that epasode of sex in the city where the old guy gets outa bed and his ass is saggin. lmao
 cojo4
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:35:07 PM
hey my butt dosnt sagg...yet
 Veedub447
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:36:57 PM
I'm 46 . I date a lot of women in their early 30's. so what? Hit it!
 rougelarue
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:43:32 PM
I dated someone who was 13 years older than I am. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever spent time with. I say go for it, you never know what will come of it. Good Luck with everything.
 CruelButCute_SoImWorthIt
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:49:58 PM
lol...Ive had an experience..well a friend and I with an older man. He is the sweetest guy ever but hes soooo old. Its kinda awkard because he could be my dad..but I mean does age really matter in this day in age?!? Thats the question I think alot of people dont know how to answer.
 Reenie999
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:54:50 PM
My last relationship was with a man 18 years younger and the one before that with a man 16 years older.

I had thought that being with an older man would make me feel "younger". It didn't....I started to feel as old and weary as he was. The younger man made me feel young.

I can't speak for anyone else though , because my father was 17 years older than my mother and their marriage was one of the happiest I've ever seen....til death did they part (hers).
 mdew22
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/5/2006 1:55:05 PM
yes i would go for it if you like him and he likes you and if you have the same interests. age is justa number and it really doesnt meen a thing. dont worry about what others think as long as you are happy. thats what counts.

mdew22
 terminallycute
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/5/2006 2:09:09 PM
you have an age phobia!!
 johnglc
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/5/2006 2:19:19 PM
How about listening to your HEART!What does your heart tell you?Do you like him?If so then SCREW what everybody tells you and go for it.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/5/2006 2:29:14 PM
Z Girl, just do what your heart tells you. 14 years wouldn't be an issue for me, but if it's an issue for you, just look for men within your acceptable age range and just date them. Personally I think chemistry and compatibility are way more important dating criteria than chronological age.
 zgirlbeautiful
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/5/2006 2:39:06 PM
as far as i can tell...yes i really like him. He has a great personality. I haven't met him in person yet, but we have been talking and been friends for 4 months. He is crazy about me so far. I don't really care what others think about the age difference. He doesn't look his age at all. I will get to meet up with him on the 24th of this month. I am not concerned about my mom stealing him..lol...she is very happily married. So i guess i will just run with it. And enjoy the ride.

I am concerned about sex and how i will feel about that...if it will be like havinging sex with someone closer to my age..
 Bikeman_
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/5/2006 2:55:40 PM
Chemistry and compatibility are most important. Ask yourself how important good sexual intercourse is in a desirable relationship. To me, if I had fantastic chemistry and compatibility with a woman, I'd overlook a sexual issue or two. If there were NO sex, then maybe that would be a problem. I bet you Z Girl this guy has got no problem getting it up. If he is everything you think he is, your sexual experiences with him will probably be Dyn-O-Mite.
 gr842n
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:11:48 PM
Z girl, you are thinking too far ahead. Just see how it goes and take it step by step. You will either find enough justification to keep him around, or simply move on.
 chellelea
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:24:18 PM
I am concerned about sex and how i will feel about that...if it will be like havinging sex with someone closer to my age..

If you choose to sleep with him...it will probably be BETTER than having sex with someone your age!!! At least my experiences with older men has been this way, they are much more patient and into pleasing you

I say if you are interested in him just see where it goes and try not to let his age influence your feelings! Good Luck!!!
 Silent_Thoughts
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:32:35 PM
Your concern made me giggle a bit - not at you - but it reminded me of a
past experience - which had all those concerns - she is young enough that
I could be her father (but I'm not), and we spent years together - some of
which were the happiest years I have had in my life - and I am certain that
she was happy then too.

Ultimately it was not the age difference that got between us - it was her
need to blow off any semblance of consistency/comfort/safety and go live
on the edge instead - and she just couldn't do that with me because I was
'too safe' - I'd always been there for her, and she didn't want that anymore.

