Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aegean_odyssey
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
From Warhol back in time to DaVinci the world and ART are intertwined.
The Motivations vary
Some were commissioned by the Pope, others by Governments / Dictators
Or just wealthy patrons............
Who was your favorite fine artist and why?
 ^Dee^
Msg: 2
Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:08:20 PM
Salvidor Dali is my favorite. I like him because he's a surrealist, theres just something about his paintings that draws me to them. I've always been attracted to abstract works, but he was the one who made me see the beauty in surrealism. I've got a print of "Metamorphosis of Narcissus" hanging in my living room and "The Temptation of Saint Anthony" in my kitchen. I've gotten lots of compliments on both.

Dee
 museamuse
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:43:01 PM
I've studied a lot of art history and find many artworks I enjoy, but my favorite artist is an art-jewelry professor at Emporia State U. Her name is Marjorie Schick. I've never considered myself one to be a groupie of any kind, but she's an exception. This artist really knocks my sox off with her innovative work. She makes objects that use the human body as an environment for the artwork. Many of her pieces are large (to the point of encompassing the whole body) and always colorful (she's very painterly), and beautifully crafted. Her work makes you think about what criteria qualifies an object as jewelry.
 Paulchino II
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:50:07 PM
Alex Grey hands down....such intricate, detailed work and I'm facinated with spirituality...a central theme in all of his work
 leafslady
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:03:45 PM
My favourite artist is a Canadian by the name of Paul Peel (1860-1892)
The realism in his work is amazing.
 enigma88
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/19/2006 2:42:16 PM
I agree with Dee...Dali is my all time favorite. The colors and textures that he uses are fabulous. I also love the way he blends religion with "pop culture" and twists it just that extra little bit.

I do like other artists but they generally tend to be Surrealists...Escher is cool (not the tessilations though).
 mudflower
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/19/2006 10:17:46 PM
you know he wasn't my favorite artist until i started reading a book a friend suggested. but salvador dali is really incredible... not just snap shots of his paintings will do justice. the religious undertones are extraordinary. completely breathtaking.
 aegean_odyssey
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(finally not a music thread)
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:52:14 AM
I could go on about Dali for days. I have been a Docent at the Salvador Dali Museum
here in St. Petersburg for years ....

I agree that Escher is great and may be underated.
As an architect Antonio Guadi such an artist in his constuction..

The classics -- Raphael, Vermeer Delft, Velasquez & DaVinci
and within recent times Van Gogh and Picasso ALL deserve consideration.
 anticon
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:13:58 AM
the age of enlightenment.. romanticism... classical forms with modern meanings...

Jacques-Louis David
(1748-1825)

http://www.abcgallery.com/D/david/david.html
 FIMI1234
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:09:59 AM
Can I list some photographers as my favourite fine artists, or is someone going to get into a tiff with me regarding whether photography is fine art?

Jean Michel Basquiat - because i had a period in my life where i felt like i was inside of every single one of his paintings.

Diane Arbus - her images really do tell stories. And they made me want to be a photograher.

Henri Cartier Bresson - visual irony at it's all time best... talk about timing.
 aegean_odyssey
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:54 AM
SAMO is great !!!

no problems here with photographers.... I like Leica

Ansel Adams -- the natural would be in the class as would be WESTON

also Emanuel Radinsky aka: Man Ray --- he captured the spirit of many a movement
 simplybefree
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/8/2006 8:28:45 PM
I enjoy so many for so many various reasons...here are but a few, they are not my favorite, but I figured I'd go away from the beaten path and mention a few I find get you right in the gut:

Lucian Freud ~~~ I love the morosity, sometimes morbidity and often reality of his paintings, his style. He has a way of depicting the human body and being that is unique. He does it not in all its outer beauty, but rather in its entire inner and outer complexity and reality... His representations of the human body are also often very intimate and make you feel like you are witnessing a personal moment, a real moment.

Dan Ouellette ~~~ paintings and photography. He has a way of seeing the world that is extremely morbid and sometimes even shocking. But he leaves no one sensation~less...

Finally, reaching back in history, John Martin ~~~ His landscapes and his style which inspired Joseph M.W. Turner - who is anotrher one I like - are very powerful. There is one painting in particular where he depicts the wrath of God and the end of the world...wow.

I could probably go on...but won't...there are so many!!!
 toonsmith
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:31:31 PM
I enjoy the work of fantasy artists such as Frank Frazetta and Roger Dean.

I like to be taken away into other worldly fantasical visions.