So I would add one more factor - an older guy might be very 'safe' and also
very consistent - so assuming you do like him and get along well - are you
up for that kind of really consistent caring attention - if he is that kind of
guy ??

I agree with most of the prior posters too - why not just do as you feel and
ESPECIALLY listen to your Heart - that is always the best way to know !

Best Wishes,

mark*
 CuteNPerky2
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:20 PM
lots of time older guys will kiss your butt and treat you better because they feel they got a prize in a younger girl. I personally dont find anyone more then a yr or 2 older then me attractvie. If you like the man give him a try but dont expect him to look the way a young guy looks if he takes off his clothes and you want to be intimate with him or for his body to act the same as a young guy. Why dont you fix him up with your mother if she is single.
 Bikeman_
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:03:28 PM
c&p, it sounds like you might have dated one guy who was a little older than you and you had a bad experience. there is no reason why a 47 year old guy can't look like he's in his 30s if he takes good care of himself. sure it's possible the guy is flabby and can't get it up; Z Girl hasn't met him but is happy with the 4 months of corrspondences. Why not meet and see if the relationship works? What's the harm in that? I'd do that before discounting the possibilities, especially if there has been great communication, as that is the most important quality in a lasting relationship.

Now of course it's your prerogative c&p to date whoever you want. Unless you have had repeatedly bad dating experiences with older guys, why recommend against it? And even if you had bad experiences, maybe you just dated losers, undoubtedly not all the guys around you who are a couple of years older than you are unattractive.
 CuteNPerky2
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:44:09 AM
NO they are not all ugly and i am not talking about a small age gap like 2-8 yrs i am talking someone 10 to 15 yrs older. And I have had bad experiences meeting older men they have always said they were 50 but looked 70. I dont care how old someone is as long as when they are standing next to me people dont think they are my father. Plus personally i am not attracted to someone older and I have yet to meet a man i personally found attractive to me ( in that I would want to sleep with) who was more then 2 yrs older then me. I know older men get offended I hear it all the time but who you want to date is a personal preference and thankfully there are lots of younger guys that dont mind asking to date me :) I personally do much better with younger guys as friends also.
 4loorplay
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:34:36 AM
Well if your interested and 14 yrs younger "so what" if he has a healthy lifestyle and is 7 yrs younger at heart and you 7 yrs older in security then hey its a perfect match. You will "should" be worshiped to a degree from him. It all depends on the head chemistry here. The looks of a 14yr younger women to the man is something most men like. Now if he is one that changes women for younger ones ...."you get the point" you got to try!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:47:04 AM
In all fairness to him, please try to think of him when you're WITH him or talk to him as a MAN. Period. One you're interested in or not. If you constantly think of him as an older man, I think if it were me in the situation, reversed, I'd get weary of that. And I'm not insinuating that you DO. Just saying try to put the age thing out of your mind. I have a younger man, but I don't think of him as a younger man, I think of him as a MAN. Period. One that I love deeply, but I never thought of him as anything BUT a man I was interested in. May not be a big difference to you, but it may mean a world of difference to him. Just think about it, okay?
 Bikeman_
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:49:52 AM
ya c&p you take a chance when deciding to meet an older guy and he turns out lots older than his photos. it can get disappointing when a demographic group who you correspond with via the internet all seem to turn out to be geezers.

c&p, what if you met a man out in the real world, you thought he was younger than you, you like him, and then you find out he's 50? you ain't throwing that fish back in the pond probably. i hear where you are coming from. it's everyone's prerogative to be attracted to whatever type floats their boat. i ain't telling you that you that you should be dating old farts.

personally i have found i tend to get along better with women in their 40s. but that doesn't mean that i won't date women my age or younger or stereotype 30s and 20s women's behavior in any fixed way. so i understand your mindset about enjoying being with men of a certain age range. more power to you! :+)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > what to do with a 47 year old man?