Toon
 onoringo
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:18:06 PM
i'm a fan of the whole art nouveau period and how artist of that era represented the human figure at one with nature instead of two. my favorite artist would defiantly be Gustav Klimt since his work was done so beautifully and incorporated a great deal of captivating patterns making the image boarder on the surreal from time to time leaving your eyes with a feast images to take in, mostly seen in his later works and with his landscape art. Alphonse Mucha is also on the list but mainly because of his style and depiction of women as these elegant heavenly serpent smooth beings which he does perfectly, much like Gustav, but that man had it down pat. Also, William Blake, the poet, did some paintings of his poems which i honestly found spectacular because mainly it was the poets visual expression of his words which made the pieces he painted have more direct meaning and worth rather than someone's interpretation.
 GlassGoddess
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/10/2006 11:26:54 PM
My favorite has got to be the Helenistic...Dying Gaul and the Laocoon Group...both about the 1st century. They're fabulous....Michelangelo was actually there when the Laocoon group was uncovered, which is where he got his inspiration most of his figures from (think the muscular 'David' and all of his figures when he carves/paints muscles). If you want to talk about realism, take a look at the Northern Renaissance painter Jan Van Eyck. AMAZING realism...get in reeeaaallly close and you can see his self portrat in the reflection of the mirror in the 'Arnolfini Marriage'.
 ~SpiffyKat~
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/14/2006 10:39:40 AM
I adore Mary Cassatts work.She was such an amazing 19th century impressionist painter.Her depictions of women and children are so soft,refined and inspirational.There are so many fantasic artists that its hard to choose just one,but she was the first that came to mind:)
 Aurora73
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/14/2006 4:16:24 PM
The Van Eycks, the Romantic Landscape painters, the Hudson River school, Raphael, Caspar David Fredreich, William Waterhouse, Andrew Wyeth, and Dante Gabrielli Rosetti.

~Aurora
 newtocomputers
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/15/2006 2:15:51 PM
Nechita....her talent is well beyond her years and is still alive and creating. There is also a fellow fish that has an unbelievable talent.....hope it is shared with others as her talent is beyond her years as well.
 knees
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/15/2006 7:41:52 PM
Van Gogh has always been my favorite. I love his impressionistic style of painting...his brush strokes...(lol...or knife strokes, as he sometimes literally got the paint on the canvas with a knife rather then a brush, leaving thick strokes of paint behind) are so eerie to me...
He used such bold, contrasting colours...sometimes when I'm looking at his work, I try to figure out whether he would have been manic or depressed at the time that particular piece was painted.
His work has inspired me:)
 ILoveMusic
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/15/2006 11:12:16 PM
I love Georgia OKeefe. Its the way she see floweres- its her style of shape, line, colour. Perhaps grace is a good word?
 Mrsmiggins
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:01:35 AM
Paul Klee... deceptively childlike images

Kathe Kollwitz... raw, powerful, brutal and haunting stuff... but beautiful imagery and exceptional technique

And Dale Chihuly... fantasies in glass

I could go on....
 eugene56
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/16/2006 4:41:11 AM
Hi,
Would anybody like to give there views on leonardo`s "The last supper".
 wrye
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/17/2006 1:03:06 AM
fine artists, eh? ok-
outsider artists- finster, minnie evans, adolf wolfi etc.
why? because it's real. from the soul- minnie evans said god told her to "draw or die"

academic- the turtles, of course plus vermeer, bosch.
why? because technique. because for their day they were comission slaves but managed to take it beyond the required into the realm of humor, magic, insight. because just because you sell doesn't mean you have to sell out. (did you know the mona lisa was a demo painting? an example, not an end unto itself?)

later academic- the pre raphs (late 1800's) because of the stories. the loveliness and decadence. because i want to be one.

others, et all- kit williams the english guy with wacky eyes and beautiful rabbits. judy chicago because she has balls. arabus. keith herring. jesus morales, the sculptor. many many others-

i also love the 'non-fine arts' (according to the cannon) including 'crafts' from many areas, religious art, street art- and the art my kids make at school.

art folks, keep your eyes out for a young artist named pepper. he is mad good at it and will be a name someday. he's got the skills, but also the creativity, the imagination and the work ethic.
fun thread-
 spiritofecstacy
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/17/2006 5:20:02 AM
There must be something wrong with me, I just love ART so much, its hard to find a favourite! I like Art Deco, so I guess Tamara de Lempicka, also like Picasso, Dali. Wish I could respond to Eugene56 on his question about the last supper but not sure I have the grey cells! I guess I always just see that as it is but I know there has been some recent debate about some of the symbolism in that painting.

I only just joined this forum - so may not be replying correctly, be patient! I will learn!

Fabia
 spiritofecstacy
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/17/2006 5:22:20 AM
Ah, I get the hang of this now. I need to reply to you. I just replied on another message. I doubt that I have the grey cells to comment on your question with confidence. I only know that recently, there has been some debate about the symbolism of this painting. I only ever just saw it as represented, without looking deeper, perhaps I should revisit and take a longer look?

Fabia
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Favorite FINE ARTIST and WHY ??(not a music thread)